PDA

View Full Version : Facial reconstructions of North African peoples.

Adamm
11-18-2021, 04:03 PM
This thread will be dedicated to post facial reconstructions of North-African populations.

I will start with this one which was posted today:

"Facial reconstruction of an Egyptian from Thebes, dated to the 18th Dynasty. "

https://i.imgur.com/MQ1nlPo.png

mokordo
11-18-2021, 06:22 PM
From 1550 to 1290 BC, including the "famous" Tutankhamun, Akhenaton (Amenhotep/Amenophis IV), Nefertiti or Hatshepsut.

Adamm
11-18-2021, 10:55 PM
"Mechtoid facial reconstruction belonging to the Iberomaurusian culture (late paleolithic/mesolithic) found in Oran (western Algeria)."

https://i.imgur.com/YmWyvd6.png

sami15
11-18-2021, 11:04 PM
"Mechtoid facial reconstruction belonging to the Iberomaurusian culture (late paleolithic/mesolithic) found in Oran (western Algeria)."

Source ?

Adamm
11-18-2021, 11:08 PM
Source ?

https://ancestralwhispers.org/

Michalis Moriopoulos
11-18-2021, 11:48 PM

Interestingly enough, this does look very close to the reconstruction Philip Edwin did...

https://i.imgur.com/YQ7sart.jpg

Kale
11-19-2021, 05:59 AM
https://ancestralwhispers.org/

Cool site, I'm not seeing the ones posted here on there though, am I missing something?

thejkhan
11-19-2021, 07:12 AM

Looks kind of like Native Amerindians (pic without facial hair).

Adamm
11-19-2021, 07:34 AM
Cool site, I'm not seeing the ones posted here on there though, am I missing something?

It hasn't been published yet, maybe today or tomorrow.

Adamm
11-19-2021, 09:50 AM
Aterian male (paleolithic) from Morocco:

"The Aterians were a Middle Paleolithic people whose oldest remains are found in North Africa. Their lithic industry however, was found in other regions like East Africa, Sahara and Oman. Aterians had very massive, robust skulls. This specimen had a cranial length of 198, cranial breadth of 149 and basion bregma height of 141. Due to the thickness of their skulls, their cranial capacity is estimated to be slightly lower than the Upper Paleolithic average."

https://i.imgur.com/vICAzkW.png

Guanche from the Canary Islands:

https://i.imgur.com/8QuHtZm.png

mokordo
11-19-2021, 11:11 AM
Guanche from the Canary Islands:

g]

He could be a current man from Canary islands of those who still have traits of the original natives.

Adamm
11-19-2021, 01:47 PM
Upper paleolithic Egyptian from the Nazlet Khater site:

"The Nazlet Khater 2 skeleton possesses two plesiomorphic features in its mandible, which are not found among coeval, anatomically modern, humans. This suggests that the ancestors of the specimen may have interbred with neighboring late archaic humans."

https://i.imgur.com/3RxhCRr.png

Luso
11-19-2021, 09:30 PM
Very cool! Id assume they were able to test the snps of the sample to know what pigmentation etc? Ancient North African civilization is super interesting… I believe before the massive cataclysm that happened around 12.8k yrs ago there may have been civilization in North Africa that was very advanced of which we probably will never have the chance to learn about.

Sranançao
11-20-2021, 10:48 AM
Very cool! Id assume they were able to test the snps of the sample to know what pigmentation etc? Ancient North African civilization is super interesting… I believe before the massive cataclysm that happened around 12.8k yrs ago there may have been civilization in North Africa that was very advanced of which we probably will never have the chance to learn about.

I don't think most of these facial reconstructions take pigmentation and soft tissue into account. Because for the most part we just don't have that information. The head shape is mostly accurate but most soft tissue features will be artistic interpetation. Which is why most reconstructions shouldn't be seen as very scientific. But this is very interesting and cool.

thejkhan
11-20-2021, 11:16 AM
"The Nazlet Khater 2 skeleton possesses two plesiomorphic features in its mandible, which are not found among coeval, anatomically modern, humans. This suggests that the ancestors of the specimen may have interbred with neighboring late archaic humans."

Has to be Neanderthal, right? Which means Humans did interbreed with Neanderthals around this region (Egypt, Levant).

Adamm
11-20-2021, 02:39 PM
I don't think most of these facial reconstructions take pigmentation and soft tissue into account. Because for the most part we just don't have that information. The head shape is mostly accurate but most soft tissue features will be artistic interpetation. Which is why most reconstructions shouldn't be seen as very scientific. But this is very interesting and cool.

