PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA Family Finder successes

SC11
09-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Anybody else had success in Family Finder? I found it to be the most informative of all the tests I've taken so far.

My Known and Documented Ancestry:

Me: 50% Filipino, 25% Volga German, 12.5% Iberian, 12.5% Native American
Mother: 50% Filipino, 50% Volga German
Father: 50% Filipino, 25% Iberian, 25% Native American
Maternal Grandfather: 100% Filipino
Maternal Grandmother: 100% Volga German
Paternal Grandfather: 100% Filipino
Paternal Grandmother: 50% Iberian, 50% Native American
Paternal Maternal Great Grandfather: Iberian with some Native American Ancestry
Paternal Maternal Great Grandmother: Native American with some Iberian Ancestry

Family Finder Cousin Matches: Philippines (Ilocano), Germany (German-American), New Mexico/Colorado and Peru (Mestizo Latin-American), Israel and Belarus (Jewish)

Information I found from Family Finder that I didn't know before:
Grew Tree on 2 lines and discovered the origin of these lines: Basque and Asturias Ancestry....

History-of-Things
09-04-2012, 05:34 AM
The fact that Family Finder has had a place for people to put up the gedcoms all along has been quite helpful (people don't need to respond to your emails in order for you to find the link). In terms of verified relatives I have had somewhat more success there than at 23andme (just recently of course they have also added a place for family trees, but we'll see if anyone actually bothers to upload them).

I have verified:
1 3rd cousin twice removed
1 4th cousin once removed
2 5th cousins
2 6th cousins
12 distant cousins

On rare occasions the contacts would also manage to get back to me with useful information. Some of these relationships are really quite old but yet retain large segments of DNA (for example 29.86 cM as largest segment, 60.71 cM total) for shared descent from George Stovall (ca. 1695-1786) by two different wives! Some of them seem to get me back close to some of my known 17th century immigrants (a husbandman from Surrey, a glover from East London with probable Shropshire roots, a linen weaver from Kent, a grocer turned planter from Bristol, etc...).

SC11
09-04-2012, 05:52 AM
I have verified:
1 3rd cousin twice removed
1 4th cousin once removed
2 5th cousins
2 6th cousins
12 distant cousins

That's quite a success. I have had several confirmed Cousin matches at varying degrees, mostly descended from the New Mexico/Colorado area. It seems many people test from those regions. My Philippines, Germany, Belarus and Israel Matches were all distant and I haven't found the exact connection yet, however the Matches alone verify what I already know and that in itself is a success in my opinion. The Basque and Asturias Ancestries were a pleasant surprise

CelticGerman
09-09-2012, 01:25 PM
It started slowly, but now I have 39 matches on FTDNA Family Finder, of which my four children and an uncle. 10 matches higher than 10 cM (best with 22.46 cM, origin unknown, surname seems from Croatia; 4 matches German origins, 1 English, 3 with a link to Denmark).

The Danish matches are important somehow, for I didn't knew before, if my known ancestors from Denmark (Tonder area in Southern Jutland) were ethnic Danes or members of the German minority in Denmark. It seems there is both. In any case it is probably difficult to find a "genetic border" between Danes on the one hand and Germans from Schleswig-Holstein (a region which was partly Danish sometimes) on the other hand.

My matches at lower cM-level seem to be Irish, Scotish and English above all. Several autosomal analysis considered my profile as Orcadian, Argyll or even Irish. I have no known ancestry there, but a lot of Northern German ancestry as well as the mentioned Danes. Considering my known ancestors, their regions of origin and the history of these regions, I estimate my ancestry at around 50% Old-Saxon (Hamburg, Holstein, Lower-Saxony, Mecklenburg) and around 20% Frisian, Danish, Dutch and Flemings all together. The specific migration patterns of Mecklenburg are taken into account here. May be Scots should be added as well, as they took part in settlements in this region. I have the Name Jordan in my tree, which might be British or Irish (a preacher)??? In my opinion this mix makes my genetic profile similar to many British profiles.

By the way, my uncle who is on Family Finder as well, has a lot of Scandinavian and British matches. Doug McDonald considered him as Irish or some Scandinavian. He is on my maternal side where our Danish ancestors can be found. He has two Y-lines I1 (anglo-saxon and ultra norse). In GEDmatch tools Norway and Sweden are close to the top. A few additional tests (SNP, STR) will be done sooner or later.

Conclusion: Family Finder is very useful for my research, above all if seen together with other tools ....