PDA

View Full Version : R-BY12112

Brousse
05-19-2021, 04:02 PM
I recently did the Big Y700 my new Haplogroup is R-BY12112 .I have no Y matches at that level but do have 10 Bruce surnamed matches in Y12 through Y67 .I have 4 false non surname matches 2 at the Y25 level but they don’t match me beyond that and 2 Y12 non surname matches but both are a different haplogroup . My Y line descends from a French “minor” royal French family with my 8th Great Grandfather being an exiled Huguenot who arrived in the Virginia colony in 1700. He anglicized his name from Jacques Brousse to James Bruce . He was a tanner merchant and was a type of landlord and registered his coat of arms in Virginia . Being all my Bruce matches are in America I am kind of shocked that no Brousse in France of Canada or even Louisiana has Y tested. I understand Brousse is a super common French surname. Out of the other BY12112 I don’t come anywhere near matching their DYSs . One uncommon marker all my matches carry is DYS 385 =11-12.

TigerMW
05-19-2021, 06:27 PM
You welcome to join the R1b All Subclades project and R1b.YDNA Facebook groups and ask there.
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1b/about
https://www.facebook.com/groups/R1b.YDNA/

MacUalraig
05-19-2021, 07:01 PM
I recently did the Big Y700 my new Haplogroup is R-BY12112 .I have no Y matches at that level but do have 10 Bruce surnamed matches in Y12 through Y67 .I have 4 false non surname matches 2 at the Y25 level but they don’t match me beyond that and 2 Y12 non surname matches but both are a different haplogroup . My Y line descends from a French “minor” royal French family with my 8th Great Grandfather being an exiled Huguenot who arrived in the Virginia colony in 1700. He anglicized his name from Jacques Brousse to James Bruce . He was a tanner merchant and was a type of landlord and registered his coat of arms in Virginia . Being all my Bruce matches are in America I am kind of shocked that no Brousse in France of Canada or even Louisiana has Y tested. I understand Brousse is a super common French surname. Out of the other BY12112 I don’t come anywhere near matching their DYSs . One uncommon marker all my matches carry is DYS 385 =11-12.

Did you upload your data to YFull.com?

Brousse
05-19-2021, 08:12 PM
I haven’t uploaded it anywhere I did not pay the extra $100 for that. I might add I have 20 private variants

MacUalraig
05-19-2021, 08:15 PM
I haven’t uploaded it anywhere I did not pay the extra $100 for that. I might add I have 20 private variants

You only need the VCF report for a YFull upload although if you have it, the BAM file is better. VCF will get you on their tree and your matches.

Brousse
05-19-2021, 08:21 PM
So far it almost looks like France as a birth place of BY12112 So far there’s a couple in England one in Norway and one in Spain 4or5 in France to date. I believe it has an approximate birth date or 2300 ybp . I show zero matches to date .

Brousse
05-19-2021, 08:34 PM
I sent request to join

Webb
05-19-2021, 08:44 PM

Would you also consider joining the DF27 project at FTDNA. Also, you can upload your raw data to Ytree.net. I believe Alex does the analysis for free.

Brousse
05-20-2021, 01:34 AM
I already am member of DF27 group under my current surname spelling of Bruce kit 148371

TigerMW
05-20-2021, 01:56 PM
Did you upload your data to YFull.com?
I haven't done this in awhile but it has come up a couple of times in the last week so I reran my spreadsheet calculations.
As of last year June 8th, the FTDNA tree for R1b was 4.1 times larger than YFull's.
As of May 18th, two days ago, the FTDNA tree for R1b was 4.6 times larger so the gap continues to widen.
Overall, across all haplogroups, the FTDNA tree is about twice as large.

R-BY12112 is an applicable example. Here is the location on the FTDNA haplotree.
https://www.familytreedna.com/public/y-dna-haplotree/R;name=R-BY12112
FTDNA has 12 branches descending from R-BY12112.

There is only one branch under R-BY12112 on the YFull tree.
https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-BY12112/

MacUalraig
05-20-2021, 04:01 PM
The BigY fb group throws people out of the group for recommending YFull analysis. I am happy to prove this if you challenge the statement (quite easy since the owner regularly boasts about it and posts the numbers).

I could also name quite a few haplogroup forums who deliberately don't tell their members about YFull.

TigerMW
05-20-2021, 10:00 PM
The BigY fb group throws people out of the group for recommending YFull analysis. I am happy to prove this if you challenge the statement (quite easy since the owner regularly boasts about it and posts the numbers).

I could also name quite a few haplogroup forums who deliberately don't tell their members about YFull.
I think you are talking about B.W.'s Facebook. He is a volunteer administrator like most of us. I'm not sure what his FB has to do with these postings. I don't think you can blame YF's falling behind on him. They were behind and falling before B.W.

The real problem YF has in R1b is the Big Tree did much of the same thing for R-P312 for years for free. People just didn't have a need to pay for a second, second opinion. Regardless, they are behind on the tree generally speaking, not just R1b. It's just that in R1b it must be painful for them and their advocates.

JMcB
05-21-2021, 12:05 AM
YFull has been and always will be behind FT’s tree because FT is a testing company and YFull isn’t. It depends on people who are interested in having another analysis done. As you say, for the most part R1b testers didn’t really need the service because they were fortunate enough to have Alex’s Big Tree. On the other hand, for those of us who aren’t R1b it is a nice and reasonably cheap service to have. Plus, until Family Tree comes out with their long awaited age estimations, YFull is and has been the only one providing that service for their customers. Personally, I also find YFull’s tree and features a lot easier to use and for $49, I probably would have uploaded my files to them even if I was R1b.

