PDA

View Full Version : Living DNA update?

excine
04-28-2021, 05:18 PM
Seems like living DNA is updating their method of admixture.

https://i.imgur.com/V11bzv2.png

boilermeschew827
04-29-2021, 01:08 PM
I found the following statements in that image interesting:

That we will soon be rolling out a method update that will be available to customers with European ancestry outside of Great Britain and Ireland. Our team is working super hard to make this update available within the following weeks. If the upgrade is applicable to you, you will be notified.

and

Sadly, not everyone will be eligible to receive this update, but if you donít hear from us this time around donít worry! Weíre still working on additional improvements and refinements for the rest of the world as well, so watch this space!

How are they determining who is eligible for this update? For example, I have no ancestry from GB and Ireland, but am assigned 14.9% Scotland and Ireland - am I now ineligible based on a current assignment? Or like the "unofficial" 2019 update, are we all going to need to fill out a survey stating our paper trail?

Seems like a weird way to roll out an update. Like many of these things, it will be interesting.

Mariusz95
04-29-2021, 01:13 PM
I think this update will be available for all people with European ancestry.

Dorkymon
04-29-2021, 01:21 PM
How are they determining who is eligible for this update? For example, I have no ancestry from GB and Ireland, but am assigned 14.9% Scotland and Ireland - am I now ineligible based on a current assignment? Or like the "unofficial" 2019 update, are we all going to need to fill out a survey stating our paper trail?

Seems like a weird way to roll out an update. Like many of these things, it will be interesting.

Same, no ancestry from the isles, but they assign me a couple of percentages. Will be a bummer if that will stop me from getting the update.

MatAust21
04-29-2021, 10:02 PM
Same, no ancestry from the isles, but they assign me a couple of percentages. Will be a bummer if that will stop me from getting the update.

It's hard to believe no update would be applied to those whose results are partially British/Irish, partially other European.

Maybe, with this algorithm update, you might even lose you British score, if it is not real.

kujira692
04-30-2021, 01:07 AM
I think there was an update like this before wherein only some people received it: I think it was a refinement to regions within Great Britain and you had to have over a certain threshold percentage from their to receive it (it was low I thought...like 20%??) So I think they mean that if an account has, say 20%+, ancestry in Europe outside of Great Britain/Ireland then they will get the update.

Not sure if that's what they actually mean, but that's how I understand it.

geebee
04-30-2021, 03:36 AM
I think there was an update like this before wherein only some people received it: I think it was a refinement to regions within Great Britain and you had to have over a certain threshold percentage from their to receive it (it was low I thought...like 20%??) So I think they mean that if an account has, say 20%+, ancestry in Europe outside of Great Britain/Ireland then they will get the update.

Not sure if that's what they actually mean, but that's how I understand it.

One problem with this is that if you have an ancestry in Europe outside of Great Britain/Ireland that should be above 20%, you will not get the update simply because LivingDNA has underestimated your non-Great Britain/Ireland result.

They do this very often with some ancestry that is actually German, assigning it to Great Britain instead.

23andMe's Ancestry Composition quite reasonably assigns me 48.2% "French & German", 36.3% "British & Irish", 6.2% "Broadly Northwestern Europe". They also assign several other fairly small ancestries, including 6.0% "Southern European" and 1.9% "Native American".

By contrast, LivingDNA only "sees" 16.4% "Northwest Germanic", and the rest of my German ancestry is apparently assigned to parts of Great Britain which have a high percentage of Angle and Saxon DNA.

However, they do at least assign 6.7% of my Menorcan ancestry to "East Iberia", which is better than Ancestry was able to do. (Ancestry gave me 0 "Spanish" and only 5% "Germanic Europe".)

msmarjoribanks
05-09-2021, 02:48 PM
I went over there and it offered me the update for my Ancestry upload and my parents' ancestry uploads. It didn't for my actual LDNA test, oddly.

