PDA

View Full Version : MyHeritage new region update has been released, post your new results here.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Adamm
12-23-2020, 07:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CCb1Mhi.png

For me it is very accurate when it comes to the North African regions, the Portugal region I have no clue about.

cvolt
12-23-2020, 07:19 PM
I'm still waiting to get it :/

Greekscholar
12-23-2020, 07:26 PM
My dad and I got

Greece

Greece/Cyprus/Egypt

Eastern Slovakia, Eastern Hungary and Italy

My Yia Yia also got

Western North Carolina

No clue about the non-Greek ones. They are considered "low confidence" by the site.

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 07:32 PM
My mum got it but I didn’t and I paid! ��

https://i.imgur.com/kohK2sH.png

Rwilson98
12-23-2020, 07:33 PM
Its literally the same percentages for the regions just with some groups added. Biggest anti-climax in update history lol

Adamm
12-23-2020, 07:35 PM
Its literally the same percentages for the regions just with some groups added. Biggest anti-climax in update history lol

Yes I hoped for an improved ethnicity estimate, guess we'll have to wait another 10 years in order for that to happen.

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 07:35 PM
It’s not anticlimax it tells us regions which the previous one didn’t.

Dorkymon
12-23-2020, 07:37 PM
My 4 kits tested there and 1 uploaded have not updated yet.

passenger
12-23-2020, 07:39 PM
Kind of cool, but somewhat underwhelming. I haven't received any ethnicity update yet, just genetic regions.

My mom and I both got three overlapping Ashkenazi regions:

1) Eastern Europe, mostly Lithuania, Poland and Belarus
2) Eastern Europe, mostly Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Poland and Lithuania
3) Eastern and Central Europe, mostly Poland, Germany, Ukraine, Lithuania, Belarus and Russia

These seem extremely similar to AncestryDNA's "European Jewish" regions, which we haven't tested with (but my cousins, who have, got similar regions).

I also got an Additional Genetic Group in North America: Northeastern and Midwestern USA and Canada

My dad has 3 Additional Genetic Groups in North America, and, oddly enough, also gets an Ashkenazi Genetic Group, even though he barely has any Jewish matches. Maybe a clue to the mystery of his trace Middle Eastern percentage?

So far all of our Genetic Groups (with the possible exception of my dad's Ashkenazi) are logical and expected.

Luso
12-23-2020, 07:43 PM
I haven’t received any update or regions as of yet....

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 07:43 PM
I’m beyond annoyed that my results haven’t updated but my mothers have.

Luso
12-23-2020, 07:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CCb1Mhi.png

For me it is very accurate when it comes to the North African regions, the Portugal region I have no clue about.
Interesting you got Guarda. I’m not surprised it’s Portugal, but I wonder how they came to that region in particular.

jkotl0327
12-23-2020, 07:52 PM
Clearly a large number of people are still waiting to get updated. Including all five kits on my account. :(

coffeeprince
12-23-2020, 07:52 PM
They start at "Medium confidence" and here are the 6/8 groups given at medium confidence for me:

Ashkenazi Jewish

Europe, mostly Poland, Germany, Netherlands and England
Eastern and Central Europe, mostly Poland, Germany, Ukraine, Lithuania, Belarus and Russia
Poland, Hungary, Germany and Austria
Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Romania

Sephardic Jewish - North African

Western Morocco and Algeria

ADDITIONAL GENETIC GROUP
Turkey, Greece, Algeria, Morocco and France

Dorkymon
12-23-2020, 07:53 PM
Kind of cool, but somewhat underwhelming. I haven't received any ethnicity update yet, just genetic regions.

My mom and I both got three overlapping Ashkenazi regions:

1) Eastern Europe, mostly Lithuania, Poland and Belarus
2) Eastern Europe, mostly Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Poland and Lithuania
3) Eastern and Central Europe, mostly Poland, Germany, Ukraine, Lithuania, Belarus and Russia

Do they call them Ashkenazi?

passenger
12-23-2020, 07:55 PM
Do they call them Ashkenazi?

The regions themselves are not labeled "Ashkenazi", but they are listed under our "Ashkenazi Jewish" percentage in the ethnicity breakdown.

jkotl0327
12-23-2020, 07:55 PM
They start at "Medium confidence" and here are the 6/8 groups given at medium confidence for me:

Ashkenazi Jewish

Europe, mostly Poland, Germany, Netherlands and England
Eastern and Central Europe, mostly Poland, Germany, Ukraine, Lithuania, Belarus and Russia
Poland, Hungary, Germany and Austria
Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Romania

Sephardic Jewish - North African

Western Morocco and Algeria

ADDITIONAL GENETIC GROUP
Turkey, Greece, Algeria, Morocco and France

Are you fully Sephardi, to your knowledge? I mean I get that there's Ashkenazi and Sephardi overlap, very hard to distinguish blah blah blah, but what's the point to do this if they give you a bunch of Ashkenazi groups when you don't have ancestors from there. Also is your additional one Jewish?

JMcB
12-23-2020, 07:56 PM
Like some of the others my Ethnicity Estimates haven’t changed. Although, they did give me three Genetic Communities.

UK and Ireland

Southern USA

French settlers in Northeastern USA and in Canada (Quebec and Ontario)

While they got the area right, the settlers weren’t French. They where English Quakers who later sided with the Loyalists and moved to York (Toronto) after the Revolutionary War. The rest were later immigrants to New York (mid 1800s) from England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany & Sicily.

Mine is from an upload that according to them should warrant an upgrade. Whenever it comes.

timberwolf
12-23-2020, 07:59 PM
I think they are still updating, everything I refresh I get new genetic communities.

BananaPhoneica
how do they give me whole ass countries as a region? they give me the whole ass central europe bruh

coffeeprince
Are you fully Sephardi, to your knowledge? I mean I get that there's Ashkenazi and Sephardi overlap, very hard to distinguish blah blah blah, but what's the point to do this if they give you a bunch of Ashkenazi groups when you don't have ancestors from there. Also is your additional one Jewish?

I'm half Ashkenazi/half Sephardi.

My fully Sephardi grandparent actually receives more genetic groups than I do - 9, but only 5/9 at medium confidence. At "High Confidence", grandparent only receives "Europe, mostly Poland, Germany, Netherlands and England" even though there is no ancestry from there.

jkotl0327
12-23-2020, 08:00 PM
I'm half Ashkenazi/half Sephardi.

My fully Sephardi grandparent actually receives more genetic groups than I do - 9, but only 5/9 at medium confidence. At "High Confidence", grandparent only receives "Europe, mostly Poland, Germany, Netherlands and England" even though there is no ancestry from there.

Ok that makes more sense. The England/Netherlands Ashkenazi group probably includes quite a bit of Sephardi overlap

JFWinstone
12-23-2020, 08:04 PM
Mine (all uploads), looks very interesting :)

23andme V4:
Southern England and India
England #13
Eastern and Southeastern England
Netherlands (North Holland)
England #11
French settlers in Reunion

Ancestry:
Southeastern and Eastern England
England #13
England #11

23andme V5:
England #13
Eastern and Southeastern England
England #11

FTDNA:

England #13
England #11
England, Italy and France

Xeon
12-23-2020, 08:05 PM
is this update available for anyone who has taken a test with them for the last 3-4 years? Have they stated that their new algorithm is compatible with their older chips?

coffeeprince
12-23-2020, 08:07 PM
is this update available for anyone who has taken a test with them for the last 3-4 years? Have they stated that their new algorithm is compatible with their older chips?

I literally uploaded my autosomal data the first day they started ethnicity estimates, so yes, it's available for everyone.

JFWinstone
12-23-2020, 08:08 PM
My mum

Ancestry:
England
Northwestern Germany

23andme V5:

JFWinstone
12-23-2020, 08:11 PM
Dad 23andme V5:

England #13
Southern and Midwestern USA
England #11
Netherlands (South Holland, North Holland, Gelderland and Utrecht)

23abc
12-23-2020, 08:11 PM
My MyHeritage Kit has 0 groups, 23andMe upload has only a single group Greece (Kalymnos) group and my AncestryDNA upload (locked) has 7 genetic groups, which I will not pay to see. My mother has 5 genetic groups (AncestryDNA upload), but is also locked and I'm not willing to pay to see them.

maroco
12-23-2020, 08:12 PM

I think I might be Moroccan, mind blowing for me I never knew

Chatzianastasoglou
12-23-2020, 08:14 PM
My "Greek and Southern Italian" is now grouped as "Greece (Epirus)" and "Greece" with high confidence level and "North Macedonia and Albania" + "Albania, Serbia, North Macedonia and Turkey (Istanbul)" with medium confidence level. Quite accurate.

Caius Agrippa
12-23-2020, 08:16 PM
My genetic groups are very accurate:

From the ''Iberian'' category I got

1. Brazil (Portuguese colonists and North Italians in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais)
2. Portugal (Portuguese in Portugal and their descendants in Brazil - Rio de Janeiro)
3. Italy - Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia ( Italians in Italy and their descendants in Brazil - São Paulo)
4. Brazil (Brazilians with African ancestry and Iberian ancestry - Minas Gerais, Bahia and Rio de Janeiro)

From the Italian category I got:

1. Italy - Veneto and Lombardy (Italians in Italy and their descendants in Rio Grande do Sul)

jkotl0327
12-23-2020, 08:19 PM
It's not just that I don't have genetic groups...

The graphics even still look like this as opposed to what you guys are showing

MR J
12-23-2020, 08:21 PM
My groups are Southern United States. Imagine that. It seems MyHeritage will do anything to avoid updating ethnicity estimates by coming up with all these new bells and whistles.

jkotl0327
12-23-2020, 08:22 PM
My groups are Southern United States. Imagine that. It seems MyHeritage will do anything to avoid updating ethnicity estimates by coming up with all these new bells and whistles.

Yeah if only I actually saw a bell/whistle...

emc
12-23-2020, 08:23 PM
My genetic groups are very accurate:

From the ''Iberian'' category I got

1. Brazil (Portuguese colonists and North Italians in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais)
2. Portugal (Portuguese in Portugal and their descendants in Brazil - Rio de Janeiro)
3. Italy - Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia ( Italians in Italy and their descendants in Brazil - São Paulo)
4. Brazil (Brazilians with African ancestry and Iberian ancestry - Minas Gerais, Bahia and Rio de Janeiro)

From the Italian category I got:

1. Italy - Veneto and Lombardy (Italians in Italy and their descendants in Rio Grande do Sul)

Did you get new results too or just the Genetic Groups?

cvolt
12-23-2020, 08:25 PM
I finally got it.. I only have 1 region

Bul
12-23-2020, 08:27 PM
All they were talking about were the genetic groups so.. does it mean there won't be an ethnicity update at all? Only the groups?

timberwolf
12-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Was not too bad.

Did not get Cornwall, how did they miss that? Communities were what I expected very UK, plus the Midwest in the US, were I know I have relatives and Nova Scotia in Canada.

Only thing out of leftfield was western Finland, that is a new one for me. Go Finland

jkotl0327
12-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Finally got just genetic groups...
The non-Ashkenazi ethnicities didn't get any groups which I expected since I don't have any real non-Ashkenazi in recent generations, before the mid-1700s for sure.
For Ashkenazi all the kits in my family get 4-6 groups, the high confidence ones are "more accurate" but they all overlap to the point where it is almost meaningless.

Caius Agrippa
12-23-2020, 08:31 PM
Did you get new results too or just the Genetic Groups?

Just genetic groups. I hope they will change the results soon.

maroco
12-23-2020, 08:32 PM
If their are any East Africans, specifically Somalians can you post your results please I’m
Very interested in your genetic groups

laulei
12-23-2020, 08:33 PM
All of the regions look correct except for Texas and I'm not sure about the Eastern European region since it seems to be an exclusively Ashkenazi jewish genetic group. I also get it on my ancestry upload.

cvolt
12-23-2020, 08:34 PM
I'm wondering why they would assign groups before an update of the percentages? It sounds better to assign the groups after they released the new ethnicity estimates...

emc
12-23-2020, 08:35 PM
Just genetic groups. I hope they will change the results soon.

Thanks for your answer. Same thing here.
I think the update is promising, too bad the current groups are based on my shitty results.

Bul
12-23-2020, 08:37 PM
I'm wondering why they would assign groups before an update of the percentages? It sounds better to assign the groups after they released the new ethnicity estimates...

