PDA

View Full Version : Map of Surname Matches

rms2
03-30-2014, 12:36 AM
This may be of little interest to anyone but me, but I have created a Google map of my closest y-dna STR matches who share my surname or a variant of it here (http://goo.gl/maps/BgfGC).

I think I have been blessed with a pretty fair number of good same-surname matches in the years since 2006, when I got my first 37-marker y-dna results from FTDNA.

The "Holy Grail" of my genealogical quest is to find out who my y-dna immigrant ancestor was and where he came from. I am hoping all of these puzzle pieces will provide leads that can be tracked down and used to extend my y-dna pedigree back in time.

rms2
04-02-2014, 12:39 AM
One of the 37-marker matches on my map (36/37) has just ordered an upgrade to 67 markers. I am happy about that. I hope the match holds up.

Gray Fox
04-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Through my maternal Grandfather's mother, I can trace back to a Dorcas Stephens born in mid 1700's Virginia to a John Stephens. This John was born to a Richard Steevens/Stevens who was born in 1690 in Middlesex, Virginia. They ultimately trace their ancestry to a Robert Stephens of Stepney, England. Of course this tree is mostly conjecture and is filled with holes.

Here's the ancestry paper trail.. I don't know if this is of any help to you, but its better to leave no stone un-turned.

http://records.ancestry.com/Robert_Stephens_records.ashx?pid=34643389

rms2
04-02-2014, 01:27 AM
I appreciate the info. We cannot make a connection to that line yet, but who knows what will turn up?

Gray Fox
04-02-2014, 08:03 AM
I appreciate the info. We cannot make a connection to that line yet, but who knows what will turn up?

You're welcome. I did a quick search for your mdka and most, if not all of the available info had you're name attached! That Robert Stephens seems to have settled in Maryland. Which is a good launch point for your current matches. Which seem to be more North east, so if I had to give a guess as to where they sprung from, that would be it. Could be wrong though, but I have a feeling about this for you!

There are some Isaacs who settled just up the road from me in the early 1800's, that I have no connection to. They were originally from Maryland and it seems a lot of the families that settled there took a path through the places where you're getting matches from. I ended up tracing them my "cousins" to East Anglia and they belonged to haplo I1. This stuff never gets old!

rms2
05-10-2014, 10:53 PM
One of the 37-marker matches on my map (36/37) has just ordered an upgrade to 67 markers. I am happy about that. I hope the match holds up.

That match, Stevens, kit 326490, went to 64/67 last night or early this morning. He matches another of my matches (surname Stephens) 65/67. There are five of us involved in chipping in to pay for an upgrade to 111 markers, so that is in the works (the donating, that is - we haven't ordered the upgrade yet).

I've been doing some digging into Fayette County, Pennsylvania, where my new match's mdka was born in 1787. I don't have anything firm yet, but a possible "person of interest" is Evan Stephens (or Evan ap Stephen), who was born in Cardiff, Wales, in 1692 and immigrated to North America in 1715. He lived and died in Bucks County, PA, but some of his sons went to Fayette County. It's not much yet, but it's better than nothing! :biggrin1:

Gray Fox
05-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Glad you're making some leeway!

rms2
05-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Those of us Stevens/Stephens who are close matches have pooled our resources and ordered an upgrade to 111 markers for kit 326490. It was way less painful than just one of us springing for the whole thing.

rms2
06-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Those of us Stevens/Stephens who are close matches have pooled our resources and ordered an upgrade to 111 markers for kit 326490. It was way less painful than just one of us springing for the whole thing.

All but one panel of his 111-marker upgrade has come in, and he has picked up only one more unit of genetic distance from me. If that holds up, and it should, we'll be a 107/111 match, which is not bad. That will make kit 326490 one of two 107/111 matches I have, and those are my two closest 111-marker matches, one with the surname Stevens, spelled as my surname is spelled, and one with the surname Stephens.

Kit 326490's closest match at 67 was my Stephens match, 65/67, but he has picked up two more units of genetic distance on him, so, if everything stays the same, we three will all be four off each other at 111 markers and will be each other's closest matches.

Kit 326490 lacks Panel 5, markers 76-85, for his upgrade to be complete. Hope those come in soon!

rms2
07-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Kit 326490 got the last panel of his 111-marker upgrade late yesterday or early this morning. We are now a 107/111 match. That makes three of us who are each other's mutual, closest matches at 107/111: two with the surname Stevens (326490 and I), and one with the surname Stephens. We have one more Stevens one more away at 106/111.

vettor
07-05-2014, 12:22 AM
This may be of little interest to anyone but me, but I have created a Google map of my closest y-dna STR matches who share my surname or a variant of it here (http://goo.gl/maps/BgfGC).

I think I have been blessed with a pretty fair number of good same-surname matches in the years since 2006, when I got my first 37-marker y-dna results from FTDNA.

The "Holy Grail" of my genealogical quest is to find out who my y-dna immigrant ancestor was and where he came from. I am hoping all of these puzzle pieces will provide leads that can be tracked down and used to extend my y-dna pedigree back in time.

did you use ..in Gedmatch....the GEDCOM+DNA matches ?

going through pedigrees and the descents link for each match gave me further surnames to pursue ...............just found 2 from 1766 that also match 23andme and ftdna people's ancestral surnames

rms2
07-05-2014, 12:10 PM
did you use ..in Gedmatch....the GEDCOM+DNA matches ?

going through pedigrees and the descents link for each match gave me further surnames to pursue ...............just found 2 from 1766 that also match 23andme and ftdna people's ancestral surnames

I have not done that yet. My main focus is on my surname (y-dna) line, and most of these folks are just barely interested in genetic testing and not overly lavish in spending on it. Only one of them besides me has done the Family Finder, and he and I do not show up among each other's FF matches. I'm sure that is because our most recent common ancestor probably lived back in the 18th or perhaps the 17th century, and we just do not share enough autosomal dna to show up as matches in Family Finder. I'm thinking of ordering the Family Finder for my dad to see how that turns out.

vettor
07-05-2014, 06:54 PM
I have not done that yet. My main focus is on my surname (y-dna) line, and most of these folks are just barely interested in genetic testing and not overly lavish in spending on it. Only one of them besides me has done the Family Finder, and he and I do not show up among each other's FF matches. I'm sure that is because our most recent common ancestor probably lived back in the 18th or perhaps the 17th century, and we just do not share enough autosomal dna to show up as matches in Family Finder. I'm thinking of ordering the Family Finder for my dad to see how that turns out.

if you want to only search for surnames, then you should search link below, its free

http://en.geneanet.org/

rms2
08-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Since my recent 107/111 match has a y-dna mdka born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, not far east of where my own y-dna mdka was born (in Wheeling, West Virginia), I have been looking into records in that county at Ancestry.com. I found that apparently a number of Welsh Stevens/Stephens settled in Fayette County, PA, and some of them were the sons of a Welsh immigrant, Evan ap Stephen, aka Evan Stephens, from Llanbister in Radnorshire.

I have tried to get hold of a couple of his living descendants via Ancestry, offering them free y-dna tests through FTDNA, but neither of them has responded.

Sigh . . .

I'm still hoping, but the hope of securing a y-dna test result from a documented y-dna descendant of Evan Stephens is fading. He looks like a good suspect, however, since there were apparently also a bunch of Samuels living in the same area (I have a 105/111 match with a Welsh Samuel), and Llanbister is also not far from where my Beddoes matches were from.

rms2
08-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Since my recent 107/111 match has a y-dna mdka born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, not far east of where my own y-dna mdka was born (in Wheeling, West Virginia), I have been looking into records in that county at Ancestry.com. I found that apparently a number of Welsh Stevens/Stephens settled in Fayette County, PA, and some of them were the sons of a Welsh immigrant, Evan ap Stephen, aka Evan Stephens, from Llanbister in Radnorshire.

I have tried to get hold of a couple of his living descendants via Ancestry, offering them free y-dna tests through FTDNA, but neither of them has responded.

Sigh . . .

I'm still hoping, but the hope of securing a y-dna test result from a documented y-dna descendant of Evan Stephens is fading. He looks like a good suspect, however, since there were apparently also a bunch of Samuels living in the same area (I have a 105/111 match with a Welsh Samuel), and Llanbister is also not far from where my Beddoes matches were from.

I just finished hunting up some more potential descendants of Evan Stephens at Ancestry. I sent them all a message asking them to put me in touch with any of his y-dna descendants who might be interested in a y-dna test with FTDNA.

If I get a taker or two, I will start at 12 markers. If an exact match shows up, I will attempt to raise the money from among my current circle of closest Stevens/Stephens matches to upgrade that person right to 111 markers.

rms2
08-04-2014, 01:43 PM
I heard from two Stephens descendants of Evan Stephens this morning. Hooray! One of them is female, but she has four brothers. Evan is their fifth great grandfather. The other descendant I heard from is male. I would like to get one from each group to test, if they're willing. We'll see!

Like I said before, if they agree to test, I'll start with 12 markers. If we get an exact match, I'll recruit my circle of closest Stevens/Stephens matches, and we'll upgrade them straight to 111 markers.

Prayers are appreciated.

MJost
08-04-2014, 01:49 PM
That's how it's done!!! Keep hunting.

MJost

rms2
08-07-2014, 01:03 PM
I heard from two Stephens descendants of Evan Stephens this morning. Hooray! One of them is female, but she has four brothers. Evan is their fifth great grandfather. The other descendant I heard from is male. I would like to get one from each group to test, if they're willing. We'll see!

