PDA

View Full Version : Source of light hair and eye pigmentation in some Berber tribes?

ZWQ
03-10-2022, 04:46 AM
I have heard many theories about the origins of blonde/red hair and light-coloured eyes in northern tribes like the Kabyles and Riffians. Usually people say it's due to contributions from the Vandals/Slavic slaves/Irish slaves/Pied noir. I'm not aware of any evidence for these claims.

I know there are plenty of people with blonde or red hair in the Middle East, are those traits North Africans brought with them when they migrated to North Africa?

A few of my Kabyle matches have small amounts of Scandinavian. Does that have any relation to these traits?

SilkRoad
03-10-2022, 06:52 AM
Genetic can't really tell you what is the origin of physical traits , and variation of genes are present in all humans. Blonde hair for instance appears to be very complicated roughly speaking geneticians don't know why a human might come out with blonde hair, like lets say 1 in 3 siblings. There is for example the widespread phenomenon of alot of children born with blonde hair and gradually getting darker as they hit adulthood.

They just know if genes are present in the general population its likely to pop out here and there.

I have heard many theories about the origins of blonde/red hair and light-coloured eyes in northern tribes like the Kabyles and Riffians. Usually people say it's due to contributions from the Vandals/Slavic slaves/Irish slaves/Pied noir. I'm not aware of any evidence for these claims.

I know there are plenty of people with blonde or red hair in the Middle East, are those traits North Africans brought with them when they migrated to North Africa?

A few of my Kabyle matches have small amounts of Scandinavian. Does that have any relation to these traits?

Vandal Germans myth was mostly vectored by French monastries. French anthropologists prefered reliying on prehistoric genesis to better understand the present.

However there are comparatively much older layer stray of European and Eurasian ancestries in NW Africa, for example all the Guanches show sizeable Corded Ware steppe ancestry , probably associated with the Bell Beaker cultures and there was an increase of light features in the Corded Ware horizon. Genes associated with light features were also sporadically noted in Neolithic Farmers from Aegean/Anatolia and Levant , and traces of them in remote Paleolithic Eurasian populations that could have contributed to North Africa.

pmokeefe
03-10-2022, 02:36 PM
Human pigmentation - phenotypes, genetics and ancestry - is complicated and have been heavily investigated by the research community. Here's my personal reading list on Pubmed (30 articles):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/1rAEJAJfgffQM/collections/61549310/public/