PDA

View Full Version : Share some weird/inexplicable events that you’ve experienced first hand

Mehrdad
03-13-2014, 03:08 PM
I was in my teens visiting family in Fiji when I witnessed something really weird that had no scientific explanation. My family was preparing a feast and part of the feast involved cooking with an earth oven or Lovo in the local Fijian dialect. I was involved in the preparation from the get go, so I got to witness the event first hand. The hole was already dug and we had to clean it out and place some wood at the bottom and we placed the stones on top, afterwards we pilled the wood on top of the stones. We lit it and after two hours the stones were really hot and so we took the remainder of the wood out and left the charcoal and hot brimming stones in and we placed coconut stalks down so that the food isn't burnt. Next we proceeded to put the food wrapped in banana leaf into the earth oven. We covered it first with more banana leaf or in some cases weaved coconut leaves after which we covered it with sacks and then once the food was totally covered we then covered it up with dirt so that there was little heat that would escape.

During the whole preparation there was a person from a neighboring island of Beqa (pronounced Benga) that was with us, his family are known as the famous firewalkers of Beqa. So my uncle was making fun of this guy and I've been told that it's taboo to make fun of someone from the island of Beqa or someone from the direct lineage of the firewalkers because it would spell disaster when cooking using an earth oven. So this guy was offended by something my uncle said to him and he said that the food would be raw and walked away. Now he was never seen again till when we took the food from the earth oven, mind you he was right, after 3 hours the food was never cooked and it was raw. I’d heard of rumors of this happening but this day I witnessed it first hand, I couldn’t explain it scientifically because I was there the whole time. The food was raw, it baffles me till today. There was still burning charcoal at the bottom of the earth oven it was really hot but the food was never cooked. These men had been cooking with earth ovens since they were children and all of them were baffled as to why it was raw. They shook their heads in disbelief. Apparently what this guy said came true, the food was still raw and this was one of the weirdest experiences I’ve ever witnessed.

Anyone else with weird first hand experiences?!

(I wasn’t sure in which forum to start this thread, I hope it’s in the right forum if not can one of the Admins please move it to the correct forum)

I've included images of a Lovo or earth oven and the Fire walkers of Beqa

1620 1621

parasar
03-13-2014, 04:09 PM
I have seen the Hawaiian luau and the NZ Maori version (forget its name), but without the magic!
Perhaps some sophisticated vent/flue control system as these Polynesian magic men were/are very advanced. Since over a couple thousand years back they could pinpoint the location of their boats and the exact time looking at the stars.

Mehrdad
03-13-2014, 04:41 PM
I have seen the Hawaiian luau and the NZ Maori version (forget its name), but without the magic!
Perhaps some sophisticated vent/flue control system as these Polynesian magic men were/are very advanced. Since over a couple thousand years back they could pinpoint the location of their boats and the exact time looking at the stars.

I lived in Hawaii for several years, that's where I went for my undergrad, we used to make the Hawaiian "Imu" and Samoan "Umu" on a regular basis. It's strange that each island has its own version of making the earth oven. I was once told by an old lady that many islands have lost their so called "magic" over the years.

But some things are just strange and inexplicable. One event I used to enjoy watching in Fiji as a young child was the annual charcoal/firewalking by the Hindu's around my area at a local Mandir. I was happy that they didn't mind me watching.

rms2
04-04-2014, 11:30 AM
About ten years ago or so I was teaching at an old, long-established, private military academy. We lived in a farmhouse on the school property. The farmhouse was over 100 years old. I never experienced anything weird in the entire two or three years we lived there, but I did on the day we moved out. Here's what happened.

My youngest son and I spent all day loading one of those you-load-we-drive trucks with our furniture and other items. We locked up the house and the truck and went to my son's house, about 15-20 minutes away, for the evening. Once at my son's house, I realized I had left my gold crucifix hanging on a nail on the wall in our former bedroom at the old house. I still had a spare key to the house, so I drove back to retrieve the crucifix. It was about 11pm. The month was August, so the weather was very warm.