Like I said before, if they agree to test, I'll start with 12 markers. If we get an exact match, I'll recruit my circle of closest Stevens/Stephens matches, and we'll upgrade them straight to 111 markers.

Prayers are appreciated.

Well, I may have scared these people off.

I haven't heard back from them. It's very frustrating when something is so important to you and you depend on the whim of others.

TŠltos
08-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Well, I may have scared these people off.

I haven't heard back from them. It's very frustrating when something is so important to you and you depend on the whim of others.
It's only been a few days since you heard from them. They might be busy with work, or maybe a last minute get away before the kids go back to school. (If they have kids.) Or who knows what else could be going on in their life. Sick family member? Anyway what a great connection to make for you! Yes it is frustrating, but just hang in there, you might get what you want sooner than you think. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Gray Fox
08-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Yep, I know just what you are going through. My connection back to old country was difficult to establish too. We played cat and mouse for about a month before my Admin finally just said he'll pay for it if it ends this back and forth nonsense. He knew how important he was too, so he kinda used that against us. Whatever. We got the dna tested and proved the connection. He's not a bad guy, he just acted oddly towards it, even though it wasn't his first testing experience. Some people.

rms2
08-08-2014, 08:14 PM
I heard back from the man today. He had a y-dna test with Ancestry some years ago, it turns out. I sent him my first 12 markers (in FTDNA order), identified by each marker name, and asked him to compare the results to see if we match. It turns out we differ at several places, although he does appear to be R1b. If he is right about his y-dna descent from Evan Stephens, then I am not a y-dna descendant of Evan Stephens. However, he was a bit hesitant and equivocal in his initial response to my query, qualifying his answer to my question about whether or not he is a direct y-dna descendant of Evan Stephens with a somewhat tentative, "If all my research is correct".

The lady who responded to my query seemed more certain, identifying Evan Stephens as her fifth great grandfather. I would still like to get a 12-marker y-dna test from one of her brothers, just to be sure.

I like to think that I am able to see things as they are, not how I want them to be, so I am thinking this is probably a dead end for me, but I will still pay for a 12-marker test for one of that lady's four brothers, if she ever emails me back and accepts the offer.

rms2
08-09-2014, 12:35 PM
I just heard late last night from a woman who is a Stephens and a direct descendant of Evan Stephens. She gave me the name of an elderly male second cousin who might be interested in testing, so I sent him an email. We'll see. The man I mentioned above whose first 12 markers don't match mine said he is only about 90% sure that he is descended from Evan. He doesn't really have a solid paper trail to him but can solidly trace his own pedigree to a Benjamin Stephens. There was a Benjamin Stephens who was a son of Evan Stephens. That leaves a fairly big window of doubt, so I will keep trying for now. It may be a dead end, but it's worth a try.

rms2
08-12-2014, 02:44 PM
I just heard late last night from a woman who is a Stephens and a direct descendant of Evan Stephens. She gave me the name of an elderly male second cousin who might be interested in testing, so I sent him an email. We'll see . . .

Hey! Good news for me (I hope)!

I heard from the elderly y-dna descendant of Evan Stephens, and he has agreed to submit to a y-dna test.

I will pay for it once FTDNA gets his sample.

Too bad FTDNA's system is down right now. I want to get the order in right away.

If the man I mentioned earlier who does not match me at 12 markers is right in his genealogical research, then this elderly gentleman will not match me but will match him. Obviously, I would prefer that he match me, but either way I am performing a service and either confirming an ancestry or eliminating it for one of us.

rms2
08-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Okay, I ordered a 12-marker test for Mr. Stephens and paid for the postage both ways up front, so all he has to do is collect the samples, seal them in the envelope, and drop the envelope in a mail box. Man, I hope he matches me! I don't like disappointment, especially when I pay money for it.

Either way, once his results come in, I'll know more than I do now.

I had to actually telephone FTDNA to order a 12-marker test. I could not see a way to do it from my GAP. I asked the FTDNA rep how to do it, and she said you have to call to order a 12-marker test now.

TŠltos
08-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Okay, I ordered a 12-marker test for Mr. Stephens and paid for the postage both ways up front, so all he has to do is collect the samples, seal them in the envelope, and drop the envelope in a mail box. Man, I hope he matches me! I don't like disappointment, especially when I pay money for it.

Either way, once his results come in, I'll know more than I do now.

I had to actually telephone FTDNA to order a 12-marker test. I could not see a way to do it from my GAP. I asked the FTDNA rep how to do it, and she said you have to call to order a 12-marker test now.
It looks like you are getting what you want sooner than you think. ;) Now, fingers still crossed that he does indeed match you!

rms2
08-13-2014, 02:41 PM
I will update this thread when the result comes in. I fear the worst, since, as I mentioned back in post #21 above, there is a man who claims descent from Evan Stephens who does not match me at 12 markers. He is not 100% sure of the claim, but if he is right about it, he should match the man I have recruited for testing, and I won't. We'll see. I just want the truth, but I hope the truth makes things easy this time (it seldom does), and I get an exact match.

rms2
08-17-2014, 12:35 AM
I know I have probably bored everyone to tears already with my updates, but here is one more: Mr. Stephens got the kit, did the test, and mailed it back to FTDNA today. Now we wait.

rms2
08-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Interestingly, I got a new exact 12-marker match yesterday with a man with my surname. I still get excited about exact 12-marker matches - if the match has my surname. Last night I emailed the woman in charge of the kit. Hopefully, I will hear from her soon. I'm thinking these are just the first 12 markers in a more extensive test they have on order, probably at least 37 markers. We'll see!

TŠltos
08-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Interestingly, I got a new exact 12-marker match yesterday with a man with my surname. I still get excited about exact 12-marker matches - if the match has my surname. Last night I emailed the woman in charge of the kit. Hopefully, I will hear from her soon. I'm thinking these are just the first 12 markers in a more extensive test they have on order, probably at least 37 markers. We'll see!
Wow, lucky you. I'd be doing cartwheels if my brother actually got at least one match with our surname! Over at 23andme you can search the database for surnames, and I found a man with our last name, but it looks like he also goes by a different last name too. I'm not sure if my surname is his original, or if it was his mother's. I sent an invite to share, unfortunately he did not match me at all, and his Y DNA is R1b. He never answered me back about if my last name was his original last name, or what. I guess I was just lucky he agreed to share.

rms2
08-17-2014, 08:56 PM
I think whoever my immigrant y-dna ancestor was, he was pretty prolific. Matches with folks with my surname or the variant Stephens seem to pop up fairly frequently. I had one awhile back who just never answered my emails. I just don't understand that. Why test if you're not looking for genealogical connections, i.e., relatives who might have useful information?

I have not yet heard from this most recent match, but it just popped up yesterday.

rms2
08-17-2014, 09:48 PM
I think whoever my immigrant y-dna ancestor was, he was pretty prolific. Matches with folks with my surname or the variant Stephens seem to pop up fairly frequently. I had one awhile back who just never answered my emails. I just don't understand that. Why test if you're not looking for genealogical connections, i.e., relatives who might have useful information?

I have not yet heard from this most recent match, but it just popped up yesterday.

Hey! I just heard from the woman who manages my new match's kit. He has a 67-marker test on order. Those 12 markers are just the first installment. I hope the match holds up.

She does not know much about his ancestry yet, but she is in touch with someone who does and will fill me in when she gets more information.

Fun stuff! :beerchug:

rms2
08-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Regarding the y-dna descendant of Welsh immigrant Evan Stephens whom I recruited for testing: FTDNA received his kit today. Now we wait. :wacko:

jdean
08-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Wow that was quick !!

We're waiting for a kit to turn up for a Sted from your neck of the woods that I've high hopes will match myself, probably shouldn't have said anything for fear of jinxing it but I've been trying to track down somebody from this fellow's line for the last 6 years now !!!

Gray Fox
08-21-2014, 12:48 AM
Always glad to see someone make the leap across the pond. Hope this works out for you!

rms2
08-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Wow that was quick !!

We're waiting for a kit to turn up for a Sted from your neck of the woods that I've high hopes will match myself, probably shouldn't have said anything for fear of jinxing it but I've been trying to track down somebody from this fellow's line for the last 6 years now !!!

I wish you luck. I was blessed in that this man (who is 80 years old) turned out to be a really nice person. He said he would watch for the kit, complete the test, and get it back in the mail to FTDNA as soon as he got it. He definitely kept his word.

jdean
08-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Cheers Rich, fingers crossed in a few weeks you'll be celebrating a leap forward in finding out where your ancestors came from in the Isles and I'll have a new clue to ponder in my quest to understand how my relatives arrived in America : )

rms2
08-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Cheers Rich, fingers crossed in a few weeks you'll be celebrating a leap forward in finding out where your ancestors came from in the Isles and I'll have a new clue to ponder in my quest to understand how my relatives arrived in America : )

The only downside is he did not make it into this week's lab batch. I waited to pay until I saw that FTDNA had received his kit, and apparently that was too late in the afternoon on Wednesday.

rms2
08-27-2014, 11:43 PM
The only downside is he did not make it into this week's lab batch. I waited to pay until I saw that FTDNA had received his kit, and apparently that was too late in the afternoon on Wednesday.

His samples went to FTDNA's lab today. The predicted due date is 25 Sep 2014. That's not long to wait really. I hope the results are in by then.

jdean
08-28-2014, 03:06 PM
His samples went to FTDNA's lab today. The predicted due date is 25 Sep 2014. That's not long to wait really. I hope the results are in by then.

Pob lwc Rich !!!

rms2
08-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Pob lwc Rich !!!

