PDA

View Full Version : The origin and spread of R-L2

Alpine Hominin
07-01-2014, 07:55 PM
I wanted to jump-start the discussion of the origin and spread of R-L2. What are the current theories on the origin of L2? What culture(s) played a role in its spread?

vettor
07-01-2014, 09:15 PM
I wanted to jump-start the discussion of the origin and spread of R-L2. What are the current theories on the origin of L2? What culture(s) played a role in its spread?

join this discussion

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?2777-Raetian-Cluster&p=44021&viewfull=1#post44021

Alpine Hominin
07-01-2014, 09:29 PM
That discussion seems to be about a specific cluster of L2 focused in North East Italy rather than a discussion of L2.

Agamemnon
07-01-2014, 09:39 PM
I wonder how Z49 relates to L20... I think both could've come with La Tène... If anything, I'd be willing to bet that U152 wasn't rare in the Eastern Beaker horizon.

vettor
07-01-2014, 10:35 PM
join this discussion

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?2777-Raetian-Cluster&p=44021&viewfull=1#post44021

with 92% of Ladin ( North-East Italians and Austrians) being L2 I say it's a very good area to begin with

Agamemnon
07-01-2014, 10:53 PM
with 92% of Ladin ( North-East Italians and Austrians) being L2 I say it's a very good area to begin with

It really depends on the kind of L2 which is to be found there, if there is much diversity then it will immediately prove to be a valuable starting point.
Until we get more data, I think the Alps' northern slopes prove to be a very good candidate for L2's birthplace (but of course, I could be wrong).

Alpine Hominin
07-02-2014, 12:54 AM
The Northern Alps is the one I see most often as well, usually based on modern prevalence. I will definitely be following the other thread as well, thank you Vettor for the link. Is there any information regarding L2 diversity in the Ladin areas? I don't believe I've ever read about an area having a higher L2 concentration than the one you've mentioned.

vettor
07-02-2014, 02:42 AM
The Northern Alps is the one I see most often as well, usually based on modern prevalence. I will definitely be following the other thread as well, thank you Vettor for the link. Is there any information regarding L2 diversity in the Ladin areas? I don't believe I've ever read about an area having a higher L2 concentration than the one you've mentioned.

Read post 2 of the "raetian cluster" thread. The 2 links are papers from about a year ago..............the second link of my post has DYS numbers ( at the bottom ) in a spreadsheet , IIRC, its separated into 4 villages

Alessio B. Bedini
07-18-2014, 07:06 AM
The highest presence of L2, in the resident population, today we have between Lorraine, Wallonia and the Rhine Valley. I am convinced that it is precisely in these areas that are born the firsts L2 and then from there have spread both towards the north and to the south.

Alpine or Italian origin is possible, but it remains to understand why they are now so massively popular in central Europe.