PDA

View Full Version : Iím taking an Ancestry DNA test, what do you think my results may be?

Aimik123
08-27-2021, 11:30 PM
As the title states Iím taking an Ancestry DNA test. I belong to the Acholi people of South Sudan on both sides of my family. On my motherís side, her Great-Great Grandfather is said to have come from even farther up North somewhere in the interior of South Sudan perhaps. Just for clarityís sake, Acholi people inhabit both the southernmost region of South Sudan and regions of Northern Uganda. What do you guys think might show up in my results if you could guess, given the information Iíve provided. Personally, Iím hoping and expecting to cluster with other Nilotic groups in South Sudan. Though realistically, with how different we tend to look from some of our more Northern neighbours like the Dinka and Nuer, Iím expecting that thereís probably some Bantu admixture in there too.

Side note: I was wondering what you guys think about privacy regarding these Ancestry testing companies?
Also, Iím a complete layman in this field so excuse me for any ignorance, I am more than willing and happy to learn.

mpatsibihugu89
08-28-2021, 05:02 PM
As the title states I’m taking an Ancestry DNA test. I belong to the Acholi people of South Sudan on both sides of my family. On my mother’s side, her Great-Great Grandfather is said to have come from even farther up North somewhere in the interior of South Sudan perhaps. Just for clarity’s sake, Acholi people inhabit both the southernmost region of South Sudan and regions of Northern Uganda. What do you guys think might show up in my results if you could guess, given the information I’ve provided. Personally, I’m hoping and expecting to cluster with other Nilotic groups in South Sudan. Though realistically, with how different we tend to look from some of our more Northern neighbours like the Dinka and Nuer, I’m expecting that there’s probably some Bantu admixture in there too.

Side note: I was wondering what you guys think about privacy regarding these Ancestry testing companies?
Also, I’m a complete layman in this field so excuse me for any ignorance, I am more than willing and happy to learn.

I recommend taking 23andme as it has a Sudanese region which Ancestry doesn't have. You can do both also. But if I had to pick one, I would go with 23andme. I can't speak to privacy as that is not something I'm concerned about. I will let the other members give you more insights.