Now I know how to pronounce that! Pob lwc! (http://www.forvo.com/word/pob_lwc/) :beerchug:

rms2
08-31-2014, 11:57 AM
I know I am letting my hopes get up for a match with the descendant of Evan Stephens I have recruited.

I found something interesting in the book, Biographical and historical cyclopedia of Delaware County, Pennsylvania : comprising a historical sketch of the county.

Radnor township is named for Radnorshire, Wales, of which its early settlers were natives. In 1722 the taxables of the township were: David Harry, Thomas Lewis, Richard Armes, David Pugh, Sarah Abraham, John Morgan, Richard Richards, John Jerman, Joseph Williams, Hugh Wilson, John Samuel*, Edward George, Evan Stephens*, Gabriel Davis, Hugh, John, and Jenkin David, Arthur, David, John, Edward, Evan and Joseph Jones, David and Howell Powell, William, John, Thomas and David Thoms, Owen, Caleb, Evan and David Evans.

http://tinyurl.com/pzu78qo

*Note the reference to John Samuel and Evan Stephens. I have a 105/111 y-dna STR match with David Samuel, who is able to trace his mdka to Wales. It is possible that John Samuel and Evan Stephens were related on the y-dna line, given the Welsh patronymic naming system. Of course, the fact that a Samuel and a Stephens appear together in this tax list from Radnor township might just be a coincidence, but I take it as a hopeful sign. :)

jdean
08-31-2014, 01:34 PM
I love Google Books, pity so many of them have restricted access outside of the US

razyn
09-03-2014, 12:21 AM
I know I am letting my hopes get up for a match with the descendant of Evan Stephens I have recruited.

I found something interesting in the book, Biographical and historical cyclopedia of Delaware County, Pennsylvania : comprising a historical sketch of the county.

If you liked that one, try George Smith, History of Delaware County, PA, 1862 -- and read the Archives.org version, free. It also contains that 1722 tax list. I think the large folding map showing the boundaries of original settlers (tipped in, as published) is missing from the PDF version -- but I'm pretty sure there is such a map; it's listed either as "facing title page" or "end of book." Anyway, if these Welsh guys had Penn/Logan grants you could see if they lived next door to one another, etc.

I'm fairly sure I have that book, with its maps, in a box somewhere. I worked on Delaware Valley Swedes & Finns, about 25-30 years ago, and acquired many such volumes.

rms2
09-04-2014, 01:05 AM
Thanks. I'll look for that map.

I'm really hoping for a match and that Evan Stephens turns out to be the man, but time will tell.

rms2
09-05-2014, 11:11 PM

This 12-marker match just went to 63/67 today. As I mentioned above, the man has my surname. I'm hoping now he'll go to 111 markers.

We differ at CDY, where he has 38-40 and I have 38-38 (probably a RecLoH, so that's really just a one-step jump); at 442, where he has 13 and I have 12; and at 557, where he has 16 and I have 17.

This is not the paper trail descendant of Evan Stephens whose 12-marker test I am anxiously awaiting. I don't yet know who this man's mdka is.

It's fun to bag another 67-marker match with my surname! :beerchug:

rms2
09-06-2014, 02:00 PM
I just heard this morning from the lady who manages the kit of my newest 67-marker Stevens match. It turns out his mdka was born in Fayette Co., PA, in 1801. That is BIG, because the mdka of one of my closest 111-marker matches was born in Fayette Co., in 1787, and that is where several of the sons of the Welsh immigrant Evan Stephens settled in the 1700s.

TŠltos
09-06-2014, 02:10 PM
I just heard this morning from the lady who manages the kit of my newest 67-marker Stevens match. It turns out his mdka was born in Fayette Co., PA, in 1802. That is BIG, because the mdka one of my closest 111-marker matches was born in Fayette Co., in 1787, and that is where several of the sons of the Welsh immigrant Evan Stephens settled in the 1700s.
VG!=Very good :D

rms2
09-07-2014, 01:18 AM
I almost forgot that I started this thread originally to talk about making a Google map of one's closest in-surname matches.

I have updated my Google map to include this latest 67-marker match:

My Matches (http://goo.gl/maps/BgfGC)

dp
09-09-2014, 10:01 PM
I almost forgot that I started this thread originally to talk about making a Google map of one's closest in-surname matches.

I have updated my Google map to include this latest 67-marker match:

My Matches (http://goo.gl/maps/BgfGC)
Rich,
Good job. I like the interactivity. I think three of your matches are all confirmed DF41+. How long till you know if you match the Evan Stephens' descendant?
dp :-)
PS: my nearest Powell kit isn't interested in further testing. I guess I'm going to have to start bothering other STR matches to get the recent genetic connections. At least the SNP connections have been progressing steadily :-)

rms2
09-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Rich,
Good job. I like the interactivity. I think three of your matches are all confirmed DF41+. How long till you know if you match the Evan Stephens' descendant?
PS: my nearest Powell kit isn't interested in further testing. I guess I'm going to have to start bothering other STR matches to get the recent genetic connections. At least the SNP connections have been progressing steadily :-)

Thanks. His 12-marker result is due 25 September.

Have you offered to pay for the upgrade of your nearest Powell match?

dp
09-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Dear Rich,
yeh, just backtracked further to your Aug 20th post. Hope all goes well.
I didn't offer to pay per se, I just asked if the guy was interested in doing any further testing. It's not his DNA, which may be part of the source of hesitation. I guess he thought the guy and he were related and found out they weren't. IE, I don't match him, I match the other guy. It's the only Powell kit I match, not a good showing for a map like yours. Grin.
PS: that's one reason I've been working on autosomal so much. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting on SNP tests. :-)

rms2
09-20-2014, 02:48 AM
Dear Rich,
yeh, just backtracked further to your Aug 20th post. Hope all goes well.
I didn't offer to pay per se, I just asked if the guy was interested in doing any further testing. It's not his DNA, which may be part of the source of hesitation. I guess he thought the guy and he were related and found out they weren't. IE, I don't match him, I match the other guy. It's the only Powell kit I match, not a good showing for a map like yours. Grin.
PS: that's one reason I've been working on autosomal so much. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting on SNP tests. :-)

I didn't accumulate all the Stevens/Stephens matches on that map in one day or even a single year. I have been at this y-dna stuff since my first 37-marker results came back in May of 2006. If I were you, I would see if I could pay for an upgrade for your Powell match. Maybe that other guy will put you in touch with the source or will authorize it himself.

BTW, the lady in charge of my most recent 67-marker Stevens match just ordered an upgrade to 111 markers for him.

dp
09-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Dear Rich,
Great news! I saw your post on the Celtic book thread but this one must be newer. Hope he matches you.

rms2
09-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Dear Rich,
Great news! I saw your post on the Celtic book thread but this one must be newer. Hope he matches you.

The man who is upgrading to 111 markers already matches me 63/67, has my surname and an mdka who was born in Fayette County, PA. Unfortunately, he doesn't get us across the Pond the way that 12-marker guy could.

rms2
09-26-2014, 11:49 AM
. . . His 12-marker result is due 25 September.

. . .

Not that anyone except me is following this thread with rapt anticipation, but no result yet for the paper trail descendant of the Welsh immigrant Evan Stephens.

Still waiting.

I want the truth, but I know I'll be bummed if he doesn't match me. Ah, well.

rms2
09-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Not that anyone except me is following this thread with rapt anticipation, but no result yet for the paper trail descendant of the Welsh immigrant Evan Stephens.

Still waiting.

I want the truth, but I know I'll be bummed if he doesn't match me. Ah, well.

I emailed FTDNA and was told that the result has been "delayed slightly due to lab volume" and should come in about 3-4 weeks. Groan!

I hate waiting!

jdean
09-27-2014, 06:13 PM
You and me both : )

rms2
09-27-2014, 11:11 PM
It figures there is a delay with what could potentially be the most important y-dna result of my life, outside my own. :doh:

rms2
10-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Well, bad news for me. The paper trail descendant of Welsh immigrant Evan Stephens I recruited for y-dna testing got his 12-marker results today. Not only do we not match, but he appears to belong to y haplogroup I-M253.

Now, I had hoped that if he did not match me, he would at least match the other guy I mentioned earlier in this thread who also claims descent from Evan Stephens, but they don't match either. So, there are two different claimants to descent from Evan Stephens, and they do not match and do not even belong to the same y haplogroup.

The guy I recruited is kit 361914. Here is his 12-marker haplotype:

13 22 13 10 12-15 11 14 12 12 11 28

Here is the other claimant's 12-marker haplotype (via Ancestry.com):

13 24 14 10 11-14 12 12 12 13 13 29

So, which of them actually is a descendant of Evan Stephens? Or perhaps neither of them is?

Anyway, there it is, and I am still brickwalled in North America along with my cadre of Stevens/Stephens matches.

jdean
10-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Really sorry to hear that Rich !!!

rms2
10-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Really sorry to hear that Rich !!!

It would have been nice had he matched us, but c'est la vie.

The truth is best anyway.

rms2
10-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Well, I have a couple of genetic genealogy buns in the oven to look forward to, just the same. I'm awaiting my result for the new SNP BY166, and I fully expect to be positive for that one, since it was discovered via the Big Y results of two members of my cluster, one of whom matches me 105/111.

And there is a 111-marker upgrade in the works for a Stevens who matches me 63/67.

So, things are not totally gloomy on the y-dna front. B)

jdean
10-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Well, I have a couple of genetic genealogy buns in the oven to look forward to, just the same. I'm awaiting my result for the new SNP BY166, and I fully expect to be positive for that one, since it was discovered via the Big Y results of two members of my cluster, one of whom matches me 105/111.

