PDA

View Full Version : but I like the 30,000 yr old flower

MikeWhalen
07-21-2014, 11:05 AM
The main part of this article is about an ancient virus that was dug up and came back to life and the various ramifications of it
Almost as an aside, they talked about a some seeds they found at the bottom of a squirrel hole in a Siberian dig that they tried to grow and had one great success...I found that more fascinating than the rest of the story and the flower, which has not been seen for so long is back
-for once, science does something pretty

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquinox/pithovirus-sibericum-giant-ancient-virus-hints-life-origins-194133947.html

Mike

PS-the flower is 30,000 yrs old, sorry for tittle but it wont let me correct it

Little bit
07-22-2014, 12:59 AM
I like the flower, too, reminds me of wild flowers I've seen here in Wisconsin. I'm surprised they haven't marketed it but I wonder if it would be unethical? The thing could turn out to be more aggressive than dandelions or kill modern bees with their pollen. I read something about fruit flies that showed that if males are allowed to 'evolve' and mate with non-evolved females, the evolved males sperm will actually kill the females. Maybe pollinators from today would be unequipped for it and it's pollen could make them sick, or worse.

AJL
07-22-2014, 02:57 AM
^^ Title changed.

DeboraLee
10-16-2014, 09:40 AM
PS-the flower is 30,000 yrs old, sorry for tittle but it wont let me correct it

Wulf Warrior
10-18-2014, 04:15 PM
That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing this :).