PDA

View Full Version : J2a

Barellalee
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Dedicated to the study of MtDNA Haplogroup J2a. J was once thought to have entered Europe altogether with the Neolithic Revolution. It is now recognized that J1c and J2a were present in Europe much earlier. J2a originated in Europe 19,200 YPB, and my own lineage, J2a1, 16,500 YBP. J2a1 is found in central, northern, and western Europe at a lower frequency, peaking (2%-5%) in the Alps, Scandinavia, Germany, and England. Touching on larger Subclades, perhaps the most famous known carrier of J2 was the Tuscan Renaissance writer Petrarch.

Rathna
03-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Dedicated to the study of MtDNA Haplogroup J2a. J was once thought to have entered Europe altogether with the Neolithic Revolution. It is now recognized that J1c and J2a were present in Europe much earlier. J2a originated in Europe 19,200 YPB, and my own lineage, J2a1, 16,500 YBP. J2a1 is found in central, northern, and western Europe at a lower frequency, peaking (2%-5%) in the Alps, Scandinavia, Germany, and England. Touching on larger Subclades, perhaps the most famous known carrier of J2 was the Tuscan Renaissance writer Petrarch.

I discussed a lot about the mtDNA of Petrarch/Petrarca with Ellen Levy-Coffman on Rootsweb, and the year has to be 2007, because at the end of that year I was banned. I remember that Ellen denied he was hg. J, because its mtDNA lacked 16069 mutation. Anyway Petrarca (1304-1374) doesn't belong to the Renaissance, being the first Humanist.
You may be proud to belong to the same haplogroup, being Petrarca one of the greatest geniuses humankind has had, above all for those who may read him in his languages: Italian and Latin.

Il PapÓ
03-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Mtdna J2 has also been found in ancient minoans remains.

Barellalee
03-30-2014, 09:12 PM
That is very interesting and thanks. I wonder what Haplogroup she believed him to belong to then lol. As far as my J2a1 Subclade, do you believe there are any indicators as to what culture in Italy it could be tied? I suppose I'm a bit of a fixator in that arena I admit sorry. From what I have learned, it's very western, central, and northern European, but occurs at a low frequency even in those places. In Italy it is a bit more elevated in the Alps than anywhere else.

Little bit
03-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Hello J2a's, J1c3i here, but I've been researching mtdna J for some time and I have some links you may be interested in:

Eupedia J - I like this one, pretty comprehensive. Given J2a1's increased prevalence in Northern Europe/Scandinavia, I'm guessing it's association in Italy would be with those with less recent Near East introgression?
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_J_mtDNA.shtml

This has some nice diagrams and maps:
Supplemental Data Mitochondrial DNA Signals of Late Glacial Recolonization of Europe from Near Eastern Refugia
http://download.cell.com/AJHG/mmcs/journals/0002-9297/PIIS0002929712002042.mmc1.pdf

Barellalee
06-24-2014, 01:33 AM
Does anyone know what Call makes 16231 positive in J2a1? There are studies that link being positive for 16231 in J2a1 with a Germanic origin, so I am wondering if C or T makes it positive, as I can't find any info.

Barellalee
07-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Online I see 16231 T>C listed on some sites. Does anyone know if this is right, i.e., C is Positive?

Barellalee
09-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Hello J2a's, J1c3i here, but I've been researching mtdna J for some time and I have some links you may be interested in:

Eupedia J - I like this one, pretty comprehensive. Given J2a1's increased prevalence in Northern Europe/Scandinavia, I'm guessing it's association in Italy would be with those with less recent Near East introgression?
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_J_mtDNA.shtml

This has some nice diagrams and maps:
Supplemental Data Mitochondrial DNA Signals of Late Glacial Recolonization of Europe from Near Eastern Refugia
http://download.cell.com/AJHG/mmcs/journals/0002-9297/PIIS0002929712002042.mmc1.pdf

Hello I'm not sure. I believe that both J2a and J2a1 both actually originated in Europe. My Maternal background being Tuscan, I was very interested when my haplogroup turned out as J2a1. I've had it further analyzed since then, and that adds another interesting twist. Turns out I'm ultra J2a1 with absolutely no further Mutations, those that characterize other J2a1s, and thatare commonly found in the Northern European J2a1s. Thus its an extremely original and archaic J2a1.