PDA

View Full Version : Mamluk's, some Palestinian results

Mamluk
07-25-2014, 03:03 PM
A few years into researching family roots, and I just now got around to processing data through Eurogenes. (I'm always behind everyone else, and naive, when it comes to anything related to the latest technology!) Also, if I'm reading these correctly, I'm not seeing much ancestry coming from the Balkans and Central Asia (other than our haplogroups)--maybe that ancestry was too far back in time to be detected by these calculators. I will post our 23andme results first, followed by Eurogenes:

Paternal haplogroup: R1a1a-F1345*
father's mtDNA: J*
mother's mtDNA: B5b1c
wife's mtDNA: J1b
wife's paternal haplogroup: J2b1
grandmother's paternal haplogroup: J2b1
brother's wife's mtDNA: H2a
brother's wife's father's mtDNA: T1b
brother's wife's father's father's mtDNA: T2f
brother's wife's paternal haplogroup: J2

My paternal family's ancestral town (also my wife's family): Safad, north Galilee (aka. Tzfat, Israel)
Family oral history states ancestry from: Galilean Arabs (Palestinian), Balkans (Arnavut and Serbian [lacking paper trail]), Turkic (Mamluk)
My brother's wife's family's ancestral town: around Jaffa (near Tel Aviv)
Their family's oral history states ancestry from: Palestinian coastal Arabs, Balkans (Bosnians). (My brother's wife's paternal grandmother came from Kraków.)

3 of my father's grandparents are from Safad, and one paternal grandmother was a Galilean Arab from Tiberias (Sea of Galilee).
7 of my wife's great-grandparents are from Safad, one great-grandmother was from Tripoli, Lebanon.

My father's "conservative" results:

My father's "speculative" results:

My "speculative" results:

My wife's "speculative" results:

My sister-in-law's "speculative" results:

(to be continued...)

Mamluk
07-25-2014, 03:09 PM
Her father's "speculative" results:

My father's Eurogenes K13 pie chart:

His K36 pie chart:

K13 again:

K36 again:

I have not yet read posts on any of the threads regarding Eurogenes analysis, etc, so I'm still unaware what the latest updates are regarding this tool.

AJL
07-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Have you run your father's kit on the Oracle for mixed populations? It looks like he could be about 1/8th Balkanite (i.e. one great-grandparent).

parasar
07-25-2014, 04:37 PM
A few years into researching family roots, and I just now got around to processing data through Eurogenes. (I'm always behind everyone else, and naive, when it comes to anything related to the latest technology!) Also, if I'm reading these correctly, I'm not seeing much ancestry coming from the Balkans and Central Asia (other than our haplogroups)--maybe that ancestry was too far back in time to be detected by these calculators ...

No doubt. Much like the Locke H-M82 whose autosomal results are virtually indistinguishable from Americans of European colonial descent.
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?2372-Updated-H-tree-by-Yfull&p=42177&viewfull=1#post42177

Mamluk
07-25-2014, 11:28 PM
AJL, is this it?

Mamluk
07-25-2014, 11:55 PM
It looks like he could be about 1/8th Balkanite (i.e. one great-grandparent).

It would be coming from more than one great-grandparent (both of his maternal grandparents, each with Balkan ancestry, are 1st cousins).

------------------------------
I've been reading that "African" admixture in the Near East is intrinsic in the gene pool, as it shows up in our results, despite that there is no record or oral history of having any ancestors coming directly from Africa (not even Egypt), especially since the society and culture which our older generations came from were sometimes quite prejudiced.

Also surprising are the Iberian, French and North Atlantic segments, and then the Baloch in the Harappa result.

Generally speaking, many Near Easterners, including Egyptians, that come from cities tend to be heavily admixed over the centuries, whereas those from tribes and villages are more homogenous, and I question if some of these analysis tools initially labeled the base data as "Middle Eastern," irrespective of considering family backgrounds. I'm just hypothesizing, but for example, many Alexandrian Egyptians are heavily admixed with Greek--in some cases almost all Greek, and they appear that way too--but since all 4 great-grandparents were born in Egypt, perhaps in the incipient stages of forming the software (some Alexandrians could have been some of the first participants) and what should have been considered "Greek" segments are now just called "Northeast African."

AJL
07-26-2014, 02:07 AM
AJL, is this it?

Yes, that generally reads "On average a little more European than other Palestinians but mainly Palestinian." Interesting.

King
11-16-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm so lost in the sauce. Why are you more than 50% different than your dad? Don't you get half of your dna from your dad? Does this mean your mom is 100% East Asian?

Also why does your wife and her sister differ in results? Shouldn't siblings have the same results?

Someone PLEASE help me understand this?

Mamluk
11-17-2014, 05:03 AM
My Mom is mostly East Asian, with minor West European (Iberian). (A side note: my father has some trace amounts of East Asian, and my wife has trace amounts of Northeast Asian too.)

My sister-in-law is my brother's wife (no blood relation to me). She is a Saudi national, of Palestinian ancestry (Jaffa), on mother's and father's side, but her paternal grandmother's family came from Kraków (present-day Poland, but they considered themselves German).

King
11-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Ah. I see. Thanks for the clarification. It all makes sense now :p.

John Doe
11-17-2014, 02:37 PM
A few years into researching family roots, and I just now got around to processing data through Eurogenes. (I'm always behind everyone else, and naive, when it comes to anything related to the latest technology!) Also, if I'm reading these correctly, I'm not seeing much ancestry coming from the Balkans and Central Asia (other than our haplogroups)--maybe that ancestry was too far back in time to be detected by these calculators. I will post our 23andme results first, followed by Eurogenes:

Paternal haplogroup: R1a1a-F1345*
father's mtDNA: J*
mother's mtDNA: B5b1c
wife's mtDNA: J1b
wife's paternal haplogroup: J2b1
grandmother's paternal haplogroup: J2b1
brother's wife's mtDNA: H2a
brother's wife's father's mtDNA: T1b
brother's wife's father's father's mtDNA: T2f
brother's wife's paternal haplogroup: J2

My paternal family's ancestral town (also my wife's family): Safad, north Galilee (aka. Tzfat, Israel)
Family oral history states ancestry from: Galilean Arabs (Palestinian), Balkans (Arnavut and Serbian [lacking paper trail]), Turkic (Mamluk)
My brother's wife's family's ancestral town: around Jaffa (near Tel Aviv)
Their family's oral history states ancestry from: Palestinian coastal Arabs, Balkans (Bosnians). (My brother's wife's paternal grandmother came from Kraków.)

3 of my father's grandparents are from Safad, and one paternal grandmother was a Galilean Arab from Tiberias (Sea of Galilee).
7 of my wife's great-grandparents are from Safad, one great-grandmother was from Tripoli, Lebanon.

My father's "conservative" results:

My father's "speculative" results:

My "speculative" results:

My wife's "speculative" results:

My sister-in-law's "speculative" results:

(to be continued...)

Just thought of saying that Jaffa became part of Tel Aviv, its full name is Tel Aviv-Jaffa. :-P

My results are:

Speculative:

98.4% Ashkenazi

0.3% Scandinavian

1.2% broadly European

Standard:

95.1% Ashkenazi

4.9% broadly European

Conservative:

78.5% Ashkenazi

21.2% broadly European

0.4% unassigned.