PDA

View Full Version : About Anatolian Turks

runca
08-18-2021, 07:06 AM
Genetically speaking, who would qualify to be an Anatolian Turk and what percentage of Turkish people would qualify to be counted as an Anatolian Turk?

Andre
08-18-2021, 07:15 AM
It don’t exist a “genetically criteria” to identify an anatolian turks. To be an anatolian turk you should just born in anatolian and identify as turkish. For example yörük turks can be 20% east asian admixed and Trabzon turks 0%. So which one it’s a true anatolian Turk?

P.s by saying “east asian” I don’t mean turkmen-like admix, but only the east asian part of the mixture. Probably medieval turks arrived in anatolia were 25-50% east asian.

runca
08-18-2021, 07:36 AM
It don’t exist a “genetically criteria” to identify an anatolian turks. To be an anatolian turk you should just born in anatolian and identify as turkish. For example yörük turks can be 20% east asian admixed and Trabzon turks 0%. So which one it’s a true anatolian Turk?

I also think the same as you. For example, if a person is born and raised in Anatolia and identifies as such, then he or she is an Anatolian Turk by definition but I have been told that things are different when it comes to genetic research. For example, all my gransparents migrated to Turkey from Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina. My mother, my father and I were born in İstanbul. However, I have been told that even if I have done a DNA test, I would not be eligible to provide my test results to represent Turkish DNA.

Cazu
08-18-2021, 04:54 PM
This forum is about anthro-genetics, things are disgussed in regards to that. In short no you are not Anatolian Turkish, not even ethnic Turkish on genetical point of view, cause your all known ancestry is non-Turk and non-Anatolian. There are German Turks living in Germany for 3 generations yet all of their ancesry from Turkey, have German citizenship some even cannot speak Turkish, Atheists, are we going to include them in ethnic German averages, how ridiculous it would be. On the other hand if all your ancestry really from Sarajevo you can be included in Bosniak-Bosnian(?) averages. Maybe after some generations your ofsprings can be considered Turkish, but it is not now. A cathegory called “Bosniak_Turkey” can work too for now.

runca
08-19-2021, 10:41 AM
This forum is about anthro-genetics, things are disgussed in regards to that. In short no you are not Anatolian Turkish, not even ethnic Turkish on genetical point of view, cause your all known ancestry is non-Turk and non-Anatolian. There are German Turks living in Germany for 3 generations yet all of their ancesry from Turkey, have German citizenship some even cannot speak Turkish, Atheists, are we going to include them in ethnic German averages, how ridiculous it would be. On the other hand if all your ancestry really from Sarajevo you can be included in Bosniak-Bosnian(?) averages. Maybe after some generations your ofsprings can be considered Turkish, but it is not now. A cathegory called “Bosniak_Turkey” can work too for now.

Okay, but the situation of Turks of Bosniak descent and Turks living in Germany are different from each other. Turks of Bosniak descent have always been seen as a part of Turkic etho-cultural sphere but on the other hand, I am not sure whether Turks living in Germany are seen as a part of Germanic ethno-cultural sphere or not.

runca
08-19-2021, 10:52 AM

But in terms of anthro-genetics, you are right. Anthro-genetics do not take historical relationships into account.