PDA

View Full Version : Gene variant makes eaters of processed meat 'more likely to get colorectal cancer'

LUKE33
04-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Source : http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/275619.php

The risk of getting colorectal cancer from eating processed meat is significantly increased in 1 in 3 people who are carriers of a common gene variant, according to a new review published in PLOS Genetics.

Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer death in both men and women and across most ethnic-racial groups. It is influenced by a variety of factors, including genetic causes and lifestyle factors such as diet.

Previous studies have suggested that eating red or processed meat slightly increases risk of colorectal cancer, and that fruits, vegetables and fiber decrease risk.

Research has focused more recently on how common genetic variants might influence the relationship between certain dietary factors and colorectal cancer risk.

But these studies have mostly looked at the genetic variants called single nucleotide polymorphisms that are directly involved in metabolizing B-vitamins or key nutrients in fruit and vegetables.

The review analyzed 10 studies comprising 9,287 colorectal cancer cases and 9,117 controls. It examines more than 2.7 million common polymorphisms for how they interact with red meat, processed meat, fiber, fruit and vegetables, and how this affects colorectal cancer risk.

Interaction between processed meat and genetic variant 'rs4143094'

The researchers - whose work was sponsored by the National Institutes of Health-funded Genetics and Epidemiology of Colorectal Cancer Consortium and Colorectal Cancer Family Registry - detected a significant interaction between the genetic variant "rs4143094" and processed meat.

This variant is linked to a gene called GATA3 that has previously been linked to several forms of cancer and plays a role in the immune system.

Dr. Jane Figueiredo, of the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California, says their findings represent a significant breakthrough in understanding how colorectal cancer risk is influenced by an individual's genomic profile:

"Diet is a modifiable risk factor for colorectal cancer. Our study is the first to understand whether some individuals are at higher or lower risk based on their genomic profile. This information can help us better understand the biology and maybe in the future lead to targeted prevention strategies."

Dr. Figueiredo believes that there may be further biological significance behind this interaction, due to the area of the genome that is affected, but acknowledges that further research is required.

"Our results, if replicated by other studies, may provide us with a greater understanding of the biology into colorectal carcinogenesis," adds Dr. Ulrike Peters of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center's Public Health Sciences Division.

"The possibility that genetic variants may modify an individual's risk for disease based on diet has not been thoroughly investigated but represents an important new insight into disease development," concludes Dr. Li Hsu, the lead statistician on the study.

MfA
04-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Stratified by genotype, the risk for colorectal cancer associated with each increasing quartile of processed meat was increased in individuals with the rs4143094-TG and -TT genotypes (OR = 1.20, 95% CI = 1.131.26 and OR = 1.39, 95% CI = 1.221.59, respectively) and null in individuals with the rs4143096-GG genotype (OR = 1.03, 95% CI = 0.981.07)
paper (http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1004228)

I have GT, increased risk between 1.13-1.26x

Ignis90
04-21-2014, 03:19 PM
GT here too.

Mehrdad
04-21-2014, 04:09 PM
My results per 23andMe is average, my genotype is GG, makes me wonder if G is the trigger?

alan
04-21-2014, 06:39 PM
I am making a concerted effort to make everything from scratch at the moment. Its quite easy if you make big batches of say soups, stews, chilli, curry, bread, pizzas etc and then freeze them in many containers containing a couple of helping. Generally speaking it usually tastes a lot better too. Only thing is I cannot resist is bacon, very much a processed meat, and there is really no substitute. I have heard bacon is the one thing that tortures people who have gone vegetarian.

MikeWhalen
04-23-2014, 02:49 PM
What? a nice thick deli sandwich of thin sliced pastrami, or Montreal smoked meat would never do that to me!
mmmmmm

Mike

Source : http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/275619.php

LUKE33
04-23-2014, 02:55 PM
What? a nice thick deli sandwich of thin sliced pastrami, or Montreal smoked meat would never do that to me!
mmmmmm

Mike

Mike,

Processed foods in moderation.

Little bit
04-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Well darn, GT. Of the 6 in my group of 8 tested (this snp is not on v2 or v4):
3 GT
3 GG

The snp has an interesting genotype pattern among Europeans and especially Africans with some type of selection for the T:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?rs=rs4143094

Looking up the gene GATA3, it says it "encodes a zinc finger protein belonging to the GATA family of transcription factors, which is a key regulator of T-cell development and plays an important role in endothelial cell biology." Given the link to T cells, I can't help but wonder if there is greater diversity of pathogens in Africa and Europe for which carrying a potentially risky variant may payoff with pathogen resistance?
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/GATA3

Stephen1986
04-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Both myself and my brother have GG. We both have higher than average risks of colorectal cancer according to 23andMe, although neither of us eats that much processed meat. I might have a pizza every now and again or some bacon, but most of the meat I eat is fish or chicken.

J Man
04-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Ahhhh dang GT here as well. Looks like I better cut back on the sandwich meats.

utR!
04-30-2014, 07:51 PM
http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pgen.1004228#pgen-1004228-g003

Abstract

Dietary factors, including meat, fruits, vegetables and fiber, are associated with colorectal cancer; however, there is limited information as to whether these dietary factors interact with genetic variants to modify risk of colorectal cancer. We tested interactions between these dietary factors and approximately 2.7 million genetic variants for colorectal cancer risk among 9,287 cases and 9,117 controls from ten studies. We used logistic regression to investigate multiplicative gene-diet interactions, as well as our recently developed Cocktail method that involves a screening step based on marginal associations and gene-diet correlations and a testing step for multiplicative interactions, while correcting for multiple testing using weighted hypothesis testing. Per quartile increment in the intake of red and processed meat were associated with statistically significant increased risks of colorectal cancer and vegetable, fruit and fiber intake with lower risks. From the case-control analysis, we detected a significant interaction between rs4143094 (10p14/near GATA3) and processed meat consumption (OR = 1.17; p = 8.7E-09), which was consistently observed across studies (p heterogeneity = 0.78). The risk of colorectal cancer associated with processed meat was increased among individuals with the rs4143094-TG and -TT genotypes (OR = 1.20 and OR = 1.39, respectively) and null among those with the GG genotype (OR = 1.03). Our results identify a novel gene-diet interaction with processed meat for colorectal cancer, highlighting that diet may modify the effect of genetic variants on disease risk, which may have important implications for prevention.

According to that article rs4143094 GG is null. Or have I understood it wrong? I have GG but I can not get any result of rs4143094 because I have FTDNA results.

utR!

utR!
05-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Oh no, now I noticed that I have written not correct, it should be...any result of rs4143096 because I have FTDNA results.

So it is not sure do I have any risk of colon cancer. But it is still important to eat healthy (most of your lifetime)...

utR! :)

AJL
05-12-2014, 10:04 PM
I don't have the risk alleles for this, but I can definitely smell boar taint in bacon (bacon which smells like ammonia), which not everyone can (http://chemse.oxfordjournals.org/content/3/1/57.abstract). I wonder if there are SNPs linked to detecting boar taint?