PDA

View Full Version : Getting timed out

R. Walker
09-06-2012, 03:25 AM
I seem to get timed out while composing replies. Even though I have previously logged in, I get a message when I try to post, that I haven't permission. So I have to save the message and log in again. What should I do?

Scarlet Ibis
09-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Does it say something about a "token" expiring?

R. Walker
09-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Hi Scarlet Ibis,
I'll look next time. A;; I remember is the not having permission message.

R. Walker
09-10-2012, 12:28 AM
This is the message I got today. I was reading a an article on a link someone provided. When I came back to Anthrogenica to thank the person this message came up: "You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again." Is there a limit to the time one can be inactive or logged into a link?

Ezana
09-10-2012, 12:43 AM
That's not an error. It means that your cookies have been cleared (so you've been logged out, it doesn't remember your session). If you go to the options for your browser and set it to remember/save cookies, then you should stay logged in and not have that problem anymore.

R. Walker
09-11-2012, 04:13 AM
@ Ezana,
Thanks for your reply. My Cookie setting says "keep until I close Firefox". My choices are "until they expire" and "ask every time". I do not understand why I get cut off because I am not leaving Firefox, and I always open links in a separate tab. It seems to be time related.

Ezana
09-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Do you have sessions expire like that for other sites/forums?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Scarlet Ibis
09-12-2012, 03:44 AM
Also, this might seem like a silly question of me to ask, but I have to. Do you have the box checked that says "Remember me?" underneath your login details?

R. Walker
09-12-2012, 03:55 AM
I have clicked on it several times, but it refuses to stay checked. The next time I log in, it is un-checked. Should I do that every time I log in?

Scarlet Ibis
09-17-2012, 02:55 AM
I have clicked on it several times, but it refuses to stay checked. The next time I log in, it is un-checked. Should I do that every time I log in?

Hi R. Walker,

Sorry it took a few days for me to get back. It should stay checked, and you should remain logged in until you manually log out. I know you said you're not leaving the Firefox browser, though, so your browser shouldn't be deleting cookies on the settings you have. Are you having this issue with any other Vbulletin forums you're using?

The default setting for a session timeout on Vbulletin 4 is 15 minutes. So if you are taking longer than 15 minutes to reply to a post, then that could be the problem. If you've had the "stay logged in" button ticked, though, then a timeout should should only happen if you're using the full feature reply (the one where you click "go to advanced" to reply, and not if you're just using the quick reply feature.

VinceT
10-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Bumping this thread.

I'm regularly being logged out automatically after the 4 to 15 minute time-out interval during a session. This is particularly annoying because I sometimes need research or fact-check my replies, which can often take longer than 4 minutes. And then after logging back in, the flags for "new posts since last visit" are reset.

This often happens during a "quick-reply". It has only been an issue during the past several months. Is there a setting in my profile settings that was introduced or changed within the past year?

DMXX
10-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Bumping this thread.

I'm regularly being logged out automatically after the 4 to 15 minute time-out interval during a session. This is particularly annoying because I sometimes need research or fact-check my replies, which can often take longer than 4 minutes. And then after logging back in, the flags for "new posts since last visit" are reset.

This often happens during a "quick-reply". It has only been an issue during the past several months. Is there a setting in my profile settings that was introduced or changed within the past year?

Hi VinceT,

No, we have not changed any profile, cookie or login settings in the past year, or indeed since launch. Our "timeout" is set to the default 15 minutes.

I've been experiencing premature automated logouts myself lately after switching laptops and managed to resolve it by clearing out my cookies with Firefox and adjusting the settings, which I see Ezana suggested three years ago here also.

Regarding the messages, we've enacted an "autosave" function so your draft posts are stored in your current session for later posting, so you shouldn't ordinarily be losing the content you've spent time proof-reading/fact-checking.

If the default 15 minutes doesn't suffice for our members and is still too short, that can be amended following some feedback from our regulars. :)

fjnj
10-19-2015, 06:39 PM
I encounted the automatic timeout twice today while scanning through the original pdf file to find the exact quotes. The 15 min limit may indeed be too short.

DMXX
10-19-2015, 08:03 PM
I can confirm something's up for sure; logged in exactly three minutes ago and was prompted to log back in. We will look into this immediately.

bored
10-19-2015, 09:16 PM
I am having the same problem but was afraid to complain because people might think I'm saying it to malign Iranians.

DMXX
10-19-2015, 09:23 PM
I've gone ahead and extended the timeout period to one hour up from 15 minutes, for everyone's attention.

I am having the same problem but was afraid to complain because people might think I'm saying it to malign Iranians.

If that's a joke, I'm afraid it's lost on me. Feel free to PM the punchline in the interim.

DMXX
10-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Any developments since the login period change, ladies and gents? Are we happy, or is there still an issue?

bored
10-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Any developments since the login period change, ladies and gents? Are we happy, or is there still an issue?

Looks like it's been solved. Thanks.

VinceT
10-20-2015, 10:36 PM
Seems alright so far; but will bump again if the issue persists.