Actually pigmentation is based upon Hirisplex results of the samples.

Per example for the Iberomaurusian:

"Two derived allele variants in the SLC24A5 gene associated with predicting light-skin color in individuals with European and South Asian (Indian, Pakistani) ancestry are rs1426654 (derived state A, ancestral state G (94)) and rs16891982 (derived state G, ancestral state C (95)). Individuals with a homozygous derived state for both these SNPs have been found in early Neolithic populations (Anatolia, Europe) (16)). Our results show that these derived alleles are absent in the Taforalt individuals analyzed; all of them have a homozygous ancestral genotype for both SNPs."
"For all the Taforalt individuals we find a homozygous ancestral genotype GG, predictive of brown eye color. In addition, all individuals show the ancestral GG genotype for SNP rs12896399 located in the SLC24A4 gene, providing further support for dark eye pigmentation (93)."

Adamm
11-20-2021, 02:41 PM
Guanche from the Canary Islands (IronAge/ModernAge):

"Adult male from Anaza Santa cruz de Tenerife (north-eastern Tenerife)."

https://i.imgur.com/Sqf21AL.png

Cabaon
11-20-2021, 05:53 PM

I do agree for soft tissues but for pigmentation we do have some datas :

The results reveal that this individual likely was lactose intolerant and had brown eyes, dark hair, and light or medium skin color. These results are similar for the other individuals where SNP information is available, albeit with lower coverage, suggesting that—at least for this sample of Guanches—the dominating phenotype was lactose intolerant, dark hair, light or medium skin color, and brown eyes (Table S4).

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(17)31257-5#secsectitle0025

Cabaon
11-20-2021, 05:54 PM
Guanche from the Canary Islands (IronAge/ModernAge):

"Adult male from Anaza Santa cruz de Tenerife (north-eastern Tenerife)."

https://i.imgur.com/Sqf21AL.png

Not really accurate except for the general facial structure the rest doesn't really look north african

Adamm
11-20-2021, 06:15 PM
Not really accurate except for the general facial structure the rest doesn't really look north african

Well that's probably because this skull is pretty robust which isn't an average type of North African phenotype, but nevertheless I've seen enough Moroccans who look like this guy. I would also add that 'the' North African look doesnt exist as North Africans are very diverse looks-wise.

Sranançao
11-20-2021, 07:17 PM
Oh I know we have the DNA of some specimens from the Iberomaurusians and Guanches. It was more of a commentary on reconstructions in general.

Lets take the Nazlet Khater skeleton for example it showed the strongest affinities with ancient and to a lesser extent iron age individuals from South Africa. It's inner ear structure was similar to UP Europeans and there were some similarities between oase. Another study shows it clusters with early Holocene East Africans. And probably formed part of a population that isn't represented by any extant group. And the reconstruction just looks vaguely Native American or ancient European with straight hair etc? Why does the Aterian individual have wavy hair? In the past there were people that had a combination of traits not found in present day populations. That is hard to reconstruct in this manner and by non scientists.

Adamm
11-30-2021, 05:38 PM
Capsian skull (EN) from Aïn Meterchem Tunis.

https://i.imgur.com/uYboZ2P.png

Adamm
12-05-2021, 03:08 PM
Another Capsian from Tunis (neolithic):

https://i.imgur.com/1JlU6p7.png

Riverman
12-05-2021, 03:17 PM
Another Capsian from Tunis (neolithic):

They are nearly identical, the first being just darker and slightly more SSA. Wonder whether that's based on actual genetic and/or morphological differences.

Adamm
12-05-2021, 03:24 PM
They are nearly identical, the first being just darker and slightly more SSA. Wonder whether that's based on actual genetic and/or morphological differences.

I have no idea but the designer of these reconstructions did mention some methods he used, though these 2 skulls are different and from different locations but both from neolithic Tunis belonging to the Capsian culture.

Cabaon
12-05-2021, 03:42 PM

I think it might be accurate ; if I remember correctly some capsian remains had some SSA traits.

Ignis90
12-05-2021, 06:52 PM
Soft tissues and pigmentation ignored, there are several instances of SSA traits in pre-modern Holocene North African specimens. So there might be some truth to it. Would also explain why Chalcolithic North Africans from Southern Europe had non-ANA/non-Taforalt-related African ancestry, in addition to Taforalt ancestry of course.