I hope it's not because there will be only genetic groups, not an actual ethnicity update... which right now seems what's happeing...

starshiny
12-23-2020, 08:39 PM

I just asked them about this, let's see what they say

Luso
12-23-2020, 08:40 PM
My results:

https://i.imgur.com/iUXKXC1.png

I don't know what to think of it... Just basically saying I am all over Portugal lol.

Velislav
12-23-2020, 08:42 PM
Got Bulgaria, Romania and Serbia+Croatia as High confidence sub-regions while the non-Balkan components are without any sub-regions. Btw, the subregions are more than absurd and sometimes 20-30 for certain ethnicities which can make their accuracy really ambiguous.

Xeon
12-23-2020, 08:42 PM
to be fair, they have a massive database and to run the algorithm on each and every account will take a good amount of time. they are most likely releasing the update to groups of customers at a time

Bul
12-23-2020, 08:43 PM
Or they could've released the genetic groups earlier in order to ,,calm'' us. Because many people were really angry esp those who purchased kits recently but didn't receive updated results. Thank you for asking them let's hope they'll reply correctly!

Bul
12-23-2020, 08:46 PM
Got Bulgaria, Romania and Serbia+Croatia as High confidence sub-regions while the non-Balkan components are without any sub-regions. Btw, the subregions are more than absurd and sometimes 20-30 for certain ethnicities which can make their accuracy really ambiguous.

Yup , me as well! My highest confidence regioin is?!?
Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina :D
Bulgaria is medium not high... that's crazy... but I do appreciate they got my missing Eastern europan ancestry this time as a genetic groups.

Bul
12-23-2020, 08:48 PM

Yup , me as well! My highest confidence regioin is?!?
Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina :D
Bulgaria is medium not high... that's crazy... but I do appreciate they got my missing Eastern europan ancestry this time as a genetic group.

JJJ
12-23-2020, 08:58 PM
The groups are strange, I have low reliability in the only two Iberian / French / North African groups but medium in West Virginia ¿?

https://i.imgur.com/Q2ZRJfj.png

StillWater
12-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Have anyone's ethnicity %s changed?

Molfish
12-23-2020, 09:02 PM
Same ethnic percentages, new genetic groups.

Mine:
Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
80.6%
-Eastern Ireland and England - high confidence
-UK and Ireland
-French settlers in Northeastern USA and in Canada (Quebec and Ontario)
Scandinavian
19.4%
ADDITIONAL GENETIC GROUPS
-England (Midlands)
-England
-Northwestern England

Father's:

100.0%
-Eastern Ireland and England - high confidence
-UK and Ireland #12
-UK and Ireland #8
-Ireland

Mother's:

Scandinavian
45.9%
45.6%
-Northwestern England and Northern Wales
East European
7.3%
West Asian
1.2%
-England (Midlands) - high confidence
-Northwestern England #2 - high confidence
-England - high confidence
-Northwestern England #1
-England (West Midlands)
-England (Yorkshire)
-England (East Midlands)

Genetic groups are fairly correct apart from the French settlers, it's the ethnic percentages that need work as ever.

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16
12-23-2020, 09:07 PM

AFRICA
Kenyan
48.9%
Eastern Africa (Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Burundi)
Nigerian
28.2%
Maasai
17.3%
Central African
1.4%

ASIA
West Asian
4.2%

Suriname, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago and Africa (Nigeria, Liberia, Cote D'Ivoire and Ghana)
Spain, Portugal, Italy, Croatia and Turkey

Bul
12-23-2020, 09:09 PM
DNA features
Finally, Gilad spoke about the much-anticipated update to MyHeritage’s Ethnicity Estimate: Genetic Groups. This update will provide a much higher-resolution breakdown of DNA ethnicity — possibly, Gilad says, the highest-resolution on the market, with 2,000–3,000 geographic regions at first and perhaps 5,000 in a future update.

Genetic groups will break the existing 42 ethnicities down into subgroups, including ethnic groups such as the Basques, the Sámi, and the Bretons, and even identifying groups that came from a particular city, such as Moroccan Jews from Casablanca. When the feature is released, every person who has taken a MyHeritage DNA test will be able to access this information for free.

Re-reading this, I highly doubt there will be an actual ethnicity update..

cvolt
12-23-2020, 09:11 PM
Did we all get bamboozled together?

indorabian
12-23-2020, 09:14 PM
I just emailed them (I have also asked about the ethnicity estimate update)! I am half Indonesian half Yemeni yet they give me this group: GENETIC GROUPS
Curacao, Caribbean Netherlands, Venezuela and Netherlands

Seems they are drunk or something....

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 09:17 PM
I have received my results. I am not sure how to interpret them. There is a U.K. 8 and 12.

https://i.imgur.com/hHfg0oJ.png

https://i.imgur.com/JySEZIT.png

https://i.imgur.com/aEwGxU8.png

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 09:20 PM
U.K. 12 appears to be Ulster Scots and The Glasgow community is an Irish migratory one.

Surname comparisons:

https://i.imgur.com/MuGUf2u.png

https://i.imgur.com/Uouq1Z2.png

https://i.imgur.com/JdUPXxA.png

https://i.imgur.com/rC0hhZp.png

My immigrants to Glasgow are actually Protestants. I wonder if that is the same as the SW Scotland community on AncestryDNA?

Borte
12-23-2020, 09:25 PM
My disappointment is immeasurable and my day has been ruined.

My son is highly mixed with 6 ethnicities and all he gets is USA and Southern USA. My mom only gets USA. My husband from North Carolina gets North Carolina.

Nothing for the plethora of ethnicities they give me or my family. Only my dad gets Poland. Good to know where I live. I didn't know that!

Mstock
12-23-2020, 09:25 PM
They gave me a genetic community in Italy termini imerese Sicily at medium confidence. I have no Italian ancestors that I have found.

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 09:28 PM
It’s disappointing on regionality.

Bul
12-23-2020, 09:30 PM
Oh i forgot they also made me greek :D
Greeks in Greece and some of their descendants in the United States...
I feel for everyone who has genetic groups they shouldn't belong to.

starshiny
12-23-2020, 09:44 PM
DNA features
Finally, Gilad spoke about the much-anticipated update to MyHeritage’s Ethnicity Estimate: Genetic Groups. This update will provide a much higher-resolution breakdown of DNA ethnicity — possibly, Gilad says, the highest-resolution on the market, with 2,000–3,000 geographic regions at first and perhaps 5,000 in a future update.

Genetic groups will break the existing 42 ethnicities down into subgroups, including ethnic groups such as the Basques, the Sámi, and the Bretons, and even identifying groups that came from a particular city, such as Moroccan Jews from Casablanca. When the feature is released, every person who has taken a MyHeritage DNA test will be able to access this information for free.

Re-reading this, I highly doubt there will be an actual ethnicity update..

This is what I was going to talk about, now I have looked at the genetic groups and it seems that they do not have Sami or Basque (at least I personally do not see them), they also have poorly classified groups, the indigenous people of Canada are in the Mesoamerican category and Andean. Genetic groups seem to be quite generic and quite strange. I understand, their algorithm is basically the same as before, I would say that the results they give me are even worse than before because the group they give me is from a category that I don't have and they put 0% on the page so they contradict themselves. .. It seems that with the genetic groups they have also done misleading advertising. I really hope they have placed the genetic groups to prevent people from reporting them and give us a decent update ...

Saetro
12-23-2020, 09:46 PM
Was not too bad.

Did not get Cornwall, how did they miss that? Communities were what I expected very UK, plus the Midwest in the US, were I know I have relatives and Nova Scotia in Canada.

Only thing out of leftfield was western Finland, that is a new one for me. Go Finland

Cornish is a surprising omission.
I know a lot of Australians who have DNA at MyHeritage.
And many Australians have Cornish. (And they showed up in Ancestry's similar regions.)
But MyHeritage has marketed their strength as European mainland, so maybe they don't have quite enough Cornish yet.

My own matches have about 1/4 the number of Cornish descended matches as I have at Ancestry.
It's probably just a matter of time.

And they were NOT LOCKED.

mokordo
12-23-2020, 09:49 PM
Me:
https://i.imgur.com/eUR5jSH.png

My father:
https://i.imgur.com/dhggQO5.png

My mother(I cannot vary the level of reliability of my mother's results,it does not offer me that option):
https://i.imgur.com/NUwu11C.png

CyrylBojarski
12-23-2020, 09:50 PM
My MyHeritage Kit has 0 groups, 23andMe upload has only a single group Greece (Kalymnos) group and my AncestryDNA upload (locked) has 7 genetic groups, which I will not pay to see. My mother has 5 genetic groups (AncestryDNA upload), but is also locked and I'm not willing to pay to see them.

You can see your locked results by creating new account and getting free trial for 14 days, I created now and I will see mine updated results in 24-48 hours

Saetro
12-23-2020, 09:51 PM
Polish English region ancestors?!?!?!

My part Polish ancestors left that land 180 years or so ago.
They never became Polish-English, because those two threads only merged among my ancestors when my parents married.

What is interesting is that Poles with enough similarity to mine made it to England - probably some time in the last 80 years.

cvolt
12-23-2020, 09:53 PM
I don't understand how percentage this high doesn't have any group on any confidence level :/
https://i.imgur.com/1taBDs7.png

lacreme
12-23-2020, 10:09 PM
My Greek friend's mother
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?22340-Greek-MyHeritage-Gedmatch-results-(25-Sfakia-12-5-Milos-Asia-Minor-each-50-)
got 3 genetic groups in Greece as to be expected, a generic "Greece" which is somehow only at medium confidence, Crete at high and Peloponnese/Attica at low...

My friend, (her son) on the other hand...
https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?19439-Greek-Gedmatch-Results-with-ancestry-from-various-parts-of-the-country
got also 3... the generic "Greece" which is, again only at medium confidence levels, Crete also at medium and... Romania of all places and not only that but at high confidence levels too ! :biggrin1:

Worth mentioning that my friend is a quarter Peloponnesian from Elis from his father's side yet he didn't get the Peloponnese/Attica group while his mother who right now is unknown if she has any Peloponnesian ancestry got it...

Funnily enough his assumed but NOT biological maternal grandfather, who is almost fully from a region of Achaea regional unit of Peloponnese and has a typical for the area arvanite/vlach genetic profile, while he scores the Romanian genetic group he only does that at medium confidence :biggrin1::biggrin1:

yeah......

at least it was free...

BalkanKiwi
12-23-2020, 10:19 PM
I'm not going to bother posting genetic communities for every family member, as most have similar groups. My sister and I have the most groups with 12 and 13 respectively. Here are mine and my father's groups. Currently the Balkan groups for me come under "Additional", because the estimate doesn't give me any Balkan. There's some consistently at least between this and 23andMe, which also gives me Split-Dalmatia.

Mine:

UK and Ireland #12
UK and Ireland #7
New Zealand, USA (Hawaii), Australia, UK and Ireland
England, Scotland, Germany and Poland
United Kingdom
England
Bosnia and Herzegovina and Southwestern Croatia
Scotland (Glasgow and Lanarkshire), England and Poland
Netherlands, Germany and England
Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina
Croatia (Split-Dalmatia) and Bosnia and Herzegovina

Father:

Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia (Vojvodina)
Bosnia and Herzegovina and Southwestern Croatia
England, Scotland, Germany and Poland
England
New Zealand (North Island) and UK
Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina
United Kingdom
Croatia (Split-Dalmatia) and Bosnia and Herzegovina

boilermeschew827
12-23-2020, 10:29 PM
Still showing Irish...

I don't understand how Northern Germany is clustered with Poland and Czech, I did get Germany regions 2 and 4 - whatever that means.

