PDA

View Full Version : Big-Y Sales?

Brent.B
06-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum would know if ftDNA will be offering any sort of summer/seasonal sale for the Big-Y test? I'm classified as "L1029 C2D British Sub-cluster" over at the R1a1a and Subclades project, and I just received my Big-Y results. I contacted another member of this small sub-cluster, and he seems willing to participate in the Big-Y if there is a sale... so I hope there will be one soon.

Does ftDNA have a history of such seasonal sales?

Thanks,
Brent.B

Geolocke
06-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Brent.B, FTDNA had a sale last year when they introduced the Big-Y, but not since then. There are many who are waiting for the next sale.

lgmayka
06-06-2014, 11:04 PM
We pray that FTDNA will discount the Big Y for Father's Day. :)

Brent.B
06-07-2014, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I guess I'll keep my eyes open then...

Mehrdad
06-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum would know if ftDNA will be offering any sort of summer/seasonal sale for the Big-Y test? I'm classified as "L1029 C2D British Sub-cluster" over at the R1a1a and Subclades project, and I just received my Big-Y results. I contacted another member of this small sub-cluster, and he seems willing to participate in the Big-Y if there is a sale... so I hope there will be one soon.

Does ftDNA have a history of such seasonal sales?

Thanks,
Brent.B

Like you, I'm also waiting for them to go on sale again.

Geolocke
06-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Just got advanced notice that Big-Y will be on sale for Father's Day. $100 off the normal price of $695. In addition, those who have already taken the Big-Y are supposed to receive a $100 coupon good toward another Big-Y. So if such a person gives their coupon to someone else who orders the Big -Y during this sale, the effective price will be $495. General announcement should be made in the next day or two. Also there will be a sale on Family Finder (autosomal) tests.

thetick
06-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Any insight on a haplogroup specific deep clade test? My groups' admin has suggested waiting for this deep clade test since $400+ is out of my DNA budget.

AJL
06-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Any insight on a haplogroup specific deep clade test? My groups' admin has suggested waiting for this deep clade test since $400+ is out of my DNA budget.

Your admin may be able to coordinate to get four unrelated guys with no SNPs but broadly similar STRs to pool together to fund a test for just one of you. Then each of you is only out about $125 plus the prices of SNPs, and you stand a decent chance of being positive for some SNPs.

lgmayka
06-09-2014, 06:27 PM
In addition, those who have already taken the Big-Y are supposed to receive a $100 coupon good toward another Big-Y.
So far, I have only received one such coupon, even though I ordered multiple Big Y tests. I hope I get one coupon per Big Y order.

Has anyone received multiple coupons yet?

GTC
06-09-2014, 06:44 PM
We pray that FTDNA will discount the Big Y for Father's Day. :)

Your prayers have been answered. :)

:amen:

rms2
06-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Your prayers have been answered. :)

:amen:

Still a bit too pricey for me, unfortunately.

Mehrdad
06-09-2014, 07:13 PM

Yeah I was hoping it would go down to $495, $595 is still too pricey.

Pillar_of_fire
06-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Quote from GAP mail
Additionally, customers that have already purchased a Big Y test will receive a coupon for $100 off another Big Y! This coupon is valid through 6/17/2015 and can be used on any Big Y order. The best part is that if you combine it with the Father's Day sale, customers can get Big Y for only $495!

Pillar_of_fire
06-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Quote from GAP mail
Additionally, customers that have already purchased a Big Y test will receive a coupon for $100 off another Big Y! This coupon is valid through 6/17/2015 and can be used on any Big Y order. The best part is that if you combine it with the Father's Day sale, customers can get Big Y for only $495!

Contact the relevant Y-DNA project Admins, most probably they will coordinate the process of matching the coupons of already tested project members with the BIG Y new test particpants

Dubhthach
06-09-2014, 07:54 PM

Rich,

What sort of price would be optimal or you? Within the project we'll have a number of "Coupon codes" which would bring the test down to $495, the question then can the project part sponsor a test after that.

-Paul
(DF41+)

rms2
06-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Rich,

What sort of price would be optimal or you? Within the project we'll have a number of "Coupon codes" which would bring the test down to $495, the question then can the project part sponsor a test after that.

-Paul
(DF41+)

Until it comes down to $200, maybe $250, I'll just have to sit it out.