As for the location of the Aïn Meterchem skeleton, it is actually from the more core region of the Capsian industry, if I am not wrong, between Kasserine and Théveste (Tébessa):

Mnemonics
12-06-2021, 03:51 AM
Soft tissues and pigmentation ignored, there are several instances of SSA traits in pre-modern Holocene North African specimens. So there might be some truth to it. Would also explain why Chalcolithic North Africans from Southern Europe had non-ANA/non-Taforalt-related African ancestry, in addition to Taforalt ancestry of course.

As for the location of the Aïn Meterchem skeleton, it is actually from the more core region of the Capsian industry, if I am not wrong, between Kasserine and Théveste (Tébessa):

I4246 and I15940 the two European North Africans seem to have some sort of Northeast African admixture similar to what is present in Kulubnarti and the Egyptians ( BA Levant + Kenya_PastoralN related admixture) which is probably what is responsible for non-Taforalt African affinity.

Individual Samples

Target: Iberia_Central_CA_Afr:I4246
Distance: 1.7427% / 0.01742703 | ADC: 0.25x RC
32.8 Iberia_N
28.4 Sudan_MA_Kulubnarti
17.6 MAR_Taforalt
15.2 MAR_LN
6.0 Canary_Islands_Guanche

Target: ITA_Sardinia_C_o:I15940
Distance: 2.3589% / 0.02358862 | ADC: 0.25x RC
38.0 MAR_Taforalt
26.2 Iberia_N
24.2 Sudan_MA_Kulubnarti
11.2 Levant_PPNC
0.4 Canary_Islands_Guanche

Averages (Unscaled)

Target: ITA_Sardinia_C_o
Distance: 1.5351% / 0.01535108 | R5P | ADC: 0.25x RC
43.6 MAR_Taforalt
26.0 Bell_Beaker_ITA_o
13.4 Levant_Yehud_IBA
9.2 UKR_N_o
7.8 KEN_Pastoral_N_o

Target: Iberia_Central_CA_Afr
Distance: 1.3640% / 0.01364018 | R5P | ADC: 0.25x RC
33.6 ITA_Sardinia_ECA
25.4 MAR_EN
18.0 Levant_Yehud_IBA
11.6 KEN_HyraxHill_2300BP
11.4 Iberia_Southwest_EN

Averages (Scaled)

Distance: 2.9902% / 0.02990152 | R5P
42.0 MAR_Taforalt
30.2 UKR_N_o
14.2 Levant_PPNC
9.6 KEN_Pastoral_N_o
4.0 UGA_Munsa_500BP

Distance: 2.3520% / 0.02352037 | R5P
35.8 Iberia_Southwest_EN
24.0 MAR_EN
23.4 Levant_PPNC
10.6 TZA_PN
6.2 COG_Kindoki_230BP

Adamm
12-06-2021, 05:31 AM
I4246 and I15940 the two European North Africans seem to have some sort of Northeast African admixture similar to what is present in Kulubnarti and the Egyptians ( BA Levant + Kenya_PastoralN related admixture) which is probably what is responsible for non-Taforalt African affinity.

Individual Samples

Target: Iberia_Central_CA_Afr:I4246
Distance: 1.7427% / 0.01742703 | ADC: 0.25x RC
32.8 Iberia_N
28.4 Sudan_MA_Kulubnarti
17.6 MAR_Taforalt
15.2 MAR_LN
6.0 Canary_Islands_Guanche

Target: ITA_Sardinia_C_o:I15940
Distance: 2.3589% / 0.02358862 | ADC: 0.25x RC
38.0 MAR_Taforalt
26.2 Iberia_N
24.2 Sudan_MA_Kulubnarti
11.2 Levant_PPNC
0.4 Canary_Islands_Guanche

Averages

Distance: 1.5351% / 0.01535108 | R5P | ADC: 0.25x RC
43.6 MAR_Taforalt
26.0 Bell_Beaker_ITA_o
13.4 Levant_Yehud_IBA
9.2 UKR_N_o
7.8 KEN_Pastoral_N_o

Distance: 1.3640% / 0.01364018 | R5P | ADC: 0.25x RC
33.6 ITA_Sardinia_ECA
25.4 MAR_EN
18.0 Levant_Yehud_IBA
11.6 KEN_HyraxHill_2300BP
11.4 Iberia_Southwest_EN

Interesting indeed, they get way better fits with these east african samples as proxy than with west african, how would that ancestry arrived there? Through green sahara? Because pre-Chalcolithic N. Africans did not have that, nor the EN or LN Moroccan samples.