My two cents:
-The German and Midwest US assignment is not wrong, that's exactly a brunt of my ancestry. They hit that one versus AncetsryDNA which doesn't cluster that GC for me.
-surprised at no Russian group assignments for myself
-French regions are geared more to North American French. I won't be upgrading my grandma's kit to view her regions.
-It's hard to cluster Scandinavian region when I still have almost 20% Irish...

emc
12-23-2020, 10:31 PM
My disappointing results...
The new genetic groups are on point, but as MyHeritage assigns my main ancestry (Italian) just 1.4%, most of my groups are lumped at the end.

ph2ter
12-23-2020, 10:32 PM
My:

https://i.imgur.com/4HYHg29.png

dosas
12-23-2020, 10:32 PM
Not too bad (2/4 seem good):

Wife, pretty good:

Mother, pretty good:

Thanatos
12-23-2020, 10:34 PM
I gît that : 41935

I’m born in Lille and all my family is from that region si that’s not really a surprise to me ! But it’s à confirmation than northern France has a stronger relation with Belgium and Flanders than the rest of the country !

dosas
12-23-2020, 10:35 PM
Mine, West Asian seems underappreciated:

Bul
12-23-2020, 10:38 PM
То sum up my opinion, sorry if i repeat myself:
I see MH put a lot of effort creating the genetic groups. Not gonna lie, some of the sub-regions are truly amazing. What bothers me though is that they coulnd't be accurate with the current ethnicity estimate - for example around 1/4 (25%)of my ancestry, given by Living dna and Ancestry dna, isn't present in the current MH ethnicity estimate. With the geneitic groups, I get a subregion for it but as it's not been listed in my ethnicity estimates, it goes in the additional communities. Also, the current ethnicity estimate gives me large % Greece which is not true. What I want to say is that don't see how the genetic groups will be really accurate when they are connected with these old ethnicity estimates- their base increased much more since the previous one so many of the estimates should be seriously re-calculated. I thank my heritage for the new update but honestly it's not good without an ethnicity update. Let's hope this time they will tell us straightforward will there be an ethnicity update at all in the near future.

boilermeschew827
12-23-2020, 10:39 PM
My wife's, also not wrong. This is pretty much her AncestryDNA GCs:

jadegreg
12-23-2020, 10:40 PM
My disappointing results...
The new genetic groups are on point, but as MyHeritage assigns my main ancestry (Italian) just 1.4%, most of my groups are lumped at the end.

Same for myself. Nearly 70% N & W Europe, but no groups from there, all English lumped on at the end....

23abc
12-23-2020, 10:40 PM
Managed to get a free trial to see the AncestryDNA kits.

Me

https://imgur.com/3C4OTTX.png

Mother

https://imgur.com/kCWcVfK.png

Apparently my mother has a 'medium' chance of being Norwegian. :lol: And a 'low' chance of being Greek. :behindsofa:

Adamm
12-23-2020, 10:43 PM
Interesting you got Guarda. I’m not surprised it’s Portugal, but I wonder how they came to that region in particular.

I think its because most of my Iberian matches come from that region inside the Iberian Peninsula, it looks like to me the regions are based upon your DNA matches.

timberwolf
12-23-2020, 10:53 PM
GENETIC GROUPS Kit 1
England #13
England (West Midlands)
UK and Ireland
England, Scotland and Ireland
England #11
England and Scotland
Northeastern and Midwestern USA
Western Finland

Kit 2

UK and Ireland #12
England #13
England #11
England (West Midlands)
England and Scotland
Canada (Southwestern Nova Scotia) and USA (Massachusetts)
Southern England
UK and Ireland #4

Stellaritic
12-23-2020, 10:56 PM
This at high confidence level

Riverman
12-23-2020, 10:56 PM
The percentages for me are the same. What they got right, however, is the regions for her and at least the major regional groupings for me too. Funny how they got Czech right for the regions, but its not reflected in the ancestry composition at all. If they translate the regions into correct percentages, one might have hope for the future update.

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 10:58 PM
I’m not sure why I just got generalised regions. My Dna is very specific to Northern and Northwest Ulster and Scotland.

It’s a bit weird that Americans would have more regionality than me.

Fitis
12-23-2020, 10:59 PM
My Father (Limousin, Occitania, France) / relatively accurate:
https://zupimages.net/up/20/52/48sr.png (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/52/48sr.png)

My Mother (Burgundy + Rhône-Alpes, France) / several wrong regions:
https://zupimages.net/up/20/52/3iab.png (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/52/3iab.png)

Me:
https://zupimages.net/up/20/52/3g82.png (https://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=20/52/3g82.png)

We need an ethnicity estimate update!

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 11:01 PM
GENETIC GROUPS Kit 1
England #13
England (West Midlands)
UK and Ireland
England #11
England and Scotland
Western Finland

Kit 2

UK and Ireland #12
England #13
England #11
England (West Midlands)
England and Scotland
Canada (Southwestern Nova Scotia) and USA (Massachusetts)
Southern England
UK and Ireland #4

When was your most recent foreign ancestor?

lana6765
12-23-2020, 11:02 PM
@ High Confidence

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 71.1%
UK and Ireland #8
Ireland (Mayo, Galway, Roscommon and Sligo)
Northwestern Wales (Gwynedd)

English 0%
England #13

starshiny
12-23-2020, 11:05 PM
Managed to get a free trial to see the AncestryDNA kits.

Me

https://imgur.com/3C4OTTX.png

Mother

https://imgur.com/kCWcVfK.png

Apparently my mother has a 'medium' chance of being Norwegian. :lol: And a 'low' chance of being Greek. :behindsofa:
I just realized that they have my ethnicity (Romani) but they do not associate me with them and I am half, seriously is it so difficult for MH?

Trelvern
12-23-2020, 11:06 PM
Still the same:

Brittany OK
but Dominican Republic and Columbia it's too much!

firemonkey
12-23-2020, 11:08 PM
No blinding revelations .Nothing unexpected.

boilermeschew827
12-23-2020, 11:09 PM
Still the same:

Brittany OK
but Dominican Republic and Columbia it's too much!

Now I am curious as to what my grandma might get lol

jadegreg
12-23-2020, 11:09 PM
@ High Confidence

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 71.1%
UK and Ireland #8

English 0%
England #13

Could you post at all confidence levels? I'm particularly interested in your results.

Is this your Ancestry or 23&me upload?

timberwolf
12-23-2020, 11:10 PM
When was your most recent foreign ancestor?

?

All of my ancestors who emigrated to NZ were mostly Cornish, some came from Belfast others from Gloucester Oxford and Suffolk.

Looking at most of my genetic communities they seem to be linked to British emigration to Australia and NZ.

Actually I am quite happy with this update. The titles given to the different genetic groups needs some work. England 13 is not user friendly.

Tz85
12-23-2020, 11:12 PM
Lmao this is absolute garbage.

lana6765
12-23-2020, 11:15 PM
Could you post at all confidence levels? I'm particularly interested in your results.

Is this your Ancestry or 23&me upload?

Yeah sure. This is my AncestryDNA upload. I haven't unlocked my 23andme upload yet.

Medium

UK and Ireland #8
Pennsylvania and New York
England #14
UK and Ireland #12

England #13
England and Scotland

Low

USA (New York City, Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago) and Australia

England #11

ph2ter
12-23-2020, 11:20 PM
My father's:

https://i.imgur.com/xorwKG6.png

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 11:22 PM
I don't really understand the different UK groups. I am only going on the surnames and the other regions they are closely linked with.

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 11:23 PM
?

All of my ancestors who emigrated to NZ were mostly Cornish, some came from Belfast others from Gloucester Oxford and Suffolk.

Looking at most of my genetic communities they seem to be linked to British emigration to Australia and NZ.

Actually I am quite happy with this update. The titles given to the different genetic groups needs some work. England 13 is not user friendly.

You have very specific and regionalised results for a person not born in the British Isles.

RCO
12-23-2020, 11:24 PM
Very nice, MyHeritage has correctly identified my regional origins in Brazil with High Confidence - Grau de Confiança: Alto

https://i.imgur.com/CFWodLe.jpg

ph2ter
12-23-2020, 11:27 PM
Need not to be so negative.
The genetic groups only show where genetically related people from their database are located.

Trelvern
12-23-2020, 11:30 PM
Place names:

1600/1650

Cléguer, Brittany, France
Caudan, Brittany, France
Hennebont, Brittany, France
Lanvaudan, Brittany, France
Lanvellec, Brittany, France
Plouay, Brittany, France
Quistinic, Brittany, France
Gestel, Brittany, France
Guidel, Brittany, France

1650/1700

Languidic, Brittany, France
Plouay, Brittany, France
France
Lannion, Brittany, France
Ploubezre, Brittany, France

1700/1750

Scaër, Brittany, France
France
Brittany, France
Gestel, Brittany, France
Guern, Brittany, France
Ploemeur, Brittany, France
Plouay, Brittany, France

1750/1800

Arzano, Brittany, France
Brittany, France
Scaër, Brittany, France
Guern, Brittany, France

1800/1850

Caudan, Brittany, France
Guidel, Brittany, France
Scaër, Brittany, France
Arzano, Brittany, France
Brest, Brittany, France
Bubry, Brittany, France

1850/1900

Brest, Brittany, France
Lorient, Brittany, France
Caudan, Brittany, France
Paris, Île-de-France, France
Quimperlé, Brittany, France
Le Havre, Normandy, France

1900/1950

Brest, Brittany, France
Concarneau, Brittany, France
Nantes, Pays de la Loire, France
Pont-Aven, Brittany, France
Guérande, Pays de la Loire, France

1950/2000

Morlaix, Brittany, France
Rennes, Brittany, France
Pontivy, Brittany, France
Saint-Brieuc, Brittany, France
Guémené-sur-Scorff, Brittany, France

timberwolf
12-23-2020, 11:36 PM
You have very specific and regionalised results for a person not born in the British Isles.

Yes it is rather interesting.

There are a couple of lines on the family tree that may have non UK Irish origins, one record line of inquiry I did explore was one potential ancestor who married a woman who's surname was common with the Swedish community in Finland however this is about 270 years ago and it would be drawing a very long bow to draw any conclusion from it. But as I said it is interesting.

I thought if I was going to get a non UK group I would have thought France would have been far more likely.

Finland is a bit unique for me.

Trelvern
12-23-2020, 11:36 PM
Now I am curious as to what my grandma might get lol

i guess she's not a narco like me;)

Borte
12-23-2020, 11:38 PM
It seems like I am the only one whose family didn't get any ethnicities? Being from North Carolina isn't an ethnicity. Missing Iranian, Italian, Balkan, Eastern European, and all the fake ethnicities of Middle East, Africa, Jewish, Scandinavia etc. I mean everyone is posting countries and my mom and son's countries are the US?? I mean they could be Chinese. US is meaningless. They are not colonial descendants except in very small percentage.

digital_noise
12-23-2020, 11:40 PM

What a let down. I have the same old estimate, but 3 groups, all Scandinavian. The kicker is Varmland Sweden is right but MH never has assigned me any Scandinavian...

Bygdedweller
12-23-2020, 11:40 PM
Fun update IMO. I didn't get the impression they were going to update the ethnicities, just add the various sub-groups. Either way, I wouldn't expect them to get everything right at once, and it's good they're releasing in any case. Mine were overall accurate, but I've got one group called "England, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark" and it just says "English, Germans, Dutch and Scandinavians in England, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden and in Denmark, and their descendants in Northeastern and in Midwestern United States". A bit weird. Guess this stuff will become more refined as they get more feedback from users.

passenger
12-23-2020, 11:49 PM
It seems like I am the only one whose family didn't get any ethnicities? Being from North Carolina isn't an ethnicity. Missing Iranian, Italian, Balkan, Eastern European, and all the fake ethnicities of Middle East, Africa, Jewish, Scandinavia etc. I mean everyone is posting countries and my mom and son's countries are the US?? I mean they could be Chinese. US is meaningless. They are not colonial descendants except in very small percentage.

What do you mean by "fake ethnicities"? I'm sure the U.S. is not supposed to represent an ethnic region in the sense of pre-colonial point of origin. It's like the "Additional Communities" you can get on AncestryDNA, which tie you to groups of settlers or branches of a diasporic community. I understand it can be disappointing though. My dad's communities were pretty much what he got on AncestryDNA - all North America and not a single group in Europe, except for the unexpected Ashkenazi, which doesn't directly correspond to any of his assigned "ethnicity" percentages.

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 11:52 PM
I seem to be noticing a migratory pattern. These Genetic Groupings seem to be migrations not places where our ancestors lived. Which is what I want to see.

