PDA

View Full Version : 23andMe "Relative Finder" Results

Humanist
09-01-2012, 08:15 PM
A thread to discuss Relative Finder results. Please feel free to contribute with experiences, updates, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------

First new RF match in a long while (ever since their price hike, it seems). Through both my father and mother's profile, so I presume this individual is at least part Assyrian. Here are the available details:

Y-DNA: J1e (J1-P58) <-- Not often observed in E Assyrians
mtDNA: J1b3

With my mother
3rd to 4th cousin
.43% shared
4 segments

With my father
3rd to distant cousin
.18% shared
2 segments

Scarlet Ibis
09-03-2012, 03:16 AM
I've been checking out the map feature, and I feel torn about its usefulness. On one hand, the US locations seem to be pretty decent at indicating regional ancestry. On the other hand, though, the Europe and Asia features are useless. For example, I have a huge chunk of Iberian results all from 1 single relative, who has a ton of family locations listed in his profile.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/23k3z87.jpg
http://oi49.tinypic.com/ri90lv.jpg
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2igc39c.jpg

History-of-Things
09-03-2012, 04:52 AM
My map lists, using the both sides/paternal side/not paternal side functions:

Both sides:
Top Locations

England, UK (12)
North Carolina, USA (12)
Virginia, USA (12)
New York, NY, USA (12)
Germany (10)
Ireland (10)
California, USA (9)
Kentucky, USA (9)

Father's side
Top Locations

California, USA (6)
Kentucky, USA (6)
North Carolina, USA (5)
Tennessee, USA (4)
Virginia, USA (4)
New York, NY, USA (4)
Ireland (4)
Ohio, USA (4)

Mother's side
Top Locations

England, UK (11)
Virginia, USA (8)
Germany (8)
New York, NY, USA (8)
North Carolina, USA (7)
Pennsylvania, USA (7)
London, UK (6)
Ireland (6)

I suppose this, taking into account movement to population centers in the 20th century, is a reasonable picture (New York City has little to do with my own family history but is notable in both sides, for example). Interestingly, the UK distribution has some resonance on my mother's side. On her paternal branch there is a strong Quaker presence, and we pop up with lots of North Midlands relatives which is what the history books might suggest. On her mother's side we of course knew about likely Lowland Scots families, and they definitely show up, but there is also a noticeable tight cluster around Inverness which makes me think a bit. The presence of Pennsylvania on mom's list but not on dad's list does reflect the different starting point of their families in the American colonies.

AJL
09-03-2012, 07:53 PM
I've been checking out the map feature, and I feel torn about its usefulness. On one hand, the US locations seem to be pretty decent at indicating regional ancestry.

This is a good point and it even has me thinking that regional ancestry in the US can be a good indicator of Old World ancestry, if you look at settlement patterns, because there are so many more Americans testing.

As an example, my Ashkenazi grandfather has his matches in New York City (66), Chicago (19), and L.A. (11); meanwhile, my mother has most of her matches in Texas (19), Virginia (17), North Carolina (16), and Georgia (14), consistent with her largely Scottish, Irish, and German genes.

Now if only I can figure out how my mother got three different relatives in Colombia!

Scarlet Ibis
09-03-2012, 09:51 PM
One of the problems I have with the feature is that people are obviously interpreting "family locations" to mean different things. To me, there should be some ancestral component. For example, if your ancestors have been living in a location for a certain amount of years, settled land there, etc.

Others, however, are apparently listing places where they, or their family members have lived for a short amount of time. For example, the Japan hits I have are actually not from my Korean side. They are "white" American relatives from my father's side who listed US military bases in Japan.

SC11
09-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Now if only I can figure out how my mother got three different relatives in Colombia!

Maybe from German immigrants to Latin america in the 19th and early 20th century?

AJL
09-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Maybe from German immigrants to Latin america in the 19th and early 20th century?

Yes, thanks, that does seem most likely.

AJL
10-01-2012, 02:25 AM
With 2,000 Relative Finder cousins, almost all shared with my grandfather, I sometimes think I will never learn anything new from RF.

Then, today, I noticed I have an 8.0-cM block shared with a Kazakh gentleman. His ancestry painting is very Central Asian. This block is not shared with my grandfather, nor his cousin. It's also not shared with my mother nor my maternal aunt. I can't help thinking this comes from my paternal grandmother's mother's family, more specifically the branch from Aleppo, Syria, then in the Ottoman Empire. This may wholly or partially tie in with the bits of North Asian/Siberian I get with various analyses, since there's a big spike of Northeast Asian (the green) exactly where we overlap, via Gedmatch's Dodecad.

I suspect it's a legacy of the silk trade.

Human
10-02-2012, 05:52 AM
AJL, that is amazing! It is little finds like these that make genetic genealogy so fascinating and intriguing to me. Thanks for sharing.

AJL
10-02-2012, 06:55 PM
My pleasure, Human!

Little bit
10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I think that the RF map clustering tool works pretty good for us. My mom has one Irish grandparent (N Ireland); one German grandparent; one English grandparent; and one American colonial grandparent. Here are her results:
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/th_Screenshot2012-10-03at62052AM.png (http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/?action=view&current=Screenshot2012-10-03at62052AM.png)
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/th_Screenshot2012-10-03at62226AM.png (http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/?action=view&current=Screenshot2012-10-03at62226AM.png)

Compare those results to those of my Polish Mother-in-law:
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/th_Screenshot2012-10-03at62458AM.png (http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/?action=view&current=Screenshot2012-10-03at62458AM.png)
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/th_Screenshot2012-10-03at62516AM.png (http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/?action=view&current=Screenshot2012-10-03at62516AM.png)

Even my grandfather, with the English mother and American colonial father works out: all English, no Irish which is correct:
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/th_Screenshot2012-10-03at62343AM.png (http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/?action=view&current=Screenshot2012-10-03at62343AM.png)

Yes, there are issues:
-Why does my Polish mother-in-law have so many Irish matches? 3 are her son, and 2 grandkids...but what about the 8 others? I've been reading about a large influx of Eastern European immigrants to Ireland during the boom - is this evidence of that?
-Where are all the UK matches for my mom? Seemingly none. They're there but you have to turn the clustering off.
-And what about me...why not show my results? Well, turns out I hit the 1000 mark quite some time ago and so I've been steadily losing all my smaller matches that I'm not sharing with. It does skew the results: I used to have markedly more L mtdna's than anyone in my group, which I attributed to my father's large colonial American who were slave owners. His surname is Curry and there were many documented Curry/Currie slave-owners. But now my L's are down to almost the same as everyone else's. I wish I could have seen my results prior to losing my small matches! Here's my results, truncated:
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/th_Screenshot2012-10-03at61920AM.png (http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae20/LB234/?action=view&current=Screenshot2012-10-03at61920AM.png)

AJL
10-05-2012, 04:37 PM
-Why does my Polish mother-in-law have so many Irish matches? 3 are her son, and 2 grandkids...but what about the 8 others? I've been reading about a large influx of Eastern European immigrants to Ireland during the boom - is this evidence of that?

It could simply be a case of New World demographics (certain US cities being more likely to have Polish and Irish in combination).

ilmari
10-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I think we all need to remember that certain groups have tested at a much higher rate.

My Norwegian friends get frustrated by all of their Finnish matches because they are unaware that the Finns are tested at a much higher percentage.

geebee
01-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Just to show that Relative Finder can work, just this past week I found someone who turns out to be a third cousin, once removed. She'd shown up as a public match, with a predicted relationship of 3rd to 5th cousin, with 0.84% shared in three segments. By a stroke of luck, I recognized one of her listed surnames.

Anyway, I sent her a message and we compared notes. She didn't have a lot of info, but with her father's name, his place and date of birth, and his father's name, I was able to find enough additional info at Ancestry.com to pinpoint point the relationship. She's the 3rd great granddaughter of a pair of my 2nd great grandparents -- or as I said, a 3rd cousin, once removed.

We'd never met or known anything about each other, but we'd both tested at 23andMe. So, again, RF can work. Of course, I have about a thousand RF cousins and only a handful of confirmed relationships. Still, it's always nice to uncover one! (And as it turns out in this case, she is not likely to be able to provide much new info to me, but it looks like I've been able to give a fair amount to her. Which is nice to be able to do -- even if it is really nice to get new info myself. ;) )

geebee
01-13-2013, 02:07 PM
That's pretty common in Pennsylvania, for example. Maybe not quite as common a combination as German and Scots-Irish, but still not at all unusual.

geebee
01-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Wow! I hadn't used the map clustering yet, but I can see it should prove useful. In a few seconds I found a relative of my "not father's side" -- unfortunately my mother is deceased as was never tested -- who just happens to be from her hometown of Biloxi, Mississippi. Since my maternal grandfather was from Ohio but my maternal grandmother's family was in Biloxi for generations, that narrows things down quite a bit.

Now, it further happens that three of my grandmother's grandparents were immigrants, but this cousin is predicted as 5th. So generally I should be related to almost anyone on her side of the family as a 3rd cousin or closer, unless they're either on that 4th grandparent's side, or they're "Old World" matches. Point is, even before I've sent a contact request, I have a pretty good idea of which one of my sixteen 2nd great grandparents to begin with.

Scarlet Ibis
01-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Just to show that Relative Finder can work, just this past week I found someone who turns out to be a third cousin, once removed. She'd shown up as a public match, with a predicted relationship of 3rd to 5th cousin, with 0.84% shared in three segments. By a stroke of luck, I recognized one of her listed surnames.

Anyway, I sent her a message and we compared notes. She didn't have a lot of info, but with her father's name, his place and date of birth, and his father's name, I was able to find enough additional info at Ancestry.com to pinpoint point the relationship. She's the 3rd great granddaughter of a pair of my 2nd great grandparents -- or as I said, a 3rd cousin, once removed.

We'd never met or known anything about each other, but we'd both tested at 23andMe. So, again, RF can work. Of course, I have about a thousand RF cousins and only a handful of confirmed relationships. Still, it's always nice to uncover one! (And as it turns out in this case, she is not likely to be able to provide much new info to me, but it looks like I've been able to give a fair amount to her. Which is nice to be able to do -- even if it is really nice to get new info myself. ;) )

I don't have anyone marked as "3rd cousin" on 23andme, but the ones I've seen on other people's accounts have always been real.

One of my ex-boyfriends took the test once, and got a 3rd cousin on there. It was real, as it was from his Italian grandparent, who had the same surname as the 3rd cousin (also from Italy).

He wasn't interested in DNA or genealogy, though, so he never really got in contact with his 3rd cousin.

geebee
01-14-2013, 07:45 AM
I actually have someone identified as a potential 2nd cousin. I thought I'd established the likely connection, but was informed that the couple I mentioned as a possibility had never had any children. However, I compared my potential cousin to another cousin on the same side of my family -- and lo and behold, the two of them had their own shared segment. So even if I identified the wrong couple as a link, it is nevertheless somewhere among their near relatives.