Mnemonics
12-06-2021, 06:57 AM
Interesting indeed, they get way better fits with these east african samples as proxy than with west african, how would that ancestry arrived there? Through green sahara? Because pre-Chalcolithic N. Africans did not have that, nor the EN or LN Moroccan samples.

I think the Levant_BA-like and Kenya_PastoralN related admixture points to admixture from somewhere in Northeast Africa which could mean that these samples are part of some admixed Libyan population that formed as a result of contact with Sudan/Egypt.

We could also be seeing this admixture as a result migrations of proto-Berber speakers from Northeast Africa (possibly from somewhere along the Nile) during the Chalcolithic.

Are there any other Chalcolithic North Africans that lack this admixture?

Adamm
12-06-2021, 08:04 AM
I think the Levant_BA-like and Kenya_PastoralN related admixture points to admixture from somewhere in Northeast Africa which could mean that these samples are part of some admixed Libyan population that formed as a result of contact with Sudan/Egypt.

We could also be seeing this admixture as a result migrations of proto-Berber speakers from Northeast Africa (possibly from somewhere along the Nile) during the Chalcolithic.

Are there any other Chalcolithic North African that lack this admixture?

We only have 2 North African Chalcolithic / Copper age samples from Iberia and Sardinia, everything that predates these samples dont have this kind of admixture or genetic-profile, the goes for everything that comes after it. Too bad there aren't a lot of ancient samples from North Africa.

Ignis90
12-06-2021, 11:35 AM

Are there any other Chalcolithic North Africans that lack this admixture?

That's also my opinion, although things can be more complex in reality. There is in any case the need of a more Eastern population to model Berbers, especially going East, where the simple Anatolian + Taforalt is far from enough.

If this is indeed related to proto-Berber migrating from the Nile Valley, I am very curious about those instances of Southern Moroccans with very high Taforalt (and high Anatolian) but low Levant_BA and Dinka-like affinity.
Maybe a case of language shift without much geneflow or just a resurgence/persistence of hunter-gatherers in some areas. That wouldn't be too crazy, as Berber languages are not very diverged from each other, and some late Berberization might have occurred, especially in the far West and the Sahara. Again, the territory is huge and varied.

This opinion wasn't very liked in some other forums when I shared it, and instead the main simplistic view was that high Iberomaurusian ancestry is thought to make some modern Maghrebi populations (Soussis and some Saharaouis) more Berber than others.
As I always thought, the East is where the answer lies (but not too much to the East, ie not the out of Levant fantasy).

Anyway, separate and later geneflows might explain a non Kulubnarti-like African affinity, a West African-related affinity that does exist in moderns, in my opinion at least partially before the colonization of the Canary islands.

Philjames
12-06-2021, 02:28 PM
These are not scientific reconstructions, the creator eyeballs a photo of a skull and creates a 'reconstruction' based on what he thinks it would have looked like using photo collage and manipulation programs.

Cabaon
12-06-2021, 02:35 PM
These are not scientific reconstructions, the creator eyeballs a photo of a skull and creates a 'reconstruction' based on what he thinks it would have looked like using photo collage and manipulation programs.

that's what he says about his methodology :

The reconstruction method that we're using is largely based on Gerasimov's 1955 book, which provides data with soft tissue estimations, possible nose shapes based on the nose bridge of the skull, plenty of cranial measurements as well their reconstructions with detailed explanation. Gerasimov's book was revolutionary for the time, and ever since then his students have been perfecting the method, while up to date technology allowed us to predict soft tissue thickness with even better precision.

and then he provides a demonstration with a Sunghir skull :

https://ancestralwhispers.org/our-projects

Riverman
12-06-2021, 02:54 PM
His method and results are in any case better than those of most reconstructions I saw up to this point, actually by a lot. Many others are either off on the soft tissue and other traits, or they look lifeless and too artificial.

Adamm
12-06-2021, 03:13 PM
His method and results are in any case better than those of most reconstructions I saw up to this point, actually by a lot. Many others are either off on the soft tissue and other traits, or they look lifeless and too artificial.

+ he also uses Hirisplex results when available.

