PDA

View Full Version : Is exposing racism bad?

aarnisotka
07-29-2014, 08:10 AM
Today I was given a warning, because I called another poster here a racist. Apparently it was a personal attack which are not allowed in this forum.

Now I am of course well aware that this person is not a nazi caricature of a Hollywood film, or a dude who walks around in a white cloak. In my opinion it gave me all the more reason to call him a racist, not because I wanted to attack him, but because I wanted to emphasize the covert and hidden mechanisms of racism that are at play all the time around us, often so subconscious, that we fail to recognize them. For me it was more of a way to ask: What is racism? Rather than anything personal against or for towards this guy. I guess I was a bit OT there, but I thought I sensed something there and did not want to close my eyes and pretend it did not happen. Sasha Baron Cohen has said on the subject of Borat: ‘The joke is not on Kazakhstan. I think the joke is on people who can believe that the Kazakhstan that I describe can exist – who believe that there’s a country where homosexuals wear blue hats and the women live in cages and they drink fermented horse urine and the age of consent has been raised to nine years old.’

AJL
07-29-2014, 03:55 PM
There is a mechanism to report allegations of racism here, and it does not consist of you attacking people in forum posts.

soulblighter
07-29-2014, 04:03 PM
As this thread relates to this forum, and not philosophy/ethics in general, I moved it to forum support.

If you feel people are ignorant about hidden racism, that is your personal view and you are welcome to express it with a view to educate rather than be inflammatory and accusatory. If you truly feel someone is violating terms, the mechanism is to raise the issue with Admins/ Mods.