And there is a 111-marker upgrade in the works for a Stevens who matches me 63/67.

So, things are not totally gloomy on the y-dna front. B)

Onward and upward Rich : )

Kopfjšger
10-08-2014, 11:23 PM
It's alright, Rich. My Downing line is brick-walled in North Carolina in the late 1700s, and I'm starting to think my folks came from Avalon.

rms2
10-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Well, I am accumulating matches whose mdkas come from Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and there were a lot of Welsh Quakers in Pennsylvania and a lot of Welsh in Fayette County. The puzzle pieces are slowly being fitted into place.

Who knows? Maybe neither of the two rival claimants to descent from Evan Stephens is right. After all, they don't match each other, even at 12 markers, and they don't even belong to the same y haplogroup.

Kopfjšger
10-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Well, I am accumulating matches whose mdkas come from Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and there were a lot of Welsh Quakers in Pennsylvania and a lot of Welsh in Fayette County. The puzzle pieces are slowly being fitted into place.

Who knows? Maybe neither of the two rival claimants to descent from Evan Stephens is right. After all, they don't match each other, even at 12 markers, and they don't even belong to the same y haplogroup.

You're lucky to have some pretty close matches with definite connections to the ancestral homeland too. Didn't you determine - based on these matches - which area of England/Wales your folks originated?

rms2
10-09-2014, 12:07 AM
You're lucky to have some pretty close matches with definite connections to the ancestral homeland too. Didn't you determine - based on these matches - which area of England/Wales your folks originated?

Yeah. I have a 65/67 match with a Beddoes born in Worcester, England (he now lives in Canada and is elderly, if still alive), but whose family has always lived near the Welsh border in Shropshire, and a 36/37 match with his cousin (another Beddoes), also born in England. I have a 105/111 match with a Samuel (also a Canadian) with a solid paper to Llanafan-fawr, Wales (and living relatives in Wales). Beddoes and Samuel are both Welsh surnames.

So, I think Wales is a pretty fair bet for me.

rms2
10-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Well, I got the bad news of the non-match yesterday, and this morning I got the good news that I am BY166+. B)

rms2
10-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Well, I got the bad news of the non-match yesterday, and this morning I got the good news that I am BY166+. B)

Now the main excitement for me on the dna front is awaiting the 111-marker upgrade of my most recent Stevens 63/67 match. His mdka was born in 1802 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. I think he'll hang close. I'm hoping the upgrade doesn't add any more units of genetic distance.

I'm hoping to order the Big Y myself sometime in the relatively near future.

rms2
10-23-2014, 01:19 AM

Now one of my two closest matches (107/111), who spells our surname Stephens rather than Stevens, has ordered BY166. Of course, I expect him to be BY166+. He is an even closer match (108/111) for Samuel, kit N104746. Samuel matches me 105/111. It was Samuel's Big Y results, along with those of Self, kit 53479, that led to the discovery of BY166.

I think the Welsh patronymic naming system accounts for the very close y-dna matches among men of different surnames in our cases: Stevens/Stephens, Samuel, and Beddoes (who matches Samuel and me 65/67 and Stephens 64/67).

vettor
10-24-2014, 08:49 PM
for english speaking nations....search site for surnames

http://www.findmypast.com.au/?gclid=CKWo0MOTxsECFUqWvQodoWQANQ

rms2
10-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Here are the maps for the two main variants of my surname (Stevens) from the site World Family Names Public Profiler (http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/Main.aspx). One of my closest matches (107/111) spells the name Stephens, and I think that is very likely the original spelling in our case. The two spellings were used interchangeably in North America.

2802 2803

rms2
10-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Here are the British Isles close-ups for the two main variants of my surname.

2814 2815

I suspect my surname was originally spelled Stephens, with a ph, but was changed to Stevens here in North America, where both spellings were applied to the same people, depending on who was writing the name down.

My reasons for suspecting that are 1) one of my closest matches spells his surname Stephens, and 2) the Stephens spelling is more common in Wales, and my matches seem to point to Wales. I have read the Stevens spelling is most common in Cornwall, but thus far I don't have any matches from there.

dp
10-31-2014, 03:13 PM
for english speaking nations....search site for surnames

http://www.findmypast.com.au/?gclid=CKWo0MOTxsECFUqWvQodoWQANQ

Vettor,
Thanks for the link. It expect it will lead the many genealogical discussions.

rms2
11-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Now the main excitement for me on the dna front is awaiting the 111-marker upgrade of my most recent Stevens 63/67 match. His mdka was born in 1802 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. I think he'll hang close. I'm hoping the upgrade doesn't add any more units of genetic distance.

I'm hoping to order the Big Y myself sometime in the relatively near future.

Well, that 111-marker upgrade was due 30 October 2014, and it has not come in yet, not even one of the panels.

Waiting is probably the worst aspect of genetic genealogy (that, the cost, people who test but don't really give a damn, and people who never test). When you wait and wait and then the results are late, that is really a pain.

Aarrgghh! :frusty:

rms2
11-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Well, that 111-marker upgrade was due 30 October 2014, and it has not come in yet, not even one of the panels.

Waiting is probably the worst aspect of genetic genealogy (that, the cost, people who test but don't really give a damn, and people who never test). When you wait and wait and then the results are late, that is really a pain.

Aarrgghh! :frusty:

Well, one of the panels has come in at last: what FTDNA calls MP10, markers 76 through 85. No new differences there. So far, so good. B)

rms2
11-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Well, one of the panels has come in at last: what FTDNA calls MP10, markers 76 through 85. No new differences there. So far, so good. B)

A second panel has come in: MP9, markers 68-75. No new differences there either. Hope that pattern carries on through the rest of the markers. B)

rms2
11-19-2014, 08:49 AM
The last of the 111-marker upgrade is in: we are a 106/111 match. That makes this Stevens my second closest match at 111 markers, after a Stephens and another Stevens who tie in matching me 107/111.

This makes the second Stevens with an mdka in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. The Stevens who matches me 107/111 also traces his mdka to Fayette County. Fayette County is in western PA and is not far from Wheeling, West Virginia, where my mdka was born in 1804.

Gray Fox
11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Good to see things working out for you. I had it relatively easy when I got into this hobby turned obsession. The paper trail was well established back to the 1600's. Though that was the only thing that was established. I've spent five years researching almost exclusively my y-line. If it wasn't for DNA we'd still be in the dark.

My DNA cousins daughter is currently in Devon trying to track down some of remaining family. Hopefully something new turns up. Though I'm certainly not complaining about things being slow. I honestly at one point thought I might go to the grave not knowing where my family were before they settled in Virginia. Never lose faith! That's the most important thing this hobby has helped to drive home.

rms2
12-17-2014, 12:16 PM
I picked up a new 63/67 match this morning who spells our surname with a ph (Stephens). That is my second match with that spelling variant. The other is one of my two closest matches (107/111). My two Stephens matches match each other 66/67.

I don't know much about this new match, just that his y-dna mdka is Lewis Stephens, b. 07 Aug 1814. I don't see a birthplace listed, and it doesn't show up on my FTDNA matches map.

I emailed the person responsible for this kit. Hopefully I will hear from him or her. My new match is not yet in the Stephens/Stevens Y-DNA Project either.

jdean
12-17-2014, 12:49 PM
I picked up a new 63/67 match this morning who spells our surname with a ph (Stephens). That is my second match with that spelling variant. The other is one of my two closest matches (107/111). My two Stephens matches match each other 66/67.

I don't know much about this new match, just that his y-dna mdka is Lewis Stephens, b. 07 Aug 1814. I don't see a birthplace listed, and it doesn't show up on my FTDNA matches map.

I emailed the person responsible for this kit. Hopefully I will hear from him or her. My new match is not yet in the Stephens/Stevens Y-DNA Project either.

Fingers crossed this is the missing link you've been waiting for Rich !!

Got the 2nd & 3rd panel in last night for the WV Sted I mentioned months ago !!

Still have the 1st to go but we now have pretty solid proof that the gunsmithing Steds of Harpers Ferry were indeed part of the growing Shropshire Stedman clan : )

rms2
12-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Fingers crossed this is the missing link you've been waiting for Rich !!

Got the 2nd & 3rd panel in last night for the WV Sted I mentioned months ago !!

Still have the 1st to go but we now have pretty solid proof that the gunsmithing Steds of Harpers Ferry were indeed part of the growing Shropshire Stedman clan : )

Harpers Ferry is a beautiful little town, where the Shenandoah flows into the Potomac. Lots of people kayak in that area.

Anyway, I think this new Stephens match is probably brickwalled in North America like the rest of us, but we'll see.

rms2
12-18-2014, 12:48 AM
One of my two 107/111 matches, Stephens, kit 208061, got his BY166+ result this morning.

rms2
12-23-2014, 02:50 PM

I still have not heard from this person. I wonder why someone would spend the money for a 67-marker test and then not respond when potential relatives contact him or her.

Shikaka!

http://youtu.be/i5ZK6Ne_WCw

rms2
12-31-2014, 01:53 PM
I still have not heard from this person. I wonder why someone would spend the money for a 67-marker test and then not respond when potential relatives contact him or her.

Shikaka!

http://youtu.be/i5ZK6Ne_WCw

Still no reply from this new 63/67 match. Sigh . . .

rms2
01-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Hooray!

I finally heard from the lady who manages the kit for my new 63/67 match today. She is the cousin of the test subject. She had not contacted me until today because she was sick.

Apparently their most distant y-dna ancestor, Lewis Stephens, was born in Kentucky on 07 Aug 1814. I did not know the Kentucky part until today. I have asked her if she knows what town he was born in.

