PDA

View Full Version : Forum Feedback

Lenka
08-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Since this is a brand new community, I figured it would be helpful to start a feedback thread early. Please let us know any feedback (positive or negative) and especially any issues or concerns you're having with the forum's look and functionality. We'll do our best to correct any problems!

-Lenka

evon
08-05-2012, 03:18 AM
I wonder if its possible to add more flags to the current sortiment?

Scarlet Ibis
08-05-2012, 03:21 AM

Yes, I think so. If you have any that you want, just lemme know, and I'll try to resize, and add them. Provided they're not something like WTO flags, anyway....I removed those from the flags pack. :P

Lenka
08-05-2012, 03:22 AM

What exactly were you looking for?

evon
08-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Various flags, such as historical, ethnic ect...in my case i would like the imperial Russian flag (http://www.theflagshop.co.uk/ekmps/shops/speed/images/russia-imperial-flag-201-p.jpg) to be added ect...

Lenka
08-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Various flags, such as historical, ethnic ect...in my case i would like the imperial Russian flag (http://www.theflagshop.co.uk/ekmps/shops/speed/images/russia-imperial-flag-201-p.jpg) to be added ect...

Alrighty, you can post your requests here (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?28-Flag-Request-Thread&p=116#post116).

scottraveler
08-20-2012, 04:12 PM
There seems to be a glitch on logging out. If one forgets to log out but just leaves the forum, one stays listed as being on line. It is confusing. One can't post, however, until one logs in again even though one has not logged out and name is still listed as on line.

Ezana
08-20-2012, 08:07 PM
That's odd. If you exit the tab it takes some time before listing you as offline (they're not real-time updates), but you should be able to post when you re-visit without having to log in again.

Maybe it's an issue with your browser clearing your cookies whenever you leave a webpage.

ilmari
08-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Ever since I started here, there have been no glitches like that. I go to the page, I'm already logged in and I can respond immediately.

Do the green lights mean anything under a persons handle?

DMXX
08-20-2012, 09:18 PM
The green light indicates whether the user's online or not.

Going to User Control Panel (top-left) > My Settings > My Account > General Settings and turning "Invisible mode on" will allow users to hide their online status, both through the green light and the Who's Online feature on the forum index page.

ilmari
08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Sounds fair, but I see many green lights where the user is not listed as being on the forum at the moment.

Clinton P
08-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Any chance of adding a 'What's on your mind' section to the front page of this forum, like there used to be on the old DNA Forum?

It was an opportunity to write a sentence about what you were thinking about that day, and gave others the opportunity to comment upon it.

It was just a bit of fun really, but added to the social aspect of the site, and allowed members to participate if they didn't want to post anything too deep in the main part of the forum.

Clinton P

DMXX
08-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Sounds fair, but I see many green lights where the user is not listed as being on the forum at the moment.

I believe the green lights you may be referring to are the "reputation points". Some users have theirs activated.

Any chance of adding a 'What's on your mind' section to the front page of this forum, like there used to be on the old DNA Forum?

It was an opportunity to write a sentence about what you were thinking about that day, and gave others the opportunity to comment upon it.

It was just a bit of fun really, but added to the social aspect of the site, and allowed members to participate if they didn't want to post anything too deep in the main part of the forum.

Clinton P

I'll discuss this with the other administrators. It was a fairly fun feature and definitely added to the social aspect. It was an effective outlet for genealogical or genetics tidbits that weren't beefy enough to make a thread out of.

scottraveler
08-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I believe the green lights you may be referring to are the "reputation points". Some users have theirs activated.

I'll discuss this with the other administrators. It was a fairly fun feature and definitely added to the social aspect. It was an effective outlet for genealogical or genetics tidbits that weren't beefy enough to make a thread out of.

Although this issue is not high on my list of concerns, I have an opposite view of a "what's on my mind" and a "current affairs" section for this forum. I think they are divisive and subtract from the potential usefulness of the Forum to engage in discussion on its main topic --- genetic genealogy and population studies broadly construed.

