PDA

View Full Version : Mom finally got an mtDNA FGS match

Gary Corbett
04-03-2014, 04:16 AM
After all these years.
Think it still said there was a 2 step mismatch,will hafta go look again.
Would that mean the common ancestor was ancient,and not likely to be discerned?
Or is there a good chance of making a connection?

GailT
04-06-2014, 03:28 PM
After all these years.

It would be worth contacting them to see where the mismatch occurs. An insertion or deletion of an extra AC at marker is quite common, and this counts as 2 steps. Sometimes a single heteroplasmy counts as 2 steps. But if you differ by 2 relatively rare mutations, the common ancestor would probably be very distant.

geebee
07-29-2014, 05:22 AM
After all these years.

Around the time you started this thread, I also got my first FGS match. Not only did we have a GD of 0, but my match had also listed his "Most Distant Ancestor". Same woman as mine! Marie Catherine Anne Berda dit Picard, born about 1730 in Mississippi.

Since my match also had taken the Family Finder test, I took another look at my FF matches. Sure enough, he was among them. Turns out we have matching segments on four different chromosomes (1 each at more than 5 cM), including the X. So I would expect that our "most distant" (mtDNA) ancestor is not necessarily also our most recent shared mtDNA ancestor.

I also have an HVR1/HVR2 match that shows Marie's daughter as his most distant ancestor, and she is also in a direct path to me. So presumably, if this match had taken the FGS, we also would have a GD of 0.

I now have two additional FGS matches. These have GDs of 1 and 3, but one doesn't list any mtDNA ancestor; and the other lists someone who is probably no more than his grandmother or great grandmother, since she was born in 1912.

Anyway, for me I suspect that most FGS matches who are really related to me in a genealogical time frame will probably prove to be perfect matches. It seems that there were no mtDNA mutations between my 6th great grandmother and me, or else this cousin and I happened to have had exactly the same mutations. (Correction: No mutations from whoever our most recent common mtDNA ancestor was, if it was not Marie.)

But obviously, this needn't be true -- probably won't be true -- for everyone.

Jenny
07-29-2014, 08:46 PM
My FMS match is from the same area (Lake District Finland) as my ggggggmother but she is before history was recorded. She lived before 1450 a.d.

Gary Corbett
08-09-2014, 03:03 AM
That's pretty cool,Gary.
You got real lucky on that one!!

geebee
08-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I've had pretty good finds with mtDNA and Y DNA both now -- but only several years after my first tests.

In general, I think with mtDNA you usually need a perfect match for it to be genealogically significant. But I'd also defer to GailT on this one -- some mutations can be pretty recent, so not necessarily matter that much.

But the good thing is that more and more people are testing all the time, so this match your mom has gotten will hopefully be followed by even closer ones.

I'm lousy about being patient, but patience and persistence seem to be what it takes.

Gary Corbett
12-01-2015, 01:38 AM
Been quite some time since I looked at my mom's matches.
Now she has one with NO mismatches.
Hope she responds to my email!!!

Jenny
12-02-2015, 10:32 AM
I have 3 zero distance full sequence matches, even though one is from the same geographic area, we can't find a match. I just don't think Mtdna is good for anything other than migration patterns

GailT
12-03-2015, 03:41 AM
I have 3 zero distance full sequence matches, even though one is from the same geographic area, we can't find a match. I just don't think Mtdna is good for anything other than migration patterns

It really depends on how many "recent" mutations you have in your maternal line. There are people with no mutations in many thousands of years and most of their matches will be very distantly related. Even if you do have a "recent" mutation, say a few hundred to a thousand years ago, many of your matches might not be related in a genealogical time frame, but the odds improve that at least some of them will be more recently related.

dp
12-03-2015, 05:25 PM
If two persons are in different mtDNA (ancient) haplogroups --say one in H and the other in K-- and someone is looking for a genealogical connection between them, the line of mothers from which they individually inherited their mtDNA cannot be the same. Genetics is the most powerful tool to eliminate the fruitless search for such a genealogical connection, on those particular lineages. The same can be said for Y-DNA. If one male is in R-P312 (or a downstream branch thereof) and another --no matter the surname-- is in R-U106 (or a downstream branch), they can be eliminated from having a common ancestor on their "surname" lineage (that through which they individually inherited their Y-DNA.
Where it is not necessary to buy an additional mtDNA test is, if a child & their mother have kits, and one has ordered a mtDNA kit, there's no need for the other to order one. If they differ it will be most likely in their C-stretch, AC/CA repeat in the hypervariable region (which are disregarded in phylogenetics), or inconclusive results (like a Y, N, etc) in one is read as a {C or T}, {C or T or A or G}, etc. in the other one. That's why I haven't ordered one on my mom's kit.
The same is true for additional Y tests. If a son & their father have kits, and one has a Y-DNA kit, there's no need for the other to order one. That's why I haven't ordered one on my paternal uncle's kit.
Proviso/Hint: Assume nothing. Give the other party an autosomal tests. Some AG users have found their parents were not as related to them as they had been led to believe.
Yours,
dp :-)