PDA

View Full Version : Native American J-L283 Big Y

Polska
07-01-2021, 09:47 PM
Itís a long shot, but Iím trying to track down 2 Native American J-L283s who took the Big Y test and APPEAR to be grouped at the top of the L283 tree under the Z622 branch. It would be great to hear about their respective backgrounds and where theyíre from in the United States.

Iíve messaged FTDNA to see if they could serve as an intermediary and send them a message on my behalf (2x now), but havenít heard anything back from FTDNA.

leorcooper19
07-03-2021, 09:21 PM
It’s a long shot, but I’m trying to track down 2 Native American J-L283s who took the Big Y test and APPEAR to be grouped at the top of the L283 tree under the Z622 branch. It would be great to hear about their respective backgrounds and where they’re from in the United States.

I’ve messaged FTDNA to see if they could serve as an intermediary and send them a message on my behalf (2x now), but haven’t heard anything back from FTDNA.

Just curious, is the only reason you believe them to be Native American because on FTDNA their flag is something like: "United States (Native American)"? If so, I can say from my experience with FTDNA that this is a very common mistake throughout the tree, due to the fact that when one types in "United States" into the country field, the first one that comes up is the Native American one. Maybe people just click that and never realize it's wrong. That said, if you can actually see their MDKA info and see that they're self-identifying NAs, then that's of course different.

Polska
07-03-2021, 10:31 PM
Just curious, is the only reason you believe them to be Native American because on FTDNA their flag is something like: "United States (Native American)"? If so, I can say from my experience with FTDNA that this is a very common mistake throughout the tree, due to the fact that when one types in "United States" into the country field, the first one that comes up is the Native American one. Maybe people just click that and never realize it's wrong. That said, if you can actually see their MDKA info and see that they're self-identifying NAs, then that's of course different.

Itís definitely possible. All the other L283 Americans (many) are all denoted by the American flag, whereas there are 2 separate kits at the top of the BigY YTree denoted by the Native American feather. These are the only 2 out of all the Americans. Z622 is rare. The Big Tree also shows 2 other known Z622s: one from Portugal, other from Italy.

I appreciate you mentioning the drop down anomaly with the country field. I hadnít considered that.

Howard23
07-05-2021, 03:34 PM
It’s definitely possible. All the other L283 Americans (many) are all denoted by the American flag, whereas there are 2 separate kits at the top of the BigY YTree denoted by the Native American feather. These are the only 2 out of all the Americans. Z622 is rare. The Big Tree also shows 2 other known Z622s: one from Portugal, other from Italy.

I appreciate you mentioning the drop down anomaly with the country field. I hadn’t considered that.

https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-L283/
It seems Z622 is not rare in yfull.

Polska
07-05-2021, 05:50 PM
https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-L283/
It seems Z622 is not rare in yfull.

In this case, these 2 guys APPEAR to be negative for all downstream branches below Z622.

It does look like FTDNA had previously indicated they had done a Big Y, but the information tab under “detailed view” indicates further SNP testing could result in more detailed placements.

FTDNA’s platform is so confusing.

Polska
07-14-2021, 01:42 AM
As mentioned, I queried FTDNA a couple of times. I finally received a reply. Basically they’re saying that since the kits in question do not belong to Haplogroups Q or C, it must be a mistake and the kits can’t be Native American. That’s an interesting concept to me. What if 3 out of 4 grandparents are Native American and your paternal grandfather was European and belonged to L283? You’d be 75% Native American. Native American or not, no answer on whether these 2 guys did the BigY or not and whether FTDNA could serve as an intermediary and contact them on my behalf. So I’m pimping them for more information.

alchemist223
07-14-2021, 02:48 AM
They may be Native Americans with European paternal ancestry, or have an fabricated family story about having Native American ancestors. The latter applies to a lot of Americans.

Polska
07-22-2021, 02:28 AM
Actually received a couple responses from the help desk @ FTDNA, which is great. They’ve agreed to message these 2 kits and suggest that they join the M241 Project Page and the L283 Facebook page. It would be great to hear from these guys. Fingers crossed.