PDA

View Full Version : Recent BigY VCF/BED .zip files empty?

cmorley
07-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Today I received BigY VCF/BED packages from two separate individuals. Each .zip file sent to me had a file size of zero. I myself tried to download one of these files from FTDNA's website, and the file size was again zero.

Are others encountering the same thing?

jdean
07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Just tried it now and YES !!!

cmorley
07-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Just tried it now and YES !!!

I take that as confirmation that others are having the same problem. Thank you.

I sincerely hope this is accidental and temporary. And hastily resolved. The timing is, to say the least, poor, given the recent launch of my Big Y VCF/BED analysis service (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?2690-clarifYDNA-com-clarifY-your-quot-next-generation-quot-Y-DNA-results).

I know one other person has already emailed FTDNA about this. So there is no need for more people to report the problem. I will be calling FTDNA about this, first thing Monday morning.

jdean
07-06-2014, 07:41 PM
While you're at it ask them if they'll turn downloading RAW results for admin again as opposed to the Zero Fat diet version. It's a bit of a pain if you're involved in running very large haplogroup projects and have to ask members to send you a copy of the raw data.

Really I don't understand this decision one jot, the reason they gave is the files may contain information from areas outside of the Y ????

Gray Fox
07-07-2014, 03:33 AM
I seem to be having this issue with my family finder raw data as well.

cmorley
07-08-2014, 01:55 PM
I will be calling FTDNA about this, first thing Monday morning.

I did, and they were already aware of the error. They couldn't explain why it manifested over a long weekend.

It now appears resolved, for BigY data and FF data.

jdean, I pointed out your post, in a follow-up email to FTDNA (sent to them before the issue was resolved). I would also like to know their reasoning.

jdean
07-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Any news on a date this bug is likely to be fixed ?

We've a new Big Y in the DF49 project and twiddling my thumbs !!!

cmorley
07-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Any news on a date this bug is likely to be fixed ?

We've a new Big Y in the DF49 project and twiddling my thumbs !!!

When I checked on Tuesday (see above), the FF raw data and VCF/BED downloads were no longer empty.

I haven't received a reply from FTDNA re: my Tuesday email -- an email which (amongst other things) brought up the lack of VCF/BED availability for project administrators.