PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Icons

DMXX
06-26-2014, 02:26 AM
We have just phased in a whole set of custom-made icons here at Anthrogenica, each tailored to their representative sections. These have been designed to suit all the current skins.

A quick poll accompanies this announcement to sample the response to these new icons. If the community would pardon my frankness, I'm pretty pleased with the result.

MikeWhalen
06-26-2014, 02:55 AM
very spiffy, do we know who the artist is?

Mike

DMXX
06-26-2014, 03:11 AM
very spiffy, do we know who the artist is?

Mike

Yours truly; with the assistance of Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/), of course. :)

[Edit]: I cannot take all of the credit though. I'm grateful to the original vector creators (attributions in index footer) for giving us the means to develop them.

Alpine Hominin
06-26-2014, 03:58 AM
I like them, good job DMXX.

FaerieQueene
06-26-2014, 06:03 PM
I like them, yes. Good job, DMXX. They do look better than the old ones. :)

DMXX
06-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Thank you all for the feedback!

I have just added some new ones for the Commercial Genetics (http://www.anthrogenica.com/forumdisplay.php?2-Commercial-Testing) section and will be making one final tweak to the others now.

MikeWhalen
06-26-2014, 08:57 PM
you da man DMXX!

Yours truly; with the assistance of Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/), of course. :)

[Edit]: I cannot take all of the credit though. I'm grateful to the original vector creators (attributions in index footer) for giving us the means to develop them.

rms2
06-27-2014, 12:03 PM
I like the new ones, but, honestly, I don't remember what the old ones looked like. :redface:

basque
06-27-2014, 09:46 PM
:unsure: I have to admit at first i thought my computer had gone funny :laugh:

But i do like the new ones

basque :rolleyes:

thetick
06-27-2014, 10:31 PM
I don't mean any disrespect but I'm not a fan of all the icons being grey? My avatar is also all grey so I would like a little color. Note I'm too lazy to change the default template if that is possible?

DMXX
06-27-2014, 10:55 PM
I don't mean any disrespect but I'm not a fan of all the icons being grey? My avatar is also all grey so I would like a little color. Note I'm too lazy to change the default template if that is possible?

Absolutely no disrespect taken. I have been contemplating adding some colour to the central images. If time permits I'll experiment with them and see how they appear.

Note the monotone colouring was intentional. We have several other skins (see bottom-left of any page) that have wildly differing colour schemes. Creating coloured icons that would complement all of those is no small feat. If you'd like some instant colour to your pages, selecting one of those skins would certainly be fruitful.

vettor
06-27-2014, 11:59 PM
I prefer one colour for each group of icons, but I dislike the grey colour.

If you need to only have one colour, make it anything except, grey, black or white

my opinion

DMXX
06-30-2014, 06:32 PM
After some experimenting this weekend following the recent feedback, I have added some colour to the icons. Each forum section has a distinct palette. I'll be instituting these in over the next few hours.

[Edit]: The new icons are now in place.

Táltos
07-01-2014, 04:07 AM
After some experimenting this weekend following the recent feedback, I have added some colour to the icons. Each forum section has a distinct palette. I'll be instituting these in over the next few hours.

[Edit]: The new icons are now in place.
I like them. They are easy on the eyes.

thetick
07-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Good job on the new icons. Thanks.

Gray Fox
07-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Looks wonderful guys!! You've truly created the successor to the once mighty Dna-forums! :hail:

DMXX
07-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Just a quick comment regarding the icons;

I have instituted a "dimming" feature on them, meaning members who have previously visited sections where there is no further activity will see them at 30% of their normal opacity.

This was present with the original forum icons, albeit to a lesser extent. I personally didn't notice they were dimmed until I viewed the settings.