PDA

View Full Version : Vasojevic tribe

excine
02-26-2021, 05:25 AM

Here is an image of Vasojevic muslims (1912) perhaps from Sandzak if I had to guess, the origin of this tribe still boggles my mind to this day. I can't really find anything too conclusive about its ethnogenetic origins, as its usually being disputed in forums, and Wikipedia doesn't really go too in-depth about it. I am not sure if it was common for traditional Albanian clothing, including the Plis being worn by Muslim (Serbs) in Sandzak?

43553 Here is another image of Serbian Vasojevici, were they ever mentioned as Serbs historically? If so what would their paternal origins be?

J Man
02-26-2021, 05:29 AM
^The Montenegrin Vasojevici tribe comes from the Brda region of Montenegro. I think that they are mainly E-V13 although I'm not sure how closely they are related to any Albanian E-V13.

excine
02-26-2021, 06:18 AM
Yeah, Idk it amazes me how they have extremely similar clothing to Malesors though.

Kelmendasi
02-26-2021, 02:48 PM
In regards to Y-DNA, the dominant Vasojevići cluster of E-Y126722 (https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-Y126722/) is very distant from the Albanian E-V13 clusters that have been well-tested so far. The closest cluster is E-Y173058 (https://www.yfull.com/tree/E-Y173058/) which is comprised by an Albanian from Kosovo who traces his origin back to the Dushmani of the Dukagjini highlands and an Arbëreshë. The relation with the Vasojevići is ~4,300 ybp. From what I have read, the closest matches to the Vasojevići are from around Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia.

As for the oral traditions surrounding the Vasojevići, the story which maintains that they are are related to or descended from an Albanian forefather is that which places them as stemming from a certain Keq Preka (the patronym however is also given as Panta or Ponti). This Keq was a Catholic Albanian who fled the Ottomans and ended up settling with his sons around eastern Montenegro. His son Vaso Keqi is believed to have been the ancestor of the Vasojevići. This tradition places the Vasojevići as being related to Albanian tribes such as the Hoti (from Lazër Keqi), Trieshi (from Ban Keqi), and Krasniqi (from Kaster Keqi), as well as the Montenegrin tribes of Piperi (from Piper or Pipo Keqi) and Mrkojevići (from Merkota Keqi). However, all of these tribes belong to different haplogroups so it is clear that the tradition is a fabrication.

There is also another tradition however which places the ancestor of the Vasojevići as a certain Vaso (also referred to as Stefan Vasoje) who arrived from Herzegovina and was a descendant of the Serbian Nemanjić dynasty through Stefan Konstantin (r. 1321-1322 CE). However this story is also a fabrication, it was common for Montenegrin tribes to trace their lineages back to nobility in order to seem more prestigious. Also some of the supposed forefathers are more likely to be legendary characters rather than actual historical ones, such as Stevo Vasojević who allegedly was the son of Vaso and and even fought in the Battle of Kosovo of 1389 according to Serbian epic poetry. A similar thing can be seen with the Old Kuči who in later centuries fabricated an origin from a fictional member of the Serbian Mrnjavčević family, Gojko Mrnjavčević.

As for the historiography, the earliest mentions of the Vasojevići are from the fifteenth century. The first document is a Ragusan Senate report from 1444 which places them somewhere around Medun in Kuči/Kuçi tribal territory as a group responsible for attacking Ragusan merchants. In the Ottoman defter of the sanjak of Shkodra of 1485 also records the village of Rečiča (recorded as Reçiça in the Albanian translation) which was also known by the name of Vasojević near Piperi. The anthroponyms recorded in the village are primarily typical Orthodox Serbian names such as Branko and Radla, however the name Duka is recorded, this is a typical Albanian anthroponym. Should also mention that a certain Radoslav Herčegović is recorded.

excine
02-26-2021, 04:34 PM
Ah okay that's interesting, well if I had to guess some of these migrants to Sandzak seem to have been close with the Albanian culture just regarding off these photos and how they established theirselves, doesn't seem like to me as being originally Serbs, possibly some Vlacho-Albanian tribe? Who knows, as you said the relation as of now is quite far but maybe more sampling might help solve this, either way thanks.