PDA

View Full Version : Recent Ancestry Results: Europe 100%

Donwulff
01-03-2021, 08:08 AM
That's both a safe bet and incorrect, as well as completely useless. When did this change occur? Any change they'll reverse their decision like MyHeritage did, or is it time to delete profile?
I hate it when companies do the bait-and-switch, in case of DNA offering something for free to get access to your DNA data and then charging for it. This seems to be more a rule than exception for these new DNA analysis companies.
While I recognize there's no such thing as free lunch, this seems bordering on unethical. How hard would it be to let existing people keep the services they had when they agreed to the deal?

But yeah, "100% Europe" is the worst, 29EUR for breakdown that seems inaccurate at the outset, and the closest relatives I didn't bring myself are 7th degree... It's worse than useless this way.

jadegreg
01-04-2021, 11:04 AM
Hi Doonwulff, it's unclear what your exact complaint is here. Are you refering to upload that didn't receive a breakdown? I understand the annoyance of having to pay for the breakdown now, but this seems to be the standard business model in use today; initially low price (free) to pull in customers, and then hike the price when a critical level is reached. If one thinks about it said companies are making a loss in this initial phase, so of course they are going to want to make up those costs at some point. Curse our ancestry breakdown addiction as much as business practises.....

Donwulff
01-08-2021, 09:15 PM
The "complaints" are laid out in my original post, but more importantly I'm wondering if there's a chance they'll revert their change. Which depends on how recent it is, and how upset people are at them for it.

That said, bait & switch is NOT a valid business model. You make money by developing new services that people are willing to pay for, not by charging for services that you contractually agreed to provide for free. This is, unfortunately, something that DNA testing companies keep trying to break, making them look pretty amateurish wild west.

Aiden
07-07-2021, 06:47 PM
There are many people on their facebook page complaining about this lol, I love reading the angry comments