PDA

View Full Version : What level of Y testing should I get for my Jewish uncle?

harrimir
04-22-2021, 06:22 PM
I was told I should post this in the Jewish section in addition to the ftdna section!

My uncle finally agreed to a Y-Dna test, for the Jewish side of my family. I will probably wait for the FTDNA father's day sale, but what I am unsure of is whether to go for the 37 or 111 markers. I did my father's line at the y-37 level years ago and that got me matched down to people as specific as j-ph185 (which has been quite a confusing thing to research). My question is, what does the field of Jewish y Dna look like in terms of.. what will I actually need to get a clear picture?

What should I expect testing at each level? ( To clarify, there is no chance of me being able to afford a Big Y)

SUPREEEEEME
04-22-2021, 06:30 PM
I was told I should post this in the Jewish section in addition to the ftdna section!

My uncle finally agreed to a Y-Dna test, for the Jewish side of my family. I will probably wait for the FTDNA father's day sale, but what I am unsure of is whether to go for the 37 or 111 markers. I did my father's line at the y-37 level years ago and that got me matched down to people as specific as j-ph185 (which has been quite a confusing thing to research). My question is, what does the field of Jewish y Dna look like in terms of.. what will I actually need to get a clear picture?

What should I expect testing at each level? ( To clarify, there is no chance of me being able to afford a Big Y)

A Y37 should be sufficient to determine which branch he is in based on his matches (is he Ashkenazi?). Most Ashkenazi branches have likely been identified by now.

FTDNA is currently having a sale, and it is $99.

leorcooper19
04-22-2021, 06:43 PM

As Supreme said, FTDNA is having a sale right now, and it's unlikely that the test will be cheaper on Father's day. If your uncle's ready, there's no reason to wait.

If your uncle's paternal line in Ashkenazi, with Y37 we would able to make a lineage identification and possibly a subclade identification within that lineage. With Y111 you'd very likely be able to make a subclade identification within the lineage, with the degree of specificity depending on which lineage you get.

If your uncle's paternal line is not Ashkenazi, then I would personally recommend Y111 as we can use all the data we can get for the smaller Jewish lineages found in Sephardi, Mizrachi, or smaller Jewish communities. But a Y37 would still allow for a lineage ID, assuming the lineage is already known and listed on Jewishdna.net.

Looking forward!

harrimir
04-22-2021, 06:50 PM
I just ordered the y-37! Thanks for the heads up on the sale!
And, if in the future I want to upgrade to the 111, it's discounted, right? I remember that being the case a decade ago when I went from 12 to 37.

leorcooper19
04-22-2021, 06:52 PM
I just ordered the y-37! Thanks for the heads up on the sale!
And, if in the future I want to upgrade to the 111, it's discounted, right? I remember that being the case a decade ago when I went from 12 to 37.

Awesome!

Yes, all upgrades are discounted, whether you go Y37>Y111 or Y37>Big Y-700.