B)

Gray Fox
01-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Hooray!

I finally heard from the lady who manages the kit for my new 63/67 match today. She is the cousin of the test subject. She had not contacted me until today because she was sick.

Apparently their most distant y-dna ancestor, Lewis Stephens, was born in Kentucky on 07 Aug 1814. I did not know the Kentucky part until today. I have asked her if she knows what town he was born in.

B)

Its a good place to be B)

rms2
01-04-2015, 03:59 AM
Thanks! I have heard from her since in two more emails. She seems enthusiastic and actually excited by the match, and here I thought I would never even hear from her.

My mdka's brothers married two sisters who were born in Kentucky, so maybe Kentucky was a stopping point along the way to Bastrop, Louisiana, where my mdka ended up. His brothers wound up in nearby Monroe. Down the Ohio River to the Mississippi seems to have been the route.

rms2
01-04-2015, 01:23 PM
I heard back yet again from the lady who manages my new match's kit. She doesn't know where in Kentucky her mdka was born. He shows up in the 1840 and subsequent censuses in East Baton Rouge, Louisiana, but in every census his birthplace is given as Kentucky. In the 1840 census his surname is spelled Stephens, but from 1850 on it is spelled Stevens, which is just one more example of how the two spellings were used interchangeably in this country.

It is interesting that this man Lewis Stephens and his brother William ended up in East Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and my mdka Auguston settled in Bastrop, Morehouse Parish, Louisiana. My mdka's two brothers, Christian and James, settled in nearby Monroe, Ouachita Parish, Louisiana. As I mentioned above, Christian and James married two sisters named McGuire (yes - the McGuire sisters) who were both born in Kentucky.

Gray Fox
01-05-2015, 12:13 AM
I heard back yet again from the lady who manages my new match's kit. She doesn't know where in Kentucky her mdka was born. He shows up in the 1840 and subsequent censuses in East Baton Rouge, Louisiana, but in every census his birthplace is given as Kentucky. In the 1840 census his surname is spelled Stephens, but from 1850 on it is spelled Stevens, which is just one more example of how the two spellings were used interchangeably in this country.

It is interesting that this man Lewis Stephens and his brother William ended up in East Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and my mdka Auguston settled in Bastrop, Morehouse Parish, Louisiana. My mdka's two brothers, Christian and James, settled in nearby Monroe, Ouachita Parish, Louisiana. As I mentioned above, Christian and James married two sisters named McGuire (yes - the McGuire sisters) who were both born in Kentucky.

I'm sure you've already considered this, but what area were the sisters born in? Her Stephens couldn't have been far.

rms2
01-05-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm sure you've already considered this, but what area were the sisters born in? Her Stephens couldn't have been far.

I don't know. I only know they were born in Kentucky from the census entries for them.

Gray Fox
01-05-2015, 10:01 AM
I don't know. I only know they were born in Kentucky from the census entries for them.

Hmmm.. The only Kentucky Stephens I have found thus far that also feature the given name Lewis, are from Pendleton County.

Something to consider..

http://genealogytrails.com/ken/pendleton/stephensfamily.html

rms2
01-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Doesn't appear to be the same people, but thanks anyway.

rms2
04-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Here's an update I mentioned elsewhere at Anthrogenica but I think is appropriate for this thread:

I have ordered the Big Y test.

I am in Batch 616, with the predicted results due 05/27/2015 - 06/10/2015.

Big Y has the potential to be an even more effective genealogical tool than STR matching, but combined with STR matching it should be especially powerful. The real problem right now is that it costs just too damned much. It's hard to convince genetic genealogy dabblers and fence straddlers that they should part with $575 for something that may or may not tell them something important about their genealogical pedigree.

Until the price comes down to around $100, Big Y will be of limited genealogical value. Yes, I do think the price needs to go that low in order to attract a sufficient pool of participants so that meaningful matches become more likely. We're going to need lots of Old World participation, too, and the lack of it has always been a problem.

rms2
04-25-2015, 06:32 PM
I mentioned this over on another thread in the DF41 subforum, but, anyway, I just picked up a new 35/37 haplotype neighbor with the decidedly Welsh patronymic surname Jones. His 3rd great grandfather was born in Wales. Evidently a census record says he was born in "Cardien", Wales, but I cannot find a town in Wales with that name. Probably Cardigan or maybe Cardiff was meant, but the census worker did not quite understand it or know to spell it or was not used to the Welsh accent it was spoken with.

Evidently this Mr. Jones is in my haplotype cluster. He has joined the R1b-41-1123 Project and has ordered our current "terminal" SNP, BY166. He seems really interested and enthusiastic and says he will upgrade to more markers.

I take this match as one more piece of evidence that my immigrant y-dna ancestor probably came from Wales.

rms2
06-23-2015, 12:09 PM
We picked up another Jones match this morning. This one matches me exactly at 25 markers but then disappears from the FTDNA radar at 37 markers (that's all he has thus far). He apparently is not a close relative of the other Jones in our cluster either, since he is closer to me than to him. This new Jones is a 33/37 match for at least one of the Phillipses in our cluster, however.

Anyway, I think he is in our haplotype cluster, so I emailed him about it and about testing for BY166.

rms2
07-09-2015, 01:25 PM
I just got back from a wonderful trip to Wales. We stayed in a bed and breakfast in Llanwrtyd Wells (pronounced Clan-oo-tid) in Powys, right in the heart of all the surnames in my haplotype cluster. On Saturday, 04 July, we were at the excellent carnival in Llandrindod Wells, where the ale and hard cider were positively flowing and a good time was had by all. I was talking to a couple of people, and when I mentioned my surname, they lit up. "Stevens [or Stephens]! We know some Stevens! In fact, one of them is right around here somewhere!" The woman then went and found the man they were talking about and brought him back to meet me. I sat and talked with him awhile, and we exchanged email addresses and phone numbers. Now I am trying to convince him to do a y-dna test. It's too bad I did not have a dna test kit with me at the time. He probably would have done the test right then and there.

dp
07-09-2015, 04:33 PM
A friend went to Ireland, to the village of her forebears. She remarked at the similarity in resemblance between the natives and her own family.
Maybe he'll order a kit.
Yours,
dp

rms2
07-09-2015, 05:07 PM
A friend went to Ireland, to the village of her forebears. She remarked at the similarity in resemblance between the natives and her own family.
Maybe he'll order a kit.
Yours,
dp

I saw some similarities between the locals in Powys, Wales and myself. The man I met with a variant of my surname (he spells it with a ph) looked enough like me to be a relative. I hope he is.

rms2
07-12-2015, 12:44 PM
The man I mentioned a couple of posts back with the Stephens surname has not yet responded to my email. I have his phone number, so I will try to give him a call today to ask him to submit to a y-dna test (which the Stephens/Stevens Project will sponsor). I'm not a good phone talker, so this is not my preferred method of communication, but apparently it's the only way. I'm not sure he'll be interested, but I've got to try.

rms2
07-15-2015, 10:39 PM
Woo-hoo! I finally heard from the Stephens gentleman I met in Llandrindod Wells, Powys, Wales on 04 July. He said he will do a y-dna test if I send him the kit and the instructions! Awesome! I don't know that he will match any of us, but I sure hope he does. He's from the right area and has the right surname. We'll see!

rms2
07-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Woo-hoo! I finally heard from the Stephens gentleman I met in Llandrindod Wells, Powys, Wales on 04 July. He said he will do a y-dna test if I send him the kit and the instructions! Awesome! I don't know that he will match any of us, but I sure hope he does. He's from the right area and has the right surname. We'll see!

I got word from Fed Ex yesterday that our Welsh recruit received his FTDNA kit. Pretty fast!

Apparently we got "FedEx International Priority". It was costly enough. $60 for the 12-marker test plus $38.95 for the shipping both ways. I hope he takes it seriously, completes the test and sends the kit back ASAP.

rms2
07-23-2015, 12:09 AM
I got an email today from my Welsh recruit, David Stephens. He completed the test kit and dropped it in the mail today via Fed Ex. Now we wait!

rms2
07-23-2015, 12:31 AM
I thought I would post a table of my closest y-dna matches from 37 markers on up. None of the entries is a duplicate; all represent separate, unique individuals. I did not include known family members, i.e., my father, my two sons, and my second cousin Mark. Except where noted, the entries in red have only tested to 37 markers, those in yellow to 67 markers, and those in blue have gone all the way to 111 markers.

Note that several Stevens trace their ancestry to Fayette County, Pennsylvania. That is the place a number of the sons of the Welsh immigrant Evan Stephens settled. One of my Stephens matches has a mdka from Kentucky, and a couple of Evan Stephens' many sons went there, as well. I cannot prove he is my ancestor, but these facts are worth mentioning.

Of my close matches who can trace their mdkas to the Old Country, two trace them to Wales and the other two to Shropshire right on the Welsh border, which was part of the old Welsh kingdom of Powys, and those two have the same Welsh surname, Beddoes.

astondive
07-23-2015, 06:07 AM
Interesting article in the Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3000998/Are-Welsh-truest-Brits-English-genomes-contain-German-French-DNA-Romans-left-no-trace.html

rms2
07-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Interesting article in the Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3000998/Are-Welsh-truest-Brits-English-genomes-contain-German-French-DNA-Romans-left-no-trace.html

Interesting article, but there is some goofy and misleading stuff in it, like the bit in the box under the heading, "Exposed, the Celtic Myth". Of course, there are differences in autosomal dna from one region to the next, but they missed the huge Celtic y-dna elephant in the room, R1b-P312, and in the Isles much of that elephant is R1b-L21 (S145).