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 11:54 PM
Place names:

1600/1650

Caudan, Brittany, France
Plouay, Brittany, France
Gestel, Brittany, France
Guidel, Brittany, France

1650/1700

Plouay, Brittany, France
France
Ploubezre, Brittany, France

1700/1750

Scaër, Brittany, France
France
Brittany, France
Gestel, Brittany, France
Guern, Brittany, France
Plouay, Brittany, France

1750/1800

Arzano, Brittany, France
Brittany, France
Scaër, Brittany, France
Guern, Brittany, France

1800/1850

Caudan, Brittany, France
Guidel, Brittany, France
Scaër, Brittany, France
Arzano, Brittany, France
Brest, Brittany, France
Bubry, Brittany, France

1850/1900

Brest, Brittany, France
Caudan, Brittany, France
Quimperlé, Brittany, France
Le Havre, Normandy, France

1900/1950

Brest, Brittany, France
Pont-Aven, Brittany, France
Guérande, Pays de la Loire, France

1950/2000

Morlaix, Brittany, France
Rennes, Brittany, France
Pontivy, Brittany, France
Saint-Brieuc, Brittany, France
Guémené-sur-Scorff, Brittany, France

Where did you get that?

Nqp15hhu
12-23-2020, 11:54 PM

No you're not alone. These communities look like migration communities.

lana6765
12-24-2020, 12:08 AM
I seem to be noticing a migratory pattern. These Genetic Groupings seem to be migrations not places where our ancestors lived. Which is what I want to see.

I'm somewhat interested in the migrations because a lot of my relatives migrated during the Great Famine. This is probably why I get these genetic groups:

But it would be cooler if they were distinguished in some way.

Nqp15hhu
12-24-2020, 12:10 AM
I was hoping it would be based on your ancestry. It's not that useful to me.

passenger
12-24-2020, 12:13 AM

That depends which ones you're talking about. Just looking at some of the results in this thread, there's an obvious correlation between some of the genetic communities and the paper trails of some members whose ancestors have been in one location for a long time. Of course these haven't shown up for everyone. There are also "additional genetic groups" which are clearly supposed to represent immigrant/settler/diaspora communities. These are just like AncestryDNA's "additional communities". I just think MH's presentation is a little bit amateurish and inconsistent (I don't understand, for instance, why some settler communities in North America are showing up attached to specific ethnicities, like English, and others are not, even when the person has been assigned that ethnicity). AncestryDNA's presentation of these communities seems more streamlined and intuitive. The descriptions of some of the communities leaves much to be desired here. Hopefully they'll continue to work on it and work out some of the kinks.

23abc
12-24-2020, 12:14 AM
I just realized that they have my ethnicity (Romani) but they do not associate me with them and I am half, seriously is it so difficult for MH?

Not sure. I haven't noticed any Romani matches so I'm not sure how she has a region for it. It seems very easy to not score regions, both of my sons don't score Kalymnos which is strange since most of the first few pages have roots from there. AncestryDNA seems to give many more regions than other companies, but I'm guessing if you have older versions of other companies like 23andMe v3 they would work just as well. The most recent kits seem to have bad overlap with the majority of testers, leading to much less matches and probably impacting the way genetic groups are scored.

Deftextra
12-24-2020, 12:14 AM
Nothing changed for me and my cousins and is as terrible as it was before. Only thing that changed is that I got added to the Somali genetic group, but at low confidence.

rober_tce
12-24-2020, 12:16 AM
The best thing of the new upgrade is the image of the Iberian ethnia: my favourite monument, the Alhambra of Granada

I'm 1/4 of Granada, so this make me be proud :biggrin1:

Respect to my results, no changes, the genetic groups are relatively accurate, concretely refered to South (Málaga) and East Spain, between others.

indorabian
12-24-2020, 12:26 AM

still... it does not make sense to me. As a Yemeni/Indonesian mixture why would I get Carribean, Venuzuelan as genetic group? They also mentioned 2 common roots: Nigerian/Sierra Leonean... I am none of both so weren't my ancestors.

there is a history about arabs migrated to southeast asia. why they do not add that group instead?!

RCO
12-24-2020, 12:27 AM
My father is from Santa Catarina, Brazil, we have been here for more than 300 years including our Y-DNA line and we have a kind of unique genetic mixture, Colonial Portuguese mainly from The Minho and Azores, specific genetic regions in Europe when they moved to Southern Brazilian first as Conquistadores, Bandeirantes and posterior immigrants from Portugal more the 19th Century German immigration and sometimes small Amerindian, African and other minor European components, so that's a unique genetic and genealogical blend easily recognizable anywhere and of course after 300 years we have several matches from the region, as we have our kind of Brazilian Portuguese we have our kind of Brazilian Portuguese regional varieties.

Nqp15hhu
12-24-2020, 12:30 AM
still... it does not make sense to me. As a Yemeni/Indonesian mixture why would I get Carribean, Venuzuelan as genetic group? They also mentioned 2 common roots: Nigerian/Sierra Leonean... I am none of both so weren't my ancestors.

there is a history about arabs migrated to southeast asia. why they do not add that group instead?!

Yeah I have American communities. It's places where your ancestors moved to.

jadegreg
12-24-2020, 12:36 AM
Yeah sure. This is my AncestryDNA upload. I haven't unlocked my 23andme upload yet.

Medium

UK and Ireland #8
England #14
UK and Ireland #12

England #13
England and Scotland

Low

England #11

I wouldn't bother unlocking the 23 & me upload, particularly a v5 chip one. I only got 3 genetic groups for that one, as compared to 6 for my Ancestry upload and 4 for my MH kit proper! I was expecting the 23 & me to be at least as good as the MH kit, given that they share more or less the same SNPs (23&me v5 and MHv2), but either the additional SNPs on the MHv2 make all the difference, or they are using an IBD model using both MH v1 and v2 SNPs.....

Has anyone here got both MH v1 and an Ancestry upload to compare the genetic groups to compare output?

Borte
12-24-2020, 12:36 AM
What do you mean by "fake ethnicities"? I'm sure the U.S. is not supposed to represent an ethnic region in the sense of pre-colonial point of origin. It's like the "Additional Communities" you can get on AncestryDNA, which tie you to groups of settlers or branches of a diasporic community. I understand it can be disappointing though. My dad's communities were pretty much what he got on AncestryDNA - all North America and not a single group in Europe, except for the unexpected Ashkenazi, which doesn't directly correspond to any of his assigned "ethnicity" percentages.

Fake ethnicities meant things I don't have unfortunately but are assigned to me and my family members (I wish I was Middle Eastern but that is just my son). For instance my dad is given Iberian in place of Italian and my husband gets Italian and Greek and he is just British and Irish and Dutch--he got Italian and my dad didn't. Oddly, my dad is the only one who got any substantial genetic grouping and got Poland even though they don't give him Eastern Euro, gets Balkan instead (which he is but we don't know what except Arbereshe but seems to be more).

Well on Ancestry you're given a region within the United States. One region they gave me, Midwest, I have zero ancestry in. My ancestry is Maryland (Colonial), Massachusetts (immigrant) and Illinois (just Chicago, immigrants) and that's it. My mom literally gets just "US and Canada" and my son "Southern US" and "US" which is 1/4 of him. No details. Luckily I know them. I was hoping my dad's Balkan would be pinpointed but literally no company has been able to even though he is a quarter Balkan.

Borte
12-24-2020, 12:38 AM

Unfortunately not much detail when just told "US and Canada". Ancestry at least got my mom's Maryland/Potomac ancestry region right. And Southern Italian included on everyones. Bizzare to be told just US. Seems like others are getting details at least.

indorabian
12-24-2020, 12:40 AM
Yeah I have American communities. It's places where your ancestors moved to.

my ancestors migrated from Yemen (Hadramaut) to Indonesia (island Java) and stay there and married natives there. So I do not know why get the Carribean, Venuzuelan, Curacao as region.. I am disappointed that MyHeritage are not aware of this migration :confused:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Indonesians

Borte
12-24-2020, 12:44 AM
I was hoping it would be based on your ancestry. It's not that useful to me.

I agree. Even worse when they just get "USA and Canada". But generally speaking I know where everyone is from in America. I need to know where they are from outside of America because of adoption and not having any relatives because were recent immigrants.

coffeeprince
my ancestors migrated from Yemen (Hadramaut) to Indonesia (island Java) and stay there and married natives there. So I do not know why get the Carribean, Venuzuelan, Curacao as region.. I am disappointed that MyHeritage is not aware of this migration :confused:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Indonesians

It's based on your DNA matches. Click on your genetic community and you can see what it was based on

For example, this is what it used for my Western Moroccan and Algeria community:
DNA kits used to form this group: 251
DNA kits linked to family trees: 76

jadegreg
Looking at the community sizes, for the IBD calculations, they do seem to be 'larger' than Ancestry's equivalents to create these genetic groupings. Similarly, For the UK, well England, it does appear lthat there are a larger number of communities. However, as Timberwolf says, just hashtag and a number is not particularly informative. It might have been better, if they had used headings and subheadings, much like Ancestry's Genetic Communities....

For England11, it might be Better under a South Eastern England Heading (AU/NZ Settlers subheading) or vice versa. It certainly would make it instantly clearer

indorabian
12-24-2020, 12:50 AM
It's based on your DNA matches. Click on your genetic community and you can see what it was based on

For example, this is what it used for my Western Moroccan and Algeria community:

FYI I have only 64 matches on MH (included parents and 1 sibling)
DNA kits used to form this group: 123
DNA kits linked to family trees: 59
Confidence level: Low

StillWater
12-24-2020, 12:51 AM
So far, I've seen ethnicity estimates change for 2 people. Anyone else?

indorabian
12-24-2020, 12:53 AM
So far, I've seen ethnicity estimates change for 2 people. Anyone else?

really? recent testers or old testers?

Pedro Ruben
12-24-2020, 01:01 AM
Pedro
https://i.imgur.com/tXk9mSb.jpg

Dad
https://i.imgur.com/l5ojMSQ.jpg

Mom
https://i.imgur.com/zHecTQG.jpg

Nqp15hhu
12-24-2020, 01:03 AM
Just noticed that my mother and I have two different maps for the British Isles. She also has an Irish and Irish & NI community (what is the difference?).

My map:

https://i.imgur.com/455mkIh.png

Mum’s map:

https://i.imgur.com/A5VoHEj.jpg

digital_noise
12-24-2020, 01:04 AM

Mine are not migration. Mine, well the one that I can actually confirm, is an ancestral location.

I think something like “New York” or whatnot is migration related.

Borte
12-24-2020, 01:06 AM

That explains everything. Italians at least with my matches, don't do trees. And then no Iranians do trees. Basically no trees so all that My Heritage can say is "US and Canada."

That also explains how my dad gets 70% Balkan but no Balkan community but gets Poland and Germany because he is Polish and all those cousins have very detailed trees but no one else, not the Italians or people of Balkans.

Borte
12-24-2020, 01:08 AM
Mine are not migration. Mine, well the one that I can actually confirm, is an ancestral location.

I think something like “New York” or whatnot is migration related.

You guys are lucky. Completely useless to be told the obvious. Like my husband lived in North Carolina all his life and surprise he gets North Carolina.

jadegreg
12-24-2020, 01:09 AM
Does anyone know if we're getting a white paper for this at some point? For that matter, is there one for the ethnicity estimates?

Magnetic
12-24-2020, 01:12 AM
hahaha in german it says "Truthahn" for Turkey xD . Truthahn means the animal / bird Turkey lmaoooo

https://up.picr.de/40153618sq.jpg

anyway my full results in english here :biggrin1:

https://up.picr.de/40153617ix.jpg

https://cdn.prod.www.spiegel.de/images/0f6a49de-0001-0004-0000-000000533120_w948_r1.77_fpx49.95_fpy54.99.jpg

Dorkymon
12-24-2020, 01:16 AM
I checked all available groups, and they don't have a country-level one for Moldova, let alone regions. There are three groups that say Moldova in the name:
1) Western Ukraine, Moldova and Northeastern Romania for Ukrainian ethnics in Moldova, Ukraine and NE Romania: "Ukrainians in Western Ukraine and some in Moldova and Northeastern Romania, and some of their descendants in Central Canada and in Northeastern and in Midwestern United States"
2) another one for Romani/Gypsies in Moldova, Romania, Croatia and Hungary.
3) Romania, Bulgaria, Italy and Moldova: "Balkans in Romania, Bulgaria, Italy and some in Moldova", which seems to be the more Southern version (https://i.imgur.com/IWrg0IQ.png) of the "Romania" group.

People with Moldovan/Romanian ancestry seem to be thrown in the "Romania" category, which extends into Moldova and even Ukraine.

I think I am going to write to them to request at least a country-level group for Moldova to be added in the future, because I have seen at least 100 kits, so there is demand from people tested here.

Also, who in their right mind thought that having a group "Polish people in Southern Italy" would be a good idea?

