PDA

View Full Version : Some Beard Art by Russian Artist Vasily Lozhkin

rms2
02-22-2014, 08:18 PM
I like Lozhkin's work, at least some of it. It's bizarre.

Here are two related works. The nice, brightly colored one is entitled, "Life with a Beard". The gray, gloomy-looking painting is "Life without a Beard".

1467 1468

Stellaritic
02-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Actually,it is very hard to eat with a beard. :biggrin1: I occasionally chewed on my mustache when I was growing a wild beard .

rms2
02-23-2014, 04:56 PM
I have to trim my moustache every few days to keep it from growing over my upper lip. I am blessed with pretty thick facial hair. Most of the time I am clean shaven, but periodically I re-grow my beard. Right now I have a moustache and goatee rather than a full beard.

DMXX
02-23-2014, 06:52 PM
... but periodically I re-grow my beard.

I've heard that periodical grow-out is pretty good for your facial skin. Never looked into it but it makes sense; applying harsh chemicals and a blade frequently can't be good for it. My skin always feels rejuvenated after doing that either way.

Sein
03-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Well, since this thread is about beards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUx7ek3o-y0

Scroll to 34:43, and watch till 39:46.

The setting matches Lozhkin's piece "Life with a Beard". Very beautiful background, rather verdant. This is Khost (I think, as the Pashto dialect is very similar to how people from Parachinar and Loya Paktia talk. Also, this can't be Kandahar, and the Pashto is too divergent for this to be Kunar, Laghman, Nangarhar, or Nuristan. That leaves us with Khost. Also, they look like border Pashtuns, very typical of people who live on the Durand Line), right on the Durand Line, close to NW Pakistan. As you can see, every adult male has a beard. My knowledge of the German language is abysmal, so it was very hard for me to figure out what these gentleman were discussing (I wish they could've avoided dubbing. All they needed to do was put up the German translation in text). But based on what I could hear underneath that forbidding German voice (:P), they are debating/discussing a few things regarding the Taliban, and are also discussing the NATO presence in Afghanistan. This sort of gathering happens when a feud between families is settled (but, that still doesn't make sense). These people are, obviously, all Pashtuns. The rest of the documentary, both before and after 34:43-39:46, looks pretty interesting, but I just don't have any working knowledge of German. If anyone does understand German, please do share with us, I'm interested in what the whole thing is trying to convey.