PDA

View Full Version : R-Z18 in ancient DNA

Bygdedweller
01-13-2021, 09:42 PM
Margaryan et. al from 2019 contained a great deal of new samples that are Z18 which I haven't seen discussed here:
https://dna-explained.com/2020/09/18/442-ancient-viking-skeletons-hold-dna-surprises-does-your-y-or-mitochondrial-dna-match-daily-updates-here/

Interesting to see it popping up everywhere from the Isle of Man, Dorset, Oxford, Orkney, Western Sweden to Northern Norway.
From prior I know of SZ4 from the Lombard-burials at Szólád, which was also derived for Z18. Interestingly the sample seems to have distinctly North European ancestry, probably in the extreme range of what was present in the Lombards. It was also deemed an outlier in the isotopic analysis. This does jive well with Z18 being somewhat of a North Germanic marker (perhaps specifically Norwegian/Swedish) originally.
From the Viking-study I noticed VK418, dated to the Iron Age around the year 350 CE, is also derived for R-Z18 according to Estes, which would mean it is the earliest Z18 found so far I believe? It was present here as far North as Engelřya in Northern Norway.

Bollox79
01-14-2021, 04:33 PM
Margaryan et. al from 2019 contained a great deal of new samples that are Z18 which I haven't seen discussed here:
https://dna-explained.com/2020/09/18/442-ancient-viking-skeletons-hold-dna-surprises-does-your-y-or-mitochondrial-dna-match-daily-updates-here/

Interesting to see it popping up everywhere from the Isle of Man, Dorset, Oxford, Orkney, Western Sweden to Northern Norway.
From prior I know of SZ4 from the Lombard-burials at Szólád, which was also derived for Z18. Interestingly the sample seems to have distinctly North European ancestry, probably in the extreme range of what was present in the Lombards. It was also deemed an outlier in the isotopic analysis. This does jive well with Z18 being somewhat of a North Germanic marker (perhaps specifically Norwegian/Swedish) originally.
From the Viking-study I noticed VK418, dated to the Iron Age around the year 350 CE, is also derived for R-Z18 according to Estes, which would mean it is the earliest Z18 found so far I believe? It was present here as far North as Engelřya in Northern Norway.

Yes I need to add the Viking paper samples to my aDNA list I keep for Dr. Iain leader of my DF98 group. There was one DF98, but of a smaller subgroup than S18823/WETTIN and the brother group S1911... Those are the two main subgroups under DF98. Two DF96ers as well one in Oxford burial and one in Ribe.... I think for DF98/96 We really need late bronze into migration period burials around the Rhine and Danube.... Or areas associated with those movements...

I am tempted to associate DF98 with it's connection to House of Wettin and Bourbon as well... With Frankish tribes... But we need local samples to see if it was there before all that took place in the Roman period....

Z18 is very much a North Sea group ��