PDA

View Full Version : Learning basic haplogroups

Macir
02-19-2022, 11:03 AM
I have two questions about Yseq tests:

1) Is HVR1+HVR2 enough for mtdna haplogroup?
2) Is Yseq Alpha enough for Y dna group ?

I want to learn my haplogroups, I'm not interested in genetic matches or family history. Seems like Yseq is a cost efficient option ?

karwiso
02-19-2022, 03:39 PM
I would suggest that you take a 23andme or LivingDNA test. Both of them can give pretty nice info about your haplogroups, plus genetic matches if you want (at 23andme you can choose to not participate in DNA-matching). It would be the most cost effective option than doing 1) and 2).

ArmandoR1b
02-19-2022, 04:20 PM

I want to learn my haplogroups, I'm not interested in genetic matches or family history. Seems like Yseq is a cost efficient option ?

1) I would get the mtComplete so that all of the mtDNA positions are tested and you aren't left wondering if you are positive or negative for the ones that aren't tested by HVR1+HVR2

2) If you aren't interested in getting a complete Y-DNA test through a WGS400 I would get the Top-Level Orientation SNP Panel (https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=56898)since it includes many Superclade panels and haplogroup panels. If you get a 23andme or LivingDNA test then in a very large number of cases people end up wanting to know more about their haplogroup since they don't have a way to test at the level that Yseq can test at. Beware that you could end up wanting to know more even after Top-Level Orientation SNP Panel results then you would have to buy more panels and even then you could still be left wondering if you are negative or positive for some known SNPs not included in the test.

The combined price of mtComplete and Top-Level Orientation SNP Panel is $304. For just another $95 you can get a complete and accurate sequence of the Y chromosome and the mitochondrial DNA with the WGS400.

In the end for many cases it is cheaper to just get WGS400 off the bat.

Macir
02-19-2022, 05:48 PM
I should have mentioned. I live in Turkey and FTdna and YSEQ seems to be only companies that ships to Turkey.

400 $ is out of my budget. Maybe I can get Ydna snp panel first and do the mtdna test later.

ArmandoR1b
02-19-2022, 05:59 PM
I should have mentioned. I live in Turkey and FTdna and YSEQ seems to be only companies that ships to Turkey.

400 $ is out of my budget. Maybe I can get Ydna snp panel first and do the mtdna test later.

That's actually a good idea if you can at least afford the Top-Level Orientation SNP Panel

karwiso
02-20-2022, 02:40 AM

Y-DNA 37 is similar to Alpha-Beta panel at YSEQ. It will give you a basic Y-haplogroup and Y-DNA matches too. Then you can use Nevgen to predict a precisier subclade, but you need a bit of luck to get a better prediction. At last Black Friday Y-DNA37 was 79$. After that you can take a haploroup panel if you don't want go further with WGS400 at YSEQ.

mtFull at FTDNA is also worth to buy/upgrade to later. I think it was 139$ at last rebate periods.

ArmandoR1b
02-20-2022, 04:22 AM
Nevgen is far from being 100% useful. Nothing can replace SNP testing. Haplogroups are defined by SNPs.

MacUalraig
02-28-2022, 05:50 PM
Nevgen is far from being 100% useful. Nothing can replace SNP testing. Haplogroups are defined by SNPs.

Quite agree with all the above. Go straight to the 'TOP' haplogroup panel for modest budgets.

geebee
02-28-2022, 07:10 PM

I can only answer the first one. There are some mtDNA haplogroups -- including my own, H1bg -- which can only be defined using a SNP or SNPs in the coding region.

Of course, you might not have such a haplogroup. The trouble is, if you only test HVR1 and HVR2 it will be impossible to know.

capsian
03-03-2022, 11:23 PM

For your Questoin 1 no HVR1+HVR2 it's not enough for mtDNA