Per example this Iberomaurusian/Mechtoid reconstruction is wrong:

https://i.imgur.com/QtvkwrA.png

There is no way an Iberomaurusian was pale skinned person, reliance upon hirisplex results makes a reconstruction way more realistic.

Philjames
12-06-2021, 08:24 PM
that's what he says about his methodology :

and then he provides a demonstration with a Sunghir skull :

https://ancestralwhispers.org/our-projects

As it says there the 'reconstructions' are actually made with a 'GAN' program that merges photos of existing people and then photoshop, it's not actually generated by data but rather the guy's use of photo programs.

Hitchcock
12-06-2021, 08:39 PM
All this reconstructions are unreliable

Riverman
12-06-2021, 09:13 PM

Depends which part is unreliable. Some soft part aspects might be, other morphological and proportional are not. The guy on https://ancestralwhispers.org/ did a fairly good job. As for the soft parts, it depends on which aspect again, like the nose can be generally reliably reconstructed, but finer details not. For pigmentation and hair, there are sometimes already genetic hints, both from the population in question as a whole and sometimes even the individuals, like the likelihood of having blue eyes or very fair skin.

NetNomad
12-07-2021, 02:11 PM

The reconstructions done by certified professionals are also never completely reliable either. It is an art and not a real science.

For laughs, check out Danny Vendramini's reconstruction of Neanderthals.

Adamm
12-08-2021, 05:44 PM
Female remain of an Iberomaurusian from the Epipalaeolithic/Mesolithic era found in the ’Afalou bou Rhumel site.

https://i.imgur.com/ohQcH39.png
https://i.imgur.com/fFN7avD.png

Nebuchadnezzar II
12-09-2021, 03:27 PM
For those interested:

In a separate thread, I was wondering aloud about the relation between predynastic/dynastic Egyptian remains and modern Egyptians, the latter being strangely absent as a reference group in the literature of craniometric analyses of the ancients.

A poster provided evidence suggesting that, over the dynastic period, Egyptian samples trended towards a more 'Northern' phenotype over a 'Southern' one that characterized some of the influential predynastic cultures such as the Badarian and Naqada horizons. This was said to be a result of northern influx into Upper Egypt throughout the course of the dynastic period.

I did a literature dive and managed to track down some of the source publications and discovered some interesting results relating to my original question. In the 1972 paper, "On the Craniological Study of Egyptians in various periods" by M.F Gaballah et al, with reference to the works of both Batrawi 1946 and Sidney Smith 1926, it is said that the available series of modern Egyptian skulls conform more closely with the Southern phenotype that characterized the predynastic and early dynastic cultures of Upper Egypt such as the Naqada.

A number of caveats apply, such as the small sample sizes and antiquated methods of analysis such as Batrawi's use of the Coefficient of Racial Likeness, aside from general scepticism that one should apply to craniometrics.

However, I think it's remarkable that A.) this is, as far as I know, a finding that is rarely mentioned in craniometric discussions and B.) seems to conform with the (tentative) finding that modern Egyptians seem to harbour a tad more African ancestry than their Dynastic ancestors - the caveat here is that this does not ipso facto require the modern Egyptian phenotype to be more shifted toward tropical Africans.

Interesting nonetheless that an analysis of Modern Egyptians finds them to more closely resemble Predynastic "Southern" variation rather than the more Northern-shifted Dynastic series.

Cabaon
12-09-2021, 04:25 PM
For those interested:

In a separate thread, I was wondering aloud about the relation between predynastic/dynastic Egyptian remains and modern Egyptians, the latter being strangely absent as a reference group in the literature of craniometric analyses of the ancients.

A poster provided evidence suggesting that, over the dynastic period, Egyptian samples trended towards a more 'Northern' phenotype over a 'Southern' one that characterized some of the influential predynastic cultures such as the Badarian and Naqada horizons. This was said to be a result of northern influx into Upper Egypt throughout the course of the dynastic period.

I did a literature dive and managed to track down some of the source publications and discovered some interesting results relating to my original question. In the 1972 paper, "On the Craniological Study of Egyptians in various periods" by M.F Gaballah et al, with reference to the works of both Batrawi 1946 and Sidney Smith 1926, it is said that the available series of modern Egyptian skulls conform more closely with the Southern phenotype that characterized the predynastic and early dynastic cultures of Upper Egypt such as the Naqada.

A number of caveats apply, such as the small sample sizes and antiquated methods of analysis such as Batrawi's use of the Coefficient of Racial Likeness, aside from general scepticism that one should apply to craniometrics.