Táltos
06-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Until it comes down to $200, maybe $250, I'll just have to sit it out.
It is pricey. I just wrote to my brother's closest Y DNA matches to see if they want to pool our funds like AJL mentioned to thetick. So far I have heard back from one willing to do so. I'm hoping the rest will want to.

We all have DYS447=24, and DYS449=30 in common, and it is what seems to set us apart from the rest. So I'm not sure if it will really matter. The SNP I tested my brother at YSEQ for recently was negative and therefore he would not be part of the Q-Y3030 branch that can be seen here in the updated Q1b paper. https://www.academia.edu/7117246/The_update_of_the_phylogenetic_structure_of_Q1b_ha plogroup_based_on_full_Y-chromosome_sequencing

If anyone has a coupon they want to donate for a Q1b please let me know. Thanks!

rms2
06-09-2014, 11:20 PM
I just got finished organizing some of my y-dna relatives to pool our money and sponsor one of our group for an upgrade to 111 markers. That was tough enough!

I have one relative that I know of who has lots of money, and he didn't get it by giving money away. Besides, he just isn't interested in dna testing, unfortunately.

AJL
06-09-2014, 11:43 PM
So far, I have only received one such coupon, even though I ordered multiple Big Y tests. I hope I get one coupon per Big Y order.

Has anyone received multiple coupons yet?

Handling email has never been one of FTDNA's strong suits. The coupons should have bent sent per kit, but from what you say, may have been sent per email: I hope not.

rivergirl
06-10-2014, 01:54 AM
I have not received the email about the sale or voucher as yet.

rms2
06-10-2014, 12:16 PM
I have not received the email about the sale or voucher as yet.

If you use gmail, check your "Promotions" folder. That's where the email from FTDNA was in my case.

rivergirl
06-10-2014, 02:39 PM
I don't use gmail.
FTDNA emails always come straight into my yahoo inbox.
I have not received anything, as a Big Y tester (my brothers kit) or as a project admin for 5 projects.

Pillar_of_fire
06-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Handling email has never been one of FTDNA's strong suits. The coupons should have bent sent per kit, but from what you say, may have been sent per email: I hope not.

In fact there was one message per e-mail address, I wrote to helpdesk yesterday and today I received the numbers of the remaining coupons and already used them well.

lgmayka
06-11-2014, 11:46 PM
In fact there was one message per e-mail address, I wrote to helpdesk yesterday and today I received the numbers of the remaining coupons and already used them well.
I wrote to the special groups address for urgent matters. Janine gave me both of my coupons, but expressed surprise at the problem. I suspect that multiple emails were indeed generated, but then the bulk mail system dropped all but the first to a given address (as it would normally do for, say, bulk mail to project members).

MikeWhalen
06-12-2014, 03:17 AM
Some surprising but great news for me tonight
...I was contacted by one of my NPE dna cousins from the big 'Ulster' Vance family and 3 of them are willing to chip in for a Big Y test for me! They too had an extra coupon so the total was down to 495. Evidently, they consulted with Mike WWW and he felt that given the 2 Vance s that are being tested already, my sample would be the best of the large bunch of the rest of us, to get tested.

Not completely sure exactly why mine was the best choice, but I sure was pleased as there was no way I could afford the test by myself as I am right in the middle of a huge landscaping project at my house. I was able to scrape up enough to help make this happen and I guess that is half the purpose of this post.

Teamwork really can help make these things affordable, so don't be afraid to reach out to your 'internet cousins', as they say..."many hands make light work"

Thanks to Dave, Grace and especially the 'organizer' Marilyn of the many Vance lines.

Mike

rms2
06-12-2014, 02:58 PM
...I was contacted by one of my NPE dna cousins from the big 'Ulster' Vance family and 3 of them are willing to chip in for a Big Y test for me! They too had an extra coupon so the total was down to 495. Evidently, they consulted with Mike WWW and he felt that given the 2 Vance s that are being tested already, my sample would be the best of the large bunch of the rest of us, to get tested.

Not completely sure exactly why mine was the best choice, but I sure was pleased as there was no way I could afford the test by myself as I am right in the middle of a huge landscaping project at my house. I was able to scrape up enough to help make this happen and I guess that is half the purpose of this post.