(The level of sharing between me and the potential 2nd cousin is 2.07%, in 9 segments. That has got to be real, even if the person does not turn out to be exactly a 2nd cousin.)

Humanist
02-06-2013, 02:27 AM
Likely at least part Assyrian.

Match with my maternal grandmother.
3rd to 5th Cousin
0.33% shared, 3 segments
mtDNA: U5a1
Y-DNA: T

Alanson
02-06-2013, 04:55 AM
I am related to ZephMandru lol.

Humanist
02-09-2013, 03:46 AM
Likely at least part Assyrian.

Match with my maternal grandmother.
3rd to 5th Cousin
0.33% shared, 3 segments
mtDNA: U5a1
Y-DNA: T

I believe this individual may be Chaldean Catholic.

Hanna
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
I got a new cousin but hidden profile:

3rd to 5th Cousin
0.34% shared, 2 segments

mtDNA: T2a
y-dna: G2a3a1

I wonder where the person is from at least judging by haplogroups?

Humanist
02-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Two new matches! :) They are related to both sides of my family. So, at least part Assyrian ancestry is near certain. The second of the two, given the Y-DNA, suggests to me a possible mixed Assyrian-European union. Hopefully they will reply to my attempts at contact.

Female
3rd to 6th Cousin
0.24% shared, 2 segments
J1b3

Male
3rd to 6th Cousin
0.27% shared, 2 segments
T1 R1b1b2a1a2f*

ZephyrousMandaru
02-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Humanist, I wanted to inform you that I have a Mexican woman that matched with me on my Relative Finder. If it helps, she does have some Sephardic Jewish ancestry. I share about 0.08% with her, on one segment. There is also an Algerian man who appeared on my Relative Finder, who I share 0.07% on one segment.

DMXX
02-17-2013, 01:33 PM
I've had several new matches in the past few months;

Female
3rd to Distant Cousin
0.15% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA U4a2b

Male
3rd to Distant Cousin
0.14% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA HV2
Y-DNA R1a1a

Male
3rd to Distant Cousin
0.13% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA T2g
Y-DNA J2a1e

Male
3rd to Distant Cousin
0.12% shared, 1 segment
Azerbaijani (judging by the surname from the Republic)
mtDNA R30a
Y-DNA R1b1b2a

Male
3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA I
Y-DNA R1a1a

2 Males
3rd to Distant Cousins (both)
0.11% shared, 1 segment (both)
mtDNA's V7 and H1
Y-DNA E1b1b1a2* (both)

Female
4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
Iran
mtDNA J1b1a

Male
4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
Eastern Europe
mtDNA H1
Y-DNA E1b1b1a2*

Female
4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
Russian
mtDNA U4a1a

Male
4th to Distant Cousin
0.09% shared, 1 segment
Iraqi? (Iranian maternally confirmed)
mtDNA L1c1'2'4'6
Y-DNA G1*

Male (I believe he goes by the username Anghrals elsewhere?)
4th to Distant Cousin
0.09% shared, 1 segment
Feyli Kurd (SW Iran)
mtDNA T1
Y-DNA J1

Below, the mtDNA and Y-DNA results in alphabetical order.

Of the Y-DNA's, people with R seem to make up the largest chunk (9/20, 45%). Those bearing R2a-M124 specifically are of unknown backgrounds unfortunately as they're of the most interest with regard to my paternal origins. There's also a surprising number of E1b1b1a's (4/20, 20%).

On the maternal side of things, the majority of my results are H, U or T (25/38, ~65%). Interestingly, I am yet to have an mtDNA U3 match, despite this being more common in the Middle-East than the others if I recall correctly.

C4 E1b1b1a
F1a E1b1b1a2*
H E1b1b1a2*
H E1b1b1a2*
H1 E1b1b1a2*
H1 G1
H10 G2a
H2a2a J1
H4 J1
H5a J1
H5a J2a1e
H6a1 R1a1a
HV R1a1a
HV1b2 R1b1b2a
HV2 R1b1b2a
I R1b1b2a1a
I1a1 R2
J1b1a R2
L1c1'2'4'6 R2
M54a R2
N1a'c'd'e'l
R30a
R31a1
T1
T2b
T2e
T2g
T2g
T2g
U1a1
U1a3
U2e1
U4a1a
U4a2b
U5b2a
V7
X1a1
X1a1

Don Felipe
02-17-2013, 01:45 PM
I've been checking out the map feature, and I feel torn about its usefulness. On one hand, the US locations seem to be pretty decent at indicating regional ancestry. On the other hand, though, the Europe and Asia features are useless. For example, I have a huge chunk of Iberian results all from 1 single relative, who has a ton of family locations listed in his profile.

^^ I have the same thing with one Portuguese relative who listed like 14 separate locations within a very restricted subregion of Portugal even :\. I mean it's nice of him to provide that much detail about his ancestry but it can be misleading when used in the map feature. I wish there was some optional feature by which you could influence the counter and set it at 1 family location per country per unique relative or something without impacting the locations shown in the map.

This is a good point and it even has me thinking that regional ancestry in the US can be a good indicator of Old World ancestry, if you look at settlement patterns, because there are so many more Americans testing.

Yes, i think so too. Most of my US relatives have locations in the North East, specifically New England and NY state. Which corresponds very well with known migration patterns of Cape Verdean Americans, who tend to concentrate around Boston and surroundings. I suspect my shared ancestry with Dutch American relatives might date both from recent Dutch migration, concentrating mostly in the Mid West, and perhaps also some from the very first colonial settlers in former New Nederland, NY State. Actually both New York and Albany are listed as locations, but by relatives who are actually Latino :biggrin1:

In Europe not surprisingly Netherlands shows up with the most locations. The number for Portugal is inflated although I do have several other Portuguese RF cousins but they didn't list their family locations sofar.

In Africa, Cape Verde is mentioned only twice, but in fact among my top 25 of closest related RF cousins i suspect more of them are through my Cape Verde side than via my Dutch side. Kind of unexpected, too bad most of them are not sharing with me >:( I also have two Afrikaaner cousins in South Africa B)

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af18/oditous2/RFmapclusterEurAfrica.jpg

I think we all need to remember that certain groups have tested at a much higher rate.

True, obviously this goes to explain the many US relatives most 23&me customers irrespective of background will find. Although i do actually have some genuine (first) cousins living in the US.

I'm wondering if the frequency of my Latino (mostly Carribean & Mexican) RF cousins and just 1 Brazilian relative can also be explained by sampling bias, or if maybe there's some underlying migration pattern which caused it. I've seen the same frequencies among my Cape Verdean relatives who usually have Mexico or some other Hispanic American country in their top 5 with AF, but rarely Brazil. It might hint at high circulation and mobility of Iberian settlers/traders (incl. those of Sephardic, Canarian and Morisco background) in the early Atlantic world especially when the Portuguese and Spanish empires were formally united under Habsburg rule (1580-1640). Despite close early colonial links with especially North-East Brazil, it seems that during its shortlived days of regional trading hub (1500's mostly) Cape Verde had more extensive connections with the Spanish Carribean.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af18/oditous2/RFmapclusterAmericas.jpg

Several cousins in Australia and also New Zealand (not shown in the map) through recent Dutch migration over there. But also very surprisingly a Fillipino cousin! I actually have a Macau cousin as well but he's not sharing with me. I figure if it's really an IBD match for both we would have some shared Iberian ancestry. I checked the AF results for the Fillipino cousin and she has 1 Mexican cousin listed plus she's also not 100% Asian in AC.

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af18/oditous2/RFmapclusterAustralasia.jpg

Don Felipe
02-17-2013, 02:30 PM
I wish there was some optional feature by which you could influence the counter and set it at 1 family location per country per unique relative or something without impacting the locations shown in the map.

^Just noticed this list of top locations...

New Bedford, MA, USA (3)
The Netherlands (3)
Cape Verde (2)
Tennessee, USA (2)
Ireland (2)
England, UK (2)
Cuba (2)
Michigan, USA (2)

geebee
02-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I actually have someone identified as a potential 2nd cousin. I thought I'd established the likely connection, but was informed that the couple I mentioned as a possibility had never had any children. However, I compared my potential cousin to another cousin on the same side of my family -- and lo and behold, the two of them had their own shared segment. So even if I identified the wrong couple as a link, it is nevertheless somewhere among their near relatives.

(The level of sharing between me and the potential 2nd cousin is 2.07%, in 9 segments. That has got to be real, even if the person does not turn out to be exactly a 2nd cousin.)

It seems strange to quote myself, but I wanted to post a follow up.

My cousin's father has now gotten his test results in, and he shares enough DNA with me that Relative Finder doesn't even both with a range -- it just says "2nd cousin". Sharing is 2.84%, 11 segments. Actually, with my sister it's even more: 3.22% in 9 segments. That's two fewer segments that I share with him, but one of the segments shared between my sister and our purported 2nd cousin spans more than half the length of one chromosome. In fact, coupled with another smaller segment on that chromosome, they probably have half identical sharing of nearly 3/4 of the chromosome. The total amount reported in Family Inheritance is 0.21 Gb, or about 210 Mb. (Sharing with me is 0.17 Gb.)

My brother's sharing is a bit less -- 2.18% in 10 segments. That's actually only a hair more than I share with the daughter, 2.07% in 11 segments. Funny how recombination works.

We still can't find a direct connection. I know (or, I should say I think I know) all of my ancestors up through the 2nd great grandparent level, and most of the 3rd great grandparents. Yet, if the cousin's father -- who is obviously also my cousin -- is a 2nd cousin to me, then we should have great grandparents in common. And, in fact, my grandfather's sister was married to brother of the older cousin's grandfather.

In other words, as far as either of us knows, we should only have mutual cousins, but not be cousins ourselves. Yet, we clearly are. Either the relationship is more distant than it looks ... or something is not the way it was always claimed to be.

Humanist
02-22-2013, 01:05 AM
New match. One of several in the last week or two.

N European/Assyrian

N European mtDNA : X2b

ZephyrousMandaru
02-22-2013, 02:42 AM

N European/Assyrian

Hey, just thought you should know, she sent me a Sharing Invitation. Her mother is of Northwestern European descent, Scottish to be precise.

Humanist
03-01-2013, 04:30 AM
The matches have been coming in at an extraordinary pace the last couple of weeks.

3rd to 6th Cousin
0.23% shared, 3 segments
U1b R1b1b2a

3rd to Distant Cousin (<-- Name suggests at least part Assyrian ancestry)
0.12% shared, 1 segment
H2a R1b1b2a

4th to Distant Cousin
0.11% shared, 1 segment
U4a2a J2

Hanna
03-01-2013, 03:49 PM
New match but ancestry unknown:

3rd to distant Cousin
0.13% shared, 1 segment

mtDNA J1c2

Y-DNA R1a1a

Humanist
03-04-2013, 08:15 AM
New match.

