PDA

View Full Version : How much Middle Eastern ancestry do Ashkenazim have?

Azbuzz
05-21-2021, 12:11 AM
From what I've seen they are typically 60 percent Wana and 40 percent Euro. This is what I think. Is this correct?

bitterfruit609
05-21-2021, 05:44 PM
Wikipedia says “Citing autosomal DNA studies, Nicholas Wade estimates that "Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jews have roughly 30 percent European ancestry, with most of the rest from the Middle East."” I don’t know how accurate this is though

thejkhan
05-21-2021, 06:22 PM
From what I've seen they are typically 60 percent Wana and 40 percent Euro. This is what I think. Is this correct?

Does this help?

leorcooper19
05-21-2021, 06:30 PM

Using a broad definition of "WANA" (North African + Levantine + North West Asian + Mesopotamian + Iranian etc.) and of "European" (Greek + Italian + French-German + Slavic etc.) then the 60:40 ratio is probably pretty close to the average for Eastern Ashkenazi Jews. Western Ashkenazi Jews have about 10% less overall European ancestry than EAJs. But, a major problem with this model is that there is a line drawn in the middle of the Greco-Anatolian/Aegean cline that doesn't really exist in reality.

Azbuzz
05-21-2021, 07:23 PM
Wikipedia says “Citing autosomal DNA studies, Nicholas Wade estimates that "Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jews have roughly 30 percent European ancestry, with most of the rest from the Middle East."” I don’t know how accurate this is though

Yep. That's somewhat accurate

Azbuzz
05-21-2021, 07:24 PM
Does this help?

Not that much haha. Seems to vary based on the answers I've got

Azbuzz
05-21-2021, 07:43 PM
Using a broad definition of "WANA" (North African + Levantine + North West Asian + Mesopotamian + Iranian etc.) and of "European" (Greek + Italian + French-German + Slavic etc.) then the 60:40 ratio is probably pretty close to the average for Eastern Ashkenazi Jews. Western Ashkenazi Jews have about 10% less overall European ancestry than EAJs. But, a major problem with this model is that there is a line drawn in the middle of the Greco-Anatolian/Aegean cline that doesn't really exist in reality.

Ah ok. I didn't know Western and Eastern Ashkenazim varied. I know Eastern Ashkenazim would have some Eastern European, but what about Western ones? Are they only South Euro+MENA?

leorcooper19
05-22-2021, 12:36 AM
Ah ok. I didn't know Western and Eastern Ashkenazim varied. I know Eastern Ashkenazim would have some Eastern European, but what about Western ones? Are they only South Euro+MENA?

Western Ashkenazi Jews seem to have some small amount of West Euro, but in context with other Western Jews, WAJs mostly form a cline between Sephardim and EAJs. So, in that sense, what makes them differ from Sephardim is primarily differing degrees of Eastern European/Slavic ancestry, in addition to the base ~5% West Euro ancestry common to all Ashkenazim.

see PCA: https://ibb.co/1LLBkDF

Seabass
05-22-2021, 05:29 AM
How MENA do you consider Romaniote Jews and Cypriots to be? If about 70% or more than you could say with the model I shared below Ashkenazi Jews are over 50% MENA.

The Aegean DNA of Cypriots and Romaniotes is probably both Greek and Anatolian going off below. As Lerocooper said above, it's essentially up for grabs what we want to consider is 'European' or not.

Western Ashkenazi Jews seem to have some small amount of West Euro

I'm open to believe MAJ, ESJs and ITJs may have very minor to trace amounts too.