PDA

View Full Version : the word lucente

JerryS.
12-20-2020, 10:44 PM
Does the word lucente mean anything in Spanish? This is a surname [Lucente] in my family, pronounced Loo-chen-tay in Italian. I heard once before that it was some sort of Spanish word for shiny.

Thank you.

rober_tce
12-20-2020, 10:56 PM
"Lucente" don't exist in spanish, but "lucencia" does. It means shinny, clearity. It's the most similar term respect to lucente.

passenger
12-20-2020, 11:09 PM
"Lucente" exists with that meaning in Portuguese, but I think it's much more common to say "luzente" or "reluzente".

Shadogowah
12-20-2020, 11:57 PM
Does the word lucente mean anything in Spanish? This is a surname [Lucente] pronounced Loo-chen-tay in Italian. I heard once before that it was some sort of Spanish word for shiny.

Thank you.

The correct form in -modern- Spanish would be "luciente".

It is an adjective formed from the verb "lucir" ("to shine" but also "to sport" or "to display", like a boy with new fancy shoes or a soldier with medals) and is an evolution from exactly the same thing in Latin: Lucens / Lucentis.

Spanish language tends to introduce a diphthong. A linguist can explain the reasons far better than me.

However, I suspect that the word "Lucente" could actually be an archaism and it is very possible that it actually existed in Old Spanish.

-----

I add that "lucente" in Spanish has a different pronunciation than in Italian (Loo-chen-tay) and would sound to an English speaker more like (Loo-then-tay) "th" like in "thick" or "thermal"