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.17% shared, 1 segment
U1a3

Not sure if this individual is Assyrian, but there are three Assyrians with U1a3 already. Including Zephyrous.

Countries of origin for U1a3 full sequence genomes listed at Ian Logan's GenBank submission page for U1:

India (2)
Italy (2)
Sardinia (2)
Asia (1)
China (1)

Humanist
03-04-2013, 10:13 PM
New match.

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.17% shared, 1 segment
U1a3

Not sure if this individual is Assyrian, but there are three Assyrians with U1a3 already. Including Zephyrous.

Countries of origin for U1a3 full sequence genomes listed at Ian Logan's GenBank submission page for U1:

India (2)
Italy (2)
Sardinia (2)
Asia (1)
China (1)

This person is Assyrian. On both sides. Will add to the Assyrian frequency later.

Humanist
03-10-2013, 04:13 AM
4th to Distant Cousin
0.11% shared, 1 segment
U4a2a J2

This match is now listing "Southern Europe" as an origin.

Humanist
03-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Certainly expect this individual to be at least part Assyrian. Related to both sides of my family. My maternal grandmother's match with him is below:

2nd to 3rd Cousin
0.81% shared, 7 segments
mtDNA: N
Y-DNA: R2

NK19191
03-13-2013, 02:08 PM
2nd to 4th Cousin
0.86% (65cM) shared
6 segments
MTDNA U5b2b
Y DNA J2a1a
His father is Iranian.

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.26% (20cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA H13
Y DNA G2a

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.14% (11cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA J1b1b

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.14% (11cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA T2a
Y DNA J2a1j

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.14% (11cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA U7
Y DNA O3a4*
He is Iranian

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.12% (9cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA M2b1
Y DNA R1a1a

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.12% (9cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA U2e1a
Y DNA T
His Father is Jewish Iranian/ Mother Polish American

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA HV4a
Y DNA R1a1a

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA H13a1a1a
Y DNA R2

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA T2a
Y DNA R2
He is Iranian

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA U4a3
Y DNA R

4th to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA H13a1a1a
Y DNA J1e

4th to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA U7
Y DNA J1e

4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% (8cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA N2a
Y DNA J2
He is a Zoroastrian Iranian

4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% (8cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA H1a1
Y DNA R1a1a*

4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% (8cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA U2e1
Y DNA T

NK19191
03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
@DMXX Do you know if your relationship with Feyli Kurd is through your father's side or your mother's side? I think he is from Elam Province in Iran.

The East European and the Russian relatives are they from the same side of your family and are they from Your Azeri side?

DMXX
03-14-2013, 08:17 PM
NK19191, does the Zoroastrian Iranian have the initials ZK? If so, me and you are related through him.

@DMXX Do you know if your relationship with Feyli Kurd is through your father's side or your mother's side? I think he is from Elam Province in Iran.

The East European and the Russian relatives are they from the same side of your family and are they from Your Azeri side?

I am uncertain of the relationship I have with the Feyli Kurd. We discussed it and did not reach any conclusion. Until I sort out my father's kit, I won't know why I happen to have more relatives from the East of Europe out of the entire continent.

AJL
03-15-2013, 03:42 AM
MTDNA U2e1a
Y DNA T
His Father is Jewish Iranian/ Mother Polish American

Hm, just noticed I also have a new match, mtDNA U5a1a1 yDNA J2, half Jewish Iranian.

NK19191
03-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Two new ones:

4th to Distant Cousin
0.09% (7cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA T2g
YDNA R1b1b2a

4th to Distant Cousin
0.08% (6cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA K1c1b
Y DNA J2b2*
He is 1/4 Iranian (Grand Father) 3/4 Anglo American

NK19191
03-15-2013, 01:40 PM
@DMXX

No, his initials are SM.

Humanist
03-16-2013, 06:38 AM
New matches.

4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA: T1
Y-DNA: G2a

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.18% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA: H
Y-DNA: J1

NK19191
03-25-2013, 03:14 PM
3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
MTDNA U3b

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared

MTDNA U4a3
Y DNA R
He is Half Jewish Iranian (father) / Half Ashkenazi Jew
2nd Jewish Iranian in my relative finder so far out 6 that have responded to me. I guess I am part Jewish. He is also not related to the other Person.

DMXX
03-25-2013, 06:14 PM
4th to Distant Cousin
0.09% shared
mtDNA U2e1a
Y-DNA I1*

Looking at their profile, they seem to predominantly be North European.

NK19191
03-25-2013, 07:06 PM
@DMXX I have 19 relatives so far and Only 6, I know what they are. The rest are unknowns. How does that compare with yours?

DMXX
03-25-2013, 07:26 PM
@DMXX I have 19 relatives so far and Only 6, I know what they are. The rest are unknowns. How does that compare with yours?

Similar ratio, unfortunately. I currently have 41 relatives (started off in 2009 with barely 8). Of which, I know the backgrounds of 16. Relative Finder doesn't seem to be a particularly reliable platform for finding relatives.

AJL
04-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Similar ratio, unfortunately. I currently have 41 relatives (started off in 2009 with barely 8). Of which, I know the backgrounds of 16. Relative Finder doesn't seem to be a particularly reliable platform for finding relatives.

I just found one! I got a sharing invitation because he noticed I had the name "Crawford" in my list. It turns out we match -- our common (yDNA I1) ancestor coming from the Belfast area about 1780.

NK19191
04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Two New Ones.

4th to Distant Cousin
0.07% (5cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA H5

She is from England and she is English.

4th to Distant Cousin
0.09% (7cM) shared
1 segment
MTDNA H

She is an American of English(father) and Italian (mother). She is related to another Iranian from what she told me. however, I don't seem to be related to him.

DMXX
04-10-2013, 05:31 PM
One new one here.

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.13% shared, 1 segment
Turkey
mtDNA X2b

It's quite funny that, despite being on 23andMe for over three years, I've only registered Turkish relatives in the past two months or so (1 Anatolian Turk and 1 Azeri from the Republic on RF, 1 Anatolian Turk on AF).

newtoboard
04-10-2013, 08:40 PM
One new one here.

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.13% shared, 1 segment
Turkey
mtDNA X2b

It's quite funny that, despite being on 23andMe for over three years, I've only registered Turkish relatives in the past two months or so (1 Anatolian Turk and 1 Azeri from the Republic on RF, 1 Anatolian Turk on AF).

Aren't some of Turkey's Turks Azeris too? And a few NE/E Turks seem closer to Armenians than Greeks.

DMXX
04-10-2013, 08:43 PM
I don't have any genealogical connection with Turkey that I know of, but there's numerous possibilities. It might be mutual Armenian ancestry, something from elsewhere in the Caucasus, Azeri or Persian ancestry on their part, Anatolian Turkish in mine, something relating to Safavid movements (Qizilbash)... One can go on.

Humanist
04-16-2013, 01:31 AM
New matches.

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.15% shared, 1 segment
V3

4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
J1c3b

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.13% shared, 1 segment
H1c
R1b1b2a

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.19% shared, 1 segment
Multiple regions
A2
R1b1b2a

4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
T1
G2a

DMXX
04-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Two new cousins.

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA V7
Y-DNA E1b1b1a2*

4th to Distant Cousin
0.09% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA F1a

geebee
05-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Thought I'd report actually being able to figure out the connection to a Relative Finder cousin.

Recently a new name appeared in my Relative Finder list. The name appeared because this was a public match, but I was a bit startled to see that it was a somewhat close connection. The relationship was is the 3rd to 5th cousin range. In addition, "P" was showing to indicate that this was a paternal match.

Well, I know my father's side well enough that I figured it ought to be possible to determine the connection if RF's estimate was correct, and if the other person knew her tree well enough. So I made contact, and also requested sharing, which she accepted.

Based on information she provided me about her grandmother, I was able to make the connection -- which goes back to my 3rd great grandparents. They're actually also her 3rd great grandparents, so we're 4th cousins. But it's even better than that, because -- and I just realized this as I was writing -- the line from this "new" cousin back to my 3rd great grandmother is all-female. In other words, the cousin should have the same mtDNA line as my 3rd great grandmother.

I have only males in-between, so I would not otherwise be able to know the mtDNA of this ancestor. (Although I do know the Y DNA of the 3rd great grandfather, since I'm in the direct male line from him.)

Kinda cool!

EDIT: The mtDNA is H8. Since that's by 23andMe reckoning, it is perhaps not as useful as if it were from FTDNA, but it's still more than I could otherwise know.

ADW_1981
05-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Some of the neatest ones for me above the noise level are:

R1b1b2a1a2b (Spain)
H1a3
0.16%

R1b1b2a1a2a (M65)
HV
0.13%

Both of these guys are above the noise level and are related from my father's side who does indeed have French ancestry 1700 and earlier.
Neither of them responded to my sharing requests. Perhaps they don't understand how a very white red headed guy like me could be related to them? Not sure

Humanist
05-06-2013, 07:00 AM
New match.

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.19% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA: T2b
Y-DNA: J2

Humanist
05-08-2013, 05:45 AM
New match.

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.19% shared, 1 segment

Perhaps brothers? And, at least some Assyrian ancestry appears likely.

3rd to 6th Cousin
0.28% shared, 2 segments

Humanist
05-09-2013, 11:13 PM
New RF match.

4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
Northern Europe
H1

Humanist
05-14-2013, 12:34 AM
4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA : J1c1
Y-DNA : E1b1b1c1a

MJost
05-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Here is an interesting aDNA 23andme connection with my wife and I. We submitted my wifes brother's sample and discovered we are related with at least two people who show family locations to the same Warren County, Tenn location. These two are not related to each other. These matches are from my paternal side only.

My Wife's and brother's dad has a long colonial ancestry back to the Carolina's and later migrated via Tenn then on to southern Missouri landing in Kansas as farmers. I have matches with many from the South Eastern USA via Tennessee, Alabama etc. We both, I have over 1100 matches and my wife's brother is over a 1000 which is, as I understand it, resembles Colonial based ancestry. My largest YDNA match is from Alabama.

Our Common Ancestory lineage with these two matches are people who are not related to each other in a geneological time frame.

MJost
1st Match
4th Cousin (3rd to 5th Cousin)
0.60% DNA shared across 2 segments

Brother in law
1st match
5th Cousin (3rd to Distant Cousin)
0.20% DNA shared across 1 segment

Next match:

MJost
2nd match
4th Cousin (3rd to 6th Cousin)
0.19% DNA shared across 2 segments

Brother in law
2nd match
5th Cousin (3rd to Distant Cousin)
0.12% DNA shared across 1 segment

My wife and I, thanks, are not kissin' cousins. :biggrin1:

MJost

AJL
05-25-2013, 10:44 PM
My wife and I, thanks, are not kissin' cousins. :biggrin1:

That's always good to know! :)

Humanist
06-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Both appear to be at least part Assyrian.