Teamwork really can help make these things affordable, so don't be afraid to reach out to your 'internet cousins', as they say..."many hands make light work"

Thanks to Dave, Grace and especially the 'organizer' Marilyn of the many Vance lines.

Mike

Lucky! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFN_tBT-xZE&feature=kp)

Man!

MikeWhalen
06-12-2014, 05:18 PM
I was, luck of the Irish for sure!
... and within 24 hours, everyone ponied up the money to Mike WWW's L513 project and he successfully put in the order for me...so now the big wait!

2-3 months from what I glean from others posts?

Mike

Lucky! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFN_tBT-xZE&feature=kp)

Man!

AJL
06-12-2014, 05:23 PM

Mike, did you get this guy to kick a few bucks in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN9Y6gunB3A

:)

MikeWhalen
06-12-2014, 07:57 PM
ummm, dont think he has been tested yet so he might not be of our line

M

Mike, did you get this guy to kick a few bucks in?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN9Y6gunB3A

lgmayka
06-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Perhaps I was not the only one who initially misread the FTDNA Big Y $100-off coupons. Any unused coupons remain valid for another year.
---
Conditions: The Big Y coupon can be redeemed only 1 time. It cannot be combined with other Big Y coupons and expires on 6/17/2015.
---

FaerieQueene
06-24-2014, 02:55 AM
I know Big-Y was currently/recently on sale, but I was in the process of receiving my Y-DNA 67-marker results last week, so I was in no big hurry(pun may or may not intended). From what I understand, Big-Y is the deepest clad testing you can go? I don't think you can upgrade to Big-Y so I will take things one at a time and eventually upgrade to 111 markers first(may not be worth it in terms of matches since I don't have matches at the 67-marker level). But then again, I'm mostly doing this for the deep ethnic origins aspect and not so much genealogical, and as many STRs as possible will be very useful in the long run.

Pillar_of_fire
06-24-2014, 03:53 AM
I don't think you can upgrade to Big-Y so I will things one at a time and eventually upgrade to 111 markers first(may not be worth it in terms of matches since I don't have matches at the 67-marker level). But then again, I'm mostly doing this for the deep ethnic origins aspect and not so much genealogical, and as many STRs as possible will be very useful in the long run.

BIG Y is independent test. You can even take the BIG Y if you have done only 12 markers (I did exactly this for two relatives - they were tested Y12 - the BIG Y was on sale - this is what I ordered- whenever is the next sale of Y-67 is then I will order the upgrade to Y-67). All depends on the testing strategy and the funds

FaerieQueene
06-24-2014, 03:59 AM
BIG Y is independent test. You can even take the BIG Y if you have done only 12 markers (I did exactly this for two relatives - they were tested Y12 - the BIG Y was on sale - this is what I ordered- whenever is the next sale of Y-67 is then I will order the upgrade to Y-67). All depends on the testing strategy and the fundsIn your opinion, what would be the difference between the Big-Y test and the 111-markers test?

By the way, it's nice to meet a fellow H13er; I have H13a2 in my family from my paternal grandmother.

Pillar_of_fire
06-24-2014, 05:50 AM
As a beginning BIG Y is a SNP [single nucleotide polymorphism] test - while Y111 is STR [short tandem repeat] test

The BIG Y test gives as by-product results on Y STRs but these are only visible in the BAM file and can not be used for STR matching at FTDNA. If you need the matching utility at STR level then you should test STR.

I have noticed a shift from STR to SNP focus. The STR haplotype information per haplogroup has grown and the next step to drive haplotee development is a deep dive on SNP's

lgmayka
06-24-2014, 09:53 AM
I don't think you can upgrade to Big-Y so I will things one at a time and eventually upgrade to 111 markers first(may not be worth it in terms of matches since I don't have matches at the 67-marker level). But then again, I'm mostly doing this for the deep ethnic origins aspect and not so much genealogical, and as many STRs as possible will be very useful in the long run.
Frankly...If you intend to eventually order the Big Y, and you do not have very close matches at the 67-marker level, I see no reason to order the 67-to-111 upgrade. I would advise that you save up your money for the Big Y. Professional analysis (for $49) of the Big Y yields over 400 STRs--although they cannot be entered into FTDNA's matching.

