PDA

View Full Version : Central Italian Results

greerpalmer
01-27-2021, 03:58 PM
Tested my 95 year old Godfather who is first generation American and his family is from a small town in Central Italy. He's often told us that when he visited his family's village, he observed that like him, most of the town and townfolk have Spanish-derived names (lots of "de" vs d' or di) and apparently the story is their people originated in Spain and had followed the coast to Italy hundreds of years ago.

I chose to test him on Living DNA to get a fairly dialed in regional autosomal estimate and a Y-haplogroup further downstream than 23andMe often offers (based on my experience).

With that said, I had a couple surprises.

Recent Ancestry:
72.8% Southern European
51% South Italian
12.7% Tuscany
9.2% North Italian
3.6% Great Britain and Ireland
3.6% Scotland and Ireland
23.5% Near East
20.9% South Caucasus
2.6% Arabia

mtHaplogroup:
U2e1a1

Y Haplogroup:
R-DF13

First surprise is the high frequency of South Italian, which I feel is supported by the Near East groups at higher frequency than would normally be observed further North.
Perhaps more surprising is the Scotland and Ireland. Knowing LivingDNA's bias toward these parts I expected some noise in the results, but the Y Haplogroup R-DF13 makes it appear that those origins may in fact be real.
From what I can tell, U2e1a1 is a bit too rare to make any conclusive deductions from.

Kathlingram
01-29-2021, 03:05 PM
Tested my 95 year old Godfather who is first generation American and his family is from a small town in Central Italy. He's often told us that when he visited his family's village, he observed that like him, most of the town and townfolk have Spanish-derived names (lots of "de" vs d' or di) and apparently the story is their people originated in Spain and had followed the coast to Italy hundreds of years ago.

I chose to test him on Living DNA to get a fairly dialed in regional autosomal estimate and a Y-haplogroup further downstream than 23andMe often offers (based on my experience).

With that said, I had a couple surprises.

Recent Ancestry:
72.8% Southern European
51% South Italian
12.7% Tuscany
9.2% North Italian
3.6% Great Britain and Ireland
3.6% Scotland and Ireland
23.5% Near East
20.9% South Caucasus
2.6% Arabia

mtHaplogroup:
U2e1a1

Y Haplogroup:
R-DF13

First surprise is the high frequency of South Italian, which I feel is supported by the Near East groups at higher frequency than would normally be observed further North.
Perhaps more surprising is the Scotland and Ireland. Knowing LivingDNA's bias toward these parts I expected some noise in the results, but the Y Haplogroup R-DF13 makes it appear that those origins may in fact be real.
From what I can tell, U2e1a1 is a bit too rare to make any conclusive deductions from.

Well I remain mystified about my Tuscany.. Weren't we told they would look at that again? My Sister ( full Sister- only sibling)'s upload from 23andme has a much more likely scenario
I went from almost 96.8% Great Britain/Ireland to 63% and my Sister has 100% GB/Ire and 25.2% Wales.. and I have 15.6% .. while my Wales is possible ( Last time 19.9%) I wonder what is over represented in those who test and those who upload??

Olymp
01-29-2021, 03:24 PM
Do you know your genealogy?

Gedmatch

Kathlingram
01-29-2021, 03:58 PM
Do you know your genealogy?

Gedmatch

Who Me? Yes..except my father's father was unknown but that is the Welsh.. and my sister has NO Tuscany NOR do we have any huge differences at all the serious places we have tested..The Welsh is there for us and many 3rd cousins IN Wales at 23andme, AncestryDNA..etc..
Many experienced testers DON'T use Gedmatch now ( I was a Beta tester there) but many many Welsh there too..No Tuscany

Kathlingram
02-03-2021, 01:53 PM
Looking at a Facebook "Memory" from one year ago I posted this:"This is what happens when you ask for updates I think.. Oh My! Where did the Tuscany come from? I know my Irish were Anglo-Normans for the most part but they were in Ireland by 1205 .
Isn't it time for an update?

Edessa
02-18-2021, 09:24 PM
Tuscany comes up for me although no relation whatsoever. is it some mistaken sample?