PDA

View Full Version : Gedmatch - deceased relatives?

BlueEyedItalian
05-06-2021, 10:57 AM
I read somewhere you can emulate deceased relatives. Hypothically.

Can that be done if no surviving parent?

I've a relative with kids, wife but no parents.

Mr.G
05-18-2021, 10:36 PM
For one missing parent, yes. Let's say that you have the father and also a child on GEDmatch, you can then create theoretical results for the mother.

You can take their Eurogenes K13 for example and assume the child as the midpoint between the parents, and figure out the unknown parent from there.

Just a theoretical result, not exact of course.

EDIT: I can see now that you are asking specifically if a person's parent(s) can be emulated, utilizing only that person's child. No, I don't believe this can be done.

Osiris
05-19-2021, 01:38 AM
I was under the impression that you could create Lazarus DNA but it was tricky.

Let's say I have 6 2nd cousins from my great grandparents through their son my paternal grandfather. In addition a daughter from a sister to your paternal grandmother. Then you could take triangulated segments from yourself and your 6 cousins to start filling in the DNA for your paternal grandfather and put it into a lazarus kit. I'm not sure what the exact point of the individual not related to the person you're trying to recreate DNA for. I only did this for my father with my, my sister and my dad's brother but also added my mom.

geebee
05-30-2021, 01:18 AM
I was under the impression that you could create Lazarus DNA but it was tricky.

Let's say I have 6 2nd cousins from my great grandparents through their son my paternal grandfather. In addition a daughter from a sister to your paternal grandmother. Then you could take triangulated segments from yourself and your 6 cousins to start filling in the DNA for your paternal grandfather and put it into a lazarus kit. I'm not sure what the exact point of the individual not related to the person you're trying to recreate DNA for. I only did this for my father with my, my sister and my dad's brother but also added my mom.

You can find a suggestion for phasing parents -- when neither has been tested -- at ISOGG: https://isogg.org/wiki/Phasing

"If no parents are available for testing first test all children of the family up to at least five (assuming five or more are available for testing). Then test at least one of the parent's grandchildren through each of the parent's children who had children. It would also be reasonable to test the spouses of the parent's children since that increases the amount of the data you can phase."