PDA

View Full Version : Why all the fuss?

user
07-12-2014, 02:37 PM
If I am correct on this, OOA states that we all have a common African ancestor that evolved into homo sapien sapien before emigrating from Africa. While Multiregional states that we all have a common, African, ancestor that left Africa and then later evolved into homo sapien sapien. Both theories essentially state the same thing (that we all have a common African ancestors, and that we all evolved into homo sapien sapiens) so why do some people try to use Multiregional as a justification for the idea that the "races" are genetically different when there has been a significant amount of research that supports otherwise.

As far as I know the only difference is in non-Sub Saharan Africans who have a certain percentage of Neanderthal DNA. However, this does not negate the fact that we are all homo sapien sapiens (modern humans) regardless. I know all people don't use multiregional for ulterior motives but some people do. However, they never use OOA for those same purposes.

Why such a fuss?

AJL
07-12-2014, 04:39 PM
If I am correct on this, OOA states that we all have a common African ancestor that evolved into homo sapien sapien before emigrating from Africa. While Multiregional states that we all have a common, African, ancestor that left Africa and then later evolved into homo sapien sapien. Both theories essentially state the same thing (that we all have a common African ancestors, and that we all evolved into homo sapien sapiens) so why do some people try to use Multiregional as a justification for the idea that the "races" are genetically different when there has been a significant amount of research that supports otherwise.

As far as I know the only difference is in Europeans who have 1-4% lower-functioning human (Neanderthal) DNA. However, this does not negate the fact that we are all homo sapien sapiens (modern humans) regardless.

Why such a fuss?

(1) Exact Neanderthal contribution is somewhat controversial, and if any of us have it, it's not just Europeans; and (2) some of us appear also to have genetic input from another hominid, Denisovans.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/denisovan/

But to your broader question, of course there are people motivated by insidious ideologies who view multiregionalism as a way "out" of having African ancestry, but not all multiregionalists are racists. There's a bit more here.

http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/johanson.html