PDA

View Full Version : How much can my Y Haplogroup tell me wrt lineage?

areejs12
08-16-2021, 05:25 AM
Okay, so I know my Haplogroup is R-L263 (from 23&Me)/V3714 (more detailed from LivingDNA), but not much more than that. I know that this particular haplogroup is prevalent in South Asia and to an extent, in the Caucasus. My family tree traces back to Arabia, so I guess either someone is lying, or well...For a fact, I know both sides of my family lead back to northwest Iran. I was just wondering if I could extract any ancestral info from my Y hap. FTDNA has dedicated Y tests, but they are pretty pricey. Are they worth it?

MacUalraig
08-16-2021, 07:50 AM
Okay, so I know my Haplogroup is R-L263 (from 23&Me)/V3714 (more detailed from LivingDNA), but not much more than that. I know that this particular haplogroup is prevalent in South Asia and to an extent, in the Caucasus. My family tree traces back to Arabia, so I guess either someone is lying, or well...For a fact, I know both sides of my family lead back to northwest Iran. I was just wondering if I could extract any ancestral info from my Y hap. FTDNA has dedicated Y tests, but they are pretty pricey. Are they worth it?

You could do the R2 panel test at YSEQ for just USD88 so not that pricey,

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=56748

how much further information you derive is impossible to predict in advance. The branch is about 8k years old and on YFull has plenty of Saudi samples on it

https://yfull.com/tree/R-V3714/

To get onto the YFull tree directly you need to do a more expensive sequencing test but you could just do the test above and match yourself manually.

Awan01
10-04-2021, 08:58 AM

Hi, I did the full panel with FTDNA a while back and it was worth it. Reason being was I was getting nowhere with the individual tests even though there was lots of support on these forums, for which I am grateful. Turned out doing the full panel gave me answers... and a lot of questions :) I found a new branch off R2 and as yet still waiting for the R2 tree to grow further as no doubt things will change as more data emerges. That said, for now I don't really fit anywhere apart from potentially being from an ancient branch so lots of answers still to come. The full panel, while pricy no doubt, was useful. Now I just have to wait and continue researching. Let us know how you get on!