When I arrived at the old farmhouse, I unlocked the back door (we always entered the house via the back door) and went inside. The house was empty, of course, and everything was dark. As soon as I stepped inside and shut the door, I heard a very pleasant female voice say clearly, "Well, hello!" Needless to say, I was startled and not a little frightened. The voice seemed to come from in front of me and at least a couple of feet above me. It was dark, but I could see well enough. There was no one there whom I could see, and no ghostly apparitions either.

As I said, the voice was pleasant and not threatening. The tone seemed to imply that whoever it was was surprised but glad to see me. The voice sounded like that of a relatively young woman, and it was a nice voice, as if the woman behind it was attractive. Nevertheless, it scared the crud out of me!

I crossed myself and headed up the stairs to retrieve my crucifix and get the heck out of Dodge. I got what I came for and beat a hasty retreat back to my pickup truck.

"Well, hello" was the only thing I heard. The voice did not say anything else that I heard, and I did not attempt to answer or ask any questions. Looking back, I wish I had had the courage and presence of mind to say something like, "Who are you?"

My son laughed when he heard the story and said that I was probably just tired. I said no, I was wide awake, did not really believe in ghosts, and went to that house expecting nothing and fearing nothing. I heard what I heard, and I heard it clearly and unmistakably. It wasn't the sound of a creaking door or loose floor boards. It was a woman's voice.

My wife said that at times when she had been alone in that house she had gotten the feeling that she wasn't really alone and that there was a presence there with her. She said she suspected that someone who had once lived in that house had committed suicide, but she really couldn't explain why she felt that way or why she had never mentioned it before.

I had never really experienced anything supernatural before, and I haven't experienced anything supernatural since. But that was weird, and I still do not have a reasonable explanation for it.

MikeWhalen
04-04-2014, 05:06 PM
its stories like that, from sensible guys like you, that make you really wonder how things really work

M

Gray Fox
04-04-2014, 11:55 PM
I've never had a full on "ghost experience" myself. A lot of family members have had them though. And while I wouldn't automatically discredit them, often times a logical explanation was found upon further questioning of what was going on with them at the time. Emotions, state of mind and environmental factors are usually the culprits. The mind can be a scary thing if it isn't understood. Of course as others have said, not everything has an explanation either.

My only experience that I couldn't find a reasonable explanation for occurred about ten years ago. I was eighteen, I had just dropped out of school (Ah youth) and I had just started working for my Dad at the food service company he managed. Naturally I moved out with my cousin and best friend and life was pretty good. The house we moved into was built by my maternal Great Grandfather and my Great aunt and her husband were the first occupants. There were a few others following them, all family in varying distances of relatedness. Of these relatives one was an older cousin who had started a family and moved into the house next to ours. Come to think of it, he lived there with my Great aunt shortly before she died.

The first thing I noticed when we moved into the house was a bare foot-print in the room which connected the living room and kitchen. Now this wasn't a foot print like someone had gotten their feet wet and left a mark. This looked as if it were burnt into the wood flooring. I tried cleaning it to see if that would help, but this was well established and was now part of the floor. It was about the size of a woman's foot and I kept thinking of my great aunt. So I finally went next door one day and asked my cousin about it. He said it had been there for as long as anyone could remember. He didn't have any more info, so I just tried to forget about it.

A few weeks later in my friends room we discovered another, larger foot print under a rug that hadn't been moved since we got there. This was a very large foot. I wear a size twelve and my foot easily fit within it. The main difference between these prints was that the smaller one had clearly visible toe impressions, while the larger was clearly a foot, but had no discernible toe marks. These two prints were both "burned" into the wood and had appeared after the flooring was put down. I asked my cousin about the second foot print and he didn't believe me until I brought him over to see it. He just looked at it and said "That's unusual".

I began asking other relatives who had been in the house closer to when it was originally built. No one knew about the second foot print, but most seemed to recall the smaller one. Of course none of them could remember when it happened, but no one really seemed to question it either. I started to think maybe it was from staining the floor or something, but the floors had not been stained and the color of the prints was much, much deeper.

After all of this, I began to get an uneasy feeling in the house. I often stayed there at night by myself and always felt like someone was watching me. Nothing truly spooky happened, just an uneasy feeling. I moved out shortly after and my cousin remained there, but let the place fall apart and no one has lived there since. I'm still left scratching my head over that one. Weird stuff.

