PDA

View Full Version : Human species 'may split in two'

Clinton P
04-10-2014, 10:58 AM
"Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said."

"The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures."

Click here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6057734.stm) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

Agamemnon
04-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Lol, they're assuming everything will remain the same for another thousand years... Why can't I take Mr. Wells seriously already?

I mean, come on, predicting the future? Seriously?
I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but either way, it's a very hazardous thing to say.

DMXX
04-10-2014, 02:16 PM
An interesting idea, but not one I find particularly likely.

This allocation of all qualities we deem to be good into one desirable and another undesirable race strikes me as being quite artificial. I've seen examples millionaires and successful people who aren't the healthiest or best-looking, for instance.

Within every strata of society there seems to be a spectrum of personalities and discerning "types". I haven't researched this topic and am not aware of what the literature might say, but anecdotally, I don't see any indication of active selection for a combination of positive traits in the upper classes right now.

Different people in different societies from different backgrounds put an emphasis on different qualities. For that reason alone, I'm encouraged to keep this idea in the sci-fi realm.

Joe B
04-10-2014, 03:16 PM
The human race may go the other way and we will become more similar to each other. Stephen Stearns is an advocate of the Brazilian look for our future. I'm okay with that. Garota de Ipanema - Astrud Gilberto Joao Gilberto (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5krMVb0ILFM)

A varied population forged from the long-term mixing of Africans, Native Americans and Europeans serves as an archetype for the future of humanity, Stearns said: A few centuries from now, we're all going to look like Brazilians.http://www.livescience.com/34228-will-humans-eventually-all-look-like-brazilians.html

TO SUM up recent research predicting a mixed-race future for humanity, biologist Stephen Stearns of Yale University turns to an already intermingled nation. In a few centuries, he says, we will all "look like Brazilians". Brazil shares with the United States a population built from European immigrants, their African slaves and the remnants of the Amerindian population they displaced. But with many more free blacks during the era of slavery, no "Jim Crow" laws or segregation after it ended in 1888 and no taboo on interracial romance, colour in Brazil became not a binary variable but a spectrum.http://www.economist.com/blogs/americasview/2013/04/affirmative-action-brazil

Wing Genealogist
04-10-2014, 03:24 PM
The way we are currently mucking things up, it would be a small miracle for the human species to even be around 100,000 years from now.

mnd
04-10-2014, 07:22 PM
I remember seeing this back when it originally came out in 2006 and thinking that it read like a spoof article.

It still does.

alan
04-10-2014, 07:30 PM
If the divide ever got that bad I think long before it happened the much larger group of common folks would have a French Revolution rerun and it would be all over for the 'elite'. The rich can only hoover up most of the awards of the collective efforts of the workers for so long and to a certain extreme before they take it too far, the injustice will be seen and it will be heads in baskets time. I think they are dangerously close already in and there are definate whiffs in several European countries of possible popular insurrection. Personally I would be perfectly happy to see 1000s of investment banker heads in baskets after what their gambing has done to the world economy.

"Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said."

"The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures."

Click here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6057734.stm) to read more about this story.

Clinton P

Anglecynn
04-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Doubt it, but we'll see. Well i won't, but someone might. :D

Mehrdad
04-10-2014, 08:01 PM
1000 years ago our ancestors probably didn't expect us to be this advanced, however I wouldn't doubt the fact that in a 1000 years our posterity will be living among the stars and beyond. Perhaps through biological engineering of our DNA we'll develop appearances to help us live in inhospitable planets.

Agamemnon
04-10-2014, 09:30 PM
1000 years ago our ancestors probably didn't expect us to be this advanced, however I wouldn't doubt the fact that in a 1000 years our posterity will be living among the stars and beyond. Perhaps through biological engineering of our DNA we'll develop appearances to help us live in inhospitable planets.

Or we could degenerate and regress, Dark Ages aren't unheard of you know...

Generalissimo
04-11-2014, 10:18 AM
HG Wells put too much focus on biology and none on robotics.

The most important thing that will happen in the near future for humans is that we'll become increasingly more computer/machine-like. It's already started with people who have serious disabilities, but it'll very quickly extend to us all.

Humanist
04-11-2014, 07:19 PM
HG Wells put too much focus on biology and none on robotics.

The most important thing that will happen in the near future for humans is that we'll become increasingly more computer/machine-like. It's already started with people who have serious disabilities, but it'll very quickly extend to us all.

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1-YFbAifA

Mehrdad
04-11-2014, 08:28 PM
If the future of humanity is in robotics, I guess the question then becomes, can our conscience be downloaded to continue living through a machine or some biological cyborg in the next couple of decades?

faulconer
05-03-2014, 12:35 AM
I believe that we will eventually be able to copy our consciousness to a computer but it will always be a copy. We cannot extend life by creating a copy of it as death will still end the awareness of the original (IMO).

tamilgangster
06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
This seems unrealistic, because, for the amount of time for evolution to occur, it would takes 100s of thousands of years. The only way this could happen is if there is an actual social or power structure that prevented mating between the different groups to occur, consistantly for 100s of thousands of years. The closest example to this is the caste system, but even then there was caste movement and mixtures with foreigners etc. Social and Powers] structures that prevent populations from mixing, fall and alter only within a few centuries. Even if distinct social classes exist, people will rise and fall, thus no genetic isolation would happen

Stellaritic
06-28-2014, 06:07 PM
I believe that we will eventually be able to copy our consciousness to a computer but it will always be a copy. We cannot extend life by creating a copy of it as death will still end the awareness of the original (IMO).

It would be interesting to observe the reaction of consciousness mourning itself when the biological version passes away.

Erik
07-12-2014, 01:35 AM
That whole theory is far fetched at the very least. It seems like a dystopian sci-fi story.

ViktorL1
07-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Pure pseudoscience. And somewhat dangerous speculation if you ask me.