FaerieQueene
06-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Thank you Pillar_of_fire and lgmayka for your helpful explanations about Big-Y. I'm gathering 67/111-markers is best for 'genealogical' and Big-Y is best for 'deep ethnic origins'(which is my main purpose of ydna testing).

Humanist
06-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Thank you Pillar_of_fire and Igmayka for your helpful explanations about Big-Y. I'm gathering 67/111-markers is best for 'genealogical' and Big-Y is best for 'deep ethnic origins'(which is my main purpose of ydna testing).

If you have got the funds, go with the Big-Y. :)

parasar
06-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Thank you Pillar_of_fire and Igmayka for your helpful explanations about Big-Y. I'm gathering 67/111-markers is best for 'genealogical' and Big-Y is best for 'deep ethnic origins'(which is my main purpose of ydna testing).

Once sufficient numbers have tested, Big-Y will provide almost the same level of resolution, if not higher, as STR111 for genealogical purposes.

rivergirl
06-25-2014, 12:09 AM
I managed to get three Big Y tests orderd for relatives using the coupons and Sale price.
All under L21, - M222, Z253 and L144/L195. Looking forward to the results.

MikeWhalen
07-07-2014, 06:10 PM
I see by my FTdna home page that on 6/12/2014 my BigY was Ordered and is in batch 575 and that on 6/19/2014 it was Batched as 575

so today is 7/7, so that makes it around 18 days since being batched

anyone know or have an estimate when batch 575 will be done...or know what was the last batch to be done?

thanks

Mike

brygian
07-07-2014, 06:23 PM
A couple of days ago I got results for two kits which were in batch 574.

David Mc
07-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks, Mike, for asking (I'm also in batch 575) and thanks brygian for answering! Not too much longer to wait... maybe.

MikeWhalen
07-07-2014, 09:34 PM
True David, cant be too much longer, short of acts of God and such :)

TY Brygian for the good feedback

M

Pillar_of_fire
07-08-2014, 04:43 AM
I see by my FTdna home page that on 6/12/2014 my BigY was Ordered and is in batch 575 and that on 6/19/2014 it was Batched as 575

so today is 7/7, so that makes it around 18 days since being batched

anyone know or have an estimate when batch 575 will be done...or know what was the last batch to be done?

thanks

Mike

Be aware that different tests in the same batch have different turnover and due dates. The batch is indication of when the sample was 'in' the lab, while this is not an indication of 'out'. The results brygian is talking about are not BIG Y tests.
I have two BIG Y samples in batch 574 and the estimated delivery time is 3-5 weeks from now. If you go to the 'waiting for results' square you will see the estimated remaining turnaround time for your sample.

MikeWhalen
07-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Weeeell, that was too good to be true, eh?

thanks Pillar for the clarification, and following your hint, I kept digging on my FTdna page and found they estimated my results in 4-6 weeks
so I'm guessing end of August, beginning of Sept

M

Be aware that different tests in the same batch have different turnover and due dates. The batch is indication of when the sample was 'in' the lab, while this is not an indication of 'out'. The results brygian is talking about are not BIG Y tests.
I have two BIG Y samples in batch 574 and the estimated delivery time is 3-5 weeks from now. If you go to the 'waiting for results' square you will see the estimated remaining turnaround time for your sample.

soulblighter
07-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Weeeell, that was too good to be true, eh?

thanks Pillar for the clarification, and following your hint, I kept digging on my FTdna page and found they estimated my results in 4-6 weeks
so I'm guessing end of August, beginning of Sept

M

The strange thing is that FTDNA displays two different expected dates for the same kit when logged in with sample kit vs looking at pending results for a project as a group admin.
My dad's FF kit is in 574, and when first batched, it said 1-2 weeks (4 weeks ago) when logged in through the kit, and still does. But when I looked at it from the group admin page of my surname project, it has an expected date of 7/31 right from when the kit was batched.
I don't understand why FTDNA would shoot itself in the foot this way.

MikeWhalen
07-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks soulblighter...with the hint you provided, I went to my GAP admin page for the Whalen/Phelan surname project and found they had 8/7/2014 as the expected date...which would be 4 weeks and the earliest of the possible ready dates my personal FTdna page said

seems like FTdna has 2 different parts of their process putting out different dates based on different criteria-odd to say the least

oh well, nothing to be done about it so I wont fuss
the DNA gods will go at their own pace

Mike

The strange thing is that FTDNA displays two different expected dates for the same kit when logged in with sample kit vs looking at pending results for a project as a group admin.
My dad's FF kit is in 574, and when first batched, it said 1-2 weeks (4 weeks ago) when logged in through the kit, and still does. But when I looked at it from the group admin page of my surname project, it has an expected date of 7/31 right from when the kit was batched.
I don't understand why FTDNA would shoot itself in the foot this way.

