PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding my V13 variants

MrandMrsH
10-07-2021, 11:11 AM
Hi all, I am in no way knowledgeable about haplogroups and genetics so I need a little education right now.

LivingDNA have given me my haplogroup as E-V13 and my terminal SNPs as "L142.1, L542/PF2220, Page102, PF2211/V13, PF2210/V36" which on the ISOGG tree equates to E1b1b1a1b1a.

On SNP Tracker this gives my V13 location in the Albania region.

However, I also have CTS5856 (I have no other SNPs I can see below this) which ISOGG puts me as E1b1b1a1b1 and so, I presume, 'earlier' than E1b1b1a1b1a, but this SNP appears as a subclade of V13 on the phylo tree? Also, SNP Tracker places CTS5856 further along the migration path in the Slovenia region.

This seems a little confusing to me - which is the correct interpretation of where 'I' originate?

Finally, I can trace my male line back to my 8th great-grandfather and his marriage in 1673 in Derbyshire, England and each subsequent birth (except mine) within 20 miles radius, so pretty settled. My surname is post-Norman conquest patronymic and likely Germanic in origin. LivingDNA says I'm 97% English (primarily Central England ie Derbyshire) and 3% South Germanic.....

.... so a couple of questions,

would I be right in thinking my ancestors route to England could be from CTS5856 appearing in Slovenia, maybe up to Austria, through Germany, to France/Belgium finally crossing the Channel around 1000 years or so ago?

And, a general haplogroup question - why do I have no further downstream variants? What causes the variations to stop happening?

Many thanks for any help you can give, it will be much appreciated.

Aspar
10-07-2021, 11:29 AM
I have some STR matches with the Wright clan of which the Wright brothers are the most famous members and who are E-S7461. Before I tested SNP I thought I might be close relative to them and one of them even contacted me.
He told me the exact same story that their family history is one of arrival with the Normans. However after he got the yDNA results he wasn't so sure about that anymore and was thinking if his yDNA is a Roman legacy from Dardanian Balkan troops.

However after learning quite a lot in this field I believe that much of the E-V13 in the isles could indeed be a Norman legacy.

For you to find out more I suggest you a Big Y-700. It's one of the best tests on the market that can help find lot more than a simple Living DNA test can offer.