Jessie
07-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Interesting article, but there is some goofy and misleading stuff in it, like the bit in the box under the heading, "Exposed, the Celtic Myth". Of course, there are differences in autosomal dna from one region to the next, but they missed the huge Celtic y-dna elephant in the room, R1b-P312, and in the Isles much of that elephant is R1b-L21 (S145).

Also these differences are minute and all these populations cluster very closely together. It is also not surprising that the finescale method they used would find some differences as the Celtic populations were the most separated from each other due to geography so logically they would show the most differences whereas the Anglo-Saxon population are all located along the south east.

rms2
07-24-2015, 08:32 PM
I got an email today from my Welsh recruit, David Stephens. He completed the test kit and dropped it in the mail today via Fed Ex. Now we wait!

That was only two days ago in Wales across the Atlantic Ocean, but today I received an email from FTDNA saying they received David Stephens' test kit. That was fast!

dp
07-24-2015, 08:47 PM
How's your foot?

rms2
07-24-2015, 08:49 PM
How's your foot?

Somewhat better. I went back to the doctor yesterday and spent another 45 minutes or so on an IV of antibiotics, then I went home and was sick all night and most of today. Feeling better now.

rms2
07-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Okay, things are pretty dull right now here at Anthrogenica, so I am going to post some stuff I find interesting but that probably few other people will. Here goes.

I was messing around with UMapper and created a European origins map for my own haplotype cluster/subclade. Here it is:

R1b-BY166/Z18021 (http://www.umapper.com/maps/view/id/323788/)

The pin in Melksham, Wiltshire, represents a member of the cluster who is not a close match to me at either 67 or 111 markers. The individuals represented by the other three pins are close matches of mine.

So far, so good. Perhaps you will recall that the Welsh immigrant to Pennsylvania Evan Stephens is supposed to have been born in Llanbister, Powys, Wales, in what was then Radnorshire. Here is a shot of a map of the driving distance (17.8 miles) from Llanafan-fawr, where Samuel's mdka was born, to Llanbister, where Evan Stephens was born.

The two villages are not far apart. I have driven that route, and I can tell you, even at a leisurely pace, it doesn't take long to go from one to the other.

Now here's a map of the driving distance from Llanbister to Cardeston in Shropshire, where the pin for the Beddoes' mdka is placed.

A little longer drive, but still not too far away (~40 miles by car).

Finally, here's a map of the drive from Llanafan-fawr to Cardeston, with the bold blue showing the quickest way, which goes through Llanbister.

Okay, I know the mdkas represented by the pins in my R1b-BY166 map and Evan Stephens (born about 1691) did not have cars, but the point of these little maps is to show the proximity of these ancestors to one another and establish a kind of general idea of their neck of the woods, so to speak, i.e., an ancestral homeland.

Jones' pin a ways off in Cardigan I think represents a move away from that home area. I could be wrong, but I think it's possible that the record Jones recently found which says his mdka was from Cardigan could mean simply that he sailed from Cardigan to North America rather than that his family was actually from Cardigan.

Anyway, David Stephens, the man I recruited for y-dna testing, is from Llandrindod Wells, about half way between Samuel's pin in Llanafan-fawr and Evan Stephens' birthplace in Llanbister, and David went to school in Llanbister. I know it's a long shot any way you slice it, but I'm hoping those facts improve the odds of a match.

rms2
07-30-2015, 01:35 AM
My Welsh recruit David Stephens' test is in Batch 633, predicted to be complete sometime between 09 September and 23 September 2015. Hopefully it will be ready sooner than that and my group of close matches and I will all soon be discussing his exact match to us and how we're going to pool our money to get him an upgrade to 111 markers! :amen:

Mac von Frankfurt
08-11-2015, 05:12 AM
I have some Stevens in my tree from Stevensville, Bradford County, Pennsylvania. I have not verified the line but have seen a few trees indicating they came from Salisbury, Wiltshire, England several generations before 1776.

rms2
08-12-2015, 12:54 AM
I have some Stevens in my tree from Stevensville, Bradford County, Pennsylvania. I have not verified the line but have seen a few trees indicating they came from Salisbury, Wiltshire, England several generations before 1776.

There is an active Stevens group in the Stephens/Stevens DNA Project at FTDNA whose mdka came from Wiltshire. They are all I-M223.

I spent several hours on the phone with the leader of that group last October because someone on Ancestry had connected the pedigree of one of the mdkas of a Stevens match of mine up to that group. Of course, it turned out to be an error, and another important lesson to beware of the pedigrees at Ancestry.com unless they are really well documented and supported by dna evidence.

rms2
08-31-2015, 10:51 PM
My Welsh recruit David Stephens' test is in Batch 633, predicted to be complete sometime between 09 September and 23 September 2015. Hopefully it will be ready sooner than that and my group of close matches and I will all soon be discussing his exact match to us and how we're going to pool our money to get him an upgrade to 111 markers! :amen:

Still waiting, and FTDNA changed the predicted due date for the results to 07 October - 21 October 2015. Aarrgghh!

Waiting seems to be what this hobby is all about.

nuadha
09-01-2015, 05:21 AM
Still waiting, and FTDNA changed the predicted due date for the results to 07 October - 21 October 2015. Aarrgghh!

I saw the preview of this comment and I knew how to finish the rest. Yes, so true!!!

Right now we are in a strange place with regards to our hobby and the hot topics in them. A few years ago we were happy to get small hints from new research and then we would go back to building lengthy arguments all the small pieces of available data, including from the nooks and crannies of this broad topic. But now we get answers that we can pretty much take at face value. After such revelations its hard to spend much time sorting through all the old stuff and piecing things together the way we did before. The relevance of the old stuff is reduced and its easier to just sit and wait for the direct answers.

After the Haak et al paper I've don't a lot less digging into old articles. Instead I do a lot more waiting. I guess if i want to be more active I have to find other types of questions which are far from being answered.

rms2
09-01-2015, 02:39 PM
I saw the preview of this comment and I knew how to finish the rest. Yes, so true!!!

Right now we are in a strange place with regards to our hobby and the hot topics in them. A few years ago we were happy to get small hints from new research and then we would go back to building lengthy arguments all the small pieces of available data, including from the nooks and crannies of this broad topic. But now we get answers that we can pretty much take at face value. After such revelations its hard to spend much time sorting through all the old stuff and piecing things together the way we did before. The relevance of the old stuff is reduced and its easier to just sit and wait for the direct answers.

After the Haak et al paper I've don't a lot less digging into old articles. Instead I do a lot more waiting. I guess if i want to be more active I have to find other types of questions which are far from being answered.

The difficult thing about ancient y-dna is the fact that our fate is in the hands of scientists, and they aren't necessarily going where we want them to go and testing the remains we want them to test. And they certainly aren't doing it fast enough!

On my own personal genetic genealogy front, however, lack of sufficient funds and the inability to find people who are sufficiently interested are the chief problems. Genealogical acumen and time to pursue the dusty paper trail are also in short supply.

I keep plodding away though.

dp
09-01-2015, 05:27 PM
I bought a cousin a Y-DNA kit to find out the whoknowswhat on a ggg-grandfather. I'm descended from that particular ancestor 2 ways, and his brother one additional way.
Another cousin is testing his Y-DNA, which will indicate the whatnots on another ggg-grandfather --who intermarried with the daughter of the brother above. This cousin should also match a gg-grandfather (who married a daughter of the ggg-grandfather, the first one). To top it off my ggg-grandfather (the second one) married the daughter of the ggg-grandfather (the first one) after his wife, her 1st cousin, died.
Man I got a tangled tree. The lines run like vines...
Sometime I'm hoping to save enough to buy my mom's 1st cousin to find out her paternal Yline stuff.
PS: I like uniparental DNA.

rms2
10-10-2015, 02:10 PM

Yet another delay. I got concerned and wrote FTDNA about it. They say it isn't about the sample; it's merely a backlog at the lab, and they're predicting the results should be in about 31 October. Hope so!

rms2
10-13-2015, 04:06 PM
Well my Welsh Stephens recruit got his 12-marker results. Unfortunately, we don't match nor even belong to the same y haplogroup. FTDNA gives him an I-M170, but most of his 40 pages of matches are I-M253, so I figure that is what he is, as well. Interestingly, he has NO Stephens/Stevens matches among all his 40 pages of exact 12-marker matches and very very few matches even with Welsh surnames. Many of his matches are Scandinavian, German, or English. I'm guessing his y-dna ancestry goes back to an English settler in Wales.

Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.

Update: Wait a minute. I do see one Stephens match for him the Stephens Project, with an mdka in North Carolina. I guess that individual does not have his 12-marker matches turned on, because he does not show up as a match among my recruit's 40 pages of matches (or I missed him in all that).

rms2
03-24-2016, 01:34 PM
I updated my y-dna matches table recently. Here it is.

Btw, the map of the BY166 group (FTDNA has since made it the BY160 group) I made at UMapper no longer shows up. Guess I should write them and find out why.

rms2
05-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Recently one of my close Stevens matches (but one who has tested only to 37 markers) hired a genealogist from Fayette County, Pennsylvania, the place to which he and a couple of my other Stevens matches trace their mdka's. She (the genealogist) is supposed to produce a report sometime this coming week. As a teaser, she told us our bunch came up from Maryland and were connected to the Murphy family from the same area, specifically to "Ann Murphy, well known Methodist in the area from around Ellicott [City], Maryland" (near Baltimore). Somehow we are all related to the brothers Samuel and Benjamin Stevens, who lived in Franklin Township in Fayette County, PA. Nancy Murphy was Samuel's wife, and apparently she is mentioned in Ann Murphy's will (Ann's daughter maybe?).

