PDA

View Full Version : Getting an understanding of H31a

Geolocke
03-15-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm fairly new to the Mito side of DNA testing so I have a newbie question here.

Background information:
I had my father tested FMS last year and uploaded his results to Mitosearch.
He is mt hg H31a and has:
8 HVR-I differences from RSRS (1 of which is an extra mutation)
8 HVR-II differences from RSRS (4 of which are extra mutations)
34 CR differences from RSRS (1 of which is an extra mutation)

As for matches he has:
0 matches at GD=0
23 matches at GD=1
10 matches at GD=2
6 matches at GD=3

Until recently I was working strictly from a genealogical viewpoint, under the impression that any mito match with a GD other than 0 is not a match (in the genealogical timeframe). But lately I have begun educating myself on the SNP side of the tests, looking more at the deeper ancestry of things.

I haven't seen any threads about H31a on this board (unless I missed them) so my question is, "If I want to understand the deeper meaning of my father's FMS, what should I look at first; differences from RSRS, extra mutations, both, neither, or the location of the nearest pub?"

Thanks.

soulblighter
03-15-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm fairly new to the Mito side of DNA testing so I have a newbie question here.

Background information:
I had my father tested FMS last year and uploaded his results to Mitosearch.
He is mt hg H31a and has:
8 HVR-I differences from RSRS (1 of which is an extra mutation)
8 HVR-II differences from RSRS (4 of which are extra mutations)
34 CR differences from RSRS (1 of which is an extra mutation)

As for matches he has:
0 matches at GD=0
23 matches at GD=1
10 matches at GD=2
6 matches at GD=3

Until recently I was working strictly from a genealogical viewpoint, under the impression that any mito match with a GD other than 0 is not a match (in the genealogical timeframe). But lately I have begun educating myself on the SNP side of the tests, looking more at the deeper ancestry of things.

I haven't seen any threads about H31a on this board (unless I missed them) so my question is, "If I want to understand the deeper meaning of my father's FMS, what should I look at first; differences from RSRS, extra mutations, both, neither, or the location of the nearest pub?"

Thanks.

FMS results are difficult to use for recent genealogy unless he has very specific private mutations shared with someone else you know. If you are interested in deep ancestry, you can compare his results with those at genbank http://ianlogan.co.uk/checker/genbank.htm
You can have him submit his results to genbank then, and run blast on the site to compare results to other publications and make a tree if need be.

Rathna
03-16-2014, 12:37 AM
Watching the H31, H31a and H31b in "Ian Logan spreadsheet", I'd say that this haplogroup is 100% European, mostly Western European, from Italy to North West. The Finnish sample came probably from the Southern Refugia.

Geolocke
03-16-2014, 01:23 AM
You can have him submit his results to genbank then, and run blast on the site to compare results to other publications and make a tree if need be.

Thanks, I'll do that!

Geolocke
03-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Watching the H31, H31a and H31b in "Ian Logan spreadsheet", I'd say that this haplogroup is 100% European, mostly Western European, from Italy to North West. The Finnish sample came probably from the Southern Refugia.

Most of his near matches appear to trace their lines back to Scotland with a smattering of continentals thrown in. According to his autosomal Test, his ethnic breakdown is as follows:

Continent (Subcontinent)
Population
Percentage
Margin of Error

Europe (Western European)
French, Orcadian, Spanish
84.99%
11.69%

Europe
Tuscan, Finnish, Romanian, Russian
15.01%
11.69%