PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone having problems with latest update of Ancestry Map?

GG69
01-18-2021, 07:27 PM
Living DNA has recently updated the data on the Ancestry Map. As a result the proportions of my DNA linked to UK locations has dramatically changed and don't fit the paper records I know about. Before I was mainly of Lincolnshire & Yorkshire origin which fits very well with what I know of my family. Now the percentage Yorkshire origins have dropped dramatically (my fathers family have lived in Yorkshire for at least 10 generations!). I have done Ancestry DNA recently as well and their data fits my family information very well.
Equally my wife's DNA (she's from Northern Ireland) results have changed and don't fit the family details. Finally a cousin who has had her DNA done by Living DNA has also seen her results substantially change and again they don't make sense.
Looks like a foul up by Living DNA to me. Has anyone seen the same thing with their recent update?

Bog Body
02-27-2021, 09:27 PM
I did a Living DNA test back in September 2020 (and my highest percentage allocation was for Lincolnshire). I just logged in today (Feb. 27) and haven't seen any changes in any of my results from September.

I have no idea when their last update was or if they ever intend to do any updates in the future. :\

jadegreg
02-28-2021, 01:18 PM
Likewise. Haven't seen any changes since update last March. GG69, would you be willing to post your before update and after results? Have you tried contacting LDNA to enquire? It could be a system glitch

Nqp15hhu
03-01-2021, 04:48 AM
I donít find living Dna to be that accurate.

jadegreg
03-02-2021, 12:05 AM
I don’t find living Dna to be that accurate.

It does seem to be all or nothing with LivingDNA. Hopefully, we'll actually see the Irish and Scottish populations from the 'One World" Project, one of these days. Maybe then you'll be happier with your results

Nqp15hhu
03-03-2021, 10:07 PM
It does seem to be all or nothing with LivingDNA. Hopefully, we'll actually see the Irish and Scottish populations from the 'One World" Project, one of these days. Maybe then you'll be happier with your results

My results are hugely variable on all four main sites, so i'm never really sure who to believe.

jadegreg
03-04-2021, 11:16 AM
My results are hugely variable on all four main sites, so i'm never really sure who to believe.

That's just it, isn't it. All of the 'Big 5' (maybe with the exception of FTDNA) currently, have something positive to offer to your genetic picture (and obviously consequent negatives). With Ancestry its their repeated runs of their algorithm with jittered and variable size cM 'windows', large reference populations and genetic communities, with 23&me it's their very small 'windows' for their algorithm and modular structure for ethnivity selection, and with LivingDNA it's their attempt to provide a detailed breakdown of the UK (although we still have no idea on their implementation).However, all of them have massive room for improvement with several aspects of their piplines.

In your case, all of your inferences are from AncestryDNA uploads to the other sites, aren't they? If that is the case, it might be worth bearing in my mind that LivingDNA have never used the Omniexpress microarray, unlike FTDNA or MH (and therefore may have better procedures for dealing with it for ethnicity estimation). Indeed, the current AncestryDNA chip of alll providers offers the least overlap with the current LDNA chip, and therefore the filling in the gaps will be done by the most severe imputation of all platforms. It maybe possible that a more accurate picture would be produced of your genetic makeup, if you got the LDNA test........Possibly!

Nqp15hhu
03-04-2021, 03:36 PM
I have thought about buying the kit, and i'm sure it'd yield different results. Has anyone compared AncestryDNA uploads with purchased kits?

jadegreg
03-04-2021, 05:54 PM
I have thought about buying the kit, and i'm sure it'd yield different results. Has anyone compared AncestryDNA uploads with purchased kits?

Well, I weakened in a particularly slow spell last year! But it was to compare with my existing families Ancestry uploads. In my case, v. little difference, with South Yorkshire, Central England and Lincolnshire having a little bit of jiggery pokery, if I recall correctly. However, I'm awaiting my entire families LDNA kits currently. Have been in 'testing' for over a week now. Should drop in the next few days. If you want I'll post a compare and contrast. Though I get a sneaky feeling, what maybe true of my kits (i.e. Southern Nancies), might not be true for a different geographical demographic within the UK

GG69
03-04-2021, 07:29 PM
As an addendum I had the Ancestry DNA Test done as well. It agrees with the original Living DNA Ancestry Map results closely so I suspect the second set of results from Living DNA are a glitch.

Ibericus
03-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Off topic: LivingDNA has a sale for uploads, it's 19eur. Do you know if they accept Wgsextract files?

FionnSneachta
03-04-2021, 08:27 PM

I have an Ancestry upload and purchased kit. These are my results:

Purchased kit
Great Britain and Ireland 98.1%
Ireland 77.1%
South Central England 6.5%
Northwest Scotland 4.7%
Southeast England 3.4%
Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland 3.1%
East Anglia 2%
South Wales 1.2%

Europe (North and West) 1.9%
Northwest Germanic 1.9%

AncestryDNA upload
Great Britain and Ireland 100%
Ireland 87.2%
South Wales 2.4%
East Anglia 2.2%
Northumbria 2.1%
Northwest Scotland 1.8%
Southeast England 1.5%
South Central England 1.4%
Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland 1.3%

Nqp15hhu
03-04-2021, 08:30 PM
I have an Ancestry upload and purchased kit. These are my results:

Purchased kit
Great Britain and Ireland 98.1%
Ireland 77.1%
South Central England 6.5%
Northwest Scotland 4.7%
Southeast England 3.4%
Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland 3.1%
East Anglia 2%
South Wales 1.2%

Europe (North and West) 1.9%
Northwest Germanic 1.9%

AncestryDNA upload
Great Britain and Ireland 100%
Ireland 87.2%
South Wales 2.4%
East Anglia 2.2%
Northumbria 2.1%
Northwest Scotland 1.8%
Southeast England 1.5%
South Central England 1.4%
Northern Ireland and Southwest Scotland 1.3%

So which do you think is most accurate?

