PDA

View Full Version : 'Ethiopian' affinities of Ethiopian Somalis

NetNomad
05-18-2021, 12:11 PM
Sometimes on 23andMe I see Ethiopian Somalis with as high as 40% Ethiopian and others as low as sub-1%? Why is it so random? These people are also not from near the border with Somalia but quite inland inside of Ethiopia's Somali province. Those Ethiopian Somali samples in Pagani et al. also show this discrepancy. Any explanations for this?

drobbah Awale Mnemonics

drobbah
05-18-2021, 02:09 PM
Somalis who are more Eurasian than the average Somali with clear Central/Northern Ethio shift will definitely score some Ethio.Those with Central/Northern Ethio tend to also be recently mixed (within last 5 generations) unlike folks like me with heightened Mota probably due to historical admixture (medieval era) from the Oromo migrations.If we assume those early Oromo expansionists were not that different from the current Borana.

I score 100% Somali on 23&me and my father scores 100% Somali on Ancestry despite being a lot more Mota shifted than the average Somalis (14% Mota).I think Diini who is the most Mota shifted Somali on this forum was almost 100% Somali on 23&me if I recall correctly.

diini95
05-18-2021, 02:41 PM
Somalis who are more Eurasian than the average Somali with clear Central/Northern Ethio shift will definitely score some Ethio.Those with Central/Northern Ethio tend to also be recently mixed (within last 5 generations) unlike folks like me with heightened Mota probably due to historical admixture (medieval era) from the Oromo migrations.If we assume those early Oromo expansionists were not that different from the current Borana.

I score 100% Somali on 23&me and my father scores 100% Somali on Ancestry despite being a lot more Mota shifted than the average Somalis (14% Mota).I think Diini who is the most Mota shifted Somali on this forum was almost 100% Somali on 23&me if I recall correctly.

That's true I'm 98.8% Somali and only 0.6% Ethiopian.

NetNomad
05-18-2021, 04:10 PM

Hmm, I think I noticed this pattern on the previous settings and then today saw a new Ethiopian Somali with high Ethio and it got me wondering.. On the old settings there were more Somalis with higher percentage of Ethiopian.

NetNomad
08-17-2021, 04:35 PM
drobbah

Are you also related to that Somali vlogger/social media personality (handle @hodan.ysf at insta)? (don't want to mention her name for privacy, but google it).

She has really high Ethiopian for a Somali on the new settings, but also carries 0.5% MENA noise (seems to be a common thing in Harar region people). Is this common for a Somali from this area or outlier with the new settings? I haven't checked the results of Somalis from that area on the new settings.