My kit
https://i.imgur.com/y72SGWF.png

https://i.imgur.com/yJwDiM6.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
With the uploaded from 23andme kit, I get a East Slavic to West Slavic group and France)

https://i.imgur.com/GU60tSD.png
https://i.imgur.com/supSt5l.png

Brother (he gets the group for Ukrainians from Moldova and a region in Germany)

https://i.imgur.com/7hblcm2.png

https://i.imgur.com/5MgvdAB.png

Dad (he gets the same Romania and then my East/West Slavic group from 23andme's upload and brother's Ukrainians from Moldova, Ukraine and Romania)

https://i.imgur.com/xwJS8zq.png

Mom (Romania and then the East Slavic to West Slavic group at lower confidence)

https://i.imgur.com/28K9cTn.png

The "Romania" category by the way extends into Moldova and covers parts of Ukraine too. Romanians would have been a better word probably.

https://i.imgur.com/ANGlXnz.png

At high confidence by the way, only the "Romania" category remains for brother and mom, while dad and I don't have any.

timberwolf
12-24-2020, 01:19 AM
There are some interesting groupings Like France 2 is Vietnamese in France. They need to change the names of their groups. Another one is titled UK,USA, Philippines, Canada and New Zealand which is Chinese and some Scottish, Irish and Filipinos in the United Kingdom and some in the United States, the Philippines, Canada and New Zealand. Unusual grouping.

Andrewid
12-24-2020, 01:28 AM
My ethnicity estimates don't seem to have changed from

Italian 27.1%
Greek and South Italian 16.7%
Ashkenazi Jewish 9.1%
Middle Eastern 24.6%
West Asian 11.9%
Sephardic Jewish 10.6%

This despite my profile showing 'DNA Updated'. What's weird is that I now have a 'medium' connection to genetic group 'eastern Ireland' and low connection to Cyprus. My father gets a medium genetic connection to County Wexford, Ireland and NW England, and low connection to Cyprus. I should stress that the chances of me having a genetic connection to Ireland are as strong as me officially being recognised as a leprechaun. Something is very wrong somewhere.

BalkanKiwi
12-24-2020, 01:34 AM
My ethnicity estimates don't seem to have changed from

Italian 27.1%
Greek and South Italian 16.7%
Ashkenazi Jewish 9.1%
Middle Eastern 24.6%
West Asian 11.9%
Sephardic Jewish 10.6%

This despite my profile showing 'DNA Updated'. What's weird is that I now have a 'medium' connection to genetic group 'eastern Ireland' and low connection to Cyprus. My father gets a medium genetic connection to County Wexford, Ireland and NW England, and low connection to Cyprus. I should stress that the chances of me having a genetic connection to Ireland are as strong as me officially being recognised as a leprechaun. Something is very wrong somewhere.

This wasn't an ethnicity estimate update.

indorabian
12-24-2020, 01:49 AM
I've heard some got an ethnicity estimate update as well.

timberwolf
12-24-2020, 01:57 AM

Who, any links or screenshots?

jkotl0327
12-24-2020, 01:58 AM

Haven't seen that. None of my 6 kits had any change. I hope they do release the update, the degree to which their estimates can be completely erroneous, especially their overuse of the Central Asian and Nigerian categories, can be mind-boggling to say the least.

Adamm
12-24-2020, 01:58 AM

Where did you hear that? (big if true)

indorabian
12-24-2020, 02:00 AM
23andme forum and this link mentioned new ethnicity estimate not genetic groups: https://familytreewebinars.com/webinar_details.php?webinar_id=1298

passenger
12-24-2020, 02:04 AM

I don't believe that means it's based on the DNA kits of your matches. They based these communities on certain select panels of existing customers in their database, and I believe that information on the number of DNA kits is simply telling us how many people were included in that reference group, regardless of whether they match you or not.

coffeeprince
12-24-2020, 02:06 AM
From their blog:

]More detailed Genetic Groups
We plan to continue to enrich Genetic Groups on MyHeritage over time, and add new information about each Genetic Group using the wealth of information on MyHeritage. More importantly, we plan to re-calculate Genetic Groups in the future with even more reference DNA kits, perhaps all 4.5 million DNA kits that are currently in our database – which means that the resolution and the number of Genetic Groups supported will increase and improve.

But first, we would like to receive the community’s feedback and make improvements to the first release. If you have suggestions for improving one or more of your Genetic Groups, for example you believe it is not accurately named or described, we’d love to hear from you. Please contact us at [email protected] and send us your feedback.

Better Ethnicity Estimates
The Genetic Groups update does not modify the top-level ethnicity estimates on MyHeritage – those 42 ethnicities with percentages, that we released 4 years ago. The ethnicity calculation is done separately from Genetic Groups using older technology that is outdated and in need of an overhaul. We are working on replacing the ethnicity estimates right now, and plan to roll out in 2021 much better ones based on totally new technology. Once we do that, Genetic Groups will improve too as their descriptions will become more accurate. The number of ethnicities will change and the percentages will become much more accurate. Stay tuned!

https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/12/myheritage-launches-genetic-groups/

New ethnicity estimate in 2021. :P

cvolt
12-24-2020, 02:10 AM
Lol..... See you guys in December 2021

jadegreg
12-24-2020, 02:12 AM
I think I read that there would be a presentation on the ethnicity estimates on January 26th. So that should mean we'll get the update circa December 2022, ibased on the rollout of the genetic groups

indorabian
12-24-2020, 02:17 AM
I think I read that there would be a presentation on the ethnicity estimates on January 26th. So that should mean we'll get the update circa December 2022, ibased on the rollout of the genetic groups

correct: https://familytreewebinars.com/webinar_details.php?webinar_id=1298

timberwolf
12-24-2020, 02:19 AM

Oh you cynic lol at least they did roll out something, while hardly perfect is at least an improvement. Even if I think some of the grouping leave a bit to be desired.

Still I can imagine the grumbles come May/June if there is no ancestry update by then on this forum.

Adamm
12-24-2020, 02:20 AM
"We are working on replacing the ethnicity estimates right now, and plan to roll out in 2021 much better ones based on totally new technology. Once we do that, Genetic Groups will improve too as their descriptions will become more accurate. The number of ethnicities will change and the percentages will become much more accurate. Stay tuned!"

Should be do a betting? Either 23andMe or FTDNA will have done some updates (again) before they (MyHeritage) rolls out their ethnicity estimate update :)

passenger
12-24-2020, 02:26 AM
"We are working on replacing the ethnicity estimates right now, and plan to roll out in 2021 much better ones based on totally new technology. Once we do that, Genetic Groups will improve too as their descriptions will become more accurate. The number of ethnicities will change and the percentages will become much more accurate. Stay tuned!"

Should be do a betting? Either 23andMe or FTDNA will have done some updates (again) before they (MyHeritage) rolls out their ethnicity estimate update :)

23andMe, almost for sure. FTDNA, no way. The next one's probably another 4 years off.

BalkanKiwi
12-24-2020, 02:36 AM
Ideally the ethnicity estimate update would have come first, followed by the groups. I'll return to this section in 2024 when they do a webinar announcing it for a Dec 2025 release.

vettor
12-24-2020, 03:13 AM
no change in the very new ethnicity for my percentages

https://i.postimg.cc/htvqdb35/new-my-heritage.png (https://postimg.cc/bs7MXbPx)

Veneto is correct......Lombardy ? ...should be Trentino

no change regardless if I use High or Low

I do not know what this below reflects
Additional Genetic Groups

USA (Southern Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois) and Canada (Ontario)
Portugal
West Virginia
Germany, Eastern France, Austria and Poland

Mr.G
12-24-2020, 03:15 AM
I think they still need a few more years to catch up to 23andMe. Or they could just hire Kaspias already.

https://i.imgur.com/1D8iw4b.png

vettor
12-24-2020, 03:17 AM
my Wife new split

Genetic Groups confidence level
High
Low
Showing 6/6

Europe
Italian
53.4%

Italy (Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia) #2
Italy (Veneto and Lombardy)
Italy (Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia) #1

Balkan
19.9%

Iberian
18.4%

North and West European
8.3%

Iberian is a cousin who left Italy and went to live in portugal 3 generations ago........I know of none other for iberia

digital_noise
12-24-2020, 03:24 AM
From their blog:

https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/12/myheritage-launches-genetic-groups/

New ethnicity estimate in 2021. :P
LO fucking L. What a joke

digital_noise
12-24-2020, 03:35 AM
BTW, the genetic groups are bugged. For example, my mother in law...

omgpeeps
12-24-2020, 04:21 AM
https://i.ibb.co/zRgcWjk/myh1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/cLNr1LR/Capturemyh2.jpg

Xeon
12-24-2020, 04:27 AM
BTW, the genetic groups are bugged. For example, my mother in law...

does it not show any west asian genetic groups? mine is literally the same as it was before the update but with a colour change...

digital_noise
12-24-2020, 04:43 AM
does it not show any west asian genetic groups? mine is literally the same as it was before the update but with a colour change...

Under West Asian at Low Confidence, it says Turkey, Syria and Jordan. She is Iranian. My father in law get Iranian, my wife gets Iranian as well as Turkey etc.. I think her moms side has some "other" as well as Iranian, but I havent been able to sort out what exactly.

JMcB
12-24-2020, 04:53 AM
This is what I suspected and it explains why I’m in a Genetic Community that’s purportedly made up of a French Settlers in the North Eastern United States & Canada. When I have very little, if any French ancestry genetically.

“Genetic Groups differ from Ethnicity Estimates, in that a particular group can be comprised of one or several ethnicities. Members of a group share geographic origins, but they may have members who come from diverse ethnic backgrounds.”

“Being a member of a Genetic Group does not come with a percentage; you are either a member of the group or you are not. If you are a member of a Genetic Group, it means that we found a sufficient number of segments in your DNA that associate you with that group”.

[…]

“Genetic Groups are tied to a population rather than to any one ethnicity, and within that population there can be multiple ethnicities. Please note that the placement of a Genetic Group does not necessarily explain why you are a member of that group, and once ethnicities on MyHeritage are refined (see more on that below), the placement of the Genetic Group might change in your results”.

So I will give them credit for finding what Ancestry missed. That is, the maternal side of my family. Who were all from New York City and it’s suburbs and Toronto, Canada.

oz
12-24-2020, 06:21 AM
Haha, I thought my update was bad.

My admixture percentages didn't change at all
57.5 Balkan
24 W Europe
12.5 Baltic
2.3 E Europe
3.7 Middle East

My genetic communities

High confidence: Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia (seems like a rather broad community and not too specific)

Medium confidence: Romania

Low confidence: Estonia

Achmadzaky
12-24-2020, 06:29 AM

braaah...

I've got nothing but colourized ethinicity estimates
even the genetic groups :D

(uploaded raw file from ftdna)

Avariel River
12-24-2020, 06:36 AM
The admixture is still the same, but the added regions are pretty interesting. Very close to my paper research.

84% North-West-Europe
* Lower Saxony, Westphalia, Overijssel, Limburg
* North Holland, South Holland, Utrecht, Gelderland
* Northern Germany, Poland and Czech
* (Lower Saxony)
* (NW Germany)
16% Scandinavia

Xeon
12-24-2020, 06:53 AM
Under West Asian at Low Confidence, it says Turkey, Syria and Jordan. She is Iranian. My father in law get Iranian, my wife gets Iranian as well as Turkey etc.. I think her moms side has some "other" as well as Iranian, but I havent been able to sort out what exactly.

Interesting, I'm not getting any groups. Its as if it hasn't updated for me yet. Not sure why that is

deadly77
12-24-2020, 07:10 AM
High confidence genetic groups41957
Medium confidence genetic groups (low confidence looks the same) 41958

Jessie
12-24-2020, 07:25 AM
These are the ones myself and family got.

Myself

Ireland
Ireland (Tipperary, Limerick and Dublin) and England
Ireland and Northern Ireland
England
UK and Ireland
Eastern and Midwestern USA
Southern USA

Mother

Ireland
Southwestern Ireland and England
UK and Ireland
Ireland (Clare, Tipperary and Limerick)
England
Ireland (Cork, Kerry and Limerick) and England
Eastern Ireland and England

Brother

Ireland
England #13
UK and Ireland
England #11

Daughter

Ireland
England and Ireland
Eastern Ireland and England
UK, Ireland and Germany
UK and Ireland #8
England
Ireland (Wexford)
UK and Ireland #12

Sam1989
12-24-2020, 07:37 AM
I got four genetic groups
Tunisia in low confidence
Turkey and the rest in medium
And the other two in high confidence

Pretty interesting results. They do make sense when I compare it to my G25 results.

