PDA

View Full Version : Turkish people: How many non-Turkish matches do you have?

Suri
11-28-2021, 03:05 PM
Hey there to all the Turkish posters on here!

I have been really diving in to my mothers matches and am kinda wondering why she has so relatively few Turkish matches (We tested with MyHeritage and I have our data on GEDMatch and FTDNA). most of her matches are either Greek(-American) or other random Europeans. There is also a big group of European Romani matches. Some Armenians, Iranians and Russians. The Turkish matches are almost all from her Cypriot grandfathers side and pretty much only very few mainland Turks.
Now, most matches in general are very distant. So I was wondering if the lack of Turkish people on there is because so few have taken a DNA test and other Turks have this same issue… or if my mother is of mainly non-Turkish ancestry.
The e-devlet family tree was useless for me because it stopped at my great-grandparents, so the paper trail isn't there to compare.
Would love to get a better idea of what other Turkish peoples matches look like.

Onur Dincer
11-30-2021, 05:04 AM
Hi Suri,

Can you explain briefly the known ancestry/paper trail of your mother? That can help us better answer your questions.

Liquid
12-05-2021, 11:05 PM
There's just not enough Turkish people taking these tests, I only have 20 Turkish matches out the 500 or so who specified a location, 3/4 of those are definite distant cousins as they are from the same villages, so that's great, but most are very distant Europeans and Americans.

Suri
12-10-2021, 12:45 AM
Hi Suri,

Can you explain briefly the known ancestry/paper trail of your mother? That can help us better answer your questions.

Sure!
This is what I know of her four grandparents:

Both of her grandmothers were born in Taşucu. One is said to have ancestry from "Russia" (could be the Caucasus region or even Kars under Russian rule) and the other had a father who is said to have either been from Lebanon or Egypt. Who knows if those claims are true though.
Of her grandfathers one was born in Akçakale (Urfa) and the other was a Turkish Cypriot from the Karpaz Peninsula.
With the matches I was expecting more Eastern Turkish matches and more people from Mersin and Silifke. But there are just a handful people from around Elâzığ and some from the West coast, mainly Izmir and all the other Turks in her matches are Cypriots. Overall they make up only a small percentage of the matches and for some reason the ones who aren't Cypriots seem to be quite distant. It honestly confuses me but looking at the other reply in here it might just be the lack of Turks who are testing.

Suri
12-10-2021, 12:48 AM
There's just not enough Turkish people taking these tests, I only have 20 Turkish matches out the 500 or so who specified a location, 3/4 of those are definite distant cousins as they are from the same villages, so that's great, but most are very distant Europeans and Americans.

yeah, that's what I was thinking but I just wanted to check if it is like this for other Turkish people as well. How many Centimorgans do you generally share with the European and American matches if you don't mind me asking?

Onur Dincer
12-10-2021, 04:54 AM
Sure!
This is what I know of her four grandparents:

Both of her grandmothers were born in Taşucu. One is said to have ancestry from "Russia" (could be the Caucasus region or even Kars under Russian rule) and the other had a father who is said to have either been from Lebanon or Egypt. Who knows if those claims are true though.
Of her grandfathers one was born in Akçakale (Urfa) and the other was a Turkish Cypriot from the Karpaz Peninsula.
With the matches I was expecting more Eastern Turkish matches and more people from Mersin and Silifke. But there are just a handful people from around Elâzığ and some from the West coast, mainly Izmir and all the other Turks in her matches are Cypriots. Overall they make up only a small percentage of the matches and for some reason the ones who aren't Cypriots seem to be quite distant. It honestly confuses me but looking at the other reply in here it might just be the lack of Turks who are testing.

I see. In order for me to analyze your mother's results and matches, I would suggest that she join my FTDNA project, whose link is on my signature. Then I can provide a more comprehensive answer to your questions. For a better analysis, her other tested relatives (including you), if there are, can join too.

Liquid
12-11-2021, 01:56 AM
yeah, that's what I was thinking but I just wanted to check if it is like this for other Turkish people as well. How many Centimorgans do you generally share with the European and American matches if you don't mind me asking?

They start appearing at below 25 Centimorgans and there's a lot of them, I don't trust those results tbh, it's probably just noise in the DNA data