However, I think it's remarkable that A.) this is, as far as I know, a finding that is rarely mentioned in craniometric discussions and B.) seems to conform with the (tentative) finding that modern Egyptians seem to harbour a tad more African ancestry than their Dynastic ancestors - the caveat here is that this does not ipso facto require the modern Egyptian phenotype to be more shifted toward tropical Africans.

Interesting nonetheless that an analysis of Modern Egyptians finds them to more closely resemble Predynastic "Southern" variation rather than the more Northern-shifted Dynastic series.

Thanks man it's been quite some time I was trying to find how modern egyptians relate to the ancient ones when it comes to craniometry. I was quite certain modern upper egyptians would already be very similar to the badarian/nagadan samples and that like the latter would have shown affinities with other north-east african populations.

Michalis Moriopoulos
01-13-2022, 11:32 AM
Wadi Halfa Mesolithic:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FI6pcfWXsAAW3rc?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

nee4speed111
01-13-2022, 11:42 AM
Wadi Halfa Mesolithic:

What a interesting head shape, facially he almost looks like Dwayne Johnson, just darker.

Aben Aboo
01-13-2022, 02:23 PM
deleted

Mnemonics
01-14-2022, 03:27 AM
Wadi Halfa Mesolithic:

Is that reconstruction based on the incredible distinctive looking Mesolithic Sudanese skull.

J Man
01-14-2022, 06:44 PM
What a interesting head shape, facially he almost looks like Dwayne Johnson, just darker.

The original cone head lol! :lol:

Sabz
01-14-2022, 10:42 PM
Hi where was this Mesolithic Sudanese Skull found? Do you have any links to the research paper? Thanks in advance.

Riverman
01-15-2022, 01:12 PM
Hi where was this Mesolithic Sudanese Skull found? Do you have any links to the research paper? Thanks in advance.

One of the questions to ask is whether his skull had regular sutures or not, because while ancients could be very dolichocranic, he looks more extreme. This could be normal variation, but it could also be pathological, which would be better visible in the profile. Like there are various forms of craniosynostosis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosynostosis

Its not that extreme to be sure, especially not for ancients which could still differ in skull shape, but its something which should be considered and checked. There is also variation in this respect which isn't considered pathological per se, but still at the fringes and extraordinary. One another example would be some pharaonic dynasties.

Yet another possibility would be artificial head deformation:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/how-we-do-it/201907/strange-head-shapes-revisiting-nefertiti-akhenaten-and-tut

This just means there are various options from normal ancient variation, to a fringe variant of normal variation or pathological forms and finally to artificial deformation as a cultural practise.

Adamm
03-25-2022, 04:14 PM
Facial reconstruction of a forager from Mali with Iberomaurusian affinities. (Hasi al abiob)

https://i.imgur.com/vDNt4ZF.png

Geographic location:

https://i.imgur.com/2vXXjqF.png

beyoku
03-25-2022, 07:02 PM
This skeleton also had affinities with Younger Upper Nile Valley ones. It was assumed to be an early Western branch of an Eastern Saharan/Nile group.
Becker 2011 i think. I think....and also the Garamante....Efthymia Nikita et al, dont know which year.

Gentica277282
05-02-2022, 01:43 PM
Interestingly enough, this does look very close to the reconstruction Philip Edwin did...

https://i.imgur.com/YQ7sart.jpg

You both look similar

Gentica277282
05-02-2022, 01:44 PM
Female remain of an Iberomaurusian from the Epipalaeolithic/Mesolithic era found in the ’Afalou bou Rhumel site.

https://i.imgur.com/ohQcH39.png
https://i.imgur.com/fFN7avD.png

The nose seems to be a defining feature

Riverman
05-03-2022, 01:38 PM
The nose seems to be a defining feature

Interestingly, nose and jaws in particular have some American Indian vibes for me. I'm not suggesting a genetic connection, but it could point to some parallels. They are in any case very robust boned individuals.

Mithridates VI Eupator
05-29-2022, 02:07 PM
Pretty much looks like modern people of NW Africa.

Ignis90
05-29-2022, 04:10 PM
Pretty much looks like modern people of NW Africa.

Historical specimens of the last 3500 years, yes indeed, most likely. Older than that, I'd say no. Even Capsians, which are described as [proto-] Mediterraneans are most likely too varied.
And this doesn't even touches on soft tissues and pigmentation.