The fact that two of these groups are not under any ethnicity probably means these are sephardic jews but not from north africa. I'm still waiting for a better ethnicity estimate to make the picture clearer.

ph2ter
12-24-2020, 07:40 AM
When you sellect all genetic groups then it is possible to see geographical distribution:

My groups:

https://i.imgur.com/Rv4G42w.png

https://i.imgur.com/c1h1Azo.png

https://i.imgur.com/73DwsHP.png

My father's group:

https://i.imgur.com/NQwRknl.png

https://i.imgur.com/XhtqSOY.png

geebee
12-24-2020, 08:19 AM
I'll post my new results with the actual MyHeritage here, but if you want to see a comparison with my previous results based on uploaded files from three different companies -- Ancestry, FTDNA, and 23andMe -- I've posted them at https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9093-MyHeritage-DNA-Results/page154&p=730147#post730147.

(Incidentally, I now also have updates based on each of the previous three files, though they did not change a whole lot.)

Europe 96.6%

North & West Europe 88.2%

Irish, Scottish, & Welsh 51.6%
North & West European 36.6%
South Europe 8.4%

Iberian 8.4%
Greek & South Italian 1.9%
America 2.3%

Central & South America 1.2%

Mesoamerican & Andean 1.2%
Native American 1.1%

Native American 1.1%
Asia 1.1%

Central Asia 1.1%

Central Asian 1.1%

These are pretty much the same at high, medium, and low confidence. The only thing that changes are my genetic groups, which are "Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee", "Creoles of Color in Louisiana", "Mississippi and Louisiana", and "Pennsylvania and Ohio" at medium and low confidence. Only the first two of these groups still appear at high confidence.

My mother was from Biloxi, Mississippi, and all of the "common surnames" for the "Mississippi and Louisiana" group appear in her family tree, although only "Ladner" appears as ancestral -- the others are all collateral. Likewise, "Sizemore", "Bowling", and "Asher" from the "Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee" group are also ancestral surnames. (In some cases, multiple times.)

I actually don't have any of the "common surnames" from the "Creoles of Color in Louisiana" group except for "Hebert". It isn't an ancestral surname, but my maternal grandmother's brother was married to an Hebert. She always insisted she was French and not Cajun, though I wonder if she would have accepted Creole?

The "Pennsylvania and Ohio" group is from my father's side. His family has all been in Pennsylvania since at least the mid-1700s.

oz
12-24-2020, 08:50 AM
The maps from Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia genetic group
(Screenshots from the phone)

oz
12-24-2020, 08:52 AM
Romania

oz
12-24-2020, 08:56 AM
Estonia

starshiny
12-24-2020, 09:06 AM
deleted

Ibericus
12-24-2020, 09:10 AM
This is quite mysterious: according to my mother I am 6.25% Moroccan but I got Algeria, and at high confidence nonetheless. The Spanish groups are very accurate because my family comes from the southeast.

https://i.ibb.co/7NWzVrD/20201224-091217.jpg

Finn
12-24-2020, 09:17 AM
Spot on! Until now the best result I have seen.....

General
https://www.mupload.nl/img/mf724wkzs.13.00.png

Specific
https://www.mupload.nl/img/4mbemsq.05.55.png

Bull's eye!

Nqp15hhu
12-24-2020, 09:32 AM
I wonder why some people get more regionality?

Mariusz95
12-24-2020, 10:51 AM
What are your expectations of the new ethnicities in the future? I 'm only 13,8% East European and the rest is Baltic, Scandinavian and Balkan, but my genetic groups are from East European, Germany and Ashkenazi Jew from England, Netherlands and Germany. It could mean, that I will get only East European and Ashkenazi Jew ethnicities in the future? :P

Nqp15hhu
12-24-2020, 10:56 AM
I would like to see individual British isles countries. Or even regions

Pylsteen
12-24-2020, 11:10 AM
I get seven Dutch regions, quite good I have to say, also a Dutch/German/English Jewish one and a Carribean (?). Some seem more local than others, if you click on them you see specific place names especially going further back.

FionnSneachta
12-24-2020, 11:18 AM
My family's genetic groups:
Me
Ireland (Mayo, Galway, Roscommon and Sligo) - High
Ireland - High
UK and Ireland #9 - Medium
UK and Ireland #8 - Medium
Midwestern USA - Low
Ireland and Northern Ireland - Low
USA (New York City, Philadelphia, Boston and Chicago) and Australia - Low

Dad
Ireland (Cork, Kerry and Limerick) and England - Medium
Ireland - Medium

Mum
Ireland - High

Paternal Great Aunt
UK and Ireland #9 - High
Ireland (Cork, Kerry and Limerick) and England - High
Ireland - High
Northwestern England - Medium
England - Medium
Northeastern USA - Medium
UK and Ireland #12 - Medium
Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Romania (Ashkenazi Jewish) - Medium

My known ancestry is just from Roscommon, Galway and Mayo. The genetic group for my great aunt in Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Romania was unexpected but it is with medium confidence rather than high. When I got my paternal great aunt's results originally back in May 2018, she actually got <1% European Jewish with Ancestry but disappeared with later updates.

Jessie
12-24-2020, 12:31 PM
My family's genetic groups:
Me
Ireland - High
UK and Ireland #9 - Medium
UK and Ireland #8 - Medium
Midwestern USA - Low

Dad
Ireland (Cork, Kerry and Limerick) and England - Medium
Ireland - Medium

Mum
Ireland - High

Paternal Great Aunt
UK and Ireland #9 - High
Ireland (Cork, Kerry and Limerick) and England - High
Ireland - High
Northwestern England - Medium
England - Medium
Northeastern USA - Medium
UK and Ireland #12 - Medium
Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Romania (Ashkenazi Jewish) - Medium

My known ancestry is just from Roscommon, Galway and Mayo. The genetic group for my great aunt in Poland, Ukraine, Russia and Romania was unexpected but it is with medium confidence rather than high. When I got my paternal great aunt's results originally back in May 2018, she actually got <1% European Jewish with Ancestry but disappeared with later updates.

I've got 2.8% Ashkenazi Jewish on MyHeritage but no GCs which I wasn't expecting at any rate.

FionnSneachta
12-24-2020, 12:34 PM
I've got 2.8% Ashkenazi Jewish on MyHeritage but no GCs which I wasn't expecting at any rate.

She just gets 100% Irish, Scottish and Welsh with MyHeritage so it's unusual that they'd give her that community even at medium confidence.

Nqp15hhu
12-24-2020, 12:46 PM
Might be matched with ne Americans. Is ni and Ireland a border community?

indorabian
12-24-2020, 01:00 PM
braaah...

I've got nothing but colourized ethinicity estimates
even the genetic groups :D

(uploaded raw file from ftdna)

The Ethnicity Estimate update will roll out in 2021, so hopefully we will get better report with accurate regions. I just taught MyHeritage about the Arabs that were migrated to South Asia and Southeast Asia. It seems that they are not aware of this migration.

vettor
12-24-2020, 01:22 PM
I was told the etnnicity estimate will update in jan 2021

so you should still show your old estimates on a new face

Bul
12-24-2020, 01:30 PM
If the event for the new ethnicity estimate is at the end of january 2021 could it be possible they'd release the ethnicity update in a month? Or am I too optimistic this time.. but honestly just want to know what to expect...

Mariusz95
12-24-2020, 01:34 PM
In my opinion the next update will base on data, which they prepared to make new genetic groups.
I assume also, that this webinar is only an introdution and presentation how they will estimate our ethnicities in the future.

emc
12-24-2020, 01:37 PM
I don’t think the Genetic Groups are bad, but it doesn’t make any sense to release them without updating the main results.
My grandma for example is 100% North Italian and she has 3 groups in this region, yet according to the old Ethnicity Estimate she is 41% “Iberian” and only 15.2% Italian.

starshiny
12-24-2020, 01:38 PM
I was told the etnnicity estimate will update in jan 2021

so you should still show your old estimates on a new face

So will it be at the end of January? because there is a webinar scheduled for the 26th.

jadegreg
12-24-2020, 01:41 PM
In my opinion the next update will base on data, which they prepared to make new genetic groups.
I assume also, that this webinar is only an introdution and presentation how they will estimate our ethnicities in the future.

Agreed. I suspect that this is just an introduction to their new technology on Jan 26th. With their careful wording, of 'planned' rollout in 2021, they free themselves from being too committed on a precise date, should the new technology take longer to implement than originally envisioned....

Bleuteufel
12-24-2020, 01:55 PM
My genetic groups:

from 23andme transfer:
Latvia (High)
Germany (Nonspecific) (Medium)
5x USA African American groups (High to Medium)

additional group from Ancestry transfer:
Poland, Czechia, Eastern Germany, Hungary (Medium)

Pretty much matches my known major ancestries.

Riverman
12-24-2020, 01:57 PM
Agreed. I suspect that this is just an introduction to their new technology on Jan 26th. With their careful wording, of 'planned' rollout in 2021, they free themselves from being too committed on a precise date, should the new technology take longer to implement than originally envisioned....

The problem is, that what they have now is basically about "clusters" of sampled individuals from respective groups, under an ID. How those clusters will be related to the future ancestry estimates as a whole is a separate question. Because by ancestry esimates, these clusters of genetic relatives don't necessarily correspond to one "pure" ancestral component at all.

jadegreg
12-24-2020, 02:12 PM
The problem is, that what they have now is basically about "clusters" of sampled individuals from respective groups, under an ID. How those clusters will be related to the future ancestry estimates as a whole is a separate question. Because by ancestry esimates, these clusters of genetic relatives don't necessarily correspond to one "pure" ancestral component at all.

Of course not, as the methods used for each (Genetic Groups vs. Ethnicity Estimate) will be quite different (IBD v. SegmentPCA/Markov, one presumes as I haven't seen any White Paper)). But one can hope, as intonated in their blurb, that there'll be a marrying of the two methods that will make more co-ordinated sense for those individuals, like myself, whose estimates and genetic groups don't match currently. I can only hope we have a huge increase in the reference populations, and more sensible separations of ethnicity groups when the update rolls around, so we can have a little more confidence....

Tolan
12-24-2020, 02:16 PM

This update with genetic clusters looks like "recent regions" of 23andMe.
Genetic groups are not calculated as ethnic proportions.

The genetic groups for me and my father are very relevant.
As they are for 23andMe.

But ethnic estimates are not!
I don't think they will be able to make ethnic estimates as good as genetic clusters because our DNA is not 100% typical of one region. Only a few segments can be easily reattached to a region of origin, but most of our segments are too common in different regions, or not yet referenced.

Me

Dad:

starshiny
12-24-2020, 02:21 PM

In theory they have been working on the general ethnicity estimate for 2-3 years because they said they also worked on this together with the genetic groups, do they still need more? It will be 2030 and they will still be with the same version ... Although it is a mystery how they put the genetic groups and the ethnic estimation together to make sense, maybe they will recalculate the genetic groups again I do not know ...

Riverman
12-24-2020, 02:23 PM
Of course not, as the methods used for each (Genetic Groups vs. Ethnicity Estimate) will be quite different (IBD v. SegmentPCA/Markov, one presumes as I haven't seen any White Paper)). But one can hope, as intonated in their blurb, that there'll be a marrying of the two methods that will make more co-ordinated sense for those individuals, like myself, whose estimates and genetic groups don't match currently. I can only hope we have a huge increase in the reference populations, and more sensible separations of ethnicity groups when the update rolls around, so we can have a little more confidence....

I came to the conclusion that MH has a problem with its algorithm, but also with the reference samples, just like 23andme, just worse. They obviously have people in their references for the Balkan which are too high Slavic, too high German and in West Asia some which must be high Balkan/Balkan-Slavic shifted. That explains a lot of their "South Eastward" shift. Now they got some of these groups under regional ID's, so by just looking at these clusters they themselves created, they should realise that these individuals are regional outliers which shouldn't be used as a reference. Add to that their more oracle like algorithm, and you can explain a lot of the results much better. They have to work on both and should use the regional clusters to clean up their references as a first and fairly easy to do step.

23abc
12-24-2020, 02:41 PM
This update with genetic clusters looks like "recent regions" of 23andMe.