With my maternal grandmother

3rd to 5th Cousin
0.30% shared, 3 segments
HV

3rd to 4th Cousin
0.52% shared, 4 segments
United Kingdom
H1

With my father

4th to Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
HV

3rd to 6th Cousin
0.24% shared, 2 segments
United Kingdom
H1

NK19191
06-03-2013, 02:01 PM
NK19191, does the Zoroastrian Iranian have the initials ZK? If so, me and you are related through him.

@DMXX It is confirmed we are related :). My Mother's result are out and she is related to ZK, but very distant, 5th to distant cousins. It seems I share too little cM stretch with him to be listed.

DMXX
06-27-2013, 01:55 PM
@DMXX It is confirmed we are related :). My Mother's result are out and she is related to ZK, but very distant, 5th to distant cousins. It seems I share too little cM stretch with him to be listed.

Aha, we'll see if any more Azeri-Persian mixes randomly discover they're related with us. :)

I've had a slew of new matches over the past few weeks:

3rd to 6th Cousin
0.23% shared, 2 segments
mtDNA H6a1
Ethnicity unknown

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.26% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA H
Y-DNA Q1*
Ethnicity unknown

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.17% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA U5b2a1
Y-DNA J2a1b1*
Persian

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.13% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA R0a1a
Ethnicity unknown

4th to Distant Cousin
0.09% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA I1a1
Y-DNA R1b1b2a1a
Ethnicity unknown

4th to Distant Cousin
0.09% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA H4a1
Mixed-Euro American

Distant Cousin
0.10% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA HV1b2
Y-DNA J2b2*
Russian

Distant Cousin
0.09% shared, 1 segment
mtDNA K1a1b1a
Y-DNA J2
Israeli nationality, East Euro heritage

newtoboard
06-27-2013, 01:57 PM
a mtdna U5b? Interesting. I thought U5 in West Asia was predominantly if not entirely U5a1.

DMXX
06-27-2013, 02:06 PM
a mtdna U5b? Interesting. I thought U5 in West Asia was predominantly if not entirely U5a1.

Of the four U5's among my relatives, their breakdown is as follows:

U5b2a1 (Persian)
U5a1a1 (Unknown)
U5b2a (Armenian-Greek maternally)
U5a1a (Unknown)

StarDS9
06-27-2013, 07:44 PM
I recently got 2 new East Asian like mtDNA in my RF.

C4, 0.19% shared. The person is a female, looks to be Turkish or from Turkey based on the name.

D4j, 0.32% shared, ancestry of the female is unknown.

The C4, is first mtdna C in my RF where as I have 3 mtdna D.

soulblighter
07-28-2013, 03:05 AM
All of a sudden I have 3 fictitious/junk relative finder results.
All of them are 0.1% 1 segment 4th to distant cousins.
This is the first time I have "relatives" with no known Indian ancestry.

soulblighter
08-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Updates on Paternal and Maternal Haplogroup matches for South Indian Tamil Iyer Ancestry (Note: A couple of people do not appear to have South Asian ancestry on both sides on the list):

Number of Matches:

Number of Second and Third Cousins = 7
Number of Fourth Cousins = 47
Number of Distant Cousins = 84
Number of Total Matches so far = 138

Paternal Haplogroup

C5* = 6
C5a = 3
D = 1
F = 2
G2a = 9
H1* = 8
H1a* = 7
I1* = 1
J = 1
J2 = 6
J2b2 = 1
J2b2* = 3
L1 = 10
Q = 1
Q1a3* = 1
R1a1a = 36
R1a1a* = 42
R1b1b2a1a2f2 = 2
R2 = 7

Maternal Haplogroup

C4a = 1
C4a1 = 2
H1 = 1
H13a2 = 1
H17 = 1
H2b = 1
H3 = 1
H3g = 1
HV = 9
J1b1a = 2
J1c2 = 1
J1d = 1
K1a10 = 1
K1a4a1 = 1
M = 3
M18 = 1
M2a2 = 1
M2a2a = 1
M2a3 = 1
M2b = 3
M2b1 = 1
M3 = 1
M30 = 8
M30b = 1
M35a = 4
M35a1 = 4
M35b = 6
M35b2 = 1
M36d1 = 1
M39a1 = 1
M3a = 5
M3a1 = 3
M40a1a = 1
M42b = 2
M49d = 1
M4a = 3
M54b = 1
M5a = 1
M5a2a = 6
M5d = 2
R = 3
R30 = 4
R5a2 = 1
R6 = 1
R6a = 4
R6a1a = 1
R8a1a2a = 1
T1a1 = 2
T2b = 1
U1a3 = 2
U1a'c = 2
U2a = 7
U2b1 = 2
U2b2 = 2
U2c = 4
U2e = 2
U2e1 = 2
U4a1a = 4
U4b1 = 1
U7 = 2
W = 3

AJL
10-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Just today, I was able to help a 23andme DNA Cousin -- an adoptee who had her father's name from adoption records but little more, and who came from an out-of-the-way area of Ontario where my mother's Y line was for about 100 years.

She directed me to a website I hadn't known about specializing in this area; I found her father on the site, and he was a fourth cousin once removed of mine (sadly, he's deceased).

Double value: I got to help confirm who her father was and so verify half of her paper tail, plus I got to identify that little slice of DNA and so help confirm part of my own paper trail and future matches.

Combine that with finding a new DNA cousin in North Carolina yesterday from my Sheridan side, and it's a great Thanksgiving!

Humanist
10-16-2013, 01:19 AM
My top 25 RF cousins, based on % DNA shared:

1 -- 1.50%
2 -- 1.10%
3 -- 0.92%
4 -- 0.83%
5 -- 0.75%
6 -- 0.67%
7 -- 0.62% (Zephyrous Mandaru)
8 -- 0.61% (Birko)
9 -- 0.61%
10 -- 0.60%
11 -- 0.60%
12 -- 0.60%
13 -- 0.51%
14 -- 0.48%
15 -- 0.46%
16 -- 0.41%
17 -- 0.41%
18 -- 0.41%
19 -- 0.38%
20 -- 0.37%
21 -- 0.35%
22 -- 0.35%
23 -- 0.34%
24 -- 0.34%
25 -- 0.33%

AJL
10-24-2013, 03:13 AM
Another success for me, this time a connection via the Tomlinson family of North Lincolnshire, on my mother's side. I lost track of my ancestor's brother: it turns out he went to Jamaica.

I think this may be the first time I have been able to identify a connection where the other party is neither in the mother country nor in the US/Canada, as well as the first time I have been able to account for a match with someone with substantial African ancestry.

My mother now has Jamaica as her #5 country so I am feeling irie.

Humanist
12-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I reckon stories such as the one below, from a 23andMe user contribute to why I have a decent number of American RF matches:

My mother says she is Assyrian, with her parents being from Southern Turkey at the end of WWI. My father was born in West Virginia and he said he was Scottish.

AJL
12-06-2013, 04:10 PM
It's interesting how quickly identities can be assimilated in the US as compared to parts of Europe, say.

Humanist
12-06-2013, 04:51 PM
It's interesting how quickly identities can be assimilated in the US as compared to parts of Europe, say.

Indeed. My dad and mom came over in the 60s and 70s respectively, and they raised my brother and I as Americans first, Assyrians second.

Stephen1986
12-09-2013, 08:13 PM
I currently have 1793 RF matches, whilst my brother has 1622 matches.

Dimanto
01-30-2014, 04:01 AM
http://s20.postimg.org/5vvu4luvd/Map_view_2014.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5vvu4luvd/)

Stephen1986
02-03-2014, 11:05 AM
I currently have 1793 RF matches, whilst my brother has 1622 matches.

I now have 1922 matches and my brother now has 1737 matches.

Humanist
02-04-2014, 03:55 PM
I have noticed a fairly recent upturn in the number of RF matches. Has anyone noticed the same? I was expecting less matches, given the fact that kits can only be sold for "ancestry" purposes now.

Caesarea
02-04-2014, 04:22 PM
I have noticed a fairly recent upturn in the number of RF matches. Has anyone noticed the same? I was expecting less matches, given the fact that kits can only be sold for "ancestry" purposes now.

I have 11 new DNARs since beginning 2014 which is great, but what is not great is 10 out of the 11 are anonymous who have not responded to my intro/share genome requests.

MfA
02-04-2014, 04:35 PM
This little bump of new matches are due to the Christmas shopping craze. All those are still from before November 22 and they are Health + Ancestry customers. Since the February there are new only Ancestry customers, I hope and expect new matches will be better on getting responses, higher acceptence rate etc.
I've just received my first only ancestry share today.

Caesarea
02-04-2014, 05:13 PM
I also think the bump is from when people heard about the FDA's letter, they ordered kits, including I :)
The holidays in December did not help the backlog at 23andme. Opening their east coast facility has helped enormously. Customers whose DNA is analyzed at the east coast facility are now getting their results within 2 weeks.

Wulf Talented
02-04-2014, 09:42 PM
23andMe received my Mothers and Fathers DNA samples on the 17 January, two days ago I received their Haplgoroups, Countries of ancestry/DNA relatives and neanderthal percentages. Now all I need is their ancestry composition, I see that coming within this week.

Caesarea
02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Out of the 11 new DNAR, 3 declined my intro, 8 are still pending.
2 of the declined are probably siblings.
anonymous male paternal haplogroup R1b1b2a1a1, maternal haplogroup T2a1a
anonymous female maternal haplogroup T2a1a
Hope the T2a1a was not the Iraqi Mandaean.

Stephen1986
02-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Our matches have increased again, to 1940 for me and 1748 for my brother. One of my new matches is a Romanian-born male, with whom I share 11cM. He has J1c2 mtDNA and E1b1b1a2* yDNA. What is the likely connection going to be?

vettor
02-07-2014, 04:45 PM
I have only 160 matches in 23andme of which 37 have 20% or more matching with myself, but there is something strange with 23andme
I have separate 23andme and ftdna accounts in gedmatch ..............when i compare them against each other, they are 99% match.
When I do a search on "one to many" , i get nearly 50% of different people found between using 23andme number and ftdna number, is there a reason.?..............maybe I should only triangulate the people that appear only on both of my accounts

Caesarea
02-07-2014, 05:30 PM
I have only 160 matches in 23andme of which 37 have 20% or more matching with myself, but there is something strange with 23andme
I have separate 23andme and ftdna accounts in gedmatch ..............when i compare them against each other, they are 99% match.
When I do a search on "one to many" , i get nearly 50% of different people found between using 23andme number and ftdna number, is there a reason.?..............maybe I should only triangulate the people that appear only on both of my accounts

@vettor,
I think this might be one of the reason, FTDNA and 23andme have "hidden areas" in which they don't report matches. At gedmatch.com there are no "hidden areas". Gedmatch compares the beginning to end of the DNA one on one. That is why you will have matches at gedmatch.com who tested at FTDNA or 23andme who will not appear in your DNAR or Family Finder list.

rossa
02-07-2014, 06:02 PM
My 23andme matches updates are getting more frequent, on the other hand FTDNA's have really slowed. I wonder is this down to their new Y DNA tests slowing things.