MikeWhalen
07-08-2014, 10:54 PM
lol!
so within hours of figuring all the above out, I come home to find a sample kit in the mail box with a very polite note saying they tested what I had stored at FTdna and it was not high enough quality to use, so mouth swab and send back

obviously, I am not batch 575

I am not complaining mind you...the fact that their quality control caught this pleases me immensely, so its the old swab the cheek time and who knows when its all done...before Xmas and I am happy

M

David Mc
07-08-2014, 11:21 PM
I have to admit, I've been checking my post with dread for the last couple of weeks. I had hoped they would email me if they needed a new swab, but I guess not. I guess I'll just have to live in hope for now.

MikeWhalen
07-25-2014, 03:00 AM
So, 15 days after I sent back the new swabs, FTdna sent me an email confirming that they got it-back to the waiting game

Mike

Emmerson
08-01-2014, 12:23 AM
The FGC Y Prime DNA Test At A US Lab Is Now $589 Per Their Website.

What is the average expected turnaround time for the Y Prime test once FGC has the sample back?

What is the average expected turnaround time for the $595 FTDNA Big Y test once FTDNA has the sample back?

Is the FGC Y Prime average coverage range in the 90% to 95% range versus the $999 FGC Y Elite test?

Is the FTDNA Big Y average coverage range in the 50% to 65% range versus the $999 FGC Y Elite test?

FGC claims near a 99.9% mtDNA coverage range (test is free at FGC with Y Prime or Y Elite) versus a FTDNA FMS near 100% Coverage Range for their separate $199 test, is that correct?

MikeWhalen
11-21-2014, 07:02 PM
YaY!
I got my Big Y results on 10/28/2014

I had to check my previous posts to find that on 6/12/2014 my BigY was Ordered and was batched on 6/19/2014 as 575
-so it was 4 months and 14 days from start to finish, for those that are interested.

As a reminder, I was one of 3 samples sent in as part of the Whalen-Vance group 2a bunch, to try to see if we had our own SNP and unravel any info for both our immediate family lines and the larger L513 group as to how this line historically developed.

Trying to keep things short and sweet, we succeed in finding several unique SNP's for our grouping!. For developmental reasons, MikeWWW is taking the first unique SNP in a 41 marker phylogenic block as the 'named' SNP, so we are now Z23506. There was another candidate for our 'naming' SNP, FGC16870 as it was noted first, but for a variety of what seems to me to be hard core science reasons, Z23506 is the wiser choice. We actually don't know which of the 42 unique SNP's the 3 of us share in our Big Y test is historically the first to occur, so things might eventually change, but for now...

ZOWIE, I'm a Z23506

Apparently, according to the smart kids in the class (MikeWWW, David Vance ect), another interesting and possible wider ranging thing was found in our sample as we all turned out to be S5668- S6365-. Using MikeWWW's own words when he answered a question of mine in the YahooGroups L513 project....
"In Bruce's chart (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17907527/R1b-L513_Tree_Chart_Chromo2.pdf )
you can see that he has two big branches, one for S5668 and one for S6365. Most of us L513 people fit into one of these two branches, but the Vance/Whalen VW group does not."
Apparently, there are a few other surnames that are similar and MikeWWW feels our results mean they have to add a whole new basic arm to L513 tree...exciting stuff for us geek types!

I will post 2 jpegs I made from some stuff MikeWWW and I created, to help me figure stuff out and remember who was who...fyi, for 111 tested STR's, Dave Vance has a genetic distance of 6 and Marilyn (Kenson Vance) is at 9

Many thanks to my Vance cousins Dave, Marilyn and Grace that organized this testing and helped fund the majority of my test.
Many Many thanks to the citizen scientists that are leading much of the progress on this through their volunteer efforts, particularly MikeWWW!!

regards
Mike

So, 15 days after I sent back the new swabs, FTdna sent me an email confirming that they got it-back to the waiting game

Mike