So I would recommend dropping the "current affairs" sub-forum instead of adding a "what's on my mind" section.

DMXX
08-27-2012, 04:30 AM
The OT discussion can be found here (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?211-Men-and-Women-What-Are-The-Differences). The OP can contact a moderator to accommodate any further changes to the new thread.

A gentle reminder that this thread is specifically for feedback on Anthrogenica Forum.

David
08-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Could you possibly add the free "Reptile Green (http://www.webandart.gr/templates/reptile-green-free.html)" skin?

Regards,
david

Scarlet Ibis
09-01-2012, 04:13 AM
-Reptile Green skin added
-Flag feature fixed for all other skins

History-of-Things
09-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Is it possible that when posting links they might show up in a different colored text than normal text? Some people I don't think get they are links when I post them (although most of course figure it out)? Also, when using the link posting function, is it possible to do two entry blanks, one of the url and one for the title? This would just make things easier.

Also, although we are a fairly active forum, our membership numbers are still low. Has anyone posted a notice about Anthrogenica in the 23andme community threads, etc..? Thanks.

Ezana
09-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I noticed that from day one, actually. I just haven't gotten around to figuring out the fix.

I generally bold my links to make them obvious in the Bitten Fruit skin (default forum style). There's a way to change the color/boldness of links in a style automatically but you have to change some of the vbulletin code. Right now it's just a matter of finding where that code is. I'll try to figure it out this week.

basque
11-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Clinton P

Excellent idea
I was one of those members to participate.

Sample below:
Onions: John Wesley in his Primitive Physic thought an onion would help cure the Palsy. `Shred white onions, and bake them gently in an earthen pot, `til they are soft. Spread a thick plaister of this, and apply it to the be-numb`d parts.

I have lots more cures and interesting bits info to share.

basque:)

MfA
01-13-2014, 10:34 PM
Is there a way to see who sends out reputations? It seems anonymous..

This wasn't the case for me atm but as I thought this may cause some abusings as anonymous sends out slurs, curses and can't deal with or report etc.

Scarlet Ibis
01-13-2014, 11:57 PM
You can see who gave you reputation points in your user control panel. You can also see who you gave reputation points to.

Admins & mods can also see.

MfA
01-14-2014, 12:21 AM
You can see who gave you reputation points in your user control panel. You can also see who you gave reputation points to.

Admins & mods can also see.

I'm afraid I can only see who I gave reps to, not who gave me.

http://abload.de/img/desktop_2014_01_14_02tdp18.png

Scarlet Ibis
01-14-2014, 06:34 AM
I'm afraid I can only see who I gave reps to, not who gave me.

http://abload.de/img/desktop_2014_01_14_02tdp18.png

Oh right, that was an accidental oversight. I'm surprised no one brought this up before!!! It should be fixed now.

MikeWhalen
01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
um, I dont see this reputation thing anywhere for myself

M

Scarlet Ibis
01-14-2014, 06:59 PM
um, I dont see this reputation thing anywhere for myself

M

Look at the upper left-hand corner of the webpage, and click on the tab that says "User Control Panel." You should be able to see your reps in there if you scroll down the page.

MikeWhalen
01-14-2014, 07:28 PM
ahh, so it is, learn somthing new everyday..ty

M

Scarlet Ibis
01-14-2014, 09:10 PM
I like Vbulletin (obviously), but things like that are sometimes easy to miss on the default forum software. When I get time, I'm going to rearrange some things around to make it a little more user-friendly.

ahh, so it is, learn somthing new everyday..ty

M

newtoboard
03-29-2015, 09:30 PM
It would be really cool if we could discuss an article in a subthread within the Genetic Genealogy and Ancient DNA in the News Thread. The responses to each article could stay minimized. So you can see the news posted in a quick glance and open up discussion if someone chooses to do so. Can someone look into this possibility?