PDA

View Full Version : My number of matches has gone down

kiterunner
04-22-2021, 05:37 PM
At the end of February this year, I had 517 DNA matches on Living DNA, but now it says I only have 433. Have they changed their matching algorithm?

kiterunner
04-22-2021, 09:59 PM
Also looking at some of the matches on my list, the amount of shared DNA has changed. For instance, from 29.89 CM to 41.01 cM. Another from 29.86 cM to 33.41 cM. These particular matches presumably share common Ashkenazi Jewish DNA with me, so I am surprised the amount shared with them has gone up. I would expect that if they had tweaked their algorithm to ignore some common DNA the amount would go down. Another match who I don't think has Jewish DNA has gone up from 17.13 cM of shared DNA to 28.50.

I did get an email from Living DNA a couple of days ago to say I had new matches, but it doesn't say anything about them changing the algorithm or culling matches. It just says "To view your new matches, simply sort your match list by 'date added'." I have done that, and I seem to have at least 120 DNA matches at the top of the list which I haven't seen before. I'm not sure they are all being shown in the right order. But that would mean I have lost about 200 old matches from the list. Still trying to figure out exactly what has happened. Does anyone know anything, please?

kiterunner
04-28-2021, 06:13 PM
I was expecting Living DNA to announce something about this for DNA Day, but I haven't seen anything.