Mstock
05-09-2021, 03:51 PM
I don’t think it’s the update. It’s just worded that way. I think they meant to say to unlock. I could be wrong but also how would you know it got updated if you’ve never seen it. Sort of catch 22.

msmarjoribanks
05-09-2021, 05:01 PM
There is some kind of update. It changed things around, but still is messed up re German, from what I can see. My mom now has 19.4% Scandinavian (one of her grandmothers was fully Swedish, so that makes sense), but the rest (80.6%) is British Isles, so it's still missing all the German (my mom is likely around 25% German, only 50% British Isles on paper).

My dad gets 76.6% British Isles (which is in the ballpark, if a bit low, and his North Wales is at 7.5% -- I'm glad they picked up North Wales. Some of the other regions make sense too). However, his non British Isles is 1.3% Basque (he had Basque before the update, he has about 6.25% French ancestry on paper, so maybe), 2.8% Finland (I think this is new), and then 19.4% South Germanic (too high, but not crazy -- He also has a little Dutch ancestry, so maybe that's getting mixed in). Mainly, though, I think they still have issues with English vs German.

And then amusingly, I now get only 27.6% British Isles. My 72.4% European includes 42.4% South Germanic (much of this should be English), 15.4% Scandinavia (as with my mom, this makes sense), and 14.6% NW Germanic. (I am likely about 20% German at most, although that's on paper so could be more or less, mixed Rhineland and Swiss.)

greerpalmer
05-12-2021, 01:57 AM
There is some kind of update.

Did you receive an e-mail notifying you of the update? I believe you'd be the first I've seen to report a recent update.

msmarjoribanks
05-12-2021, 04:53 PM
I went to the site and it asked me if I wanted it. After they did it, I got an email saying it was complete.

Nqp15hhu
05-12-2021, 06:04 PM
None of my family members, including me have received an update.

msmarjoribanks
05-12-2021, 11:39 PM
Do you have the actual test? My actual test wasn't offered an update, but my uploads were.

Nqp15hhu
05-13-2021, 12:37 AM
No theyíre all uploads

MatAust21
05-14-2021, 02:16 AM
I sent Living DNA an email yesterday, and got a reply. They have confirmed that an algorithm update focused on Europe is coming soon. It has not started being implemented yet, however.

Here is a copy of part of the email I got:

"We have not yet launched our update as we are still working on the final touches- we shall email customers to alert them to this, it is coming very soon. Our customers will be invited to process the update or keep their original results."

I asked when was their last update, and they told me:

"Our last update was in February last year."

geebee
05-14-2021, 03:26 AM
I just received an email, but it's extremely vague and I don't think it's necessarily on the same topic. It just a .png file saying the following:

"Keep your eyes peeled
AND YOUR INBOX REFRESHED ...
For a new way to use your Living DNA reports.
That's all we can say for now."

Nqp15hhu
05-14-2021, 07:31 AM
Hopefully it sorts out my Irish dna results

msmarjoribanks
05-14-2021, 11:36 PM
Hmm, weird. Maybe I just haven't been there enough to notice the older update, but I'm reasonably sure I've at least been there to check on the relative matches.

It is claiming "last updated May 9, 2021," but perhaps I could have opted in to some older update sooner and did not. It is claiming the prior results were Nov 23, 2019, which is consistent with that theory. My actual LDNA test says "completed Feb 3, 2020."

Aiden
05-14-2021, 11:48 PM
I just received an email, but it's extremely vague and I don't think it's necessarily on the same topic. It just a .png file saying the following:

"Keep your eyes peeled
AND YOUR INBOX REFRESHED ...
For a new way to use your Living DNA reports.
That's all we can say for now."

Also "And keep your wallet full, because these updates are gonna cost ya" lol

Mstock
05-15-2021, 05:29 AM
Anyone willing to donate to my livingdna upgrades? I have three accounts that need it. Maybe I should set up a go fund me. I’m in dier need.

MatAust21
05-15-2021, 09:50 PM
Also "And keep your wallet full, because these updates are gonna cost ya" lol

Probably not though. Last updates from Living DNA, 23andme, AncestryDNA, and FTDNA were all implemented for free for those who already had their results.