Táltos
04-05-2014, 03:31 AM
I've never had a full on "ghost experience" myself. A lot of family members have had them though. And while I wouldn't automatically discredit them, often times a logical explanation was found upon further questioning of what was going on with them at the time. Emotions, state of mind and environmental factors are usually the culprits. The mind can be a scary thing if it isn't understood. Of course as others have said, not everything has an explanation either.

My only experience that I couldn't find a reasonable explanation for occurred about ten years ago. I was eighteen, I had just dropped out of school (Ah youth) and I had just started working for my Dad at the food service company he managed. Naturally I moved out with my cousin and best friend and life was pretty good. The house we moved into was built by my maternal Great Grandfather and my Great aunt and her husband were the first occupants. There were a few others following them, all family in varying distances of relatedness. Of these relatives one was an older cousin who had started a family and moved into the house next to ours. Come to think of it, he lived there with my Great aunt shortly before she died.

The first thing I noticed when we moved into the house was a bare foot-print in the room which connected the living room and kitchen. Now this wasn't a foot print like someone had gotten their feet wet and left a mark. This looked as if it were burnt into the wood flooring. I tried cleaning it to see if that would help, but this was well established and was now part of the floor. It was about the size of a woman's foot and I kept thinking of my great aunt. So I finally went next door one day and asked my cousin about it. He said it had been there for as long as anyone could remember. He didn't have any more info, so I just tried to forget about it.

A few weeks later in my friends room we discovered another, larger foot print under a rug that hadn't been moved since we got there. This was a very large foot. I wear a size twelve and my foot easily fit within it. The main difference between these prints was that the smaller one had clearly visible toe impressions, while the larger was clearly a foot, but had no discernible toe marks. These two prints were both "burned" into the wood and had appeared after the flooring was put down. I asked my cousin about the second foot print and he didn't believe me until I brought him over to see it. He just looked at it and said "That's unusual".

I began asking other relatives who had been in the house closer to when it was originally built. No one knew about the second foot print, but most seemed to recall the smaller one. Of course none of them could remember when it happened, but no one really seemed to question it either. I started to think maybe it was from staining the floor or something, but the floors had not been stained and the color of the prints was much, much deeper.

After all of this, I began to get an uneasy feeling in the house. I often stayed there at night by myself and always felt like someone was watching me. Nothing truly spooky happened, just an uneasy feeling. I moved out shortly after and my cousin remained there, but let the place fall apart and no one has lived there since. I'm still left scratching my head over that one. Weird stuff.
Sam your experience reminds me of the hand print on the wall at the old jail in Jim Thorpe,PA. When I was there for a tour, I actually had to leave when I was down in the dungeon part. I had a very oppressive feeling come over me, and I felt like I was going to vomit. It came on all of the sudden, and I had been fine throughout the whole tour. So not sure what that was about. As soon as I got out of the dungeon, I felt perfectly fine. http://www.weirdus.com/states/pennsylvania/unexplained_phenomena/carbon_county_jail_handprint/index.php

I have a few weird stories I could share with you guys here, but then you might think I'm too weird!

rms2
04-05-2014, 10:59 PM
You should see the old dungeon in Bunratty Castle in Ireland. Talk about a black hole! Yikes! I got an unpleasant feeling looking at it, but I think that was because I could clearly imagine what it was like being thrown down in there or being suspended from its wall by the set of manacles that were there.

If you ever visit there and see the dungeon, you'll know what I mean. It was far worse than I had imagined.

Táltos
04-06-2014, 04:50 PM
You should see the old dungeon in Bunratty Castle in Ireland. Talk about a black hole! Yikes! I got an unpleasant feeling looking at it, but I think that was because I could clearly imagine what it was like being thrown down in there or being suspended from its wall by the set of manacles that were there.

If you ever visit there and see the dungeon, you'll know what I mean. It was far worse than I had imagined.
Yes the mind can be strongly persuaded by the power of suggestion. Unfortunately when I was in Ireland, I didn't go to Bunratty Castle. However I did see plenty of castles while there. Everywhere you look there is a castle or a ruin of one. Ah, a girl's romantic dream. :love: Lucky for me I had nothing but good vibes in Ireland. However we did come across this oddity while hiking up Torc Mountain. Hmm, wonder if I could use it for one of those Bigfoot type shows that I like, LOL!