Brousse
05-21-2021, 12:20 AM
I am probably that one By12112 on the tree. I have 20 private variants. I listed my Y line origin as France. You can look me up 148371

Dalluin
05-21-2021, 11:50 AM
I already am member of DF27 group under my current surname spelling of Bruce kit 148371

Welcome DF27 genocousin,

My paternal family comes from the Cotentin peninsula (western and Armorican part of Normandy) in the Brix area (peasants). The old (Latin) name of this small town of Brix is ​​Brussus.
The lords of the place followed William the Conqueror and would be at the base of the Bruce clan. My personal DF27's subclade is BY27831 * (unrelated to the Scottish subclade of BY27831).

Faithfully yours,

Brousse
05-21-2021, 12:36 PM
My Y line was what I consider a minor Royal line. What we have found out is my 8th Great Grandfather a Huguenot that arrived in the Virginia colony was a Tanner merchant who was living in Cognac at the time of his exile. His name was Jacques Brousse . He was also Seigneur de Brousse and held a coat of arms in which he registered in VA. Records are hard to come by in France but we do know his Grandfather’s surname was De La Brousse which is a noble name. To date I have no info on him. Our surname was anglicized to Bruce in 1704 in Virginia.

Dalluin
05-22-2021, 03:11 PM
My Y line was what I consider a minor Royal line. What we have found out is my 8th Great Grandfather a Huguenot that arrived in the Virginia colony was a Tanner merchant who was living in Cognac at the time of his exile. His name was Jacques Brousse . He was also Seigneur de Brousse and held a coat of arms in which he registered in VA. Records are hard to come by in France but we do know his Grandfather’s surname was De La Brousse which is a noble name. To date I have no info on him. Our surname was anglicized to Bruce in 1704 in Virginia.

so simple homophony...
Just one document (in french sorry....), extracted from this book ''Dictionnaire historique et généalogique des Familles du Poitou'', with heraldic elements...

I have no known ancestors from Saintonge....

Brousse
05-22-2021, 05:22 PM
Thanks !! We didn’t even know Jacques Brousse had a coat of arms until a cousin went to where they keep the Huguenot records in NC. It was there my cousin found it. I knew he had to be more than just a merchant because he was sent to speak for the colony . This group had noted nobles and with the class system in play they never would have allowed a commoner to speak for them. The photo is the coat of arms that has been on file in America since 1700 or so. It shows we descend from a Knight and that a bastard took charge of the family. It also shows the family had something to do with sheep or processing wool 44765

Dalluin
05-22-2021, 06:01 PM
La Brousse is a small village, 28 Km away from Cognac.
Probable link with this family
I think that Sheep breeding was surely common in this rural area at that time.

Brousse
05-22-2021, 06:53 PM
I hope one day to find a French Y match. In the 19 years since my Grandfather’s first Y test his kit number is 3015 I followed in 2009 then upgraded to the Y100 then the Y700 in all these years we only have 10 American Bruce matches and 4 non surname matches that are considered false matches because of the different Haplogroups . At Y700 I have no matches I may have family all over France and if they ever change the laws and allow testing . I might be able to complete my story !!

Dalluin
05-23-2021, 09:02 AM
I hope one day to find a French Y match. In the 19 years since my Grandfather’s first Y test his kit number is 3015 I followed in 2009 then upgraded to the Y100 then the Y700 in all these years we only have 10 American Bruce matches and 4 non surname matches that are considered false matches because of the different Haplogroups . At Y700 I have no matches I may have family all over France and if they ever change the laws and allow testing . I might be able to complete my story !!

The favorite test for frenchs is the cheapest (MyHeritage), without Y Test.... More expansive tests are less popular, as FTDNA !! It's a large reason for me to have preferred YSEQ for example (Not only, STRs seem more confused than SNPs). But It will come for you over time....

Brousse
05-23-2021, 12:08 PM
Our problem as far as our French history is we lived in the English colony. With the English and French in a contestant state of war many anglicized their names and became Americans. Huguenots were not allowed into French colonies in America so our French heritage was not retained like in Louisiana or Canada. It’s very possible my Y maybe extinct or close to it in France. My 8th Great Grandfather bringing the coat of arms with him says to me that no suitable person was alive in France to keep it going there. He did live in England for at least 10 or more years. We found his 2nd wife and his marriage certificate on file in the Huguenot church of London archives. It was date 1690 he married Sara Cornu also written as Le Cornu her family were from Tailibourg “spelled wrong” Sara apparently died in London . Jacques took his son Pierre and a Brother in law with him on his journey to the colonies. He left a daughter with his Mother in law in London. I did find an Elizabeth De La Brousse did arrive in the Virginia colony after the death of Jacques by then “James Bruce” . If this is the daughter left in London I am unsure .

Dalluin
05-23-2021, 03:38 PM
You could be right because conflicts between Catholics and Huguenots devastated entire families in France. The revocation of the Edict of Nantes and the repression of Louis XIV then revived chaos.

In France, there are parish registers since +/- 1600 (elder archives could be lost). On the Huguenot side, sometimes there is nothing before 1793 (as in Charentes).
Civil status registers are online but registered by municipality. And the municipalities are numerous........
With luck and a little intuition, the research sometimes pays off

Brousse
05-23-2021, 05:11 PM
In reality his coat of arms belongs to one of us here in the states . A family member visited France and say they saw that coat of arms in a chapel dedicated and built by the followers of Joan of Arc . I am willing to bet my family has a very interesting history in France . Unfortunately I speak no French and at 54 I doubt I will be learning it.