PDA

View Full Version : M269 - Question on recommended snaps

Stolfi
04-22-2021, 03:25 PM
I'm very new to this and just received my Y-DNA results from FamilyTreeDNA. I am managing my cousin's kit as he is a direct male on my mother's paternal side. Our earliest known relative is Henry Cook who was in Salem, Massachusetts back in the 1640's. The predicted Haplogroup is R-M269, but is it recommended to purchase these downstream "snaps" and, if so, would I purchase the R-L23, the R-PF7562 or R-FGC31923? Thanks in advance for any help/info!

MacUalraig
04-22-2021, 04:48 PM
I'm very new to this and just received my Y-DNA results from FamilyTreeDNA. I am managing my cousin's kit as he is a direct male on my mother's paternal side. Our earliest known relative is Henry Cook who was in Salem, Massachusetts back in the 1640's. The predicted Haplogroup is R-M269, but is it recommended to purchase these downstream "snaps" and, if so, would I purchase the R-L23, the R-PF7562 or R-FGC31923? Thanks in advance for any help/info!

Definitely don't buy high level SNPs just below your current predicted haplogroup. The SNP tree is enormous in depth and the costs would spiral out of control quickly. Your choices if you want to find your exact 'terminal' SNP are either to get a haplogroup panel/pack or do a sequencing test. Have a think about what you want to know and how much its worth as both these options will still run into 100s of dollars.

RobertCasey
04-22-2021, 05:13 PM
I would help a lot knowing the details of your current YDNA order. I assume that you ordeed Y37 or Y111 and received the very common R-M269 prediction which is around 75 % of all people with English speaking ancestors. If you have Y37, you should upgrade to Y111 as you can rarely predict Y37 results (only 10 to 15 % of the time for R-M269). At Y111, it becomes around 75 % of the time for R-P312 and probably around 25 % of the time for R-U106 (the vast majority of R-M269). You should run your YSTR results through NEVGEN which is a tool that predicts YSNP branches based on YSTR values (but this only works around 30 to 50 % of the time for R-M269 - but it is free). The other free prediction input is your YSTR matches and what your closest matches show for terminal haplogroups. We could help you a lot more if you post your FTDNA ID and what projects that you belong to. This way is a third way to get a better idea of what haplogroup that you belong to.

The information that you provide, the better advice you will receive. Otherwise, you will get the most common scenarios which may not even be applicable to your test results.

I agree with MacUalraig, do not purchase the individual YSNPs or the R1b SNP pack - these are no longer cost effective in finding out more. Your only two choices are analyzing your YSTR values (free) or confirming your terminal YSNP via upgrading to Big Y700.

Stolfi
04-22-2021, 07:01 PM
Thank you! The last thing I want to do is spend more money and have it result with me not knowing much more than I do now. My kit number is 954437. The groups that I belong to are: Cook (which is the correct surname) and a generic R1b group. I match at the 111 marker with a couple of others that have the same last known ancestor (Henry Cook of Salem, MA). The problem is that nobody knows where Henry really came from as he doesn't show on any manifests nor any birth records over in England. I will look for the NEVGEN tool and see if it shows anything interesting.

Stolfi
04-22-2021, 07:40 PM
Thank you! The last thing I want to do is spend more money and have it result with me not knowing much more than I do now. My kit number is 954437. The groups that I belong to are: Cook (which is the correct surname) and a generic R1b group. I match at the 111 marker with a couple of others that have the same last known ancestor (Henry Cook of Salem, MA). The problem is that nobody knows where Henry really came from as he doesn't show on any manifests nor any birth records over in England. I just went to the NEVGEN site and here are the results I got.

Stolfi
04-22-2021, 07:58 PM
I wish I could delete my posts above - I didn't realize that I double posted! Also, I realized that the settings on NEVGEN needed to be updated and I believe it updated my results properly. If the results aren't always accurate via NEVGEN, how would you know if they are accurate or not?

RobertCasey
04-28-2021, 06:17 PM
Thank you! The last thing I want to do is spend more money and have it result with me not knowing much more than I do now. My kit number is 954437. The groups that I belong to are: Cook (which is the correct surname) and a generic R1b group. I match at the 111 marker with a couple of others that have the same last known ancestor (Henry Cook of Salem, MA). The problem is that nobody knows where Henry really came from as he doesn't show on any manifests nor any birth records over in England. I will look for the NEVGEN tool and see if it shows anything interesting.

I ran you YSTR markers through the NEVGEN predictor tool and predicted the following:

R1b U106>Z381> Z301>L48>L47>Z159> S3251

I would recommend joining the U106 project:

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/u106/about/background

Here is an excellent display of U106 (warning this takes one or two minutes to download):

https://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=1147

Here is YFULL's view of S3251:

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-S3249/

YFULL states that S3251 is around 3000 YBP and still has a lot of branches
below it (better view with ytree).

Stolfi
04-29-2021, 05:44 PM
I ran you YSTR markers through the NEVGEN predictor tool and predicted the following:

R1b U106>Z381> Z301>L48>L47>Z159> S3251

I would recommend joining the U106 project:

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/u106/about/background

Here is an excellent display of U106 (warning this takes one or two minutes to download):

https://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=1147

Here is YFULL's view of S3251:

https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-S3249/

YFULL states that S3251 is around 3000 YBP and still has a lot of branches
below it (better view with ytree).

Thank you, Robert! I went ahead and upgraded to the Big Y 700, so I will hopefully land in one of the branches below S3251. I see I match on some people on the terminal snaps of FGC8579, R-BY147880 and Y22512 amongst some others, so I believe the S3251 is correct. There's so much to learn.

TigerMW
05-03-2021, 04:12 PM
Thank you, Robert! I went ahead and upgraded to the Big Y 700, so I will hopefully land in one of the branches below S3251. I see I match on some people on the terminal snaps of FGC8579, R-BY147880 and Y22512 amongst some others, so I believe the S3251 is correct. There's so much to learn.
Good move, it's expensive but next generation sequencing is the only way to go since you are not just testing for other people's SNPs but get your own line of SNPs down into our family trees.