The same goes for MyHeritage's genetic groups feature.

Robert1
05-25-2021, 02:18 AM
Today on the Living DNA Users Facebook page Living DNA gave an 'update on this update'.

Esmee Living ... We will be offering the update to users soon! Esmee @ living DNA

We are in the final stages so I cannot confirm an exact date yet, we would hope to see it released in June.

We wont be offering general updates, they will be more specific to areas we know we should and can improve so our focus over the coming months will be our European panel, this update will be the first.

we wont be focusing on England but Ireland is on the list for updates in the future. It will not be included in this initial one though.

Nqp15hhu
05-25-2021, 12:12 PM
Today on the Living DNA Users Facebook page Living DNA gave an 'update on this update'.

Esmee Living ... We will be offering the update to users soon! Esmee @ living DNA

We are in the final stages so I cannot confirm an exact date yet, we would hope to see it released in June.

We wont be offering general updates, they will be more specific to areas we know we should and can improve so our focus over the coming months will be our European panel, this update will be the first.

we wont be focusing on England but Ireland is on the list for updates in the future. It will not be included in this initial one though.

So my results will still be horrendous.

Bog Body
05-27-2021, 01:32 AM

"cannot confirm an exact date...
We wont be offering general updates...
we wont be focusing on England...
Ireland is on the list for updates. It will not be included in this initial one though."

Lots to get excited about here, LivingDNA. :\

MatAust21
05-27-2021, 08:50 AM
I actually am looking forward to it!

Living DNA does a good job with my North Italian ancestry, but their current algorithm replaces my South German and Polish ancestries with East German and ''Pannonian'', which I assume are somewhat in between Southern Germany and Poland, genetically speaking.

With this algorithm update, I am hoping they will be finally able to correctly sort my profile as a North Italian + South German + Polish/Northeastern European mix, as it is supposed to be, instead of giving me some GEDmatch oracle-like results.

MatAust21
06-10-2021, 04:59 AM
I contacted them again to see if I could get more details on this upcoming European update. I got a response regarding who will qualify, and also that it is for free, but they didn't disclose a release date yet.

''Hi ******,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Anyone with European ancestry who is not 100% UK & Ireland will be eligible for the update, whether they have tested with us directly or uploaded their DNA to us.

All ancestry updates are free of charge, so you will be able to receive the update on any profile with European ancestry outside of the UK and Ireland for free.

Although we are keen to get the update out to everyone as soon as possible, we also want to make sure that it is thoroughly tested and working as we intended before it's released. This means that it's difficult to make promises about release dates because if any problems are found during testing, it will mean pushing that date back.

Please keep an eye on our social media pages and our blog for the most up-to-date announcements.

I hope that this helps
Kind regards,

Customer Service Supervisor''

Nqp15hhu
06-10-2021, 08:12 AM
Great so Iím disqualified even though my estimate is absolutely diabolical!

Aiden
06-10-2021, 06:20 PM
I'm still pissed they did not detect any of my Swiss German heritage, still waiting for them to update my results

Tomenable
06-11-2021, 12:06 AM
I'm still pissed they did not detect any of my Swiss German heritage, still waiting for them to update my results

From which Canton(s) ???

vettor
06-11-2021, 02:29 AM
I actually am looking forward to it!

Living DNA does a good job with my North Italian ancestry, but their current algorithm replaces my South German and Polish ancestries with East German and ''Pannonian'', which I assume are somewhat in between Southern Germany and Poland, genetically speaking.

With this algorithm update, I am hoping they will be finally able to correctly sort my profile as a North Italian + South German + Polish/Northeastern European mix, as it is supposed to be, instead of giving me some GEDmatch oracle-like results.

I have had this pannonian as well ...........it can represent either German Silesia or German Thuringia

you should have North Italian + Austrian + Tyrolese + german hungarian in majority

Aiden
06-11-2021, 04:18 AM
From which Canton(s) ???

Baden wurttemberg and Zurich, 23andme confirms this excellently as well.