Saetro
03-04-2021, 09:56 PM
I find the expectations we have rather bizarre.
After all of the genome shuffling from generation to generation, we then expect our particular sampling to provide an accurate reflection of past generations on every line.
Some of my lines have matches that on paper come from a very long way back, but others don't go far.
OK, the segments we rely on for familial matching might have been whittled down to the extent that they are no longer useful.
The main reason for that is that at that level we cannot be certain that the jigsaw pieces of DNA analysed might not have been put back together properly.
But surely ethnicity predictions rely on multiple markers that can't all have disappeared in the shuffle, or mis-reassembled.

Ideally, I would like to take an aggregate of my siblings' and close cousins' DNA and work from commonalities.
But it's easier for me to triangulate segments and look at those matches on them, and their shared regionality and antecedents.
Some of my ethnicity estimates say I have Swedish or maybe Mecklenburg ancestors.
The segment approach is beginning to suggest that these two may go together, so I may have a geographical pathway by which this line moved further south.

My one tiny connection to real south Irish have been totally buried under false south Irish.
If it were not for her Nottinghamshire husband I would have missed her altogether.
In that case, ethnicity estimates have been of no help, while familial DNA and documents found her.

Meanwhile, one of my Scottish lines is also represented as Irish - from the north.
And it well may have been largely so, although the matching surname lines are Scottish - maybe way back: most of these matches have been in northern Ireland for a few hundred years at least. But as the documents fizzle out around 1780 with a change in name/spelling, I can't track the Scottish side back to meet the Irish.
Not yet, anyway.
What is keeping me moving forwards hopefully on this line is again a segment approach.
The alternative of waiting for the perfect ethnicity estimate is one that may never come.
At least, not for me.
And I am quite used to working with phenomena that when you do them one way will not happen within the total lifetime of the universe,
whereas with a few tweaks they happen in a few minutes.
So I am going with the tweaked version.

FionnSneachta
03-04-2021, 10:10 PM
So which do you think is most accurate?

Well naturally I would consider the upload more accurate since my only known ancestry is Irish. However, you would expect that the actual purchased kit should be more accurate.

FionnSneachta
03-04-2021, 10:18 PM
The ethnicity estimates are just a bit of fun for me since I already know my ancestry. There isn't any mystery origins that I'm trying to uncover. I initially did DNA tests for the matches. The ethnicity estimates were always just a novelty for me. I keep an eye an updates just for curiosity's sake and see if it's matching up with my known ancestry. I didn't have an identity crisis when Living DNA initially gave me 19% Ireland.

lana6765
03-04-2021, 11:58 PM
Off topic: LivingDNA has a sale for uploads, it's 19eur. Do you know if they accept Wgsextract files?

Kind of tempted. But I was disappointed with other estimates e.g. MyHeritage.

But Iím curious as to whether Iíll finally be part of the London community :cheer2:, or if Southern Europe will pop up again.

I can already predict that I will end up somewhat Irish again.

Nqp15hhu
03-05-2021, 12:26 AM
I donít have an identity crisis. I just donít think the LivingDNA results are accurate.

For ex, I donít believe that most of my Scottish Dna is from the Highlands.

geebee
03-05-2021, 02:16 AM
I don't have an identity crisis, either. I actually know my ancestry pretty well out to 5th great grandparents. Not perfectly, and of course there's always the possibility of an NPE here and there in any family. But when even recent portions of ancestry are completely missed (or mischaracterized), it isn't always because the customer is wrong about his or her ancestry.

Sometimes, it really is the testing company. Could be their algorithm, could be their reference populations, could be something else. But if you think companies don't get it wrong, then why do their analyses often change dramatically with new updates?

Nqp15hhu
03-05-2021, 03:03 AM
I have another account that says 5 regions missing, is it worth buying that to see what the results are? The current kit has 4 regions, or is the British Isles also accounted as one region, bringing that to four?

I don't want to waste the money if its going to be the same result.

jadegreg
03-05-2021, 12:19 PM

Sadly No. I've tried that one as well! I would give the 23&me v3 WGS Extract a whirl however, after checking the ISOGG wiki for overlap, to see if it's worth it!

jadegreg
03-05-2021, 12:31 PM
I have another account that says 5 regions missing, is it worth buying that to see what the results are? The current kit has 4 regions, or is the British Isles also accounted as one region, bringing that to four?

I don't want to waste the money if its going to be the same result.

Not wishing to sound like a broken record, but that's not what it means! Think two-way traffic between Ireland and Scotland, think reference population size and use etc. It just means you happen to match these reference samples closely. It's not concrete!

With that in mind, I'd give it a miss until we see an update to reference samples and/or algorithm, and you feel more confident about the improvement in other peoples results. At the moment you do at leat have access to the DNA test with the best reference population samples for yourself. I'd stick with that I just can't help blowing money on any of these tests......I'm practically pathological now!

Bog Body
03-12-2021, 02:02 AM

I did a 23andMe upload and then a LivingDNA kit (results below). For me, the kit was more accurate for my Irish and North Germanic/Scandinavian ancestry. As far as the accuracy of the UK regional ancestry, I am fairly clueless as most of my English ancestors came to North America in the late 17th and early 18th century.
43823 43824