Caesarea
02-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Our matches have increased again, to 1940 for me and 1748 for my brother. One of my new matches is a Romanian-born male, with whom I share 11cM. He has J1c2 mtDNA and E1b1b1a2* yDNA. What is the likely connection going to be?

A one segment 11cM is most likely a predicted 5th cousin (Predicted range 3rd to distant cousin).

rossa
02-07-2014, 06:27 PM
A one segment 11cM is most likely a predicted 5th cousin (Predicted range 3rd to distant cousin).

Has anyone comfirmed these relatedness predictions? Personally if I see distant in the estimate, I put the emphasis on distant. I have confirmed a 4th cousin and he has 3 segemnts with .45% or something like that, so that makes me question 1 segment matches.

vettor
02-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Has anyone comfirmed these relatedness predictions? Personally if I see distant in the estimate, I put the emphasis on distant. I have confirmed a 4th cousin and he has 3 segemnts with .45% or something like that, so that makes me question 1 segment matches.

5th cousin or beyond could be a 1000 years, because I have 8 plus generations of registrations ( birth, deaths and marriages) both paternal and maternal sides and every time someone sends me ..."we could be related" 4th or 5th cousins, I do not see these people on the lists, I then snippet the reference from the registrars I assumed they sort of refer to, and they do not follow up anymore,
to conclude all my "4th and 5th cousins" do not appear anytime between 1700 to present.

my "3rd cousin" is dated 1645......but as yet i cannot confirm this.

IMO, 1st and 2nd cousins would be basically the best that people can follow up

i imagine these programs that indicate your relationships work like this:
inside 100 years = 1st cousin
100 to 200 years = 2nd cousin
200 to 400 years = 3rd cousins etc
I clearly think there reference term of cousin does not mean what we think it means.

icebreaker
03-21-2014, 03:33 PM
I have 87 relatives so far. These are the charts I made:

AJL
03-21-2014, 04:27 PM

I have one as close as a 4th cousin in this range (abt 11-12 cM), and several as distant as 10th, and many more where I can't confirm any relationship. Essentially beyond about second/third cousins it's pretty much up for grabs whether you match them at all and if so by how much.

Mehrdad
03-21-2014, 04:46 PM
I only have 26 relatives so far, I've included my results below. 10 Males and 16 Females

1640 1641

rod
03-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Out of 1200+ current and thousands of former matches I have...

Confirmed matches:
1. 2nd Cousin, Once Removed 1.84% shared, 6 segment
2. 2nd Cousin, Once Removed 1.34% shared, 6 segments
3. 2nd Cousin, Once Removed 1.02% shared, 3 segments
4. 3rd Cousin 0.68% shared, 3 segments
5. 3rd Cousin 0.42% shared, 3 segments
6. 4rd Cousin 0.71% shared, 4 segments (1)
7. 4th Cousin 0.19% shared, 2 segments
8. 4th Cousin, Once Removed 0.70% shared, 4 segments (1)
9. 4rd Cousin, Once Removed 0.12% shared, 1 segment (1)
10. 5th Cousin 0.12% shared, 1 segment (1)

1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 related through mother's father
2 related through father's mother
3, 5, 7 related through father's father

1-5 and 7 were people I already knew
6, and 8-10 were new discoveries

Notes:
(1) 3 generation of same family

Close non-responders:
3rd to 4th Cousin 0.94% shared, 4 segments
3rd to 4th Cousin 0.70% shared, 3 segments
3rd to 4th Cousin 0.62% shared, 3 segments

Mehrdad
03-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Out of 1200+ current and thousands of former matches I have...

Confirmed matches:
1. 2nd Cousin, Once Removed 1.84% shared, 6 segment
2. 2nd Cousin, Once Removed 1.34% shared, 6 segments
3. 2nd Cousin, Once Removed 1.02% shared, 3 segments
4. 3rd Cousin 0.68% shared, 3 segments
5. 3rd Cousin 0.42% shared, 3 segments
6. 4rd Cousin 0.71% shared, 4 segments (1)
7. 4th Cousin 0.19% shared, 2 segments
8. 4th Cousin, Once Removed 0.70% shared, 4 segments (1)
9. 4rd Cousin, Once Removed 0.12% shared, 1 segment (1)
10. 5th Cousin 0.12% shared, 1 segment (1)

1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 related through mother's father
2 related through father's mother
3, 5, 7 related through father's father

1-5 and 7 were people I already knew
6, and 8-10 were new discoveries

Notes:
(1) 3 generation of same family

Close non-responders:
3rd to 4th Cousin 0.94% shared, 4 segments
3rd to 4th Cousin 0.70% shared, 3 segments
3rd to 4th Cousin 0.62% shared, 3 segments

That's interesting, I'm surprised that some of those I'm apparently related to are from Southeast Asia and then there's two from Japan. This brings up the question, how far back can these relationships go? 1000-2000 ybp?

evon
03-21-2014, 11:54 PM
That's interesting, I'm surprised that some of those I'm apparently related to are from Southeast Asia and then there's two from Japan. This brings up the question, how far back can these relationships go? 1000-2000 ybp?

My guess is around 1-2000 years back, but in most cases i would think they are maximum 1000 years..dont think ive found ancient matches above 7,5cM yet...

Japan and South East Asia has been connected to the middle east via trade routes for a very long time, and Persian traders have been very active here, especially during the Sasanian empire and the early Islamic period.. You also have the option of them being related to European interests in those regions..

Mehrdad
03-22-2014, 04:23 PM
My guess is around 1-2000 years back, but in most cases i would think they are maximum 1000 years..dont think ive found ancient matches above 7,5cM yet...

Japan and South East Asia has been connected to the middle east via trade routes for a very long time, and Persian traders have been very active here, especially during the Sasanian empire and the early Islamic period.. You also have the option of them being related to European interests in those regions..

Hi evon, I think that most likely these relations are through my mother's side, she's Fijian on her mom's side and Tongan on her dad's side. My matches in Japan are around 7cm, so I'm assuming at some time around the past 1000 years someone from either the pacific islands ended up in Japan or vice versa. Too bad the pacific islands didn't have a writing system where they could have chronicled all their journeys, all I have to live with is the stories and tales passed down for centuries and many of which have been distorted and fabricated in modern times to suit political objectives.

evon
03-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Hi evon, I think that most likely these relations are through my mother's side, she's Fijian on her mom's side and Tongan on her dad's side. My matches in Japan are around 7cm, so I'm assuming at some time around the past 1000 years someone from either the pacific islands ended up in Japan or vice versa. Too bad the pacific islands didn't have a writing system where they could have chronicled all their journeys, all I have to live with is the stories and tales passed down for centuries and many of which have been distorted and fabricated in modern times to suit political objectives.

Oral traditions are always very suspect for me, as very few tend to be true.. Well, Japan is a coastal nation, just like the pacific isle groups, so it seems likely there was some mixing there, but you could ofcourse have Japanese ancestry, or not, the way geneflow has gone is hard to say, you will have to rely on autosomal DNA for that part, not matching segments..

Táltos
03-23-2014, 05:25 AM
My husband's Relative Finder results just came in tonight! He is probably going to hit the CAP. He has 970 matches up from 967. All are predominately Irish of course. I can see one who shares his surname, and even another surname that is linked to his paternal side. So very interesting, I can't wait to talk to his father to see if he knows this match.

His mother had said that her grandmother(direct maternal line) had been Jewish. So far I can't really see much for this. And I am actually finding it hard to tell his matches apart because his mother also has Irish ancestry on her father's side. His maternal haplogroup is rare, he is I5a1. In his Countries of Ancestry the declared Ashkenazi is very low, 0.2%–1.3%. Still waiting for his AC to show up. And still waiting for our daughter's and my DNAR, COA, along with AC to show.

I also want to add this had been the fastest that I ever saw a DNA test go through. All three of my kits had started analyzing on March 15, and initial results showed up for all three of them on March 20th! So far this new chip also got our daughter's and my mtDNA right. The hubby's YDNA was correct as well.

Tomasso29
04-08-2014, 03:15 AM
I got a new interesting relative that matches my maternal uncle at 3.09% shared and 17 segments. He's a predicted 2nd cousin and carries R1b1b2a. I say this is interesting because his family name is the same family name of my maternal great grandmother (Grandfather's mother). Their origin is from the town of Mardin in Turkey but they migrated down to North Iraq (Town of Alqosh) back in the 1800's.

Definitely random but it's cool because now I know that my maternal great grandmother's Y-Line is R1b1b2a :)

Humanist
04-08-2014, 10:50 PM
I got a new interesting relative that matches my maternal uncle at 3.09% shared and 17 segments. He's a predicted 2nd cousin and carries R1b1b2a. I say this is interesting because his family name is the same family name of my maternal great grandmother (Grandfather's mother). Their origin is from the town of Mardin in Turkey but they migrated down to North Iraq (Town of Alqosh) back in the 1800's.

Definitely random but it's cool because now I know that my maternal great grandmother's Y-Line is R1b1b2a :)

That is a whole lot of sharing! Is the fella mtDNA H?

Humanist
04-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Updating my top matches list. Based on % DNA shared:

≥ .30%

1 -- 1.50%
2 -- 1.10%
3 -- 0.92%
4 -- 0.83%
5 -- 0.82%
6 -- 0.81%
7 -- 0.78%
8 -- 0.75%
9 -- 0.69%
10 -- 0.67%
11 -- 0.62% (Zephyrous Mandaru)
12 -- 0.61% (Tomasso)
13 -- 0.61%
14 -- 0.61%
15 -- 0.60%
16 -- 0.60%
17 -- 0.60%
18 -- 0.57%
19 -- 0.51%
20 -- 0.51%
21 -- 0.48%
22 -- 0.48%
23 -- 0.46%
24 -- 0.46%
25 -- 0.41%
26 -- 0.41%
27 -- 0.41%
28 -- 0.38%
29 -- 0.37%
30 -- 0.35%
31 -- 0.35%
32 -- 0.34%
33 -- 0.34%
34 -- 0.34%
35 -- 0.34%
36 -- 0.33%
37 -- 0.30%
38 -- 0.30%

Tomasso29
04-09-2014, 09:26 PM
That is a whole lot of sharing! Is the fella mtDNA H?

His mtDNA is H4, his name is public and initials are NC.

Mandoos
04-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Can we predict the brother/father's y haplogroup using relative finder? The majority of my relatives are 2nd to 4th cousins with R1a1a, versions of H, L and J2.

