PDA

View Full Version : Any new understanding on early branching of P312?

alan
03-21-2014, 07:20 PM
I was wondering if the new SNP work is shedding any new light on the period between P312 and U152/L21/DF27 etc. I have long wondered if SNP work will show a sequence of branching off from P312 rather than just the P312 father and three branches.

rms2
03-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Well, DF99 has been added as a fourth son of P312. I don't know of any other branching, however. Perhaps the BIG Y or Full Genome testing will reveal branches just below P312 that are shared by some of the P312 subclades but not by the others.

GoldenHind
03-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Well, DF99 has been added as a fourth son of P312. I don't know of any other branching, however. Perhaps the BIG Y or Full Genome testing will reveal branches just below P312 that are shared by some of the P312 subclades but not by the others.

Actually DF99 is the sixth branch of P312, the others being DF19 and L238. Of these three, the current data suggests DF19 is the most numerous. It does however have some advantages over the other two- a very enthusiastic team monitoring it, the fact that some of its SNPs are included in Geno 2 and the Walk the Y, and a source of funding for encouraging testing.

There is also a fair number who remain P312**, so there remains at least one, and possibly three or more, P312 branches which remain unidentified.

It will be very interesting to see if an upstream connection will be found between any of the branches. In my opinion L238 is the most likely candidate, as it appears to be considerably younger than the other branches. But we are getting hit with so many new SNPs from FGC and the Big Y, it is likely to take quite some time to get them all sorted.

Webb
03-22-2014, 11:06 PM
To put in perspective I'll use CTS4065. I think it has been almost a year from when it was added to Geno 2.0, it's position sorted out in the north/south cluster, to added to ISOGG under investigation listing, to offered by FTDNA as a snp test.

rms2
03-23-2014, 12:43 AM
Actually DF99 is the sixth branch of P312, the others being DF19 and L238. Of these three, the current data suggests DF19 is the most numerous. It does however have some advantages over the other two- a very enthusiastic team monitoring it, the fact that some of its SNPs are included in Geno 2 and the Walk the Y, and a source of funding for encouraging testing.

There is also a fair number who remain P312**, so there remains at least one, and possibly three or more, P312 branches which remain unidentified.

It will be very interesting to see if an upstream connection will be found between any of the branches. In my opinion L238 is the most likely candidate, as it appears to be considerably younger than the other branches. But we are getting hit with so many new SNPs from FGC and the Big Y, it is likely to take quite some time to get them all sorted.

Oops! Sorry: I don't know how I forgot DF19 and L238. Brain fart, I guess, or creeping old age. :embarrassed:

alan
03-23-2014, 03:29 AM
That is what I am really interested in.

rms2
03-23-2014, 12:26 PM
That is what I am really interested in.

That's what I thought. I am interested in that, too. I would also like to see something similar with the current branches of L21, i.e., to find out that some of what are now regarded as major branches actually sit on even larger branches together.