As they are for 23andMe.

But ethnic estimates are not!
I don't think they will be able to make ethnic estimates as good as genetic clusters because our DNA is not 100% typical of one region. Only a few segments can be easily reattached to a region of origin, but most of our segments are too common in different regions, or not yet referenced.

Except this update clearly doesn't work the same way as 23andMe. Read their blog (https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/12/myheritage-launches-genetic-groups/), they claim it's based off analysis of microsegments which are found to belong to certain populations. Note that 'microsegments' imply much smaller segments then is commonly used in relative matching. Their older video also claimed the same, saying the segments which are found by analysis of machine learning on family trees. My mother has zero Romani matches and has a 'medium strength' Romani genetic group - that would be impossible if it was similar to how 23andme/AncestryDNA did their genetic groups (relative IBD matching).

The major issue with this new update is that it's inconsistent between different raw data files. My MyHeritage kit has ZERO genetic groups, 23andme v5 ONE genetic group (low chance of being from Kalymnos) and AncestryDNA SEVEN genetic groups, giving me highly likely to be from Kalymnos. The fact that the different raw files produce so different results is an obvious issue, I'm guessing most of their training data is from older customers using older kits from 23andme v3 and older versions of other companies, but mainly AncestryDNA, which is why AncestryDNA uploads are working the best.

Riverman
12-24-2020, 02:54 PM
What gives hope is that some of the unrealistic ancestral components get zero regional matching, while the components which should be present get a good reliability rating for the region, even though its currently zero in the ancestry estimate. If they really worked primarily with microsegments and machine learning, this could get interesting. This could bring the ancestry estimates to a completely new level and at the same time explaining their delay, because it would be revolutionary. But sometimes such experiments just fail and might cause them to search for alternative approaches numerous times...

Tolan
12-24-2020, 03:00 PM
Except this update clearly doesn't work the same way as 23andMe. Read their blog (https://blog.myheritage.com/2020/12/myheritage-launches-genetic-groups/), they claim it's based off analysis of microsegments which are found to belong to certain populations. Note that 'microsegments' imply much smaller segments then is commonly used in relative matching. Their older video also claimed the same, saying the segments which are found by analysis of machine learning on family trees. My mother has zero Romani matches and has a 'medium strength' Romani genetic group - that would be impossible if it was similar to how 23andme/AncestryDNA did their genetic groups (relative IBD matching).

The major issue with this new update is that it's inconsistent between different raw data files. My MyHeritage kit has ZERO genetic groups, 23andme v5 ONE genetic group (low chance of being from Kalymnos) and AncestryDNA SEVEN genetic groups, giving me highly likely to be from Kalymnos. The fact that the different raw files produce so different results is an obvious issue, I'm guessing most of their training data is from older customers using older kits from 23andme v3 and older versions of other companies, but mainly AncestryDNA, which is why AncestryDNA uploads are working the best.

But 23andMe also uses micro-segments and compares them to 23andMe customers, based on where their grandparents came from.
https://you.23andme.com/reports/ancestry_composition_hd/details/

Myheritage has the advantage of being a genealogical site and of having much more than the grandparents ...

23abc
12-24-2020, 03:01 PM
What gives hope is that some of the unrealistic ancestral components get zero regional matching, while the components which should be present get a good reliability rating for the region, even though its currently zero in the ancestry estimate. If they really worked primarily with microsegments and machine learning, this could get interesting. This could bring the ancestry estimates to a completely new level and at the same time explaining their delay, because it would be revolutionary. But sometimes such experiments just fail and might cause them to search for alternative approaches numerous times...

I have a feeling this approach is going to work well for them. I doubt it can get much worse than their current estimates, anyways.

linthos
12-24-2020, 03:05 PM
The groups I get from MH actually seem to be better, for me, than the Ancestry GCs I get. Not that Ancestry is wrong in any of them, it's just that it only gives me Acadian GCs. The MH groups include GCs that are fairly equal to what my parents get on Ancestry, but are not in my GCs on Ancestry. I have two uploaded kits on MH, one from Ancestry and one that's 23andme v5. I get similar results from both for my more French based groups, but the 23andme upload seems to miss some of the UK based groups picked up on in Ancestry data. The 23andme upload does include a Scotland group if I switch to low confidence, that's seen in the Ancestry kit at medium confidence. Both kits only give me two groups at high confidence, and they are the same two: Canada (Nova Scotia) and USA (Massachusetts), French settlers in Canada (Quebec) and in USA (New England).

Medium confidence MH results from Ancestry upload:

Medium confidence MH results from 23andme v5 upload:

23abc
12-24-2020, 03:11 PM
But 23andMe also uses micro-segments and compares them to 23andMe customers, based on where their grandparents came from.
https://you.23andme.com/reports/ancestry_composition_hd/details/

Myheritage has the advantage of being a genealogical site and of having much more than the grandparents ...

Could be the case. From the wording it sounds different. AncestryDNA even has a whitepaper on their groups and it's also based off family tree information + long IBD segments. 23andMe does the same thing as AncestryDNA. The segments they use are often above 8cM, within the relative matching range. MyHeritage's descrption makes it seem they are using much smaller segments than that. It's possible it's just the way it's worded, but it sounds like MyHeritage is doing something different to me. And it's something that can be directly applied to admixture estimates. Not only more accurate admixture estimates, but chromosome painting like 23andMe and FTDNA promised (but failed to deliver?)

jadegreg
12-24-2020, 03:12 PM

That makes an awful lot of sense. But given that the different kits have varying overlaps of SNPs, and therefore differing segments/microsegments, it's hardly surprising we're seeing differing genetic groups for the different kits.

starshiny
12-24-2020, 03:23 PM
Could be the case. From the wording it sounds different. AncestryDNA even has a whitepaper on their groups and it's also based off family tree information + long IBD segments. 23andMe does the same thing as AncestryDNA. The segments they use are often above 8cM, within the relative matching range. MyHeritage's descrption makes it seem they are using much smaller segments than that. It's possible it's just the way it's worded, but it sounds like MyHeritage is doing something different to me. And it's something that can be directly applied to admixture estimates. Not only more accurate admixture estimates, but chromosome painting like 23andMe and FTDNA promised (but failed to deliver?)

So what they are doing will be better than AncestryDNA and 23andme or much worse than these two? In my opinion that the loads of other companies work better than their own test is a disaster, I hope they fix this and assign well the groups to which we have nothing coherent.

Sean Deven Vincent
12-24-2020, 03:23 PM

Still a Northerly DF27.
In the United States the matches merge in Kentucky, which appears accurate pre-civil war.

Have a Happy Holiday everyone :)

Trelvern
12-24-2020, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=Tolan;731168]This update with genetic clusters looks like "recent regions" of 23andMe.

As they are for 23andMe.

Relevant?

I got Brittany and that's relevant but also Dominican Republic (high confidence) and Colombia (medium) !

EUROPE

Scandinave
29,9%
Breton, irlandais, écossais et gallois
29,4%
Ibère
26,7%
Italien
7,1%
Baltes
4,0%
ASIE
Peuples d'Asie centrale
2,9%

GROUPES GÉNÉTIQUES

République Dominicaine
Bretons en France (Bretagne)
Colombie (Antioquia, Caldas et Valle del Cauca)
Nord-ouest de la France (Bretagne et Pays de la Loire)
Bretons en France (Finistère)

So Scandinavians plus Latin America (Medellin, Cali!)
No more ! the courtyard is full!

23abc
12-24-2020, 03:32 PM
So what they are doing will be better than AncestryDNA and 23andme or much worse than these two? In my opinion that the loads of other companies work better than their own test is a disaster, I hope they fix this and assign well the groups to which we have nothing coherent.

Well AncestryDNA groups are pretty much useless for me and many others. I'd much rather to prefer to score Greece - Kalymnos (MyHeritage) than Greece, Albania & Turkey (AncestryDNA). Obviously it's not perfect (I score Mennonite and American regions, which obviously I have no genetic connection to either) but I'd rather more information than none. The way 23andMe groups its regions based on only geography is also a huge flaw. I bet they're kicking themselves they didn't have family tree features in place to learn from rather than geographical locations of 4 grandparents. Or maybe not, since it seems they're becoming a Health genetics company.

Ibericus
12-24-2020, 03:37 PM
I have read the whole thread and I only found a couple of people complaining of mistakes in HIGH confidence groups (and maybe they do have ancestry from that region but they weren't aware of it). The impression that I get is that the high confidence groups are more reliable than those of Ancestry.com but the medium and low confidence are highly speculative, or perhaps very old.

passenger
12-24-2020, 03:44 PM
I got four genetic groups
Tunisia in low confidence
Turkey and the rest in medium
And the other two in high confidence

Pretty interesting results. They do make sense when I compare it to my G25 results.

The fact that two of these groups are not under any ethnicity probably means these are sephardic jews but not from north africa. I'm still waiting for a better ethnicity estimate to make the picture clearer.

"Turkey, Greece, etc." appears to be mostly based on Eastern Sephardim from the description, though it's placed under "Sephardic Jewish - North African" in the general list of Genetic Groups. They probably just didn't list it under "Sephardic" in your case because it correlates with more than one potential ethnicity region and they couldn't pinpoint which. I'd have thought my mother would have gotten that one, but it seems not.

It's interesting that you got Tunisian Sephardic Jews. Could imply a Grana/Franco (Livornese Jewish) connection. Netherlands/Germany and England seems very unexpected, especially under high confidence.

MitchellSince1893
12-24-2020, 03:44 PM
When you sellect all genetic groups then it is possible to see geographical distribution:

My groups:

https://i.imgur.com/Rv4G42w.png

https://i.imgur.com/c1h1Azo.png

https://i.imgur.com/73DwsHP.png

My father's group:

https://i.imgur.com/NQwRknl.png

https://i.imgur.com/XhtqSOY.png
This feature is useful as you can zoom in all the way, to see larger towns and cities.

On ancestry.com you can search by an exact location, but not so on myheritage.

At least now I can see an area with a lot of matches on ancestry has a corresponding hotspot on myheritage.

For example, on ancestry I have quite a few unknown paternal line matches with ancestors born in Chew Magna, Somerset England; a village with ~1100 people.
On myheritage, my father and paternal aunt both have a bright hot spot in this same area.

jadegreg
12-24-2020, 03:47 PM
I have read the whole thread and I only found a couple of people complaining of mistakes in HIGH confidence groups (and maybe they do have ancestry from that region but they weren't aware of it). The impression that I get is that the high confidence groups are more reliable than those of Ancestry.com but the medium and low confidence are highly speculative, or perhaps very old.

I guess we'll just have to wait for a White Paper, as to how they assign confidence. It could be on total number of microsegments, clusters of microsegments or number of aligned microsegments etc. All I know is for myself, that the lower confidence groups are related to further back in my ancestry (West England) or smaller components of my Ancestry (Camarthenshire).....

boilermeschew827
12-24-2020, 03:59 PM
So, curiosity got the best of me and I paid to upgrade my maternal grandma's kit. Compared to 23andMe it is a huge step forward. 23andMe fluctuates between no country and region assignments or one. Currently 23andMe assigns her no regions or countries.

Her high confidence groups are France (no kidding!) and Denmark/England/France/Scotland. The others are all low confidence. The two that don't make sense are Algeria and Morocco and Germany - we have no paper trail to either within the last 250-300 years.

For my grandma, this is better than 23andMe.

Tolan
12-24-2020, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=Tolan;731168]This update with genetic clusters looks like "recent regions" of 23andMe.

As they are for 23andMe.

Relevant?

I got Brittany and that's relevant but also Dominican Republic (high confidence) and Colombia (medium) !

EUROPE

Scandinave
29,9%
Breton, irlandais, écossais et gallois
29,4%
Ibère
26,7%
Italien
7,1%
Baltes
4,0%
ASIE
Peuples d'Asie centrale
2,9%

GROUPES GÉNÉTIQUES

République Dominicaine
Bretons en France (Bretagne)
Colombie (Antioquia, Caldas et Valle del Cauca)
Nord-ouest de la France (Bretagne et Pays de la Loire)
Bretons en France (Finistère)

So Scandinavians plus Latin America (Medellin, Cali!)
No more ! the courtyard is full!

Myheritage integrates the colonial countries.
Bretons in the Dominican Republic is not impossible

lifeisdandy
12-24-2020, 04:19 PM
I don't understand how I got French quebec as a genetic group

Bul
12-24-2020, 04:35 PM
41997 My low confidence regions seem legit unlike the high and medium ones . So I guess it’s not always the same .

