PDA

View Full Version : Barellalee's 23andMe Results and Questions

Barellalee
03-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Hi everyone, I hope I'm doing this correctly lol. My name is Ashton. I have recently I had 23andMe Testing, and then the GEDmatch run-down. I was hoping someone could please help me decipher that these GEDmatch results could be trying to tell me. My Father's background is fully English (Yorkshire, Durham, Lancashire) and my Mother's background is fully Italian (Tuscany, Abruzzo, Campania). My Y-DNA Haplogroup, from the Yorkshire side, turned out to be I2a1 (P37.2). I don't have a Subclade, although from my Raw Data I can definitely see that I'm not I2a1a nor I2a1b. I2a1d would be also ruled out, as that has been found restricted to a certain geographical area of France, so I'm thinking it has to be either I2a1c (found in Germany and England), or I2a1e (found in Normandy and England). My MtDNA, from the Tuscan side, turned out to be J2a1. On 23andMe, my Ancestral Composition in Standard is mostly "Italian" and "Nonspecific Northern European", with tiny percentages of "Nonspecific Southern European", "British/Irish", and "French/German". In Conservative, I'm just about completely "Italian", "Nonspecific Southern European", and "Nonspecific Northern European". In Speculative, nearly all of the "Nonspecific Northern European" becomes "British/Irish" and "French/German", and nearly all of the "Nonspecific Southern European" becomes "Italian", save a tiny fraction that becomes "Iberian". For the record, on all Modes, no other Populations appear for Northern Europe, other than "British/Irish" and "French/German", and no other Populations appear for Southern Europe, other than "Italian" and "Iberian". Here are my GEDmatch results. Any opinions, thoughts, and help appreciated! :-)
EUROGENES-EU TEST:
21% North Central European
15% East Mediterranean
15% West Mediterranean
10% South Baltic
8% West Asian
8% East European
2% Middle Eastern
1 Population Approximation:
1 French
2 North Italian
3 AT?
4 PT?
5 Serbian
6 Tuscan
7 West & Central German
8 ES?
9 RO?
10 NL?
Mixed Mode Sharing:
1 Cornish
2 English
3 Tuscan
4 NL?
5 NL?
6 English
7 Cornish
8 Orcadian
9 Tuscan
10 IE?
EUROGENES-EUROGENES K9:
31% Mediterranean
15% Caucasus
5% Southwest Asian
2% South Asian
EUROGENES-J TEST:
20% North Central European
14% East Mediterranean
14% West Mediterranean
10% South Baltic
7% East European
7% West Asian
7% Ashkenazi
1 Population Approximation:
1 French
2 North Italian
3 AT?
4 PT?
5 Serbian
6 Tuscan
7 West & Central German
8 ES?
9 RO?
10 NL?
Mixed Mode Sharing:
1 Cornish
2 English
3 Tuscan
4 Tuscan
5 Tuscan
6 NL?
7 Tuscan
8 Tuscan
9 Orcadian
10 Tuscan

On the 4 Mixed Populations: My results are pretty consistently any combo of Tuscan+North Italian+South Italian & Sicilian+German+English+Scottish+Argyll+Cornish+Or cadian+Greek. Here and there, albeit rarely, Cypriot and Armenian appear.

Calamus
03-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Your results looks like a good fit for a English/Italian mix.

AT, PT etc are two letter country codes.
AT= Austria
PT= Portugal
ES= Spain
RO= Romania
NL= Netherlands
IE = Ireland

If you want to find out more about your Y-DNA and mtDNA Haplogroups. I would suggest also testing with FTDNA.

Barellalee
03-17-2014, 12:08 AM
Thank you! So odd results like Cornish and Greek may just mean the possibility that I share SNPs with people who may be ethnically Greek or Cornish, not that I necessarily have any origins in Greece or Cornwall per se, correct? Also, I wondered if you could better decipher this. The latest and most wide-ranging report on Italy's DNA came out in 2013, the work of Boattini and Martinez-Cruz, it's posted on PlOSOne. Of Italy's MtDNA it says that "Mitochondrial variability dates back to the Paleolithic, and supports the existence of an Italian Refugium during the Last Glacial Maximum". Of Italy's YDNA, it says, "Y Chromosome (data) points to the importance of the demographic events that happened in the Neolithic and Metal Ages had in the male Italian patterns of diversity and distribtion." Also related to this, the report earlier on says that "most of Italy's YDNA originated from few common ancestors living during the late Neolithic times and early Metal Ages". Do these terminologies imply that they believe that most of modern Italian's MtDNA was already in and/or arrived to Italy itself per se as of the Paleolithic? Likewise, does this seem to indicate that they believe most of Italy's YDNA was already present in and/or arrived to Italy itself in the Neolithic and Metal Ages?

Barellalee
05-16-2014, 02:23 AM
Okay, so forgive me but some questions were raised by the statements of others, and I'd like some better expert interpretation from the more educated about GEDmatch if I may so. I am of the understanding that Eurogenes is the most accurate Calculator, but others will know what to look for. I'm half English and half Italian (50% North English, 25% Central Italian, 25% South Italian). My Y-DNA from the English side comes from the historic Germanic area, and my MtDNA from the Central Italian side covers a general western and central European territory, but naturally these are only two small parts of the Genome. Do my GEDmatch readings seem to indicate noticeable British (Pre Anglo-Saxon) ancestry for the English side, and likewise, does there seem to be noticeable Greek or "Aegean" pull for the Italian side?? What I mean is, do I show inflations in these areas that my indicate a significant degree of ancient British and/or Greek/Aegean ancestry as opposed to the general readings for Englishmen and Italians? Perhaps the various "scores" are just speculations based on geographic and Genomic proximity, but input would be appreciated. Thank you! Kit # 174701