PDA

View Full Version : Geno 2.0 on sale for $159.95

brygian
07-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Limited time offer! We just reduced the price of the Geno 2.0 DNA Ancestry Kit - now available for $159.99 USD. Share with your friends and family!

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=2001246

zulkif
07-26-2014, 12:41 AM
This offer seems attractive but there are some negative comments I have read recently, for example missing many SNPs.
Some advise to wait for the GENO 3 - not sure if its results can be imported to FTDNA. Others suggest alternative tests.

brygian
07-26-2014, 11:49 AM
There is no test that covers all SNPs - even BigY and FGC miss a lot of SNPs. Whether Geno2 is a good choice depends on your haplogroup, your current level of testing and your future plans.

Xolotl
07-27-2014, 09:15 PM
From what i've heard and seen, It is almost as good as the other genetic DNA testing companies despite their low count of snp testing. What matters the most about this is their reference sampling database.

I like the fact that they test out the haplogroups along with the autosomal unlike some genetic companies like for example FTDNA/AncestryDNA, the price is still hefty though but pretty recommendable I guess.

rms2
07-28-2014, 02:37 AM
This offer seems attractive but there are some negative comments I have read recently, for example missing many SNPs.
Some advise to wait for the GENO 3 - not sure if its results can be imported to FTDNA. Others suggest alternative tests.

I bought the Geno 2.0 test for my old father last year, and I do not regret it. It's a pretty comprehensive test, since it gives one y-dna SNP results, mtDNA results, and autosomal results. Its biggest shortcoming, in my view, especially for those who have never tested before, is that it does not include STR results. Geno 2.0 results can be imported to FTDNA, and FTDNA is the best place to acquire the STR markers Geno 2.0 lacks.

The sale price makes Geno 2.0 a pretty good deal.

rock
08-06-2014, 07:41 AM
my father's Geno2.0 results show he has one different Y-SNP than me,later sanger sequence confirmed.we are 111 STR exact match.for me Geno2.0 is high-throughput test,but this is only my case

GTC
08-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Given the slew of DNA products emerging and the ever decreasing prices, I would have expected to be reading about Geno 3 by now.

vettor
08-06-2014, 07:22 PM
I bought the Geno 2.0 test for my old father last year, and I do not regret it. It's a pretty comprehensive test, since it gives one y-dna SNP results, mtDNA results, and autosomal results. Its biggest shortcoming, in my view, especially for those who have never tested before, is that it does not include STR results. Geno 2.0 results can be imported to FTDNA, and FTDNA is the best place to acquire the STR markers Geno 2.0 lacks.

The sale price makes Geno 2.0 a pretty good deal.

did you get the negative tested results as well?
I was promised these negative from Natgeno but have never received them..............they stated something along this line...............when you transfer to ftdna and check your tree, what is shown as presumed positive is actually negative from Natgeno ...............what is this stupidity !!

rms2
08-06-2014, 08:20 PM
No, I don't see any list of negatives among my dad's Geno 2.0 stuff.

dp
08-06-2014, 11:16 PM
I'm curious what Neanderthal admix Geno 2. users have been getting.
dp :-)

rms2
08-07-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm curious what Neanderthal admix Geno 2. users have been getting.

My dad's is below average: 1.5% Neanderthal and 0.7% Denisovan. His Geno 2.0 page says the average for both is 2.1%.

Erik
09-13-2014, 02:31 AM
I just ordered it. :)

Erik
09-18-2014, 11:12 PM
I just got it and did it. I'm excited!

jesus
09-18-2014, 11:29 PM
How is it different from 23andme and other services ? just the Denisovan thing ?

zulkif
09-19-2014, 02:14 AM
The purpose is to find in depth information about haplogroups and also Neanderthal/Denisovan percentages.

What about the Neanderthal/Denisovan DNA - is it bad or good to have from that blood - how do those percentages benefit us?

dp
09-19-2014, 04:25 PM
What about the Neanderthal/Denisovan DNA - is it bad or good to have from that blood - how do those percentages benefit us?
For Tibetans very useful. Check out:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v512/n7513/full/nature13408.html
PS: for us well I have heard that Neanderthal had gene markers for red hair. [I wonder what color eyes those with it may have had :-)]

rms2
09-19-2014, 04:29 PM
I recall reading somewhere that the variant responsible for red hair among Neanderthals was not the same as those responsible for red hair among modern humans.