PDA

View Full Version : 23andme says I'm U152; FTDNA says my father is R-M269

lamahorse
04-09-2014, 08:26 AM
Hi everyone,

I've recently gotten some preliminary results from FTDNA which claims that my father is M269. This flies in the face of 23andme which told me that I was r1b1b2a1a2d*; or U152.

Aside from claiming that I am not my father's son, is there any way I can manually check my 23andme for r1b1a2* markers as I've heard rumours on the interwebs that 23andme have given incorrect genotypes in their results. Ideally, this can be done just looking at their 'raw data' text file and looking for individual markers confirming which lineage I am.

It's kind of disturbing to have these results, so help would be greatly appreciated.

mafe
04-09-2014, 09:01 AM
It all depends on the kind of FTDNA test you have done. An STR test (Y-DNA12/25/37/67/111) does not test for SNPs like U152. It only predicts a haplogroup based on those STR values. R-M269 would be the right prediction for someone who is R-U152.

lamahorse
04-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Excuse my ignorance of Y-DNA testing but yes it's the Y-67 test. Am I jumping to conclusions or should I wait for further results to come in? These are results of the initial y-12 batch.

I assumed that some markers were mutually exclusive; so I was guessing that it would return the U152 result that I got.

You might empathise that a layman such as myself would be alarmed at something seemingly informing me that I'm not my father's son etc.

mafe
04-09-2014, 10:14 AM
I think you are definitely jumping to conclusions. The Y-DNA67 test can be entered in a subclade/haplogroup predictor, in your case it will likely point to U152.

R-U152 has many subclades, some are tested by 23andMe, but not all of them. It seems you are negative for the subclades tested by 23andMe. If you join FTDNA's "U152 and subclades project" you can compare your results to other U152+ (positive) men:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b-U152/default.aspx?vgroup=R1b-U152&section=yresults

Anthrogenica has a U152 sub-forum, you can find further information about U152 in the threads, everyone will be happy to help you out:

www.anthrogenica.com/forumdisplay.php?120-R1b-U152

VinceT
04-11-2014, 04:56 AM
U152 descended from M269, so 23andMe test results and FTDNA's prediction are both accurate in this case. Should your father test for U152 explicitly, he would definitely test positive. It is actually very rare that even a 67-marker haplotype can be predicted for anything more recent than M269, since all of FTDNA's haplotype predictions are based on the original 12-marker set.

Dimanto
04-29-2014, 04:27 AM
I have exactly the same situation but like VinceT said ''U152 descended from M269, so 23andMe test results and FTDNA's prediction are both accurate in this case''

Does Ancestry also provides paternal haplogroup predicting ?

ArmandoR1b
04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
I have exactly the same situation but like VinceT said ''U152 descended from M269, so 23andMe test results and FTDNA's prediction are both accurate in this case''

Does Ancestry also provides paternal haplogroup predicting ?

No. Ancestry.com does not do Y-DNA testing of any sort. It only does autosomal DNA testing.

MitchellSince1893
04-30-2014, 01:16 AM
No. Ancestry.com does not do Y-DNA testing of any sort. It only does autosomal DNA testing.

I'm confused by your post... link to ancestry.com y-dna tests http://ldna.ancestry.com/buyKitGoals.aspx

I've manually loaded my FTDNA Y-dna results into ancestry.com so that can compare my STRs to those that have done a Y-dna test at ancestry.com.

My y-dna match page contains hundreds of y-dna test results.

ArmandoR1b
04-30-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm confused by your post... link to ancestry.com y-dna tests http://ldna.ancestry.com/buyKitGoals.aspx

I've manually loaded my FTDNA Y-dna results into ancestry.com so that can compare my STRs to those that have done a Y-dna test at ancestry.com.

My y-dna match page contains hundreds of y-dna test results.

When I go to the page you linked to it says "We are currently out of stock for this item. Please check back later. " I had read somewhere that they are getting out of the Y-DNA business. I can't find the post now that I look for it but the Y-DNA test was not marketed much in the past several years.

The normal test marketed by Ancestry is just an autosomal test whereas the 23andme test and Geno 2.0 test do Y-DNA SNP, autosomal SNP, and mtDNA testing.