PDA

View Full Version : natemelistic -do you know this word?

MikeWhalen
06-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Natemelistic is a word that was used in a significant legal finding in Canada in the 1990's. Given that English common law is the base of our system, it might have its roots there. In any case, I have tried to find a definition for this word and have failed miserably. I thought given all the varied talents found on this board, maybe someone else might have some luck.

here is a bit more context..."The sources of the general fiduciary duty do not lie, then, in a natemelistic concern to protect a 'weaker' or 'primitive' people, as has sometimes been suggested"

Thanks for any help

Mike

Ann Turner
06-09-2014, 12:02 AM
The original wording appears to be paternalistic.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CH4AmnvBFa4C&pg=PA65&lpg=PA65&dq=fiduciary+duty+primitive+people&source=bl&ots=1nnlsO0HXJ&sig=0O70YfoARZwYgQF9VgvQ7_85kLM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BPmUU43WG4HooATen4GACQ&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAA

Ian B
06-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Mike: Can you give me the context in which this was used? Maybe the sentence or paragraph in which it was used.

Regards

Ian

MikeWhalen
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Ian
I think Ann discovered the problem, it seems that in the original decision, the author, a Canadian Judge, used the word paternalistic. Later, possibly in a legal journal reporting the decision, they buggered up the spelling and we got the non word 'natemelistic'.
The person I am helping had a copy from the journal and needs the info for work he is doing-he has to understand the case law decisions that might affect his stuff, and was having a ton of trouble because he could not find the meaning of the non word!

Mike