Joe B
04-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Can we predict the brother/father's y haplogroup using relative finder? The majority of my relatives are 2nd to 4th cousins with R1a1a, versions of H, L and J2.
The best you would get is be a guess. The only way to know the y haplogroup for sure is to test a known paternal relative. Your father's brother or one of his sons(your cousin) for example.

leonardo
04-22-2014, 10:40 PM

I don't believe you can. I have tested my y-dna extensively (BigY, 111STR markers) and it is R1a, yet on 23andMe RF I have only 74 matches with this, but nearly 300 with R1b. This is, in part, because this is likely the group to test most often for these kind of things (British Isles, Ireland and the US); for two, this is likely the y-dna for my maternal grandfather, and, for three, your y-dna line is but one line. I imagine even on my father's fathers side there are R1b through other lines. As has been mentioned, a y-dna test is the only way to know for sure.

Táltos
04-23-2014, 02:24 PM
I don't believe you can. I have tested my y-dna extensively (BigY, 111STR markers) and it is R1a, yet on 23andMe RF I have only 74 matches with this, but nearly 300 with R1b. This is, in part, because this is likely the group to test most often for these kind of things (British Isles, Ireland and the US); for two, this is likely the y-dna for my maternal grandfather, and, for three, your y-dna line is but one line. I imagine even on my father's fathers side there are R1b through other lines. As has been mentioned, a y-dna test is the only way to know for sure.
You are correct that this method would not be useful for predicting a haplogroup Y or mtDNA. In my results if I enter R1b, I have 202 results for some form of R1b. If I put in Q1b I only have 7 matches. Specifically Q1b1a is my brother's/father's haplogroup. 23andme doesn't test for the SNP that would give the Q1b1a designation.

ADW_1981
04-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Those are the usual suspect haplogroups of Southern Asians. Throw R2 and maybe G2 in there as well for good measure. YDNA groups like E1b1b1, J1, and R1b are typically found further west.

leonardo
04-23-2014, 05:58 PM
You are correct that this method would not be useful for predicting a haplogroup Y or mtDNA. In my results if I enter R1b, I have 202 results for some form of R1b. If I put in Q1b I only have 7 matches. Specifically Q1b1a is my brother's/father's haplogroup. 23andme doesn't test for the SNP that would give the Q1b1a designation.

Same here. I am just R1a1a at 23andMe. For some, a basic y-dna determination may suffice, but my interest goes beyond the generic designation.

Mandoos
04-23-2014, 07:50 PM
I was wondering this because the largest portion of my relatives have my mtdna. Obviously the proportions don't mean much. Anyway, does mthap give more accurate haplogroups once you load your 23andme file? My best haplogroup match changed to U1a1c4 since they made adjustments in February.

Táltos
04-24-2014, 02:02 AM
I was wondering this because the largest portion of my relatives have my mtdna. Obviously the proportions don't mean much. Anyway, does mthap give more accurate haplogroups once you load your 23andme file? My best haplogroup match changed to U1a1c4 since they made adjustments in February.
The only way to be sure of your exact mtDNA haplogroup is to test your full sequence at FTDNA. When I had ran my Mom's and my results from 23andme through James Lick's haplogroup analysis the top pick is H23, which is what 23andme gave us. 23andme can give a pretty good assignment at times for haplogroups, but not all the time. Maybe one of the mtDNA U experts can comment for you here. I easily have various subclades of mtDNA H as my top mtDNA in my RF. I have 420 of them. Out of that 420 only four others (not including my mother and daughter) are H23.

Mandoos
04-24-2014, 02:26 AM
I apparently share a segment from Ireland on countries of ancestry, but no luck finding the person on relative finder. Shared segment length was .5% of my genome and the label is "relative". Does this value correspond to the exact percentage shared on RF? Most likely he/she has a south Asian segment.

Táltos
04-24-2014, 02:42 AM
I apparently share a segment from Ireland on countries of ancestry, but no luck finding the person on relative finder. Shared segment length was .5 of my genome and the label is "relative". Does this value correspond to the exact percentage shared on RF? Most likely he/she has a south Asian segment.
Yes the value in Countries of Ancestry corresponds with the percentage they share with you in RF. Unfortunately a lot of matches at 23andme are anonymous. And from COA if they are anonymous it doesn't even let you send an introduction. Also too I think if the match is only 5 cm they might not show up in RF, but the COA lets you play with it to see matches that are just under the threshold. My Mom, my daughter, and myself all share a match like this from the Palestinian Territory that I would like to send at least an introduction to. I can only find them in COA, not RF. Between all three of us we share 8.4-9.2 cm with this person. My best guess is that we might share an ancestor from the Balkans. But that's just a guess.

Mandoos
04-24-2014, 02:56 AM
Yes the value in Countries of Ancestry corresponds with the percentage they share with you in RF. Unfortunately a lot of matches at 23andme are anonymous. And from COA if they are anonymous it doesn't even let you send an introduction. Also too I think if the match is only 5 cm they might not show up in RF, but the COA lets you play with it to see matches that are just under the threshold. My Mom, my daughter, and myself all share a match like this from the Palestinian Territory that I would like to send at least an introduction to. I can only find them in COA, not RF. Between all three of us we share 8.4-9.2 cm with this person. My best guess is that we might share an ancestor from the Balkans. But that's just a guess.

The length was 12.1 cM. However it is just one segment and the relatives that share .5% of my DNA share more than one segment with me. I also have one relative whom I share .10% with. He has N1b1 and X2 as paternal and maternal haplogroups respectively, which is unique in my RF.

evon
05-14-2014, 09:45 PM
23andMe Scientists Improve Methods For Finding Relatives
Read more at http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/23andme-scientists-improve-methods-for-finding-relatives/#rtxQAoyyMrL5x6se.99

MfA
05-21-2014, 03:08 PM
My the Melkite match originally from Aleppo

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
1 segment
Estimated that your common ancestor was born before 1904.
K1a

This is what I found about them:

"Welcome!

St. Ann Melkite Catholic Church is home to over 500 families. Our founding fathers originated from Aleppo, Syria and over the years our Middle Eastern heritage and culture has been kept alive through our strong devoted community.

In 1916, the great immigration of Syrians from Aleppo to Paterson took place. From its beginning in Paterson where liturgies were celebrated by the Rev. Cyril Anid first in private homes and then in borrowed space from surrounding churches and finally in our own church on Marshall Street in Paterson to our present church in Woodland Park, NJ we have grown into a vibrant part of our diocese.

Within the pages of this site you will find the essence of the Melkite people and the pride we hold in our hearts for our spiritual home."
http://saintannmelkite.org/history/

AJL
05-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Read more at http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/23andme-scientists-improve-methods-for-finding-relatives/#rtxQAoyyMrL5x6se.99

"When Eric and Cory used the popular IBD detection method called GERMLINE on real data — almost 3,000 biological parent and child 'trios' in the 23andMe database — they found it produced a false positive rate of about 67 percent for small segments of DNA."

And yet they are now offering fewer SNPs, plus they have to use fewer still to allow for backward compatibility of all previous chip versions. "Better accuracy" for 2-4 cM blocks isn't the issue: the issue is the need to use longer blocks.

Stephen1986
06-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Currently I have 2098 matches and my brother has 1889.

FaerieQueene
06-26-2014, 12:12 AM
Screenshots of 'Your Extended DNA Family' from today:

Dad:http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/FaerieQueene517/2a781776d298fa2cbbbbb968e67aae24_zps712ad6a9.jpg
Me:
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/FaerieQueene517/36ee2f5153b54b6f7d1099d472a237c3_zps2f0dbb1b.jpg
Mom:
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/FaerieQueene517/8a5669b7bfa1f495fdd73a45e45770ed_zps9b9d4351.jpg
My dad has so many 2nd/3rd Cousin matches in lieu of having an overall small number of matches because he's inbred, so much cousin marriage in the family, and Levantine-Christians actually sort of are an overall endogamous community. On top of that, he obviously has A LOT more matches than the average non-Jewish full-Middle Easterner. For me and my mom, our Distant Cousins keep filtering out, I'm not locking them in time to appease the 1000 limit, plus I'm not really bothering with 'anonymous' folks that much. Last time I took a screenshot I had 776 Distant Cousins, now it's 759; and for my mom last time it was 419, and now it's 380.

Mamluk
06-26-2014, 04:30 PM
My dad has so many 2nd/3rd Cousin matches in lieu of having an overall small number of matches because he's inbred, so much cousin marriage in the family, and Levantine-Christians actually sort of are an overall endogamous community.

Some Levantine families are very endogamous, and others not much at all. My paternal grandfather's family is not endogamous, at least not for the past 150 years, while my paternal grandmother's family has been endogamous for 22 generations (~15th century)! My wife has 7 great-grandparents that were 1st or 2nd cousins with each other (the 8th was from a different city)!

My assumptions are that endogamy was a matter of convenience for some families, whether it be due to geographical isolation, religious and cultural "isolation" within a society, also for inheritance reasons (especially among landlord families), and all of the above.

AJL
06-26-2014, 05:25 PM
My assumptions are that endogamy was a matter of convenience for some families, whether it be due to geographical isolation, religious and cultural "isolation" within a society, also for inheritance reasons (especially among landlord families), and all of the above.

That all seems true.

It's half a world away but some of my ancestors were Catholics and Anglicans from pretty much the remotest and most sparsely populated part of England, in the Teesdale District around Bowes, Romaldkirk, and Brough. There seems to have been a need to go at least 40-50 miles away to avoid marrying a close cousin unless (and perhaps even if) you married out of your church.

The endogamy rates in other nearby towns such as Middleton-in-Teesdale, where the population density today is about 0.1 person per hectare or 26 people per square mile, were about 75% for marriages 200 years ago and still 50% as of 100 years ago for Anglicans (R. Lee, The Church of England and the Durham Coalfield, 1810-1926).

Interestingly, Anglican endogamy rates were much higher than Catholic, which were slightly higher than Methodist. Because Methodism only started in the mid-18th century and grew quickly among less privileged classes, I have a suspicion that this religious divide is a fairly good proxy for socioeconomic status, i.e. the endogamous marriages were largely to pass property on within the family, as well as because, hey, who the heck else could you marry when there's so few people?

Because Romaldkirk has seen steadily declining populations, there is a pretty good chance that even though my ancestors left there 200 years ago I am measurably related to almost everyone from there:

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/unit/10465989/rate/POP_DENS_A

Obviously this kind of thing could account for a large number of untraceable genetic cousins extending to the same general area with the common ancestor likely in the Renaissance.

FaerieQueene
06-26-2014, 05:43 PM
Some Levantine families are very endogamous, and others not much at all. My paternal grandfather's family is not endogamous, at least not for the past 150 years, while my paternal grandmother's family has been endogamous for 22 generations (~15th century)! My wife has 7 great-grandparents that were 1st or 2nd cousins with each other (the 8th was from a different city)!