I don't know all the relationships yet or how these people connect up to my line, but I am looking forward to this report. Hope it's not wrong.

Btw, all these Stevenses are also regularly known as Stephens. The two spellings are used interchangeably, as in the following abstract of Samuel Stephens' will:

Will of Samuel Stephens, Fayette County, Pa.
Vol.1, page 124
Dated: No date Probated: September 25, 1797
Executors: wife Nancy and Jacob Murphy
Witness: John Murphy, William Cullum, Augustine (X) Stephens
Beneficiaries: daughter Priscilla, Augustine Stephens - son of
Augustine Stephens or his brother Jacob
Mentions "if my said daughter should die in her minority"

Source: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PAFAYETT/2002-02/1014596406

The genealogist says Jacob Murphy was Nancy's brother. I'm not sure how John Murphy was related to them.

rms2
05-28-2016, 01:05 AM
Recently one of my close Stevens matches (but one who has tested only to 37 markers) hired a genealogist from Fayette County, Pennsylvania, the place to which he and a couple of my other Stevens matches trace their mdka's. She (the genealogist) is supposed to produce a report sometime this coming week. As a teaser, she told us our bunch came up from Maryland and were connected to the Murphy family from the same area, specifically to "Ann Murphy, well known Methodist in the area from around Ellicott [City], Maryland" (near Baltimore). Somehow we are all related to the brothers Samuel and Benjamin Stevens, who lived in Franklin Township in Fayette County, PA. Nancy Murphy was Samuel's wife, and apparently she is mentioned in Ann Murphy's will (Ann's daughter maybe?).

I don't know all the relationships yet or how these people connect up to my line, but I am looking forward to this report. Hope it's not wrong.

Btw, all these Stevenses are also regularly known as Stephens. The two spellings are used interchangeably, as in the following abstract of Samuel Stephens' will:

Will of Samuel Stephens, Fayette County, Pa.
Vol.1, page 124
Dated: No date Probated: September 25, 1797
Executors: wife Nancy and Jacob Murphy
Witness: John Murphy, William Cullum, Augustine (X) Stephens
Beneficiaries: daughter Priscilla, Augustine Stephens - son of
Augustine Stephens or his brother Jacob
Mentions "if my said daughter should die in her minority"

Source: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PAFAYETT/2002-02/1014596406

The genealogist says Jacob Murphy was Nancy's brother. I'm not sure how John Murphy was related to them.

Got the report. Apparently Samuel, Benjamin, Charles, and Augustine Stevens were all brothers, along perhaps with another brother, Amos. They came up to Fayette County, Pennsylvania from Ellicott City, Maryland, and later spread to Wheeling, West Virginia (Virginia back then), Beaver County, Pennsylvania, and Columbiana County. Ohio. Some went on to Dearborn, Indiana, as well. The spellings Stevens and Stephens were used interchangeably of the same people. Spelling does not seem to have been an issue for these folks.

Looks like they were the sons of Augustus and Sophia (Young) Stevens, who were said to be of Welsh and English "extraction".

I think our genealogist is on the right track, especially given the repetition of the Christian names involved and our y-dna matches.

rms2
05-28-2016, 07:49 PM
Evidently all of these folks were big time Methodists, with several of the Stevens brothers serving as Methodist preachers in addition to their farming duties. Ann Murphy, who was apparently the mother of Nancy Murphy (the wife of Samuel Stevens) and Elizabeth Murphy (the wife of Benjamin Stevens), allowed the Methodists to use her home (she was the widow of William Murphy) as a meeting house and evangelization site.

rms2
06-17-2016, 12:00 AM
I picked up a new Stephens 64/67 match yesterday: kit B112267. Interesting that his most distant y-dna ancestor was born in 1799 in New Market, Maryland, not too far west of Ellicott City, and was named Samuel, same as one of the Stephens/Stevens brothers who went to Fayette County, Pennsylvania (mentioned a couple of posts back).

I've been blessed with quite a few Stephens/Stevens y-dna matches: five who spell the name with a v, and three who spell it with a ph, and that is not including the Stevens whom I can identify as belonging to my family (i.e., my sons, my dad, my second cousin Mark).

Here is the updated version of my map:

http://tinyurl.com/z28ppsp

dp
06-17-2016, 05:06 PM
Rich, you lucky dog. I still only have one Powell match.

rms2
06-17-2016, 10:31 PM
Rich, you lucky dog. I still only have one Powell match.

I feel pretty blessed about it, but I still keep hoping for that other-side-of-the-Pond Stevens/Stephens match, the one who invites the family and me to come stay in wherever-it-is, Wales. :)

rms2
06-26-2016, 12:03 PM
I renewed my Ancestry membership yesterday evening and sent a message to a Stevens man who is supposed to be a y-dna descendant of Amos Stevens/Stephens. His ancestor Amos was born 16 October 1778 in Ellicott's Mills (now Ellicott City), Maryland. I am trying to talk this man into a y-dna test with FTDNA. A match would help confirm the genealogist's belief that Amos was part of the Ellicott's Mills, MD-to-Fayette County, PA pool of Stevens ancestors from which my own ancestor came. I hope I hear back from this man soon.

rms2
06-28-2016, 08:38 PM
I renewed my Ancestry membership yesterday evening and sent a message to a Stevens man who is supposed to be a y-dna descendant of Amos Stevens/Stephens. His ancestor Amos was born 16 October 1778 in Ellicott's Mills (now Ellicott City), Maryland. I am trying to talk this man into a y-dna test with FTDNA. A match would help confirm the genealogist's belief that Amos was part of the Ellicott's Mills, MD-to-Fayette County, PA pool of Stevens ancestors from which my own ancestor came. I hope I hear back from this man soon.

Woo-hoo! I heard from him! I shouldn't get my hopes up, but he sounds interested. B)

rms2
06-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Woo-hoo! I heard from him! I shouldn't get my hopes up, but he sounds interested. B)

Okay, a y-dna test kit from FTDNA is on its way to him. We're starting with 12 markers. If he matches the rest of us, we will upgrade him to 111 markers. Hopefully that will be the case. He should match us, but you never know until the results are in.

rms2
07-01-2016, 07:59 PM
I know this may not be - and probably is not - of any interest to anyone but me, but I think I may have just made a pretty important discovery today, a discovery that, if correct, confirms the research done by the professional genealogist I mentioned first up in post #122 above.

One of my closest 111-marker matches (106/111) lists his mdka as Henry A. Stevens, born 21 Apr 1801 in Fayette County, PA, and died 26 Apr 1846 in Salem, Ohio. This Henry's spouse is listed merely as "Jane", which is as much as my match knows about her. Well, as it turns out, one of the Stevens the genealogist says is related to me and my group of Stevens/Stephens matches is Dr. Benjamin Stevens, born 1737 in Ellicott's Mills, Maryland. He had a son named Henry "Harry" Stevens, born 1766, and that Henry had a son named Henry whose particulars match those of my match's mdka, and this Henry's wife was Jane Lydia Catherine Thompson, born 07 Jul 1807 in Thompsontown, Juniata, PA. So, it looks like Henry the grandson of Dr. Benjamin Stevens is one and the same with Henry the mdka of my match.

If true, and it certainly seems to be, that is genetic confirmation that our professional genealogist is right in identifying the Ellicott's Mills, Maryland Stevens bunch who went on to Fayette County, Pennsylvania as our ancestral pool. Now I just have to figure out which of these relatives is my y-dna ancestor.

rms2
07-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Okay, a y-dna test kit from FTDNA is on its way to him. We're starting with 12 markers. If he matches the rest of us, we will upgrade him to 111 markers. Hopefully that will be the case. He should match us, but you never know until the results are in.

I'm a little concerned, because I have not heard from this man in about a week. I emailed him yesterday asking whether he had received the FTDNA kit or not. Thus far no answer, but he does live on the West Coast, and it's still pretty early there yet.

The man I am talking about is a descendant of Amos Stevens, b. 16 Oct 1778 in Ellicott's Mills (now Ellicott City), Maryland. In the meantime, I have also heard from a descendant of Benjamin Stevens, b. 20 Feb 1737, also in Maryland (likely the paternal uncle of the aforementioned Amos). I contacted this man via Ancestry and gave him my email address. He says he is interested in a y-dna test, but he'll have to get back to me at a more convenient time. I don't know when that will be, but at least he answered my message and expressed interest.

JMcB
07-07-2016, 03:51 PM
I'm a little concerned, because I have not heard from this man in about a week. I emailed him yesterday asking whether he had received the FTDNA kit or not. Thus far no answer, but he does live on the West Coast, and it's still pretty early there yet.

The man I am talking about is a descendant of Amos Stevens, b. 16 Oct 1778 in Ellicott's Mills (now Ellicott City), Maryland. In the meantime, I have also heard from a descendant of Benjamin Stevens, b. 20 Feb 1737, also in Maryland (likely the paternal uncle of the aforementioned Amos). I contacted this man via Ancestry and gave him my email address. He says he is interested in a y-dna test, but he'll have to get back to me at a more convenient time. I don't know when that will be, but at least he answered my message and expressed interest.

Good luck with your search and ongoing tests, rms2. I hope they bring you all the information you need.

rms2
07-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Good luck with your search and ongoing tests, rms2. I hope they bring you all the information you need.

Thanks. This is pretty exciting to me, but I don't like relying on others for what I need. I wish I could impart to them the same sense of urgency and significance that I feel. The gentleman I sent an FTDNA kit to (or rather had one sent to) is especially important, since I think he and I may be a little more closely related than I am to my other current in-surname matches. If it turns out he matches me more closely than the others at 111 markers, that would tend to support that belief. I really hope he collects the samples and mails in that kit!