JFWinstone
12-24-2020, 05:02 PM
I'm not entirely sure how my mum got NW Germany as one :confused: I understand why we got the French Settlers in Reunion though as we have a lot more matches that are Franco-Reunionnaise/Mauritian on MH compared to Creoles. I'm surprised my mum didn't get any for her Chinese though, she got GC's on Ancestry and 23andme for China but not on MH, maybe not enough Chinese matches on MH?

Sam1989
12-24-2020, 05:05 PM
"Turkey, Greece, etc." appears to be mostly based on Eastern Sephardim from the description, though it's placed under "Sephardic Jewish - North African" in the general list of Genetic Groups. They probably just didn't list it under "Sephardic" in your case because it correlates with more than one potential ethnicity region and they couldn't pinpoint which. I'd have thought my mother would have gotten that one, but it seems not.

It's interesting that you got Tunisian Sephardic Jews. Could imply a Grana/Franco (Livornese Jewish) connection. Netherlands/Germany and England seems very unexpected, especially under high confidence.

sorry, my bad. all groups are medium confidence except for Tunisia. as for the Netherlands, German and England, now looking deeper its also Ashkenazi and not Sephardic. interesting its not under the Ashkenazi ethnicity.

here are screen shots of them all

Trelvern
12-24-2020, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=Trelvern;731192]

Myheritage integrates the colonial countries.
Bretons in the Dominican Republic is not impossible

Of course but they were few.

http://lesperseides.fr/les-bretons-de-saint-domingue/

Riverman
12-24-2020, 06:32 PM

I'm happy with all regions for all kits and matches I saw, everything at medium level makes sense and low level is explainable. Like usually, but that's not really MH fault, they can't properly distinguish between source and target. Like I have concrete data for two regions which had migration and gene flow both pre- and post-1945. People can have 4 grandparents from either place by now, but still having ancestry from the other region and at the same time they are not that different genetically by default. So how can they differentiate who's relatives just moved there or who has real ancestry from region A or B? Its impossible. They can just assign people with this ancestry, belonging to this cluster, to both regions. Then some who definitely know their tree can complain that they have just ancestry from one of the two regions which had a large scale exchange, but there is no way to make it any better, because it goes down to every single family.

indorabian
12-24-2020, 06:43 PM
A redditor just posted this: https://www.reddit.com/r/MyHeritage/comments/kjk0a5/old_estimate_vs_update_percentages_also_changed/

Molfish
12-24-2020, 07:19 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/YS24WHbs/Capturemh.jpg

My recorded ancestry is nearly entirely from the red counties
https://i.postimg.cc/13rnXtcF/160320273269749743.png

timberwolf
12-24-2020, 07:30 PM
Roberta Estes blog on the update for those who have not seen it.

https://dna-explained.com/2020/12/24/introducing-genetic-groups-at-myheritage/

Riverman
12-24-2020, 07:31 PM
My recorded ancestry is nearly entirely from the red counties

I guess you have no region for Scandinavia? Scandinavian regions being now more clearly defined by the way, with some encompassing North Western Germany, like:

Deutschland (Niedersachsen), Schweden, Dänemark und Niederlande
Gruppen ID: 6073

One kit I manage which is essentially Bavarian has about 70 percent of the ancestry not assigned correctly. The regions are correct now, and not one of the wrong components which make up 70 percent being now in the regions update. This is quite telling. On 23andme this is individual is more than 96 percent F & G with essentially the same core ancestral locations.
The ancestries which are real are now much more likely to get regions assigned on MH than those which are just false positives because of a bad algorithm or reference sample.

digital_noise
12-24-2020, 07:34 PM

Meh, she hyped the FTDNA update that turned out to be a flop, and now she “cant wait to tell us” about how MH was so accurate. What she says and writes makes sense on paper but when executed, they cannot pull it off imho, especially after seeing all my kits that I manage. She Sounds like a shill. Harsh, but that’s how I see it.

vettor
12-24-2020, 08:29 PM
checking the accuracy of placements, I found they are accurate for myself

https://i.postimg.cc/L8DMccjW/seren.png (https://postimg.cc/jDD9Nkg6)

Seren del Grappa is in the Belluno province of Veneto ( they have 7 provinces ) ...........belluno borders austria , main road to Innsbruck

the area they circled in germany seems like Saarland or is it northern Hesse .........not sure......but my great great grandmother , mother was a german from these parts ......my great great grandmother Eva Beatrice Amadio mother was a blonde , green eyed german related to these german surnames from Saarland and hesse .........Solle, Steiner and Gei

to conclude .......info seems very accurate ........I will visit these Veneto places listed in BDM records and see

As for Brazil , nearly every Veneto person should have some brazilian.......well history states that 1 million Veneti and friuli people went there , either forced or not from 1870
Italy could not handle the 6 million plus people they "inherited" from Austria in 1870 against the Italian population of 23 million at the time ..............it became off kilter for them, a bit of panic

Nqp15hhu
12-24-2020, 08:29 PM
I would be interested to see everyone else’s maps too.

qallezan65
12-24-2020, 08:38 PM
Most of the regions my relatives got were somewhat accurate, but my uncle's were spot on. It accurately predicted that we have ancestors from A Coruña, which I found surprising since it doesn't show up for my father and I.

vettor
12-24-2020, 08:42 PM
interesting for my father dna places

Top places 1600 - 1650

Fontane, Veneto, Italy ................under Villorba, still relatives there today
Zernez, Grisons, Switzerland
Babenhausen, Hesse, Germany
Canizzano, Veneto, Italy

more places to check or is the Hesse place what I was looking for

Nqp15hhu
12-24-2020, 08:53 PM
Where did you get the places?

Marmaduke
12-24-2020, 08:54 PM
I have my doubts about MyHeritage. I've taken scores of these tests, including several WGS tests, as well as the usual 23andme, ancestry.com, livingdna, etc.
MyHeritage gives me 38.6 Scandinavian, and yet I have only one ancestor who came from Scandinavia (Norway). All the rest of my ancestry is overwhelmingly English with a bit of Scottish and maybe a tiny touch of Welsh. And at least one German and a little Dutch. So I can't account for the massive amount of Scandinavian, except perhaps through Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Vikings and Normans, I suppose.
Anyone else run into this on MyHeritage?

Mstock
12-24-2020, 09:00 PM
Does anyone get a genetic community that doesn’t seem possible. I have no known Italian ancestors that I have found in my family tree. On one of my kits I got a termini imerese group from Sicily. Have I screwed one of my family trees up? It comes up at medium confidence. Actually on my discover23 account before this last update I had Sicily show up as my #1 for the country. But the last update completely cleared Italy as a whole off my composition. I would appreciate any two cents from anyone.

passenger
12-24-2020, 09:07 PM

I would be happy, like her, if they'd given my dad genetic groups in the Netherlands (or Denmark). I wasn't really expecting any in Europe coming from his colonial ancestry (though it would be nice), but like Roberta, he has 19th century Dutch immigrants in his tree (a great-grandfather in his case). Most of his top matches on MyHeritage are from his Dutch and Danish immigrant lines, so they're real and in their database, but apparently not part of their groups yet. I guess it's a bit hit or miss with them. Still, I don't think it's a bad start, I just hope they follow through with their plans for improvement.

emc
12-24-2020, 09:18 PM
Does anyone get a genetic community that doesn’t seem possible. I have no known Italian ancestors that I have found in my family tree. On one of my kits I got a termini imerese group from Sicily. Have I screwed one of my family trees up? It comes up at medium confidence. Actually on my discover23 account before this last update I had Sicily show up as my #1 for the country. But the last update completely cleared Italy as a whole off my composition. I would appreciate any two cents from anyone.
I get Finland and Sweden, which is weird because I only have Italian and Portuguese ancestry. But it’s a low-confidence region, so it’s ok I guess.

Riverman
12-24-2020, 09:34 PM
I have my doubts about MyHeritage. I've taken scores of these tests, including several WGS tests, as well as the usual 23andme, ancestry.com, livingdna, etc.
MyHeritage gives me 38.6 Scandinavian, and yet I have only one ancestor who came from Scandinavia (Norway). All the rest of my ancestry is overwhelmingly English with a bit of Scottish and maybe a tiny touch of Welsh. And at least one German. So I can't account for the massive amount of Scandinavian, except perhaps through Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Vikings and Normans, I suppose.
Anyone else run into this on MyHeritage?

MH gives more often Oracle-like extremes, like Scandinavia : Balkan : West Asia instead of a higher proportion of let's say general North Western.
It happens on a regular basis in Germans which have zero recent Scandinavian. Sometimes siblings can get vastly different results from each other because of this. You are lucky, you have at least one recent Scandinavian ancestor.

digital_noise
12-24-2020, 09:35 PM
I think the genetic community assignments are designed with the upcoming ethnicity estimate in order to make much sense for a lot of us. At least that’s my hopes.

Molfish
12-24-2020, 09:42 PM
I guess you have no region for Scandinavia? Scandinavian regions being now more clearly defined by the way, with some encompassing North Western Germany, like:

No, I think expecting Scandinavian regions after 1000+ years of separation is asking too much.

Riverman
12-24-2020, 09:57 PM
I think the genetic community assignments are designed with the upcoming ethnicity estimate in order to make much sense for a lot of us. At least that’s my hopes.

It would make even less sense if they give someone medium-high regions for a group, but exactly zero percent of the associated ancestral component, because its being split or added to something else. If someone who should get 90 percent plus German, gets just one quarter German, one quarter Scandinavian, one quarter British and one quarter Balkan, plus some percentage of even more exotic ancestry, neither AncestryDNA nor 23andme did pick up, or any calculator, something is going fundamentally wrong. And its not about "real ancestral components", but bad algorithm plus bad references, since they claim recent ancestry.
There is not one single region outside of where it should be yet, this too tells a lot. I'm not talking about me, but a kit a manage which ancestry is absolutely straightforward and clearly defined and its no single experience but the experience of the majority of MH users so far, from various ethnic groups, in case they already have an idea about their real ancestry.

Trelvern
12-24-2020, 10:15 PM

click on a group and then scroll down

timberwolf
12-24-2020, 10:33 PM
click on a group and then scroll down

Very good. I changed the dates on a couple of my groups and found my Cornish.

digital_noise
12-24-2020, 10:36 PM
It would make even less sense if they give someone medium-high regions for a group, but exactly zero percent of the associated ancestral component, because its being split or added to something else. If someone who should get 90 percent plus German, gets just one quarter German, one quarter Scandinavian, one quarter British and one quarter Balkan, plus some percentage of even more exotic ancestry, neither AncestryDNA nor 23andme did pick up, or any calculator, something is going fundamentally wrong. And its not about "real ancestral components", but bad algorithm plus bad references, since they claim recent ancestry.
There is not one single region outside of where it should be yet, this too tells a lot. I'm not talking about me, but a kit a manage which ancestry is absolutely straightforward and clearly defined and its no single experience but the experience of the majority of MH users so far, from various ethnic groups, in case they already have an idea about their real ancestry.

Look at this nonsense. At least for me, giving me Sweden would hopefully mean that in teh upcoming estimate update they would finally figure out that I have Swedish, but this here is straight trash (my wife, her mom and dad also get some sort of this, her dad getting Scotland as well)

vettor
12-24-2020, 10:45 PM

click on the map and then change the time period

Finn
12-24-2020, 10:50 PM
Deutschland (Niedersachsen), Schweden, Dänemark und Niederlande
Gruppen ID: 6073

Hey that's my cluster too! Were did you find those clustering?

JFWinstone
12-24-2020, 11:13 PM
I would be happy, like her, if they'd given my dad genetic groups in the Netherlands (or Denmark). I wasn't really expecting any in Europe coming from his colonial ancestry (though it would be nice), but like Roberta, he has 19th century Dutch immigrants in his tree (a great-grandfather in his case). Most of his top matches on MyHeritage are from his Dutch and Danish immigrant lines, so they're real and in their database, but apparently not part of their groups yet. I guess it's a bit hit or miss with them. Still, I don't think it's a bad start, I just hope they follow through with their plans for improvement.

My dad and I get Netherlands at low confidence and our Dutch immigrant was during WW1 to the UK so not awfully far back. That said at least they found it, 23and me doesn't even give me Netherlands and for Dad it comes and goes between updates.