My assumptions are that endogamy was a matter of convenience for some families, whether it be due to geographical isolation, religious and cultural "isolation" within a society, also for inheritance reasons (especially among landlord families), and all of the above.Let's just say there's barely any real maiden names in the family. I discovered this when attempting to create an online family tree and enlisted my father and grandmother's help. Everything was 'our surname' this and 'our surname' that. My dad's paternal grandmother came from Ramallah, but everyone else for the last 600 years came from Birzeit. If you weren't marrying someone with the same last name I think you were only allowed to marry from one of the families who also descends from the same direct paternal ancestor(a guy named Nimer who lived 600 years ago where the family tree stops). We also have 2nd and 3rd cousin matches from villages we know of but have never heard of having extended family there, which leads me to believe the entire Christian community of Palestine was intermarried with each other the whole time. Besides Palestinian-Christian matches: I'm noticing mainly Lebanese-Christian, Jordanian-Christian, Syrian-Christian, and Armenian matches. Not to mention Latin Americans and North Americans of Levantine descent. All others are seeming pretty random for now.

Stephen1986
08-19-2014, 12:59 PM
One of my latest cousins is a public match whose link with me is pretty much confirmed by what he has written in his profile - he mentions my home city, a surname we have in common, and a town in the US where many of my relatives with that surname emigrated to.

AJL
08-21-2014, 05:14 PM

Well I think I may have figured it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

Stephen1986
01-30-2015, 07:57 PM
Currently I have 2098 matches and my brother has 1889.

I currently have 2201 matches and my brother has 1997 matches.

dp
01-30-2015, 09:05 PM

Dear Stephen1986,
My aunt only has 968.
dp :embarrassed: :(

I guess it's not just at GEDmatch were she matches fewer than normal. I'd love to know who she took after in the family tree.
See the following thread (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3753-GEDmatch-kit-diagnostics&p=66232&viewfull=1#post66232)

Humanist
05-18-2015, 03:52 AM
Two new matches! :) They are related to both sides of my family. So, at least part Assyrian ancestry is near certain. The second of the two, given the Y-DNA, suggests to me a possible mixed Assyrian-European union. Hopefully they will reply to my attempts at contact.

Male
3rd to 6th Cousin
0.27% shared, 2 segments
T1 R1b1b2a1a2f*

N European/Assyrian

Curious if the other Assyrian members have noticed RF matches who are seemingly entirely European (surnames, origin stories, etc.). I have a few RF matches who claim no Assyrian ancestry, or even generic Middle Eastern ancestry, but match both my maternal and paternal sides. Perhaps some do not wish to recognize that part of their ancestry for whatever reason, but perhaps some are unaware that they are part Assyrian. Assyrians began arriving in the United States in the late 19th century (although the majority arrived in the 20th century), so there certainly has been enough time for some of the earlier "mixed" unions to have been forgotten by subsequent generations.

By the way, I have not attempted to contact any of these individuals. Perhaps I should.

Kaido
05-18-2015, 12:18 PM
At what percentage is it worth messaging the person to find out their background, anything above .50?

Táltos
05-18-2015, 01:41 PM
At what percentage is it worth messaging the person to find out their background, anything above .50?
Adam,
As long as I match someone I contact them to find out more. I don't worry about what their percent is for something in AC. I only score 0.9 Ashkenazi, along with I think off the top of my head 0.6 or 0.7 Middle Eastern. Almost all of the MENA shows coming from my father in split view. I have a whole slew of Jewish matches on one of my chromosomes. My paper trail back to the 1700s still does not reveal when my family was Jewish. So I say if it interests you contact them. :)

AJL
06-10-2015, 01:31 AM
Well, I had quite a shock recently when I was approached at 23andme by two people were half-siblings, did not know their connection, and were predicted first-to-second cousins of both my later grandfather and his first cousin.

It turns out that my grandfather's cousin -- a medical student at the time -- was a very early sperm donor in the 1950s. Sadly they just missed getting to know their father by a few months, but at least they have a whole bunch of relatives now.

After figuring out the story, I've been busy the last while negotiating the contact between the families, but am glad they're all in touch now and have the answers.

So, RF can be extremely useful, provided enough of the right people have tested and at least some have a decent knowledge of their family history.

J Man
08-30-2015, 09:30 PM
A 1st cousin twice removed from me just received his 23andme results a few days ago. This match comes from the Finnish side of my family. He and my grandmother are 1st cousins. He and I share 3.22% overall DNA together and 12 IBD segments with the largest being 33.7 cM in size on chromosome 19.

Stephen1986
09-26-2015, 02:54 PM

I now have 2346 matches and my brother has 2134.

DMXX
11-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Seems absolutely certain now that I have some distant Jewish ancestry. Just seen a new relative (surname Pearl) with Y-DNA E1b1b1a2*. They're the second Pearl on my list with that subclade. Additionally, an individual with Y-DNA E1b1b1c1 with some fairly stereotypically Ashkenazi surnames (e.g. Rubin) has appeared. These add to the other relatives with Jewish backgrounds (e.g. Iranian Jewish surname with same subclade, full Ashkenazi from Israel).

Find it quite funny I have more Jewish than Arabic individuals popping up on my RF list.

Erik
11-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Seems absolutely certain now that I have some distant Jewish ancestry. Just seen a new relative (surname Pearl) with Y-DNA E1b1b1a2*. They're the second Pearl on my list with that subclade. Additionally, an individual with Y-DNA E1b1b1c1 with some fairly stereotypically Ashkenazi surnames (e.g. Rubin) has appeared. These add to the other relatives with Jewish backgrounds (e.g. Iranian Jewish surname with same subclade, full Ashkenazi from Israel).

Find it quite funny I have more Jewish than Arabic individuals popping up on my RF list.

Is your surname Sabourjian by any chance? ;)

DMXX
11-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Is your surname Sabourjian by any chance? ;)

I understood that right off the bat and will proceed to pat myself on the back for getting that.

(Internal rhyming ftw)

geneticexplorer
03-15-2016, 07:32 PM
I have around 1700 matches. Have also seen it steadily increasing over time.

AJL
03-15-2016, 09:50 PM

Sorry, just saw this now. It doesn't seem so far-fetched, if you have some remote Iranian Jewish ancestry, for a few reasons:

(1) I suspect many more Ashkenazi people have tested than Arabs, and many Ashkenazim are getting up to 1% matches with Iranians or Kurds (often with some known Jewish ancestry) -- most Ashkenazi paper trails don't go much past 1850 and a bit of population movement from Iran and the Caucasus into Ukraine seems to have occurred; and

(2) there's likely more inbreeding among Ashkenazim than most Arab groups (other than certain highly tribal groups, such as Bedouins), so the small amount of ancestry from Iran would persist in the gene pool.

Looking at my own RF results, I have ancestry from the Syria/Turkey border, and matches in Iran, Iraq, and even India but none south of a line running from Cairo to the Persian Gulf (there is one other match in Egypt but it is just tagged "Egypt," so, realistically, they're probably from Cairo too). This may mean very low testing rates from these places, or there might just be enough geographical barriers to that much gene flow significantly south.

As a side note, one of my lines was intermarried with an Aleppo family named Garazi, with known connections to Baghdad and possibly farther east -- I believe Gharazi is a name sometimes found in Iran?

evon
03-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Sorry, just saw this now. It doesn't seem so far-fetched, if you have some remote Iranian Jewish ancestry, for a few reasons:

(1) I suspect many more Ashkenazi people have tested than Arabs, and many Ashkenazim are getting up to 1% matches with Iranians or Kurds (often with some known Jewish ancestry) -- most Ashkenazi paper trails don't go much past 1850 and a bit of population movement from Iran and the Caucasus into Ukraine seems to have occurred; and

(2) there's likely more inbreeding among Ashkenazim than most Arab groups (other than certain highly tribal groups, such as Bedouins), so the small amount of ancestry from Iran would persist in the gene pool.

Looking at my own RF results, I have ancestry from the Syria/Turkey border, and matches in Iran, Iraq, and even India but none south of a line running from Cairo to the Persian Gulf (there is one other match in Egypt but it is just tagged "Egypt," so, realistically, they're probably from Cairo too). This may mean very low testing rates from these places, or there might just be enough geographical barriers to that much gene flow significantly south.

As a side note, one of my lines was intermarried with an Aleppo family named Garazi, with known connections to Baghdad and possibly farther east -- I believe Gharazi is a name sometimes found in Iran?

Prior to the termination of CoA, I had a look at my Iranian DNA cousins matches who clearly has Iranian Jewish ancestry, and he has allot of Jewish matches in Europe in addition to his Jewish matches in Iran, Iraq etc.. But I have also noted a general trend where people from Turkey, Iraq and Iran etc get a few Jewish matches in Europe/US..I guess this is due to Jews having west Asian ancestry and not necessarily due to these people having Jewish ancestry..

Mellifluous
03-15-2016, 11:34 PM

Not sure if this means anything. I have some Jewish relatives too on 23andme and one is even on my X chromosome (so we shared a maternal ancestor). I don't think it necessarily means that I have distant Jewish ancestry.

Mellifluous
03-15-2016, 11:45 PM
[QUOTE=MfA;40558]My the Melkite match originally from Aleppo

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
1 segment
K1a

http://saintannmelkite.org/history/[/QUOTE

"Estimated that your common ancestor was born before 1904."

Are you on 23andme? If so, how were you able to check which year you shared your ancestors with them?

Hanna
06-07-2016, 05:21 PM
My grandfather just got a new match so I contacted the person. The new match is an Armenian and all 4 of his grandparent's are from Erzurum as my grandfather! So the connection geographically makes sense.

This is his relationship with my grandfather:

3rd to 6th Cousin
0.29% shared, 3 segments
J1d1 R1b1b2a

The relationship seems a bit close, very weird! Could be within the last century. Still surprising that my grandfather's side denies any Armenian ancestry. If the connection is within 100 years time span they should know?!

C J Wyatt III
06-07-2016, 05:35 PM
My grandfather just got a new match so I contacted the person. The new match is an Armenian and all 4 of his grandparent's are from Erzurum as my grandfather! So the connection geographically makes sense.

3rd to 6th Cousin
0.29% shared, 3 segments
J1d1 R1b1b2a

The relationship seems a bit close, very weird! Could be within the last century. Still surprising that my grandfather's side denies any Armenian ancestry. If the connection is within 100 years time span they should know?!

This might be equally as weird, but they could be distantly related more than one way, causing the closeness of the relationship to be overestimated.

Jack

Hanna
06-07-2016, 05:39 PM
This might be equally as weird, but they could be distantly related more than one way, causing the closeness of the relationship to be overestimated.

Jack

This is a possibility but this isn't the only Armenian who closely matches with my grandfather. He has even closer matches on FTDNA and the weird part is they are all from the same city as my grandfather. This is what surprises me, yet my grandfather's family has no clue about this.

olive picker
06-18-2016, 03:59 PM
I seem to get a huge amount of Montenegrin relatives on 23andme. Both Albanian Montenegrins and "ethnic" Montenegrins. Also, the Serbs on my relative list always seem to be connected to Montenegro in some way.

