PDA

View Full Version : "Drug gives bald man full head of hair"

Humanist
06-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Drug gives bald man full head of hair (http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/20/health/baldness-cure-alopecia/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

By Elizabeth Cohen, Senior Medical Correspondent
Fri June 20, 2014

Kyle Rhodes loves to consider the possibilities: He could sport a long, full Viking beard, or maybe grow a mullet like his favorite 1980s hockey players. Or he could get something nice and clean like George Clooney's signature 1990s Caesar haircut.

They're all choices he's never had before -- he was diagnosed with alopecia areata at age 2, and the hair on his head started falling out in patches. By 18, he'd lost all the hair on his head and body.

Mehrdad
06-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Amazing is all I can say. Perhaps being bald will be more of a fashion statement then a genetic issue in the near future. I mean people will still carry the gene, but they can block the effects with this product and with propecia etc.

DMXX
06-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Fantastic result. Autoimmune disorders are very hard to treat and biologic agents developed over the past few decades have made serious headway with respect to the debilitation brought about through them.

The conventional treatment endorsed by many consultant dermatologists for localised alopecia areata are topical steroid creams/drops. They do work in some people, but the response rate isn't particularly high, and it takes time for the effects to kick in.

In Kyle Rhodes' situation, steroids would have probably been attempted, but nothing's mentioned regarding how successful it was. Another possibility would have been oral steroids, but they come with significant side-effects not associated with the topical applications (e.g. hypertension, osteoporosis, Cushing's syndrome).

The article also correctly states this drug will likely be of no benefit for those with male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia), a condition defined by follicle sensitivity to circulating androgens (often normal in value), causing their shrinkage. I understand from lurking various websites that a drug blocking androgen receptors at hair follicles is currently undergoing trials and due for release in the next few years. Here's hoping other men will also enjoy Mr. Rhodes' success in the near future.

ilmari
06-21-2014, 07:08 PM
I have alopecia areata universalis. It turned on in me in the disco era. Majorly depressing at the time. Unfortunately, I did everything to get my hair back, I ruined my body. I am fortunate to have a fairly good shaped head. I wouldn't want hair now, and since the follicles have been dormant for so long, I doubt it would do much.

AJL
06-22-2014, 11:58 PM
I have alopecia areata universalis. It turned on in me in the disco era.

Bad timing! Those were the 3-4 years when body hair was actually popular.

rms2
06-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Bad timing! Those were the 3-4 years when body hair was actually popular.

And puka shells.

ilmari
06-27-2014, 07:15 AM
And puka shells.

I still have 'em in my valet box.

MikeWhalen
06-27-2014, 11:35 AM
what the hell is a puka shell? I was around during that era but it sounds like some big city thing
...where I come from, well, you dont want to know what it sounds like its for
:)

Mike

rms2
06-27-2014, 11:55 AM
what the hell is a puka shell? I was around during that era but it sounds like some big city thing
...where I come from, well, you dont want to know what it sounds like its for
:)

Mike

Puka shell necklaces were all the rage among the disco set in the late 1970s and into the 1980s.

Puka Shell Necklace (http://www.skooldays.com/categories/fashion/fa1771.htm)

Puka Shell Necklace 2 (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Puka+Shell+Necklace)