JMcB
07-08-2016, 03:46 PM
I know what you mean, I always like it better when I'm the one who's handling things. Hopefully, he'll be contacting you in the near future.

rms2
07-08-2016, 07:15 PM
I know what you mean, I always like it better when I'm the one who's handling things. Hopefully, he'll be contacting you in the near future.

As a matter of fact, I just heard from him a little while ago. He did the cheek swabbing and dropped the kit in the mail this morning. Hopefully it will make it into next week's lab batch. :beerchug:

rms2
07-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Here's why I think this guy will match me, and probably more closely than the rest of my Stevens/Stephens matches (except perhaps known family members). I think we descend from the same family group (see the graphic below). He descends from Amos Stevens, and I suspect I descend from Amos' brother Augustine Jr. (Augustine is a name that occurs again and again in my family).

rms2
07-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Well, I think I may have just witnessed the fastest upgrade to 111 markers ever done by FTDNA. It was an upgrade from 67 markers ordered on June 19, and the results came in today.

Anyway, my most recent Stephens match went from 64/67 to 106/111.

Here is my updated y-dna matches table.

rms2
07-14-2016, 01:05 AM
As a matter of fact, I just heard from him a little while ago. He did the cheek swabbing and dropped the kit in the mail this morning. Hopefully it will make it into next week's lab batch. :beerchug:

FTDNA got his kit today, so it should make it into this week's lab batch. Now we wait.

rms2
07-14-2016, 07:20 PM
FTDNA got his kit today, so it should make it into this week's lab batch. Now we wait.

Amos Stevens' descendant's 12-marker test is in Batch 685, with predicted due date range of 31 August - 14 September 2016. Hopefully, the results will come in earlier than that. B)

So, in other words, his kit made it in in time to be in this week's lab batch. :)

rms2
07-15-2016, 01:12 AM
I've paid for a couple of wild shots in the dark y-dna tests in the past, but this one I think has a lot going for it, which makes it likely to be a hit rather than a miss. We'll see, but I'm looking forward to the results. It sure will narrow the field of inquiry, if there's a match. I really hope there is. I have already set aside the money to upgrade this man to 111 markers, if he matches me exactly at 12 markers.

rms2
07-21-2016, 04:25 PM
I know this may not be - and probably is not - of any interest to anyone but me, but I think I may have just made a pretty important discovery today, a discovery that, if correct, confirms the research done by the professional genealogist I mentioned first up in post #122 above.

One of my closest 111-marker matches (106/111) lists his mdka as Henry A. Stevens, born 21 Apr 1801 in Fayette County, PA, and died 26 Apr 1846 in Salem, Ohio. This Henry's spouse is listed merely as "Jane", which is as much as my match knows about her. Well, as it turns out, one of the Stevens the genealogist says is related to me and my group of Stevens/Stephens matches is Dr. Benjamin Stevens, born 1737 in Ellicott's Mills, Maryland. He had a son named Henry "Harry" Stevens, born 1766, and that Henry had a son named Henry whose particulars match those of my match's mdka, and this Henry's wife was Jane Lydia Catherine Thompson, born 07 Jul 1807 in Thompsontown, Juniata, PA. So, it looks like Henry the grandson of Dr. Benjamin Stevens is one and the same with Henry the mdka of my match.

If true, and it certainly seems to be, that is genetic confirmation that our professional genealogist is right in identifying the Ellicott's Mills, Maryland Stevens bunch who went on to Fayette County, Pennsylvania as our ancestral pool. Now I just have to figure out which of these relatives is my y-dna ancestor.

We now have another descendant of Benjamin Stevens (1737-1811) who has committed to taking a y-dna test. The kit is en route to him. He should be some kind of relatively close cousin (second cousin maybe?) to the match I mentioned above. Hopefully, he will complete the test and mail the kit back in promptly, and we will see some results soon.

These are 12-marker tests that I have initiated for these recruits. Wish I could afford to slap a 111-marker test on them right from the get-go, but I can't. We have to wait and see if they match us, and then I have to persuade my pool of y-dna relatives to pony up for an upgrade to 111 markers.

It's a time consuming (and money consuming) hobby.

rms2
07-28-2016, 12:41 AM
Today I was poking around among my Ancestry DNA matches, and I found one that surprised me. The only surname this lady and I share between our pedigrees is Stevens. When I looked at her Stevens ancestor, I found it was Elizabeth Stevens the daughter of Dr. Benjamin Stevens, Jr., one of the Fayette County, PA bunch! That does not seem like it could be a coincidence. This Elizabeth Stevens married William Boyd.

My match has Elizabeth listed erroneously as having been born in 1822 (her father died in January of 1813) in Fayette, Ohio (she was probably born in Fayette County, PA), but she has her parents listed as Benjamin Stevens and Sophia Peairs (those are the right people). I sent this match a message at Ancestry. Hopefully she'll answer, but this is kind of an ancillary line in her pedigree and probably not of as much significance to her as it is to me.

Given that one of my closest 111-marker Stevens matches is descended from Benjamin Stevens, Sr., the father of Benjamin Stevens, Jr., through Benjamin Jr.'s brother Henry, this makes sense.
It is surprising to me to get autosomal dna matches from such distant connections, but I have some others that are even more distant, so this is not unheard of. If correct, this is more evidence that genealogist Joan Peake's report was right on the money.

I heard from the other descendant of Benjamin Stevens Sr. today, the one I recruited for y-dna testing. He got his kit Monday and mailed the completed kit yesterday. It should make it into next week's lab batch.

These are exciting times for me. Hopefully, it will all pan out. This is what I am looking for from autosomal testing: support and scaffolding for my y-dna quest.

rms2
08-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Today I was poking around among my Ancestry DNA matches, and I found one that surprised me. The only surname this lady and I share between our pedigrees is Stevens. When I looked at her Stevens ancestor, I found it was Elizabeth Stevens the daughter of Dr. Benjamin Stevens, Jr., one of the Fayette County, PA bunch! That does not seem like it could be a coincidence. This Elizabeth Stevens married William Boyd.

My match has Elizabeth listed erroneously as having been born in 1822 (her father died in January of 1813) in Fayette, Ohio (she was probably born in Fayette County, PA), but she has her parents listed as Benjamin Stevens and Sophia Peairs (those are the right people). I sent this match a message at Ancestry. Hopefully she'll answer, but this is kind of an ancillary line in her pedigree and probably not of as much significance to her as it is to me.

Given that one of my closest 111-marker Stevens matches is descended from Benjamin Stevens, Sr., the father of Benjamin Stevens, Jr., through Benjamin Jr.'s brother Henry, this makes sense.
It is surprising to me to get autosomal dna matches from such distant connections, but I have some others that are even more distant, so this is not unheard of. If correct, this is more evidence that genealogist Joan Peake's report was right on the money.

I heard from the other descendant of Benjamin Stevens Sr. today, the one I recruited for y-dna testing. He got his kit Monday and mailed the completed kit yesterday. It should make it into next week's lab batch.

These are exciting times for me. Hopefully, it will all pan out. This is what I am looking for from autosomal testing: support and scaffolding for my y-dna quest.

My Ancestry match's pedigree shows Elizabeth Stevens, daughter of Dr. Benjamin Stevens, Jr., as her third great grandmother. If (a big, speculative if) my third great grandfather Auguston was the son of Augustine Stevens, Jr., Dr. Benjamin Stevens, Jr.'s first cousin, that would make this match and me 7th cousins. Ancestry DNA estimates that we are in the 5th - 8th cousin range and rates the confidence level as good.

Here is a graphic I cooked up to show what I mean. It could be all wrong, of course, but I think the connection should be something very much like this.

rms2
08-17-2016, 06:12 PM
I went to the Library of Virginia in Richmond yesterday and spent a couple of hours looking at one roll of microfilm of the land and personal property tax records for Ohio County (now part of West Virginia) for 1788 - 1810. My time was limited, so I did not make it through the whole roll. There are still some miscellaneous undated records at the end of the roll I did not see.

I did not find even a single Stevens/Stephens on that roll of microfilm until 1810, when a James Stephens suddenly appears. There is also a James Stevens in the 1810 census for Ohio County, probably the same guy, with three boys in his household the right ages to have been my third great grandfather Auguston and his brothers.

rms2
08-21-2016, 09:03 PM
A Stevens 35/37 match of mine just ordered an upgrade to 111 markers.

rms2
08-22-2016, 12:14 PM
You know, I have been putting together a speculative Stevens/Stephens family tree on Ancestry based on genealogist Joan Peake's report so that I can better understand it. One thing that is amazing to me is how many branches of the family there are out there. It's not really surprising that we get a new y-dna match every year or so. It's really surprising we don't get more of them. If Family Tree DNA were a little more aggressive in its advertising, we probably would.

For example, the people in the photo below are relatives of ours. The "John Stevens" referred to is John A. Stevens, born 11 Apr 1826 in PA (probably Greene County), the son of Henry A. Stevens (b. 1801), the son of Henry Stevens (b. 1766), the son of Benjamin Stevens, Sr. (b. 1737). I'm not sure who's who in the photo.

John himself was already dead (1897) by the time the photo was taken, which is why the caption at the bottom refers to the house by the name of his widow, Louisa Landess Stevens. Yesterday on Ancestry I wrote to a young woman in this line, hoping she will be interested enough to get some of her male Stevens cousins or a maternal uncle to test with Family Tree DNA (her mom is the Stevens).