Overall, I would say this tool is pretty accurate in the first few pages, sort of becomes strange in the middle (WASP Americans, non-Balkan Euros show up), and starts being relatively accurate in the end (Greeks, more Balkanites)

AJL
06-18-2016, 04:24 PM
This is a possibility but this isn't the only Armenian who closely matches with my grandfather. He has even closer matches on FTDNA and the weird part is they are all from the same city as my grandfather. This is what surprises me, yet my grandfather's family has no clue about this.

A couple of possibilities come to mind, for example a deliberate concealing of the family's identity during the Ottoman government's deportations of Armenians in order to stay in the country.

Stephen1986
06-18-2016, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=MfA;40558]My the Melkite match originally from Aleppo

3rd to Distant Cousin
0.11% (8cM) shared
1 segment
K1a

http://saintannmelkite.org/history/[/QUOTE

"Estimated that your common ancestor was born before 1904."

Are you on 23andme? If so, how were you able to check which year you shared your ancestors with them?

They're using an extension such as 23++ - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/23++/cbeochihiklfmfokgpdodkcihlpcghbi?hl=en-GB.

evon
06-18-2016, 05:27 PM

3rd to 6th Cousin
0.29% shared, 3 segments
J1d1 R1b1b2a

0.29% etc dosnt have to be that recent, I have an Icelandic match via 23andme at 0.27% as an example, so I would think such matches can be a couple of 100 years old, it all depends on where the matching segments are located. If you are on the new 23andme platform you should be able to see where the segments match you...I am still on the old platform unfortunately.. :(

Hanna
06-20-2016, 06:51 PM
0.29% etc dosnt have to be that recent, I have an Icelandic match via 23andme at 0.27% as an example, so I would think such matches can be a couple of 100 years old, it all depends on where the matching segments are located. If you are on the new 23andme platform you should be able to see where the segments match you...I am still on the old platform unfortunately.. :(

The guy writes to me but for some reason he did not accept my share request. So I can't see where the matching segments are. I just thought the match was interesting cause he said that all of his grandparent's are from the same city as my grandfather.

How distant do you think these 2 matches are from FTDNA? They are also Armenian and the top match is again from the same city:

2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin, 66.73 segments in total, largest segment 17.05

3rd Cousin - 5th Cousin, 38.64 segments in total, largest segment 20.26

evon
06-20-2016, 10:13 PM
The guy writes to me but for some reason he did not accept my share request. So I can't see where the matching segments are. I just thought the match was interesting cause he said that all of his grandparent's are from the same city as my grandfather.

How distant do you think these 2 matches are from FTDNA? They are also Armenian and the top match is again from the same city:

2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin, 66.73 segments in total, largest segment 17.05

3rd Cousin - 5th Cousin, 38.64 segments in total, largest segment 20.26

So you are on the old platform like me? As everyone on the new platform are supposed to be able to see where the matching segments are located without having to share...

Hard to say, I have a "2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin Total 70.98 and Longest Block: 31.79" that I suspect is around 2-300 years old...

evon
07-08-2016, 08:09 PM
My granny got a match with a guy who has a Kurdish name the other day, judging by his maternal line it is a Romani related match,
but I cant be sure since I am stuck on the old platform and cant see what segments we share... :(

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp207/vulcanphoto/Screenshot%20from%202016-07-08%20220230.png

MfA
07-08-2016, 09:12 PM
My granny got a match with a guy who has a Kurdish name the other day, judging by his maternal line it is a Romani related match,
but I cant be sure since I am stuck on the old platform and cant see what segments we share... :(

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp207/vulcanphoto/Screenshot%20from%202016-07-08%20220230.png

judging by his paternal line it's more likely a European match. Romani line is strictly U3b1 btw. U3b is ambigous from Armenia to India.

evon
07-08-2016, 09:27 PM
judging by his paternal line it's more likely an European match. Romani line is strictly U3b1 btw. U3b is ambigous from Armenia to India.

Actually U3b is common in the Romani genepool, however it all be down to the lack of sub-clade testing over at 23andme etc...Either way, I suspected it might be a Romani related match due to the name and the U3b combination along with the European YDNA..But it could also be a Half Kurdish, half European guy and the mtDNA line is due to his Kurdish ancestry and the YDNA from his European ancestry...hard to say since my grandmother got matches from all over..

evon
07-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Was looking for a Greenlander DNA cousin of ours and I saw one of my former anonymous matches have become public, a Bosnian based match with mtDNA A4, must be very rare there..Since it is via my grandmother it is likely Romani related, either way it is another interesting clue to the connection between Eurasian steppe peoples and Romani peoples that was formed during the post-Golden horde era when both Romani and Tatars were kept as slaves and mixed..

0.11% DNA shared across 1 segment
Bosnia and Herzegovina
A4

Rafe
10-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Is anyone else having trouble loading the "Share and Compare" tool?

Stephen1986
11-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Someone on a Facebook group said that their DNAR matches had disappeared and in their place was a message - "We've just received your (name) data and are calculating your DNA Relatives results. They should be ready within two weeks", and the same has happened to those for my brother and myself. Is this a glitch or does it have it something to do with the site transition?

ancestryfan1994
11-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Someone on a Facebook group said that their DNAR matches had disappeared and in their place was a message - "We've just received your (name) data and are calculating your DNA Relatives results. They should be ready within two weeks", and the same has happened to those for my brother and myself. Is this a glitch or does it have it something to do with the site transition?

Same here, any idea what this is about?

evon
11-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Mine DNAR has vanished completely..

Ulla
06-29-2017, 05:56 PM
Hello... I'm new, but am interested to know how you found these maps. I am a U1a3 as well.... trying to figure things out. Thank you!

sarmadmalik88
07-25-2017, 11:09 PM
I am from Punjab, Pakistan and I received 116 relative matches. Most of them are from India/Pakistan and are under 0.2 percent. The top match is a peculiar one, it's a 0.36 percent shared with a girl of Cuban/Spanish and Colombian ancestry.

This is what the result says:

0.36 percent (3rd cousin)
Half identical
27 cM
1 segment

I'm confused about the possibility of this, can someone explain how many years back this could be?

Thanks

greerpalmer
07-26-2017, 04:58 AM
I am from Punjab, Pakistan and I received 116 relative matches. Most of them are from India/Pakistan and are under 0.2 percent. The top match is a peculiar one, it's a 0.36 percent shared with a girl of Cuban/Spanish and Colombian ancestry.

This is what the result says:

0.36 percent (3rd cousin)
Half identical
27 cM
1 segment

I'm confused about the possibility of this, can someone explain how many years back this could be?

Thanks

It's really hard to say one way or another--DNA inheritance is a tricky thing. Typically we predict two individuals with 53 half identical cMs are 3rd cousins or 2nd cousins once removed. 27 half identical cMs would indicate a likely 3rd cousin, once removed. However, since we inherit 50% of our each parent's DNA the same 50% could technically be passed down for generations. More likely, 27 cM can survive beyond a great great grandchild. I would start investigating by asking do you have European admix? Based on her background and your background, I'd guess British genes may be a bridge. If not, what European populations (or any) do you overlap on?

The fact that it is only 1 segment also leads us to believe this is a fairly recent connection rather than, say every one of your grandparents or great grandparents being very distant relatives.

sarmadmalik88
07-26-2017, 05:49 AM
It's really hard to say one way or another--DNA inheritance is a tricky thing. Typically we predict two individuals with 53 half identical cMs are 3rd cousins or 2nd cousins once removed. 27 half identical cMs would indicate a likely 3rd cousin, once removed. However, since we inherit 50% of our each parent's DNA the same 50% could technically be passed down for generations. More likely, 27 cM can survive beyond a great great grandchild. I would start investigating by asking do you have European admix? Based on her background and your background, I'd guess British genes may be a bridge. If not, what European populations (or any) do you overlap on?

The fact that it is only 1 segment also leads us to believe this is a fairly recent connection rather than, say every one of your grandparents or great grandparents being very distant relatives.

Thanks for the elaborate reply. 0.36 and 27 cM is apparently unlikely to be a false match. To my best knowledge, no one in my family has married outside the country/south asia . Intriguing...

Thanks

Searcher
09-11-2017, 08:05 PM
A big discovery I made was a Sarkar with Brahmin lineage. Coming from a Muslim background, that's more shocking than British/East Asian relatives.

Vicmalaga
10-16-2017, 12:00 PM
I am actually looking for distante relatives, 3C or 4C, trying to fill in a gap in my family tree. Problem is, whenever I contact those matches, people are not interested in get in touch because they are looking for closer matches. It's being a slow process... And on 23andMe I only have 800 matches, and those matches from Genesis don't answer their emails...

therrien.joel
03-14-2018, 06:31 PM
I'm sure the answer to this question is "it depends", but it was still a little surprising to find. On 23andMe, you can look at relatives based on country of origin for grandparents. I went through the list looking for anyone that reported all four grandparents from the same place. Most were as expected, but I found one person who had listed all four of her grandparents as coming from Poland. It's a distant match, only 0.3% is shared. I know of no Polish ancestry but also can't rule it out either. What is the likelihood that it is from someone that immigrated to Poland maybe 200 years ago?

Tolan
01-30-2019, 09:04 AM
I wanted to make diagrams from the telecable csv file on the 23andMe website.
With open office Calc.
If you have other ideas for diagrams, do not hesitate to propose it.

To obtain the two following diagrams, you first need to sort the columns "Chromosome number", then "chromosome start point", and finally, "chromosome end point".

Diagram 1:
It makes it possible to distinguish the segments that are rarely shared in the population (and therefore instructive, because they can be family or local) with the enormously common segments (and therefore not very instructive, because probably coming from a common background at the continental level) .
The width of the "blocks" is proportional to the number of people, and the height is the length of the shared segment.

Select the two columns, chromosome start and end point, click on diagrams and then choose "Stock charts".

Diagram 2:
It allows to easily distinguish your longest matches in centimorgan and classified by segment.
To make the diagram more readable, I inserted in the spreadsheet, two lines between each identified segment.
Select "genetic distance". I chose Area charts for chart selection.

Garvan
01-30-2019, 10:45 AM
I wanted to make diagrams from the telecable csv file on the 23andMe website.
<snip>
Diagram 1:
It makes it possible to distinguish the segments that are rarely shared in the population (and therefore instructive, because they can be family or local) with the enormously common segments (and therefore not very instructive, because probably coming from a common background at the continental level) .
</snip>

I did not know this. Do you have some reference to say these common segments are likely to be false positives? I suspect I do not have the same pattern as you. I will try to reproduce your graph with my data.

Thanks, interesting idea.

Garvan
01-30-2019, 11:08 AM
Diagram 1

Tolan
01-30-2019, 08:17 PM
I did not know this. Do you have some reference to say these common segments are likely to be false positives? I suspect I do not have the same pattern as you. I will try to reproduce your graph with my data.

Thanks, interesting idea.

I have a segment with 229 matches and another with 176!
Between them, they represent almost half of my matches!
Countries seem to be diverse, but all Europeans.
Segment length does not exceed 13 cM
I conclude that these are two segments that millions of Europeans must have ...